Why You Should Read THE VALIANT

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Ever since making a return, Valiant has clearly had a focus on quality over quantity. It may not be offering nearly as many titles as its competitors, but the ones the publisher is releasing are well worth the $3.99 cover price. We here at Comic Vine all have our favorite Valiant titles, but now the publisher has a brand new limited series that's incorporating many of its characters. Luckily for us, it's awesome! The second chapter came out last week and we believe it's our duty to make sure this title is on your radar.

No Caption Provided

We commonly hear people say they're interested in giving Valiant a shot but they don't know where to begin. Well, THE VALIANT is your answer. It may not give every big character the spotlight just yet, but it's an action-adventure that's giving you a taste of all this world has to offer. You get a look at the universe's badasses (Ninjak, Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot), it embraces the evergrowing mythos (Eternal Warrior's tale, Geomancer) and elements from other parts of the publisher's world are beginning to trickle in. Some books may focus on one genre, but this includes horror, fantasy, fun shootouts, and it looks like some sci-fi is right around the corner.

This is a series that makes sure no reader is left behind. You can have literally zero experience with Valiant before reading the first issue and you won't feel left in the dark. It takes all of the necessary steps to make sure you're in the loop and know what you need to know. From a thoroughly detailed intro page to mostly well utilized exposition, this is a book that's doing a mighty fine job appealing to new and preexisting fans. Beginning with the first issue or the first story of an arc is always the ideal jumping on spot, but Valiant's intro pages make sure you can technically hop on wherever you want to. You won't fully appreciate everything, but the option exists. There really is no good reason to miss out on the first issue, though. It does an exceptional job putting everyone in place and, even if you don't know these characters, you can't help but feel how powerful and emotional the story is.

No Caption Provided

Watching the heroes in action and learning more about them is absorbing and we can't get enough of it, but if you're going to bring these characters together, you need an antagonist that's worthy of their attention. It's critical to have someone who cannot be defeated by any individual and the heroes must team-up if they want to stand a chance. Thankfully, the Immortal Enemy is a more than worthy opponent.

He's been around for ages and Eternal Warrior has been unable to stop him each and every time they've encountered. Not only is he physically formidable, but he's also legitimately frightening and a key part of this universe's history. He can take any form, make you face your worst fears, and, creepiest of all, his face peels open to reveal a horrifying skeletal, sharp-toothed face. Basically, he's a walking nightmare.

No Caption Provided

The fact this limited series is written by Jeff Lemire and Matt Kindt should be more than enough to give you some faith in this story and pique your curiosity. Sure, the basic premise --- the Immortal Enemy kills every new Geomancer and that brings about an era of darkness -- may sound a little generic or heavy in fantasy elements, but the co-writers make sure this is something everyone can appreciate. They have no problem dishing out plenty of action and cool spectacle -- we'll talk about how good the art is in a bit -- but this isn't a series that thrives simply because it has entertaining action sequences and excitement. Instead, it works because of the characters.

These aren't one-dimensional beings; there's more to each of them and the co-writers really drive that point home. You'll want to see them battle the Immortal Enemy, but you'll also want to see them conversing just so you can see what the different dynamics are like and you'll hope to learn more about each of them. These are characters you'll want to root for and get emotionally connected to. Will all of them make it out of this twisted story? What impact will it have on them? Will it form any new alliances? Even if you're new to Valiant, odds are it'll make these characters grow on you and you'll be left wanting more. Thankfully, there's other great titles that have more of these characters and you can enjoy those between each new issue of THE VALIANT, but we're not here to talk about those.

No Caption Provided

With so many excellent titles out there, it's understandable why some people don't want to add yet another $3.99 comic to their pull list. It's an expensive hobby and it most definitely adds up. But how many of the $3.99+ comics that you're following feel like they're truly worth every penny? How many are you keeping on your pull list just because you're curious about how things will turn out or you hope it'll get better? THE VALIANT isn't one of those comics and you can tell the creative team is doing everything they can to make sure your money is well spent.

Lemire and Kindt's script is epic in scope yet still character-driven, and Paolo and Joe Rivera's visuals are going to keep you staring at the pages. Whether it's expressions that tell you everything you need to know about how the character is feeling or a gripping display of action, the visuals do a brilliant job making this story feel every bit as cinematic as it should. Each location is properly fleshed out, too. The "go big or go home" approach applies to these pages. They can sell a calm discussion with Geomancer and vicious and scary encounter with the Immortal Enemy equally well. The script and the visuals never falter and there most definitely isn't any noticeable filler in here.

No Caption Provided

High stakes, horror, action, character, and even a little bit of humor. THE VALIANT has it all and it's the perfect way to give this publisher a chance. If you've been slacking off and haven't picked up a Valiant title yet, this is what you need to check out. It'll serve as your introduction to this publisher's world and we're pretty confident it'll win you over. If you've been following the other titles, then you're well aware of the fact you need to be reading this. THE VALIANT may not be a big event, but it sure feels like an awesome one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I've told at least three people that this is the perfect Valiant starting point.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes you should be reading this!!!

Currently reading more Valiant titles then DC, out of last year's summer events, Armor Hunters in terms of quality was one of the best.

They destroyed and killed everyone in Mexico City!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Valiant has been great so far. The first Valiant title on my pull list. I'd dipped my toes in the water several times with Valiant. A single issue here, a trade there. But the Humble Bundle really opened me up to the universe and got me hooked.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll get started with this after I catch up with X-O Manowar and Bloodshot (2012).

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WilliamYates8

As a new Valaint reader with this series, this article is spot on. Has been really enjoyable so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@earthsmightiest: Armor Hunters was the first event story from any publisher I read all the way through in three years.

And I'm reading more Valiant than DC too (but that's because I don't have any DC books on my pull list).

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Fine! Uncle! Stop twisting my arm already, I'll read it!

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been pulling every Valiant title since they relaunched. They are the best publisher in my opinion. Their writers don't get bogged down with politics or "shock value". Their editors actually do their job and keep continuity and the "universe" stream lined. All of the story arcs, for any given title, have a clear beginning, middle, and end; which is accompanied with character development and steady pacing.

As for this title specifically, I have bought three #1 issues for random people at my local shop because I think it is that good.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@xwraith said:

I've told at least three people that this is the perfect Valiant starting point.

@dman1366 said:

I have been pulling every Valiant title since they relaunched. They are the best publisher in my opinion. Their writers don't get bogged down with politics or "shock value". Their editors actually do their job and keep continuity and the "universe" stream lined. All of the story arcs, for any given title, have a clear beginning, middle, and end; which is accompanied with character development and steady pacing.

As for this title specifically, I have bought three #1 issues for random people at my local shop because I think it is that good.

A winner is you!

Fine, uncle, stop twisting my arm already, I'll read it

Let me know what you think when you get around to it, nephew.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

A lot of people read a comic because they like the character not because they actually like the stories being told in the book, seriously stop doing that and read Valiant instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@k4tzm4n: I realized how that sounded and edited my comment and you still caught it, dag nab it.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I've been following Rai and it's really good. I really need to get on Bloodshot, everything about him sounds awesome.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By DrellAssassin

Alright guys, you have me interested in this whole Valiant thing. Besides this, where would be best to start? What are the essential titles?

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article @k4tzm4n! This is definitely a series people should read. It's also the first time I've ever double-dipped on a comic (bought a print copy and a digital copy).

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: Um, I guess The Valiant hahaha. If you have the coin, then I would start from the beginning. Check this out. All of the titles printed by Valiant in their release order.

http://valiantcentral.com/valiant-issue-checklist/

@k4tzm4n should check that out too. I know he would love it.

jwrose5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jwrose5

After seeing their solicits for the next few months, I'm sold. This is an excellent series! Ninjak is next on my list. Maybe Ivar, Timewalker too. Might check out Divinity.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Cap10nate

@drellassassin said:

Alright guys, you have me interested in this whole Valiant thing. Besides this, where would be best to start? What are the essential titles?

X-O Manowar and Harbinger were the flagship titles for the first 2 years of the relaunch. They were the ones that the major happenings of the Valiant Universe revolved around. Harbinger ended earlier this year with issue 25, but has spawned several mini series and the new Imperium story that will start which follows the main antaganist of the Valiant Universe, Toyo Harada. X-O Manowar has been a great story and continues to be fantastic as issue 32 just hit the shelves. Bloodshot also plays a significant role in the Valiant U and his series was pretty good as well.

Unity has been solid since it started. It is their super team and is currently 14 issues in.

A couple of the ancillary titles are Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody. These two are more comedy oriented, and I lost interest in them earlier this year. I know a lot of people love these two books but I had a hard time enjoying the writers' humor. Shadowman is another title that I read, but never fell in love with. It was more a dark, mystical book that never quite picked up steam. Then they changed direction and the quality dropped immensely so I wouldn't recommend it.

Rai is a great read with beautiful art by Clayton Crain. It takes place a thousand years into the future so it doesn't have any impact on what is going on in the modern Valiant U yet, but it has been entertaining.

So, if you want to start reading the books monthly going forward, I would recommend X-O Manowar, Unity, and The United if you want to know what is going on in the Valiant U. If you want to go back and pick up some trades, I would definitely recommend both X-O and Harbinger from the beginning. Harbinger also includes the crossover event of 2013 with Bloodshot called Harbinger Wars which was fantastic. X-O is a pretty self contained story until about issue 18 when it starts a crossover with the launch of Unity. I would add Unity to your reading list which is a part of the Armor Hunters event with X-O Manowar. Pick up Rai if you want to see a futuristic samurai go to work with gorgeous art.

There are also a couple books yet to be released like Ninjak, a ninja character that is featured in Unity, the United, and X-O Manowar. Imperium is being released that follows Toyo Harada in part of his plans for dominating the world. I'm excited for both of those books.

harashkupo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article k4tzm4n. It's always great to see this company get some much deserved love. You're enthusiasm for comics is just fun times all around.

Avatar image for thespectreforce
TheSpectreForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest: I bought the Armor Hunters TPB and one of the pages (p.9 I think) was completely pixelated/blurry. Did you have that problem?

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespectre: I don't think so, I picked up the individual books (had to have the chrome covers, god bless the 90s).

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#23  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

MEh. Wanted to like it, but gave up after the second issue.

~MiB

TheSpectreForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest: Man, those covers were $15 each at my LCS. And I'm not a variant collector so that was too much for me.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

As a Valiant fan, this is all I could ever ask for, well maybe besides Alex Ross painting a six issue run of pretty much any Valiant character.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a great book. I recommend it everyone.

Get off the DC or Marvel horse for once.

TheSpectreForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slade_wilson: If he did Shadowman or Rai I would cry and pee. But I think if he did any of them it would be X-O Manowar or Harbinger

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I've been following Rai and it's really good. I really need to get on Bloodshot, everything about him sounds awesome.

You could prob just jump on the Lemire run when it starts.

@drellassassin@cap10nate I would really hesitate to call Archer & Armstrong an ancillary title. It was one of the foundations of the universe and has done the most world building.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier said:

You could prob just jump on the Lemire run when it starts.

@drellassassin@cap10nate I would really hesitate to call Archer & Armstrong an ancillary title. It was one of the foundations of the universe and has done the most world building.

I agree. A&A started their versions of Ivar, Gilad, and the Geomancer.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@thespectre: Yeah my bet's on X-O

If he did Bloodshot or Eternal Warrior, I would combust.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be picking this up in trade. They have so many mini series these days that trade is just easier for me. I'm excited though!

TheSpectreForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: There's also a connection between Rai and Bloodshot. They will probably touch on that in this or in Ivar, Timewalker.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ah, what the hell, I'll check it out! I haven't been disappointed with any of Valiants other titles so I might as well give this a shot.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@granitesoldier: There's also a connection between Rai and Bloodshot. They will probably touch on that in this or in Ivar, Timewalker.

Holy-! So that's why they're looking so familiar!

TheSpectreForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scavengerfist: Cha, I hope they ellaborate on the connection more than they did in the originals

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im new to Valiant too, Read all Eternal Warrior's, and started Ivar, Timewalker.
I realy want to start Archer & Armstrong.

Mr_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mr_Warrior

So far, I haven't been disappointed with Valiant. I'll be picking this up when it comes out in trade.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I've been loving all the Valiant stuff I've been reading (XO manowar, quantum & woody, The Valiant). Looking forward to reading some Eternal Warrior issues I just got. Hopefully it'll explain a bit more about WHY the Geomancer matters so dang much.

ComicBloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great read... i hope more readers try reading Valiant's comics... they're all awesome!

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespectre: Cool, I really like Rai for its art and noir-like plot. To have connection with Bloodshot - one of the bad@ss characters in Valiant - seems to be just right.