How do you like Thor in Avengers : Endgame ?

• 62 results
Trololololol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Thor rapidly grew in popularity after Ragnarok and Infinity war . However , he has now gone through more changes through the events of Avengers 4 : Endgame .

How did you like Thor in the movie , and the direction the producers took him in .

ImMadNice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love a Thor who loves mead, but they slightly overdid it. If this was his final showing I would’ve been upset but we haven’t seen the last of him

BalancedTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Satisfying

Trololololol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immadnice: Well the gag with him being fat was funny and all , but I never expected him to be that way throughout the entire movie .

Anyways , I really liked Thor from IW , and wonder why they changed him .

Eobard21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trash

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By titing2101

I liked how they showed how he was affected by his guilt and failure to stop thanos after chopping his head.

That scene showed he's gonna break or broken at that very moment .

didn't like the fat thor and how he was made to be the comedic relief.

It'd be better if they showed him a drunkard. not fat, and giving his arc a serious tone.

ImMadNice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trololololol: he def lost the most, some people or gods lol react different than others. Hopefully we get the God Butcher in Thor 4

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was funny

Trololololol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: Couldn't agree more . I liked a light hearted Thor in Ragnarok , but this pushed it too far . He was basically comic relief . I think he was perfect in IW with a mixture of seriousness , a little humour and lots of heroics . In this one , he felt like he was mainly there for comedy.

Sad how his character regressed.

Trololololol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immadnice: Yeah , but it didn't feel right to have this Thor in the main time-line. It hurts a lot of the character development he went through the previous movies . He had an iron will , and would have done everything to do the right thing . However this part of Thor's character was flushed down the toilet for the sake of comedy .

Frankly , it's a disrespect to the character . Can you imagine Captain America like that ? Of course not . Then , why Thor ? The guy is no less of a hero than Rogers .

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By titing2101

@trololololol said:

@titing2101: Couldn't agree more . I liked a light hearted Thor in Ragnarok , but this pushed it too far . He was basically comic relief . I think he was perfect in IW with a mixture of seriousness , a little humour and lots of heroics . In this one , he felt like he was mainly there for comedy.

Sad how his character regressed.

True. They made his breakdown a comedy which people just waited on thor for laughs. Just rewatched endgame and I missed this on my first viewing.

Another scene was ruined for thor. The one where he nominated himself for the gauntlet. He was begging them to let him do it, to d something good, something great. That scene for me should be seen as a point of redemption. But no, people were laughing cause they sandwiched that scene with comedy,

Trololololol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: Yup . The major complaint people had with Ragnarok was that the comedic moments undermined some serious scenes . It seems that EG repeated the same mistake with Thor .

Thor should have done something significant in the movie to get over his guilt over failing to kill Thanos , but the movie didn't give him a redeemed moment . The Thanos kill was a hollow victory . It had no meaning , as killing him didn't really accomplish anything .

Apart from Hulk and especially Thor , EG really handled the characters very well . Tony , Steve and Nat had a satisfying arc with a heart touching ending .

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: MCU tends to couple heavy emotional scenes with some humour and I think it works. Thor’s scene where he wants to use the gauntlet is pretty sad, he was easily the best and most composured Avenger and he is now a broken man. Other Avengers are quite nice about it as well and careful not to be mean, since this Thor looked pretty fragile and unbalanced.

OT: Unexpectedly perfect. First time I saw the movie I was a bit disappointed he didn’t kick ass and was used for comedy. Hemsworth probably loved it tho. Second viewing, Thor’s state made much more sense. In IW he explains to Rocket how revenge was his motive and that’s how he kept it together. In Endgame he had literally no motive for 5 years, his people almost extinct and his revenge pretty meaningless.

I remember people complaining about how Thor kept losing everything and somehow still being badass, cracking jokes and being sexy af (ok no one complains about the last one). We now see his fall and it gives him more character imo. And hopefully it’s not the last we see of him so his arc is still going, I for one am very intrigued what he does next (hopefully not nerfed for the sake of Guardians tho).

Side note: His scenes were very funny, he made the film many times better imo. Even if people are mad about the direction they went with him, this needs to be recognized.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabumalal:

That was a really sad moment, For me the humor on that scene was a bit much tho.

The same as you I tried analyzing Thor without the jokes and his instability was well made.

Don't get me wrong I myself laughed also. He was pretty funny and speaking of badass, his transformation scene was so good, storm cloud then lightning strikes him and healed/cleaned his face.

I'm also hoping this is not that last time we see him. Nat, Steve and Tony's exit are so good, hope they do it with thor and they should bring back sexy thor. lol

Apart from Hulk and especially Thor , EG really handled the characters very well . Tony , Steve and Nat had a satisfying arc with a heart touching ending .

Agreed, and setting aside the humor, Thor's arc is good as well the second time i've watched it. I saw how broken and desperate he was.

Trololololol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titing2101: Yeah , Thor's instability made sense , but his overall role in the movie was weak . We see him as a broken , and throughout the movie although he gets better and better , he fails to accomplish anything great .

This movie was all about Tony and Cap . Thor didn't matter much . Even if we removed him altogether , I don't think the movie would have missed him much . After Infinity war , I was expecting him to have a bigger role , but instead he is just a side character to Tony/cap like in the first 2 avengers movies .

Yeah , have to admit that his transformation was pretty well though. Him also using both the hammer and the axe was very satisfying to see . However , I believe he should have done better against a Thanos who wasn't even using any stone in their fight. Hell , cap fought him better , and that was his first time wielding Mjolnir .

And yes , I do hope we see more of him . A lot of interesting stories could be told with Thor , and I hope they do him justice . I'm glad he went with the GotG . He seems to have a really good chemistry with those guys . However , I fear that he would be nerfed when with the guardians .

Rebuilding Asgard and bringing it to its former glory could also be a plot for Thor 4. Maybe odinforce could be introduced as well .

KingLouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decent.

I want him to be serious again.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The scene with his mom was prolly the most memorable in the movie.

thor321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say, I didn't like him much tbh.

like, I appreciate the fact that he sees himself guilty and all but him being fat and comedic relief was too much.

I also don't like that he named Valkyrie to be the new Queen of Asgard.

IMO him using the Gauntlet would have been a great sacrifice for him and a nice end to his character.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#19  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

While I would've really have liked to see him snap out of his funk earlier on in the movie, i think they handled it decently. Him talking to his mother was a nice scene and I genuinely felt for him and his depression.

I also understood why Valkyrie was his choice to be the new ruler of New Asgard.

Essem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His incarnation in Endgame was not funny, which was his purpose. To be a funny fat guy. Didnt like it at all. Guess they cant have anyone shine as much as their precious Captain America.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was very funny, but I prefer a badass Thor

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should've made him an alcoholic instead of chubby, some emotional scene I can't take seriously with far Thor lol.

Although I guess alcoholic Thor might be too dark for Disney.

odinblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty disrespectful to the character tbh. Hulk didn’t have a great showing either, but at least he wasn’t a fat alcoholic. This was all about Tony and Steve - which is fine, but you don’t need to nerf a classic character into alcoholism

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The thing is, the idea of Thor suffering PTSD, him being fat, isolated, not recognizable as himself is a pretty damn good idea, even if that's not how 616 Thor would react, this is another version and I would be totally fine, because the idea itself is amazing, it allows for tons of character development and a journey for our hero, makes us sympathise with the character and understand just how much he suffers and how serious and world-changing is what Thanos did.

But the execution, man the execution was pretty bad, I wouldn't say they ruined Thor, he was very funny and I'm sure general audience won't mind and will find him cool, but that doesn't mean the execution of this idea was good, quite the contrary, what could have been an amazing character arc of self discovery, resilience and strength, turned into a comedic relief and fat jokes. I understand what the Russos were trying to do, at least I think they were trying to show the audience just how much he lost, but they went about it the wrong way, his loss and pain was turned into a joke, instead of making the audience sympathise and root for him, they made us laugh at his misery and in doing so, negated his character growth or at least hindered the impact of it in the eyes of the audience.

Just imagine if they had taken this same idea, a drunk, isolated, broken (hell, even fatty) Thor, and showed us the broken man (god) he is, no jokes, just show us how much he has lost and take him through the very same journey he went in the movie, because it was not bad at all, the journey and arc was fine IMO, and his scene with Frigga was absolutely great, well acted and heart warming, but the impact simply wasn't there because what we witnessed wasn't a broken Thor, we witnessed an ongoing joke about his weight.

Trololololol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: agree 100% . They handled Thor and his character much better in IW . After losing everything , we saw his breakdown with Rocket . But here , instead of being a joke , it was was heart touching and you could actually feel bad for Thor .

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is, the idea of Thor suffering PTSD, him being fat, isolated, not recognizable as himself is a pretty damn good idea, even if that's not how 616 Thor would react, this is another version and I would be totally fine, because the idea itself is amazing, it allows for tons of character development and a journey for our hero, makes us sympathise with the character and understand just how much he suffers and how serious and world-changing is what Thanos did.

But the execution, man the execution was pretty bad, I wouldn't say they ruined Thor, he was very funny and I'm sure general audience won't mind and will find him cool, but that doesn't mean the execution of this idea was good, quite the contrary, what could have been an amazing character arc of self discovery, resilience and strength, turned into a comedic relief and fat jokes. I understand what the Russos were trying to do, at least I think they were trying to show the audience just how much he lost, but they went about it the wrong way, his loss and pain was turned into a joke, instead of making the audience sympathise and root for him, they made us laugh at his misery and in doing so, negated his character growth or at least hindered the impact of it in the eyes of the audience.

Just imagine if they had taken this same idea, a drunk, isolated, broken (hell, even fatty) Thor, and showed us the broken man (god) he is, no jokes, just show us how much he has lost and take him through the very same journey he went in the movie, because it was not bad at all, the journey and arc was fine IMO, and his scene with Frigga was absolutely great, well acted and heart warming, but the impact simply wasn't there because what we witnessed wasn't a broken Thor, we witnessed an ongoing joke about his weight.

True, he had it worst than anyone in the cast ever since ragnarok, it just keeps piling up till the pre-Timeskip where he broke. That line "I've gone for the head", thor was broken at that very moment. could have been a great arc for him really, it was, only better if they toned down the jokes a little bit. The general audience would just take that as a typical marvel humor and won't see what was the intended message.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can understand the idea of Thor being broken and becoming a fat drunk guy after all he's been through. But I really think he should have had a redeeming moment in the film. The main thing I'm concerned about is the future. I don't want Thor to just be some guy running around with the Guardians of the Galaxy or something like that. I want him to be the King of Asgard and I'm very concerned that they don't seem to be doing that.

defiant_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can understand the idea of Thor being broken and becoming a fat drunk guy after all he's been through. But I really think he should have had a redeeming moment in the film. The main thing I'm concerned about is the future. I don't want Thor to just be some guy running around with the Guardians of the Galaxy or something like that. I want him to be the King of Asgard and I'm very concerned that they don't seem to be doing that.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

You know what would be cool IMO ? Have him hang out with the Guardians in their next movie, show that he has moved on, he is still depressed but no longer a joke or self pitying himself, he tries to find new purpose with them, kicks some ass in the process, and by the end of the movie he realizes he needs to be there for his people, and comes back to New Asgard.

Enter Thor 4, where we see his journey back into the mighty god he was in Ragnarok and IW.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82:

That could be cool. Thee main concern for me is that Thor is one of the most important characters in the MCU. If he's going off with the GOTG he should be a huge character in their film. The problem with that is the next GOTG film is supposed to be the end of the current roster IIRC and it would be kinda not cool to bring in another character like Thor and give him the spotlight. So they would really have to strike a perfect balance.

That's why I think its better for Thor to be in his own film series.

Moving on to another topic.

After all of the emotional stress of watching the movie I really forgot a lot that happened. But me and my family randomly realized on the way home that Loki might be alive. When Ant Man and Tony messed up the timeline after the battle of New York Loki used the Tesseract to travel somewhere else changing the events that happened in the MCU. Its kinda confusing because it doesn't make sense but considering Gamora was also alive Loki may very well be alive.

Personally I don't think they should have brought Loki back because his death in IW was used narratively for the Thor character and is part of what made him so great in the film. But on the other hand I can't help be interested in what they may do with Loki in the future and if he might somehow help Thor redeem himself. We'll have to see.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

@thor_parker82:

That could be cool. Thee main concern for me is that Thor is one of the most important characters in the MCU. If he's going off with the GOTG he should be a huge character in their film. The problem with that is the next GOTG film is supposed to be the end of the current roster IIRC and it would be kinda not cool to bring in another character like Thor and give him the spotlight. So they would really have to strike a perfect balance.

That's why I think its better for Thor to be in his own film series.

Moving on to another topic.

After all of the emotional stress of watching the movie I really forgot a lot that happened. But me and my family randomly realized on the way home that Loki might be alive. When Ant Man and Tony messed up the timeline after the battle of New York Loki used the Tesseract to travel somewhere else changing the events that happened in the MCU. Its kinda confusing because it doesn't make sense but considering Gamora was also alive Loki may very well be alive.

Personally I don't think they should have brought Loki back because his death in IW was used narratively for the Thor character and is part of what made him so great in the film. But on the other hand I can't help be interested in what they may do with Loki in the future and if he might somehow help Thor redeem himself. We'll have to see.

Thor will definitely not be the main character on GOTG, but I do believe he will be pivotal, plus we'll have tons of exchanges with Quill which should be funny as hell.

Loki is not alive, not in this timeline, remember that it was explained how changing the past only created alternate futures but never affects your own future or the timeline you already live in, so for the future of the MCU, Loki is still dead, an alternate Loki is the one who is alive on a completely different timeline, and that's where the Loki series on Disney streaming will pick up I'm sure.

So fear not, Loki won't be brought back and that part of Thor's character growth will remain untouched.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Amcu

@thor_parker82: Okay, that makes sense. Was a little confused about some of the time travel stuff especially Gamora. Definitely need to see it again.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@thor_parker82: See that's what they said but it then doesn't make sense how Cap can be old in that timeline at the end and still have a non-broken shield when he went back in time shouldn't that have been in a different timeline.

It's all very confusing

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

@thor_parker82: Okay, that makes sense. Was a little confused about some of the time travel stuff especially Gamora. Definitely need to see it again.

Gamora is still dead, as she was not seen in the final scene with all the Guardians together.

@thor_parker82: See that's what they said but it then doesn't make sense how Cap can be old in that timeline at the end and still have a non-broken shield when he went back in time shouldn't that have been in a different timeline.

It's all very confusing

Yeah, I believe that was a big mistake in the movie, it didn't make sense, but it was there to give Steve a closure, and the closure was so good that I can forgive that mistake. I was just discussing that on a PM, I'll copy/paste what I said.

The Russos were like "nah, fck it, fck the rules we just told everyone, bring back old Steve, that'll be a nice closure" and I'll tell you what, it was indeed an amazing, heart warming, breath taking closure, I was so happy for Steve man, he deserved that life with Peggy. There was a very simple way they could have solved this though, just have old man Steve come back through the same quantum thingy he left on.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Thorthunder98

@thor_parker82: It's still confusing because the Ancient One and Bruce's conversation suggested that by returning the stones it shouldn't create alternate realities so I'm really not sure lol

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: It's still confusing because the Ancient One and Bruce's conversation suggested that by returning the stones it shouldn't create alternate realities so I'm really not sure lol

It didn't for the rest of the universe, but it did for Steve because he decided to stay there.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: @thorthunder98: I took it as the reason it didn’t change for Steve was because he didn’t come back, in any other moment in the film when they time travel they go and come back. But when Steve goes back and hops through time to put all the stones back in all those alternate realities he never comes back to the present like in all the other instances, he goes back to the past one last time, and just lives his life with Peggy, not touching a single stone which also may be the reason why the reality wasn’t changed as no stone was taken away when he went back to 1945.

Ik it’s a reach but that’s my headcanon

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: @thorthunder98: I took it as the reason it didn’t change for Steve was because he didn’t come back, in any other moment in the film when they time travel they go and come back. But when Steve goes back and hops through time to put all the stones back in all those alternate realities he never comes back to the present like in all the other instances, he goes back to the past one last time, and just lives his life with Peggy, not touching a single stone which also may be the reason why the reality wasn’t changed as no stone was taken away when he went back to 1945.

Ik it’s a reach but that’s my headcanon

That makes less sense bro :P, because then there would be no current Captain America to do all the fighting, there would be no Cap on the first Avengers, no Cap on Winter Soldier, no Cap on Civil War, no Cap lifting Mjolnir etc...

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: well yeah there would be, him going back in time doesn’t alter him falling into the ice. He just goes to find Peggy post WW2 and lives the rest of his life with her, the past version of himself still goes into the ice, does everything he does when he gets out and then goes to bring all the stones back and then goes to live his life with Peggy, it closes his loop.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Hmm, I guess that makes more sense, I could see that.

what about the soul stone guys? does cap stop nat and clint ?

Nope, the movie was clear about that, she is dead, there is no changing what already happened.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: except that Gamora came back
so theoretically they could just do how they did her IJS

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: except that Gamora came back

so theoretically they could just do how they did her IJS

She didn't come back, that was Gamora from the past.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was not a fan of the whole fat thing, another bad play was Steve used the hammer better then he did. I would have gone with the angry overboard protector route because he did lose himself before getting the 9 realms back inline. I am sure they could use him again or did they forget they keep not just the earth safe they are in charge of the safety of 8 other realms. So maybe that is why Odin returns because Thor dropped the ball badly.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MorbusGrav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They jumped the shark a bit too much with him.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Absolute shit.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You essentially pointed out everything that is wrong with Thor's characterization after Ragnarok. He was turned into a dumb frat-boy who joked around to hide his trauma and nothing that ever happened to him ever resonated on an emotional level (save maybe for Infinity War) because it was used as comedic relief. I think it's a much bigger task to fix Thor than people realize, also because the general audience probably loves goofball Thor and doesn't care about power levels and the rest of Asgard.