How powerful would you like Thor?

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By coolcat4

A lot of people have different ideas of how powerful some characters should be. And im very curious what other people think Thor should be.

How powerful do you think standard Thor should be in the below categories:

Lifting Strength:

Unarmed Striking power:

Striking Power with Mjolnir:

Overall Destructive Power with full abilities:

Durability:

Speed:

Abilities he should have or should use more:

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

@coolcat4 said:

Lifting Strength: Planetary

Unarmed Striking power: Moon

Striking Power with Mjolnir: Planetary

Overall Destructive Power with full abilities: With Godblast, solar system+. Otherwise, planetary.

Durability: Planetary

Speed: MFTL for travel, as fast as lightning for combat.

Abilities he should have: Can't think of any.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By coolcat4

Ill start in my opinion i think/like Thor to be around here.

Lifting Strength: Large planetary in something like a barbell bench.

^not completely sure on this just earths weight or more.

Unarmed Striking power: One shot something earth sized or slightly larger.

Striking Power with Mjolnir: Large Planet but more then his lifting.

Overall Destructive Power with full abilities: Solar to solar system with his most powerful abilities.

Durability: Multi Planetary.

Speed: As fast as his lighting.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coolcat4

@takenstew22: I think this is a good range of power as well.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 takenstew22  Moderator
KingLycaon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KingLycaon
@coolcat4 said:

Lifting Strength: Moon Level

Unarmed Striking power: Continental (Multi Continental with Belt of Strength)

Striking Power with Mjolnir: Multi Continental (Belt of Strength doesn't affect the Hammer)

Overall Destructive Power with full abilities: Multi Continental level Lightning

Durability: Moon Level

Speed: 1/3 Speed of Light, Reaction/Combat Speed/Travel Speed (Lightining) Since it has to do with him.

Abilities he should have: Superhuman Strength, Speed, Durability, Healing Factor, Average Intelligence (which is in the Near Genius in Human characters, below guys like Batman and T'challa) Flight (only wiht his Hammer) and finally his Hammer.

KingLycaon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically a very High High Tier. not Herald or anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ee0713dd622
deactivated-60ee0713dd622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Unarmed Striking power: About even with Superman

Overall Destructive Power with full abilities: Multi-planetary

Speed: As fast as Lightning

Abilities he should have or should use more: A healing factor

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By asgardianweapon

@takenstew22 said:
@coolcat4 said:

Unarmed Striking power: Moon

Overall Destructive Power with full abilities: With Godblast, solar system+. Otherwise, planetary.

Speed: MFTL for travel, as fast as lightning for combat.

Abilities he should have: Can't think of any.

Yeah that is a pretty good range of powers but maybe buff i little striking

abilities he should have: same as he already have but with two distintions:

more defined, stop with that deus ex machina shit

more enphasis on his weather powers would make a world of difference in making the fights less repetitive and his show more tricks and combos like razor wind and etc

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By asgardianweapon

Under a "perfect" writer however i would like Thor with mjolnir be little buffed. He already is a high tier with the equivalent to a nuclear weapon for people on his own weight class (his weapon was used against skyfathers and such)

So my portrayal of him would be pretty much what happens to real people get by fucking warhammer which is not pretty. The "ideal"/"perfect" writer thing would enter as because of that the writter would have to come up to good reasons/other powers to increase tention (other weapons would also do Thor too). "Perfect" because i don´t trust much writers to be able to get this right and he would just be seen (correctly) as overpowered. That would have to change how all high tiers are portrayed conssistently so like superman clones should have more emphasiss in speed, etc etc making character seem distinctive in their powersets and levels

to this make any sense in universe (616) he would have to be amped tho (i think). People outside his weight class should be able to not be so hurt by mjolnir tho

And yea btw all that whole depending less on mjolnir, half elder god that Thor fans love to keep saying

as i doubt there is such a writer he is fine where he is

Avatar image for thornanthehater
ThornanTheHater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThornanTheHater

Unarmed Striking power: Planetary

Overall Destructive Power with full abilities: Planetary, but if needed (by plot) no real boundary.

Speed: Faster than Light for travel. Lightning speed in combat

Abilities he should have: Time travel, anti-matter beams, astral projection, other strange stuff he don't have in the Myth.

But, other than powers, i'd work on his persona. I want Simonson's Thor back again: wise, compassionate and humble. I like the idea of him as a heavy drinker, but don't overdo it.

I want this kind of feats, instead of the usual "smashing".

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9DxfJPT7R2U/Vnp_GCJShoI/AAAAAAAAZmI/nBpg30o-L_k/s0-Ic42/RCO012.jpg

Here, Thor makes a kid eats disgusting food just by his example. THIS is a hero.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it's more about how he's portrayed than what "power level" he's actually at. Siege had a lot of problems, but I think Thor feels really powerful in that story, but someone beating him gets taken out by a sub nuke level explosion. That feeling is more important to me than just him blowing up planets.

Avatar image for lazarus4tempest
lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Make unlock his Eldergod powers AGAIN permanently

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: I agree with that, I was more curious how the Thor community felt about his power level in addition. I think at this point we have made it clear on how we want him portrayed. I also would just like consistency from the writers.

Avatar image for namelessmonster
NamelessMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#16  Edited By NamelessMonster

As powerful as the Sagas says about him, I think that would be the most fair, for him and the rest of the Gods.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for namelessmonster
NamelessMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By NamelessMonster

@coolcat4: I've seen some respects threads some time ago, and with a lot of "universe threatening" (but I wouldn't count it), there's one where it says that he creates a star by throwing it's toe in the sky (Interpret as you want it) but I'm sure there's something more specific... I also wouldn't discredit some author interpretations to fit the stories, such (Lightning level combat speed or something related).

The possibilities are vast.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spambot

I like him being near the top of the herald tier but still having some mysterious elder/Thunder god type of powers he can access when he needs to. Full on OF Thor is prob a bit much for my taste. I prefer having Odin around as all Father with the OF. Though I enjoy seeing OKT as part of a far future timeline.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

To me it's more about how he's portrayed than what "power level" he's actually at. Siege had a lot of problems, but I think Thor feels really powerful in that story, but someone beating him gets taken out by a sub nuke level explosion. That feeling is more important to me than just him blowing up planets.

Yeah, power levels are secondary compared to how well a character is written. I really feel that it's been since Kieron Gillen that Thor has been written as what most long time fans would consider "in character" for the thunder god in his own book. I also wonder if Simonson's run had occurred in the present day, how many people would be nitpicking about power inconsistencies, or complaining that Thor's bones being made brittle by Hela and Loki turning him into a frog was disrespecting the character? Or, are those things readers, for the most part, would overlook because of how well Simonson had characterized Thor? I mean, I get the frustration over a character being able to split planets in half one moment, then getting dropped by street levelers the next. At least back in the day there was always the routine explanation that Thor was holding back from using his full power when dealing with mortal foes, but that rarely happens any more, current writers are either too lazy to provide expository context, or expect readers to already be aware of the situation.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical:

I really feel that it's been since Kieron Gillen that Thor has been written as what most long time fans would consider "in character" for the thunder god in his own book.

I would consider God of Thunder pretty "In character" from Standard Thor and since then while I haven't liked how he's been written it does make sense that he'd be in a different mental state.

And yeah I think people go to power inconsistencies when they don't like the writing for the most part, that's when they're actually distracting. The only writer I like whose power inconsistencies I find distracting are Cates because it devalues villains in his writing when I don't know how powerful they are in relation to our heroes. Can Knull wipe out everyone on Earth by himself? Can any decent high tier take him on? Is Thor vs Knull supposed to be close right now? I have no idea since Cates doesn't keep Knull at any remotely consistent power level.