gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

What could be better than a horror-type show on television? One that's done really well, obviously. The Strain is a new show airing on FX from Guillermo del Toro and Carlton Cuse, based on the novel trilogy by del Toro and Chuck Hogan. There has also been a comic adaptation from Dark Horse Comics. I haven't read the novels but have read the comic.

The episode opens a little differently than the comic. If you saw the trailer or commercial for the show, you’ve probably seen it involves a plane with a bit of a mystery—everyone on board is found dead after the plane lands.

The episode shows the plane before it lands and gives you more set up for what’s about to occur. In the comic, it jumps right to the plane already at JFK International Airport and the CDC being called to the scene. The downside to this is it’s almost as if they slightly show their cards too soon. We get a tiny glimpse to what we can expect in the series. What happens is everyone on the plane appears to be dead. In this episode, we see more of the actual investigation of the plane before the bodies are moved.

It’s always interesting to see the little differences between different adaptations. There are some parts very similar, but the show actually fleshes out some of the characters a little better. I have to admit I am curious to see how the show and comic compare to the novels.

The show delivers on building up the mystery and overall premise. There are some scenes where the tension really builds. The special FX are pretty good and there are some freaky scenes. Of course those little worm things are really gross. We've seen many attempts at creepy shows but The Strain looks like they may deliver what we would want. At the heart of it, this is a show that deals with vampires. This first episode doesn't fall back on the tired vampire tropes we've seen too many times. Along with the title, it feels more like an outbreak story. There is a sense of mystery as the investigators try to figure out what's going on.

In other words, there is some meat to the show. This first episode does have to set up the series. We have to get introduced to the characters. There's a pretty good balance of delivering this information while keeping the show moving at a nice pace. The other thing to note is, the actors do a pretty great job in their roles. You can feel where they're coming from and no one overplays their roles. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the show plays out once we fully get into the thick of things.

The series is off to a promising start. More and more we're getting hungry for quality television and The Strain may satisfy our desire with the current seasonal void of new television programming. Don't miss out on the premiere. Set your DVRs or viewing parties. This episode airs Sunday, July 13, at 10:00 p.m. on FX.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I loved the novels :3

When I see the Show I'll post a comparison

@g_man

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Is the comic good?

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

Does this come out in the uk today aswell or is the release date different?

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Cant wait to check out the show but god dam that promo image creeps me out lol

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drowsap said:

Cant wait to check out the show but god dam that promo image creeps me out lol

I know right, but I cant stop looking at it.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy: I can't speak for the UK showings. I have no idea if you have FX there or when another distributor will run it. Someone told me on Twitter it wasn't available in the UK yet.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

@cloudguy: I can't speak for the UK showings. I have no idea if you have FX there or when another distributor will run it. Someone told me on Twitter it wasn't available in the UK yet.

I don't think we have FX here in the UK, but i'll do a bit of searching to when when it comes out over here. Thanks anyway.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy: I'm sure it'll get picked up and aired somewhere. Isn't that usually how it works with US shows?

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

@cloudguy: I'm sure it'll get picked up and aired somewhere. Isn't that usually how it works with US shows?

It depends on how well it does over in the US or how big the demand is. Also I just searched around and The Strain will be released over here sometime in Autumn.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not really my thing...

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Can't for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@g_man: it can vary. We were only one episode behind with Arrow and 2 or 3 with Agents of Shield.

But with Person of Interest I think we're a whole season behind. :(

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Never heard about this. @dragonborn_ct: This rev. says it has vampires in it, do you know anything about it?

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Never heard about this. @dragonborn_ct: This rev. says it has vampires in it, do you know anything about it?

I've actually being looking forward for that too... I didn't knew when it was going to be released but I am surprised it had. Not too fond of the promotional imaginery featuring worms popping out of people's eyes -_-

In any case, its plot is something I've always wanted to see. A vampire apocalypse, much like the same way as a zombie apocaypse :D

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Shweet! Now I can't wait! A vampire apocalypse sounds epic!

arkay74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

That's how it works on Germany. We do have a Fox Pay TV channel which runs most of the newer stuff regardless of the original network.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Will check out

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched the episode. It was good, but felt very rushed. I think too much stuff happened in the first episode. Stuff that happened in several issues of the comics and several chapters of the book shouldn't be covered so quickly in a single 1 hr 40 mins episode.

Also, they changed some stuff around. I expected things to be changed since nothing can be perfectly translated from one medium to another, but there choices of what changed seemed odd and unnecessary.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's okay. I've read the original books so maybe I'm spoiled on the show. The addition and subtraction of characters and subplots. Though I don't understand all the reviews claiming its just gore? The acting is good though not great (Ephs character feels a bit off to me though The Older men characters are spot on). Though what saddens me the most is the fact they dropped the name is of the CDC group Eph's part of Canary Squad and the explanation for it were total foreshadowing of the trilogy.

While the part of Ephs boss is played by a younger man, the novel hes a very old man who is normally described as "Col. Sanders"

The beginning o the show shows somewhat off how it all began, while the novel is just a black box recording and investigation. I prefer the novels way, while its cool in the show it takes away some of the mystery and imagination of what occurred.

Gus's character is pretty spot on, a street tough doing his best for his MaMa, while they show his brother to be lazy they take out the inner monologues of how much Gus hates his brother and why. This will make they're future meetings less emotional and charge unless changed soon.

All in all the series will defiantly not be for everyone, those who enjoy the likes of Hannibal and Walking Dead will feel right at home. While other audiences will be put off by the somewhat dragging and colder acting. Yet this show will bring new possibilities as the cope of the books is huge reaching more than Boston, as it channels the whole world and into the Burroughs of time itself. Do I have hope that this show will work? Yes. Do I think it will all work out and finish the trilogy? On its current path thats a negatory, but hey its just the pilot. Hopefully in the future with the inclusion of Vas and Mr. Quinlin will breath some life here. (Heh get it cause there dead)

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to miss the show for work.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Surza7

I really loved the first episode.I felt like it had pretty good pacing,alot of mystery and some creepy stuff going on ,with some great images.Can not wait for the next episode and see where it takes us.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: I wouldn't be surprised if they re-aired it during the week or next Sunday before the second episode.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Just finished it. I'm SOLD!!!!!!!!! This series was made for me!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished the first episode and I really liked it. Corey Stoll, Sean Astin and David Bradley make for a very strong cast. Guest appearance from Francis Capra too for all you Veronica Mars fans. I'll definitely be checking out the next episode.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This was a good start of a series.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show seems promising.

Finally a new fresh take on the vampires.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Probably watch this later today

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched it last night, and I must say this show is creepy as hell. Really looking foward to the next EP

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kgb725

I loved it. Will it be better than AHS ?

orangedrink888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the first episode. Some of the imagery is damn right creepy but fantastic. The whole smashing of that guys skull was totally unnecessary but looks so coooooooooooooooooooooool.

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought it was pretty good. Definitely room for improvement but it was only the first episode.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_stegman  Moderator

Seriously..make Y:The Last Man into a show already...

porkbun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By porkbun  Moderator

Ugh, nightmare tonight.

betogonza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously..make Y:The Last Man into a show already...

Right!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: They re-aired it tonight and I'm hook on this show!

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rogueshadow  Moderator

It was cool, Setrakian is the best part of it in my opinion. But Van Helsing is one of my favourite characters in fiction. I agree with the 4/10. I'm definitely going to read the novels soon.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 the_stegman  Moderator

The dialogue in the episode was horrible.

"Planes are huge, like buildings with wings."

Lol, wot??

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The strain, is just awesome! allthough, if you don't like stuff like Walking Dead, or apocalyptic scenarios, this may not be for you.