Impression of Ragnarok as a Thor fan

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Impression of Ragnarok as a Thor fan (54 votes)

exceeded expectations 57%
met expectations 24%
fell short of expectations 19%

How did you like it?

• 
HmThatwasgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely exceeded my expectations. I didn't expect much from it after the Thor v Hulk fight, but it managed to carry me all the way through the film. Hela is a great antagonist and I hope to see more of her.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely exceeded my expectations. I didn't expect much from it after the Thor v Hulk fight, but it managed to carry me all the way through the film. Hela is a great antagonist and I hope to see more of her.

took the words right outta my mouth. The fight scenes were sensational and what you would expect from powerhouses like Thor Hulk Hela & Surtur

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It was amazing

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i actually didnt expect it to be this good

from everyone complaining about it being a comedy i was expecting an average movie

walked out with the best thor movie

adderworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By adderworks

Loved it, the humor was good. The action was on point, and I walked away without having to worry about the SJW bits in the comicbooks. So, yeah - nailed it, Marvel. :)

Side note: The shift from serious tone to comedy, and back again, was key for me. It moved fast in all the right places while keeping humor to the parts where the story slows down.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

I thought it was very good way better the TDW I just didn't really like what they did with Hela first she's a queen then she's not she's the goddess of death blah blah i think she needed more screen time to be fleshed out and it will be weird when infinity war comes out and if there's actually a mistress death then what was Hela unless she was her Idk and I'm not a fan of unarmed Thor would have liked to see Jarnbjorn or for him to at least keep Gungnir and use it but overall great film 8/10

Also don't knos how I feel about him losing his eye

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgettable mostly. Peppered with some cool parts and a nostalgic Thor/Hulk skirmish but it's not the kind of film I would've liked to see. A movie, IMO, can be fun without resorting to pervasive fratboy humor.

MorbusGrav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MorbusGrav

Liked it as a movie, don't like it as a Thor movie though.

JanJuKBMa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far better than I expected. I expected it to be a childish comedy, but most of the funny scenes were great and the serious parts of the movie were great, too. Moreover the final fight with Hela was more brutal than I expected it to be. (Loved it!) The only thing that bothers me: At some points Thor and Hulk still seem waaay underpowered. I mean: Thor being locked up in a normal cell and being kept in check by some small electrifying device? Come on... In the Planet Hulk comic they at least tried to explain it with Hulk being heavily weakened after falling through that portal.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgettable mostly. Peppered with some cool parts and a nostalgic Thor/Hulk skirmish but it's not the kind of film I would've liked to see. A movie, IMO, can be fun without resorting to pervasive fratboy humor.

I kind of feel the same, I wasn't going in with high expectations after all the hype, and it pretty much stayed in line with how I thought it would be.

odinson011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was an amazing movie, and it tells that there is lot to come in mcu. I never liked thor movie that much but this movie was really amazing.

http://www.crazzycomics.com/14-fan-theories-about-the-mcu-after-thor-ragnarok/

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was great but I feel Thor needed a weapon finding Jarnjorn on Saakar when hes talking to Korg about his hammer in the weapons room wouldve been cool I'm just not a big weaponless Thor fan hopefully it's addressed on infinity war though

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

speaking for my dad(and old school Thor fan), it didn't match expectations just going in to the movie

he had to go in a second time thinking about it specifically as a comedy to enjoy it

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it lacking personally. I was really hoping for a dark epic akin to Fear Itself, maybe with a slope of humor into dark tragedy to really sink it home, but honestly this movie felt like it only had a very light skimming of Thor. One thing I always liked about classic Thor stories was how Asgard was more distinct and set-apart from other alien races, but it really didn't feel that way in the movie. Aside from how weak a lot of the Asgardians were, the GotG-like tone made me wrinkle my nose several times. I'd been hoping that post-Doctor Strange would allow for more magic and godliness but there was almost no magic to be seen.

The Grandmaster was funny. I am not a fan of him being funny. They toasted him just like they did the Collector. Not impressed. And Hela? Cool, very intimidating, but weak. Goddess of Death? More like Goddess of Knives.

All in all I gave it a 6/10. Good movie, bad Thor movie. Complete cop-out with Surtur. Death of Asgard was a cool twist but for a movie called Ragnarok I expected more. Marvel needs to get their act together.

ad-arts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did not like it. It was trying to be unnecessairly funny.

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: The Asgardians were weak in the sense that they were nothing more than strong, slightly durable humans. I had gone into this hoping to see a true godly war but all they did was punch each other. Thor fell to an electrified net! And Valkyrie, although a great fighter, had very little true power (by that I mean something other than being strong). They were impressive but they weren't gods, and honestly the movie which I felt did the most justice to the concept was the original Thor--mostly because it showed a distinct contrast between Thor, Loki, and the humans around him.

Regarding the magic, I mean something we haven't seen before. Something impressive. Loki getting caught by a portal spell? Seriously? All he ever does in these movies is cast a few illusions. Magic, maybe, but nothing even CLOSE to the flair we've encountered in Doctor Strange and nothing like I was hoping for with how grand this was supposed to be. Most of the magic was very subtle and while I liked that in the beginning, it got tiring. Most of the things you've listed are exactly that--stuff referenced or appearing vaguely but more as passive traits than actual spells. Stuff that could even be argued as not magic, just natural traits and abilities X-Men-style. Loki is the friggin' God of Magic and he gets his butt handed to him by a half-trained human sorcerer? Whatever happened to Asgardians being the supreme beings? And yea, Fenris was mildly entertaining, but he was only there for an easter egg, not to eat Odin or raze Asgard alongside his brothers and sister.

Hela's weakness was entirely in that she didn't have any real power. She is a skilled fighter and certainly a capable warrior but when I think power and divinity I think of beings who can snap their fingers and mow down entire cities. Ones who don't need to fight directly because they're just that good. When Hela fights it is the exact kind of display we see in any normal combat scene, just amped up to higher stakes. 90% of what she did was strength-based and, in the long run, nothing truly unique to her--except maybe the Eternal Flame part but it isn't clear just how much of that was her to begin with.

I never said he wasn't comic-accurate, because he was for the most part. It's just that, from a narrative perspective, he was a weak addition. Introducing a character in the beginning solely to have him pull off some big feat at the end, with no actual role in the story other than that plot device, is just bad writing.

Ragnarok is more than the death of Asgard, it is the death of the gods. It is the end of all things. I was expecting a grand mythological feat and a significant death toll; the sort of thing that makes you feel it. The movie was just so light that the stakes never felt all that real to me. It was hard to reconcile the death of Asgard with Thor and Loki goofing off on a tech planet half a galaxy away.

Ah yes, condescension. How original. What I mean is that Marvel has been for several years now struggling to find a good foundation for their tone. Ragnarok is a prime example of it--a movie about an intense, emotional story turned light-hearted and fun. There's nothing wrong with fun it's just that they're making every movie fit that same theme. Even Civil War fell victim to it. I miss the days of Winter Soldier where the character development and the underlying theme were more important then growing a universe and adding wise-cracks. For all its many flaws I respect the Fox X-Men 'verse just because it is willing to make something brand new, not just build on what it has.

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By njchrispatrick

@asgardianbrony: Rather than let this continue on eternally I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. It just comes down to expectations vs reality and I expected more than what I got. If I had to describe it in one sentence it would just be that Marvel has been raising the bar so much with every movie that now, when they're finally leveling off a little, it feels more disappointing than it should. I like their movies, I really do, but the character focus feels like it is getting lost in the grand world-building. Which is disappointing because for so long Marvel has been the best at what they do. Fox's world is messed up but the fact that they don't have such a rigid continuity allows for some very interesting creations--I just wish it didn't take them so long to start realizing this.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers