Thor (2018) Comic Run Discussion Thread

Duriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@thor321: Eh i wouldn't go to that extreme, i would certainly say when he is Unworthy he isn't as top tier as he is when Worthy, that's obvious and that's what harmed him the most because for the most part during these few years he was Unworthy. He still is up there, he just has some dumb showings nowadays more than he does good ones.

Avatar image for deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4
deactivated-6044a3a59a9f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duriel: When plot becomes more important than character to suit a writer's needs.

hercuthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Two issues in, as well as what 4 into Avengers?, and they all suck. Art is vomit inducing, Aaron’s writing is terrible per usual and here’s the real kicker his writing was never good. His only “good” arc was with Gorr, and that story line was stolen from the Desak The God Slayer arc by Dan Jurgens.

You want good Thor written by people who respect him and Odin and all the supporting cast? Go read Jurgens or Simonson and so many others, not this trash.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't get so-called "hate-buying." I love Thor and Asgard but if I will a writer is doing poorly with their portrayal I refuse to spend my money to read something that I wont enjoy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ahem ok...

No Caption Provided

isn't Hela supposed to be SUPER, SUPER tall, taller than Thor even or my eyes are deceiving me???

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: i don't remember her ever remembering her being tall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She is taller than Thor and is listed as being 7 feet tall in every official bio.

Gilneas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aarons lowbaling of Thor continues i see. Now he casually and instantly dies from a dagger stabbing him.

Remind me again, isn't Aaron suppose to like Thor?

GucciBrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gilneas: what was the context, who killed him, weapon used, how did he survive,?

its not a surprise considering he almost died from rocks previously. they are probably aiming to write him like ww and how he used to be in the classic days

Gilneas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Gilneas

@guccibrick: Suddenly context matters, Loki, a dagger, he didn't survive, he is dead lmao.

GucciBrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gilneas: not context necessarily but details, specifics

that is not really too much of a low showing since lokis dagger is enchanted and i assume uru and thor got his arm cut off by an enchanted uru weapon before.

that seems odd he would die this early in the game though. i mean the comics have just started.

Gilneas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gilneas: not context necessarily but details, specifics

that is not really too much of a low showing since lokis dagger is enchanted and i assume uru and thor got his arm cut off by an enchanted uru weapon before.

that seems odd he would die this early in the game though. i mean the comics have just started.

Otherwise known as context.

We know nothing about the dagger other than Loki stabbed Thor with it to the chest and Thor died instantly.

GucciBrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gilneas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By coolcat4

@guccibrick: Thor told loki to kill him so he would go to Valhalla. in order to get the warriors of Valhalla. And it said he is dead but not actually.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Awful writing, awful art.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I tried reading a few issues but I'm just not even interested anymore it's just sad at this point, everything I see on here just reaffirms it too it's just trash and not even the Thor we are fans of.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems more like a Thor comic for children, and has the tone of the "Ragnarok" movie. Looks like ass.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Mooty_Pass

I'm so confused as to how this fits. In Avengers Loki seems to trying to kill earth? But is trying to save the Realms...HUH???

Thor seems like a comical now like i'm reading the "Funnies" off a Newspaper.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so confused as to how this fits. In Avengers Loki seems to trying to kill earth? But is trying to save the Realms...HUH???

Jason Aaron hasn't written anything that makes sense in years lmao

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooty_pass said:

Why doesn't Editorial Say anything??? None of this makes sense. And Thanos is in Play??? where he come from???

I don't read a lot of Thor, and I have limited knowledge of Thor, this book is not helping me to like Thor. So I believe You.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98 said:
@mooty_pass said:

Why doesn't Editorial Say anything??? None of this makes sense. And Thanos is in Play??? where he come from???

I don't read a lot of Thor, and I have limited knowledge of Thor, this book is not helping me to like Thor. So I believe You.

Wish I knew tbh.

I don't blame you I wouldn't like Thor if I started reading in the current era it's hardly even the same character as in the past. If you want to like Thor go and read some old runs like Simonson's or Straczynski's run or even Jason Aaron's original run on him the God of Thunder arc before he lost the hammer the God butcher/ God Bomb arc is one of the best Thor arcs ever for me, which is weird considering Aaron destroyed the character straight after that run ahahaha

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98: Hmm ok. I'll do just that. God Butcher and what??? God of Thunder?.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Thorthunder98

@mooty_pass: God Butcher then God Bomb is two connected/continued arcs just read from God of Thunder issue 1 it's all good from there. God of Thunder is the name of the run the other names are names of the arcs within the run.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98: OH! I was about to say damn I have to read 3 Books? lol. Ok, thank you. I'll let you know what me think about it. :-)

Gilneas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooty_pass said:

The worst part is both those Loki's are written by the same writer, AT THE SAME TIME.

So Aaron has no excuse for sucking and being inconsistent but i think he has been riding the lazy train for a while now, ever since his female Thor got promoted into mainstream media, i mean for Christ sake it got featured on the View which is watched by tens of millions of people he has gotten a lot of attention and ppl that normally don't buy comics started buying his which made him feel safe and once you feel safe you become lazy.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gilneas said:
@thorthunder98 said:
@mooty_pass said:

The worst part is both those Loki's are written by the same writer, AT THE SAME TIME.

So Aaron has no excuse for sucking and being inconsistent but i think he has been riding the lazy train for a while now, ever since his female Thor got promoted into mainstream media, i mean for Christ sake it got featured on the View which is watched by tens of millions of people he has gotten a lot of attention and ppl that normally don't buy comics started buying his which made him feel safe and once you feel safe you become lazy.

That may be true. And yes you are absolutely right. But that is NO EXCUSE for Editorial to NOT step up and say "Hey this does not match with what you wrote in another story" I understand Loki we ALL know Loki. But as we all have pointed out he is a complete BAD GUY in Avengers and now he's acting like a Saint and somewhat protector of the Realms??? A minute ago Thor just said he WANTED to Murder Loki then changed his mind and was like "I still Love you Little Brother"

I have no idea what Marvel is doing. The X-Men is worse they have SO MANY books we X-Fans can't even tell what transpired first or what. I feel VERY BAD for you Thor fans. It sucks to see your favorite writer shit on your favorite especially since they wrote that character very well.

My Condolences.

The_Wotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321 said:

ahem ok...

isn't Hela supposed to be SUPER, SUPER tall, taller than Thor even or my eyes are deceiving me???

@thor321 said:

She is taller than Thor and is listed as being 7 feet tall in every official bio.

She is also a SHAPESHIFTER, not the first time of her changing her size.

The_Wotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By The_Wotan

@mooty_pass said:

To be fair, current Loki's characterisation is a classic mess, his own series provided different view on him and changed his worldview, same with his appearances on Doctor Strange, he is more on the "good" side as portrayed in those series, in fact IIRC in Loki: Agent of Asgard series, he proclaims that he doesn't want to go by the same path that he did in the past like fighting Avengers, since it would mean eternal burning for him (metaphysically), so basically Aaron's characterisation contradicts Loki's new estabilished status quo, like making him act in villainous manner and fight against Avengers. It's no different then let's say Magneto going nuts and wanting to commit genocide on human population for no reason, even though that's not how his characterisation works.

Though this series has many problems, but the most astounding one is of course Thor's characterisation, it's utterly bad and doesn't fit the already estabilished narrative, it's as if this is not Thor, but some fake character, add to that his mentality is totally different than the way Thor should behave, add to that the whole God of Hammers nonsense, and well the problems just become bigger and biggger.

Overall, Aaron should not write Thor anymore, he totally messed up every narrative element that is needed for proper Thor series.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@the_wotan said:
@mooty_pass said:

To be fair, current Loki's characterisation is a classic mess, his own series provided different view on him and changed his worldview, same with his appearances on Doctor Strange, he is more on the "good" side as portrayed in those series, in fact IIRC in Loki: Agent of Asgard series, he proclaims that he doesn't want to go by the same path that he did in the past like fighting Avengers, since it would mean eternal burning for him (metaphysically), so basically Aaron's characterisation contradicts Loki's new estabilished status quo, like making him act in villainous manner and fight against Avengers. It's no different then let's say Magneto going nuts and wanting to commit genocide on human population for no reason, even though that's not how his characterisation works.

Though this series has many problems, but the most astounding one is of course Thor's characterisation, it's utterly bad and doesn't fit the already estabilished narrative, it's as if this is not Thor, but some fake character, add to that his mentality is totally different than the way Thor should behave, add to that the whole God of Hammers nonsense, and well the problems just become bigger and biggger.

Overall, Aaron should not write Thor anymore, he totally messed up every narrative element that is needed for proper Thor series.

Well you guys have a better grasp of this Character again I have limited knowledge on all things Thor. It's just a head scratch to me. It's like we have two different Loki's. As for Magneto his characterization has changed from good guy to bad guy to back to good guy etc. Now he is about to transfer back to being a bad guy. But we actually see the transition for Magneto. For Loki? TO ME it's like he's playing both sides. And these Hammers Thor has makes me wonder if Thor has the Gold hammer in Avengers MAYBE Thor happened BEFORE Avengers???

The_Wotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooty_pass:

Well you guys have a better grasp of this Character again I have limited knowledge on all things Thor.

Do not worry, grasping basic narrative elements of Thor is not that hard, the main issue is understanding the core of these characters and that's it, as well as bit of continuity issue, since the core does change (evolve if done proper characterisation).

It's just a head scratch to me. It's like we have two different Loki's.

It's more of a head scratch that Aaron ignores Loki's estabilished character development by previous works of other writers, but the worst part is always Thor, since Loki is not that much of a big deal in grand scope compared to what he did to Thor, now there lies the absolute butchery of the character.

As for Magneto his characterization has changed from good guy to bad guy to back to good guy etc.

You are correct, but you see after House of M, it changed his WOLDVIEW drastically, so he understands that he can no longer wage battles against his own kind, nor take risky actions due to these changes, hence he changed his view and joined Cyclops.

After that he was consistently on the side of the good guys.

Now he is about to transfer back to being a bad guy. But we actually see the transition for Magneto.

Correct in specific ways.

This is off-topic, but Magneto is not gonna become a bad guy, again, sure he has a certain vendetta against Emma Frost, but let's be real here, she deserves that in honesty, given what her recent actions like in Death of X/Inhumans vs X-Men and so on... so essentially it was Emma who became a more villainous, Magneto even if he tries to "kill" her, would still fall under the category of understandable action and be classified as anti-hero type actions. But given what Bunn does overall, Magneto is gonna have Emma on the ropes, but X-team will convince him to change his view on this subject, it's Magneto after all, diplomacy is a good way to end threats.

For Loki? TO ME it's like he's playing both sides.

Yes, it seems that he plays both sides, and the sad part is we don't know on whose side he truly is as we don't know what type of actions he will do, but given how Aaron wrote him, he acts like a villainous douchebag, sure Loki is a douchebag, but without villainous part, that character growth was estabilished by 6 years of a big continuios Loki character arc, by Gillen and Ewing who changed Loki's status quo from villain into anti-hero and even though, in his own series he said, - nope, no more evil acts (no mischief, but trickery is still part of him), no more fighting good guys like Avengers. What Aaron did was essentially throw out of the window 6 years of Loki's character development, but that's nothing compared to what he did to Thor, since he not only ignored his characterisation, but also absolutely butchered every narrative element of this character, from lore to world view/mentality of the character.

And these Hammers Thor has makes me wonder if Thor has the Gold hammer in Avengers MAYBE Thor happened BEFORE Avengers???

I think i agree with you on this stance, this specific Thor story arc probably happened BEFORE the Avengers arc, but it still doesn't excuse the vast amounts of narrative holes produced by the writer.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@the_wotan: I agree with your whole post. That's why I just said to the other user, I truly feel VERY BAD for you Thor fans. To me it's like a slap in the face. How can shit on a character you did GREAT work on in the past?? Thor to me as of now seems like a joke. He gets swatted out the way by Dark Celestial(ignoring the fact he has fought Galactus and Celestials before) then gets knocked around in his own Book....kinda sucks.

This is NO excuse for Editorial. Everything in Marvel is confusing I no longer can tell what's going on and what happened and how this is tied. Power Levels today are confusing to me now.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Aaron purposely messed Thor up so when he jumps to DC he can have a laugh hate that guy..... Simonson did the best Thor

Gilneas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gilneas said:
@thorthunder98 said:
@mooty_pass said:

That may be true. And yes you are absolutely right. But that is NO EXCUSE for Editorial to NOT step up and say "Hey this does not match with what you wrote in another story" I understand Loki we ALL know Loki. But as we all have pointed out he is a complete BAD GUY in Avengers and now he's acting like a Saint and somewhat protector of the Realms??? A minute ago Thor just said he WANTED to Murder Loki then changed his mind and was like "I still Love you Little Brother"

I have no idea what Marvel is doing. The X-Men is worse they have SO MANY books we X-Fans can't even tell what transpired first or what. I feel VERY BAD for you Thor fans. It sucks to see your favorite writer shit on your favorite especially since they wrote that character very well.

My Condolences.

True.

To be fair not everything is bad at Marvel, have you maybe tried out the new Hulk book? I dunno how much of a Hulk guy you are, but the book itself is phenomenal most sites cite it as the best comic book out at the moment.

The_Wotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooty_pass:

I agree with your whole post.

Thanks. :)

That's why I just said to the other user, I truly feel VERY BAD for you Thor fans. To me it's like a slap in the face.

Yeah, though it's more than just a slap, it's more like a betrayal backstab, as the person, people knew and trusted did this horrible mess, it hits deeper because of that.

How can shit on a character you did GREAT work on in the past?? Thor to me as of now seems like a joke.

Yeah, still can't grasp how Aaron changed so drastically, he seemed like a good Thor writer at first, but then Aaron was showcasing instances of bad writing since 2010s.

He gets swatted out the way by Dark Celestial(ignoring the fact he has fought Galactus and Celestials before)

To be fair, this specific part doesn't bug me, since the comic estabilished that Dark Celestials are the most powerful variation of Celestials, after all Dark Celesitals swatted away modern host of Celestials as if they are nothing (the same Celestials Thor fought in the past), so Thor being swatted away like a fly does make sense given what we know about these characters.

then gets knocked around in his own Book....kinda sucks.

Yeah, this part has no contextual excuse though, it's just plain bad.

This is NO excuse for Editorial.

Absolutely. They seem very unprofessional and rather lazy, they don't do their job at all it seems.

Everything in Marvel is confusing I no longer can tell what's going on and what happened and how this is tied.

Yeah, modern Marvel's continuity does confusing elements, we don't know what fit where, and the sad part is that it is editors job to correct and clarify all of that, they are supposed to be the continuity cops checking so that everything is normal and understandable.

Power Levels today are confusing to me now.

They always were, but at least in the past there was at least some basic consistency. But i guess that is more than just writer problem, while it obviously stems from writers but is also connected to editorial mandate as well, since it's their job to check on these type of things.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_wotan: Did you see the Oct Solicitations???

@gilneas said:

True.

To be fair not everything is bad at Marvel, have you maybe tried out the new Hulk book? I dunno how much of a Hulk guy you are, but the book itself is phenomenal most sites cite it as the best comic book out at the moment.

Yes I have read the Hulk, it's very interesting. I like Hulk, but not a HUGE fan of him. However, his book is scary it has a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde feel to it and I LOVE that. I'm reading Dr. Strange, Thor, X-Men Gold-Red, Sentry, Black Panther, Captain America, Hulk and Captain Marvel they are not bad, but they are confusing as heck.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_wotan: but this is Aaron fam.

I doubt he thinks much about those stuff.

The_Wotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you see the Oct Solicitations???

Stark Odinson......well the mix of magic/science can work out for me, the concept does sound interesting, but i doubt the execution of it will be good.

Well, at least the new What If with Thor sounds cool.

@thor321 said:

but this is Aaron fam.

I doubt he thinks much about those stuff.

Well, can't disagree with that after he pulled "THE SUN" on us.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you think it couldn't get any worse, Aaron surprises you.

Honestly, Thor is a Mid-Tier now.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By jay_z94

@thekinfing: Everything ?

Just recently even, Thor died from a stab wound in his own comic. If we go back just a bit further, Thor nearly died in poisoned water, by falling on rocks and by the cold, something that She-Hulk effortlessly tanked.

GucciBrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_z94 said:

Just recently even, Thor died from a stab wound in his own comic. If we go back just a bit further, Thor nearly died in poisoned water, by falling on rocks and by the cold, something that She-Hulk effortlessly tanked.

Thor being weak to blunt force/piercing style attacks is nothing more than a return to the thor during classic times and even beyond. He wasn't bulletproof or stabproof and was vulnerable to pressure points, so it seems like its the same. He can probably take blasts from celestials or the full force of a star just fine, but will probably be weak to bullets and even blunt force like punches probably.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_z94 said:

Aaron being Aaron.

Gods cannot be killed so easily.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guccibrick: Which makes about zero sense. You can walk through the sun but OMG don't shoot me with a pistol.

GucciBrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: yea. they probably wanted to give him some kind of weakness besides the midgard serpent which was probably the original one they had in mind but was poorly planned since the serpent is so powerful and its so hard to actually obtain a tooth from it it was as if he had no weakness at all practically speaking. though we might see some faster combat speed from him now if they are going to have him dodging bullets or something

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is bulletproof lol.

Jane literally took bullets to the face and it only tickled her.

no way Thor will suddenly be vulnerable.

if that's the case, then Aaron needs to be fired ASAP.

The_Wotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who or what is stark odinson?

Basically in recent Infinity Wars event there is gonna be estabilished a narrative element where reality is completely reshaped, and Stark Odinson, is one of the many parts of that new reality's consequences, this character is gonna be a combination of Thor and Tony Stark obviously.

For more details you can check out Oct. Solitics.