Thor (2018) Comic Run Discussion Thread

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#501  Edited By Asgaard

I read somewhere in other site that Endgame was somehow inspired in Aaron's last take on Thor, but is it really?

Well Endgame totally contradicts Aaron's notions of self doubt = unworthy and the importance that being worthy has for Thor.

But, unlike Ragnarok that totally makes Aaron God of hammers notion a negligent take on the character, Endgame also contradicts and doesn't really know what was the meaning of being worthy established in the previous movies, making both Aaron's and Endgame take contradictory and not really seeded in the core of the character, i mean one could care less about the self doubt (and how messy Thor was) the other makes it the only variable about being worthy, even if the Thor already was confronted with the Gods are not worthy expression in the God butcher arc, and instead of delve into godly stuff i feel (don't read Thor comics for years now) that no one else humanized the Asgardians characters more than Jason the God butcher.

So, maybe its hard for some of us to not want to believe it, but the God Thor maybe have really died in Michael Avon Oeming Ragnarok, even if my first Thor comic (which i loved) was from JMS run, its like popularity is being slowly killing the character... There already are so many mundane/broken super heroes that what appealed to me in first place about Thor was the incredibly range of his stories and worlbuilding, not the complexity of the character, again for that we have other super heroes that live in Gotham or New York, they are not son of the personification of a planet and a Skyfather, who has a magical hammer, flying goats, and has a rainbow bridge/bifrost to travel to ever corner of the universe...

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I know we've tread this ground before, but, yeah, I don't need my superheroes to be completely relatable, if I wanted to read about characters "just like me" I'd read something other than comic books. Previous writers on Thor, especially during the 70s and 80s, imo, were able to strike a near perfect balance of portraying him as a powerful god, but also having a more vulnerable, "human" side. These days it's kind of gone to the humanizing extreme, and oftentimes comes off as comically melodramatic, farcical...

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321 said:
@antithetical said:
@thor321 said:
@antithetical said:
@theriogodofrage said:
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Apparently not only does Foster become Valkyrie, but she gets her own wings (so Pegasus' are pointless), but she gets her own flaming chain weapon thing? I have no idea why Aaron has such a godsdamn hard on for Jane Foster, but I'll bet money that shells suddenly be "the greatest Valkyrie who ever lived" just like she's supposedly "the greatest wielder of Mjolnir". I'm glad Jason Aaron is off of Thor after WotR.

Unfortunately, with this project, he'll still be able to do damage, even if not directly.

expect retcons... heavy ones.

I suspect this Jane Valkyrie title to either be a limited miniseries or likely not make it past 5-7 issues, 10 tops, before being cancelled. So far, nothing I've seen in the few teaser articles make this look worthwhile. About the only way I'd have the least bit of interest is if it turns out Annabelle Riggs switched places the moment Malekith delivered the killing blow in WotR 2, trapping Brunnhilde in Valhalla, and with no physical body to return to, or other Valkyries to assist her (due to them all being dead... though oddly enough Hildegard is still kicking, so far), Jane is enlisted to retrieve Brunnhilde and restore her to her proper place as the chooser of the slain. Of course, at the same time, killing Brunnhilde solves Marvel's "Valkyrie problem", and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this book keeps "Val" dead, Jane is tasked with assembling a new Valkyior and the Exiles (MCU) Valkyrie is moved into the main continuity.

well Jane has a pretty big fan base, believe it or not.

it probably won't be a mini.

I'm surprised, guess it's more of the "she's just like me so I can relate and identify" crowd. Anyway, regardless, even if it is an ongoing, it won't last past a year.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Very true well said

Thanks...

@asgaard: I know we've tread this ground before, but, yeah, I don't need my superheroes to be completely relatable, if I wanted to read about characters "just like me" I'd read something other than comic books. Previous writers on Thor, especially during the 70s and 80s, imo, were able to strike a near perfect balance of portraying him as a powerful god, but also having a more vulnerable, "human" side. These days it's kind of gone to the humanizing extreme, and oftentimes comes off as comically melodramatic, farcical...

Exactly my friend...

And beyond that, there is this other thing called hypocrisy, today everyone goes bananas with the american savior concept (not that i necessarily disagree), except if its something already labeled as progressive... I am obviously talking about Jane Foster Valkyrie (only knew about this right in this thread), because even if i would prefer a Mcu Brunnhilde, (i am fan of the character), Tessa/Val is still Asgardian, Jane is American, Valhalla, Thor and Asgard should be... wait for it... about Asgardians/Gods...

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#506  Edited By coolcat4

The war of the realms comic hasn't been great. However, the one from today Thor doesn't lose to the giants, he kills hundreds it appears and is ready for more.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many writers these days are following the Bendis model of characterization. Snarky dialogue, screwed up personality and incredibly flawed. Blur the lines of hero and villain to reflect some quasi-dystopian, hyper-individualistic society.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many writers these days are following the Bendis model of characterization. Snarky dialogue, screwed up personality and incredibly flawed. Blur the lines of hero and villain to reflect some quasi-dystopian, hyper-individualistic society.

couldnt have said it better myself.
Heroes are just looking less like heroes man

uprise951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont wanna look like crushing your dreams about thor's frost giant army slaughter but he actually lost his arm again and had to use warrior's madness.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont wanna look like crushing your dreams about thor's frost giant army slaughter but he actually lost his arm again and had to use warrior's madness.

how the hell thor needs to be in warriors madness but on earth street levelers having their way with frost giants......

uprise951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: that was an extremely extended engagment which lasted from a few days to a week, but still, thor losing his arm and needing warrior's madness is such a bullshit, but know that I find his other wounds justifiable.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uprise951 said:

how the hell thor needs to be in warriors madness but on earth street levelers having their way with frost giants......

Welcome to marvel

thor321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't read the issue because I dropped Thor comics a few weeks ago but didn't he also lost a hammer while fighting those giants???

I could have sworn I saw a broken hammer.

Uru is the shittiest metal in the Multiverse.

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He lost an arm but he wasn't on Warrior's Madness, Logan mentioned he knows that look, he calls it berserker rage, it's just Thor bloodlusted, no Warrior's Madness anywhere.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uprise951: I dont think he lost his arm. I think he destroyed his arm from hitting them so much. Just like his hammer.

uprise951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4: @thor_parker82:

For parker first, just look at his eyes, thats no different than the warrior's madness in the unworthy thor run which also had thor's face changing drastically like that. Berserker Rage is rather a general term

And you, that still counts as loss of the arm

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uprise951: Ya but your making it sound like the giants took it from him and that it is a bad thing. It just shows that he has terrible equipment that cant handle his level of power.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: I believe it has also been stated that when Thor is in his warrior madness that he cant even form sentences and speak properly. But he does here.

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4: @thor_parker82:

For parker first, just look at his eyes, thats no different than the warrior's madness in the unworthy thor run which also had thor's face changing drastically like that. Berserker Rage is rather a general term

And you, that still counts as loss of the arm

Warrior's madness is just the term for being bloodlusted though, that misconception that there's a massive amp has been dismissed and ignored, so even if it's Warrior's Madness, it doesn't really make any difference, though Aaron seems to forget that it supposedly can't be cured.

Still, if Thor was in WM, then that's the term that he would have used, but it was not.

@coolcat4 said:

@thor_parker82: I believe it has also been stated that when Thor is in his warrior madness that he cant even form sentences and speak properly. But he does here.

Don't remember that tbh, but if he was in WM in here, then that's the term he would've used.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: Eh i think i am actually wrong about not being able to speak.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uprise951: are the giants buffed in this story? when thor went for months without rest while fighting hordes he didnt take any significant damage.

Current thor is really weak IMO

thor321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4: considering he took damage, IMO he lost it because of giants.

Aaron's writing is trash.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: Well i completely agree that aarons writing is trash. But i dont think he lost.

thor321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4: you can took it both ways.

considering it's Aaron, I'll took it as damage taken.

btw, Asgard's metal is the shittiest in the Multiverse.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321 said:

@coolcat4: you can took it both ways.

considering it's Aaron, I'll took it as damage taken.

btw, Asgard's metal is the shittiest in the Multiverse.

aaron shits on everything that is on asgard >_<

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: Uru is complete garbage now. The mythology of Asgard is think is permanently destroyed

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: @coolcat4: @titing2101: I was thinking, how many issues was Jane around as Thor ? The first volume had 8 issues, second volume had 22 isues plus 700-706.

That makes 37 issues, Jane's story took place in 37 issues. It feels like forever for us, Jane became Thor on 2014, that makes 5 years, but if you look at it, 37 issues is not that much actually.

Yet Aaron managed to undermine, humilliate and destroy all the elements of 600+ issues in just 37 issues.

thor321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: even when Thor became Thor again (this sounds retarded LoL) he was still destroying everything... and still is.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: @coolcat4: @titing2101: I was thinking, how many issues was Jane around as Thor ? The first volume had 8 issues, second volume had 22 isues plus 700-706.

That makes 37 issues, Jane's story took place in 37 issues. It feels like forever for us, Jane became Thor on 2014, that makes 5 years, but if you look at it, 37 issues is not that much actually.

Yet Aaron managed to undermine, humilliate and destroy all the elements of 600+ issues in just 37 issues.

One thing that makes it feel so long is that we've been waiting for something, that aaron woudn't even give us, the redemption of not only thor, but the whole asgardians. He just makes it worse.

Not only does he put SJW and agenda in his stories, his beliefs also. Involving gods and mortals, you can see he did inject his atheist beliefs since GoT. don't get me wrong, not hating on his beliefs.

thor321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#533  Edited By thor321

@titing2101: if you look at his run only men suffered.

Odin, Thor, Heimdall, Loki

While women like Jane and IrrelevantSinceForever Freyja are the best there is.

Freyja is apparently the most unlucky wife ever while Jane, a mortal, gets every privilege that not even a God from Asgard can get

1. Being Thor

2. All Mother

3. Valkyrie

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: @thor321: @thor_parker82: See Aaron needs to leave. And we need a writer for the entire mythos not just asgards pantheon. The gods do not feel or seem like gods. They need mystery and a sense of power. Then from there rebuild Thor has the best of them.

Its strange i think the God of War universe is far superior now in how the gods are portrayed beside them being mostly bad.

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321 said:

@thor_parker82: even when Thor became Thor again (this sounds retarded LoL) he was still destroying everything... and still is.

Exactly, I cringe every time I see his Thor bad-mouthing Odin and insulting him, and his constant depiction of Odin being a tyrant man-child, I cringe every time I see stuff like this.

No Caption Provided

@thor_parker82 said:

One thing that makes it feel so long is that we've been waiting for something, that aaron woudn't even give us, the redemption of not only thor, but the whole asgardians. He just makes it worse.

Not only does he put SJW and agenda in his stories, his beliefs also. Involving gods and mortals, you can see he did inject his atheist beliefs since GoT. don't get me wrong, not hating on his beliefs.

There has been no payoff for his underwhelming run.

@coolcat4 said:

@titing2101: @thor321: @thor_parker82: See Aaron needs to leave. And we need a writer for the entire mythos not just asgards pantheon. The gods do not feel or seem like gods. They need mystery and a sense of power. Then from there rebuild Thor has the best of them.

Its strange i think the God of War universe is far superior now in how the gods are portrayed beside them being mostly bad.

We really need a new writer.

Who would be your pick.

thor321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#536  Edited By thor321

@thor_parker82 said:
@thor321 said:

Exactly, I cringe every time I see his Thor bad-mouthing Odin and insulting him, and his constant depiction of Odin being a tyrant man-child, I cringe every time I see stuff like this.

No Caption Provided

never before were Odin and Thor written like this.

I don't know how can some people on CBR say that Odin was like that before and how it goes well with how he was written during Lee and Kirby days.

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: Odin was never like that, quite the contray, he had always been my favorite supporting character from Thor books, he was always awesome to see.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: Ya i agree i think we will after war of the realms. But im not sure who. Maybe Al Ewing if he can take interest like he has with hulk. I think he could add some good elements and respect back.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: A new writer, how about another Walter Simonson run?? I'm not sure who marvel has I'd trust with Rebuilding Thor again.

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4 said:

@thor_parker82: Ya i agree i think we will after war of the realms. But im not sure who. Maybe Al Ewing if he can take interest like he has with hulk. I think he could add some good elements and respect back.

Al Ewing could be good I guess.

@thor_parker82: A new writer, how about another Walter Simonson run?? I'm not sure who marvel has I'd trust with Rebuilding Thor again.

Donny Cates

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: Ewoooo Nice hadn't thought of him. Venom, Guardians, and Dr Strange all are solid and there enough mystic in there to potentially make Thor great again. Maybe we need to torment marvel into with petitions

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@destinyman75: I'd support that petition haha, and I think that a lot of people would.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thor321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321: Odin was never like that, quite the contray, he had always been my favorite supporting character from Thor books, he was always awesome to see.

Ikr

ridiculous.

their philosophy on CBR is funny asf.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4 said:

Al Ewing could be good I guess.

@destinyman75 said:

Donny Cates

I Iiked hickmans version of thor. even the unworthy one. Very different from aaron

@thor321 said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Ikr

ridiculous.

lol those guys are aarons alt

thor321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321 said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Ikr

ridiculous.

Odinforce is depended on Odin and Freyja's marriage.

Freyja has Odin and Thor beat in magic.

No Caption Provided

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321 said:
@titing2101 said:
@thor321 said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Ikr

ridiculous.

No Caption Provided

lol where the hell are they getting that?

thor321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor321 said:
@titing2101 said:
@thor321 said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Ikr

ridiculous.

No Caption Provided

lol where the hell are they getting that?

CBR

Thor_Parker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The logic and arguments from Aaron supporters on CBR are one of the worst shits I've ever seen lol.