Why is Professor Zoom Terrorizing the Allen Family in THE FLASH #42?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Family is a pretty big theme "running" throughout THE FLASH, since the New 52 version of the series kicked off. Aside from the Allen family, the West family has been a large part of this volume as well, with Iris West's younger brother, Danny, becoming Reverse Flash, a thorn in Barry Allen's side for quite some time.

Now, with Reverse Flash "enjoying" his new life on the Suicide Squad, there's no more speedsters for the Flash to fight, right? Wrong. Back in issue #40, right before CONVERGENCE, Professor Zoom popped up and now, he's terrorizing the Allen family and making their lives a living hell. What is his connection to the family and what is he exactly doing? Let's take a look at some of the moments from THE FLASH #42 and see what could be going on in this story.

Warning: There are some spoiler moments from this week's issue. You have been warned.

No Caption Provided

As seen in issue #41, Henry Allen, along with some other villains, like Girder, and now they're on the run and grabbing supplies from the Central City distribution center for Medi-Barn Supplies, Inc, but someone is following Henry and crew and Henry doesn't notice him at first.

Obviously, it's Zoom, but what does Zoom want with Henry Allen?

No Caption Provided

As the moment moves forward, it seems Professor Zoom doesn't want Henry Allen to be a "free man," even though Henry is wanted for escaping prison and all, so Zoom does what every concerned citizen or monster messing with a whole family's life would do, he pulls the fire alarm.

With the fire alarm comes a guard and the group is put in a sticky situation.

No Caption Provided

In the moment where the guard has his gun drawn on Henry, Zoom speeds in and puts Henry's gun in his hand and makes Henry pull the trigger. The guard goes down and is dead.

That is a moment that's going to change everything. Henry Allen is a killer, as far as everyone else knows. Why is Zoom doing this? It's one thing to make your enemies look bad, but forcing them to commit murder? Zoom is doing everything he can to soil Allen's name.

No Caption Provided

It does seem like that moment with Allen earned him some "street cred" with Girder and the gang, but Zoom isn't done yet. Later on, Zoom confronts Barry again and while Barry has only bumped into Zoom a couple of times, Zoom seems very familiar with who Barry is.

After their confrontation, Zoom leads Barry to the house where his mother was killed.

What Could be Going on?

There's a lot of animosity that Zoom has for Barry, which is apparent in the dialogue through the issue, but there's almost this uneasy feeling that while Zoom spends every moment in this issue trying to mess with the Allen family, he could be doing it for the greater good. Stay with me.

After Henry shot the guard, he got some respect from Girder, who, in turn wouldn't give him up during his fight with Barry. Henry has become the alpha in that rogue crew.

Later on, when Zoom and Flash meet, Zoom brings Barry to the house where his mother died. There's no fight, just Zoom leading the way. If he despised the Flash as much as we think he does, then something bigger should have happened at the end of the issue.

There was to be something more to all of this. It can't be so cut and dry. Could Zoom be leading the Allens down a specific path so it doesn't mess up his future or a future event? Our theory says that's what's going on, mainly because of how held back Zoom seems in this issue. We may even go one step further and say all-in-all, Zoom is actually the hero of this story and his actions in this issue are stopping some huge, horrible events before they start.

We're not sure, but we'll keep you updated as more develops in this series!

What do you think is going on with Zoom and the Allens? Let us know!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

its what he does?

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

He's a sadistic psychopath with an unhealthy obsession for Barry Allen. In other words, he's such a freak.

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause he's craaaazzyyyy........

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Crazy pre-FP Wally gone the way of Red Hood/Jason Todd because Barry just threw him and his life under a bus?

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rubear

Because he is Zooooooom?
How the glark Reverse Flash, especially Prosfessor Zoom, can do something even remotly heroic?

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stop laughing at that picture. That random looking surprise reminds me of the part in the Iron Man 3 trailer when one of Tony's armors jumped at him and Pepper while they were in bed.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Cause the arts terrible along with the coloring

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I'm kinda bored with the reverse flash and professor zoom. I wish they would stay dead. eobard thawne, Malcolm thawne and thaddeus thawne should no longer exist. I actually like hunter zolomon as zoom because he wuz a friend become bitter enemy toward the flash. Daniel west should become the black flash to save time.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gave a little love to Vaaaaaan Jensen and this issue on instagram and he quickly replied.... stand up guy right there.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By goonage

THANK YOU! Everyone else seems to love it for some reason.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mfundroid: He'd fit right at home in Arkham Asylum.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: I hear that. What he lacks in sanity he makes up for in cruelty.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#13 inferiorego  Staff

Gave a little love to Vaaaaaan Jensen and this issue on instagram and he quickly replied.... stand up guy right there.

He's legitimately a good dude and friend. Don't tell anyone I said that. He's my mortal enemy

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kivatt
joaoanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so........ Zoom is the hero now?

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goonage: I have this odd like/dislike feeling about Brett Booth's art. I can't really describe it better than that.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Pro Zoom will be a "hero" but if it meant tarnashing Allen family and Barry especially he'd possibly do something heroic but only if it meant to spite Barry.

That's messed up read the issue before reading this, what he did to Henry lol... somehow though if he was a hero why would have have killed the cop using Henry? literally lol.

Also, I'm curious who's faster between Barry or Professor Zoom currently.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

That costume on Zoom looks pretty ridiculous.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Pro Zoom will be a "hero" but if it meant tarnashing Allen family and Barry especially he'd possibly do something heroic but only if it meant to spite Barry.

That's messed up read the issue before reading this, what he did to Henry lol... somehow though if he was a hero why would have have killed the cop using Henry? literally lol.

Also, I'm curious who's faster between Barry or Professor Zoom currently.

Zoom seems to be faster, in the last issue Zoom was messing with Barry and he never even saw him

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87: That's what I thought but apparently Barry DID see him as he said in this issue "You again?! Who are you?"

So Barry did see him but he didn't seem to be able to move as fast as Zoom was.