The Flash #43

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Continuing from the Annual issue last month, Professor Zoom and his newly recruited Acolytes have something in store for Barry: his end. However, Barry, as himself, wants to help his father too, all while trying to help support Wally and his new invention.

First, there's a lot going on in this arc, but it works because it gives Barry's life a sense of urgency. He isn't just a good guy dealing with a villain and impossible odds. That all exists, but in addition, his dad is on the run from the law and wants the Flash's help, but Flash sits in this weird spot where he has to stop crime but also help clear his father's name. Family is the center piece of this story and book and while things may seem chaotic within this book, at times, that's the balance act that most heroes and regular, average people have to make, minus the whole beating up criminals thing.

It's really nice to see some progression with Wally. Many fans are just waiting for him to turn into Kid Flash, but Venditti and Jensen are playing a longer game with him, getting him closer and closer to the speed force every time we see him, and in this issue, there's almost a leap towards it with the few pages we get to see him on. It's nothing huge, but there is a foundation for that character being built here that later on down the line, readers will fully be able to appreciate.

On the downside of things, there are some problems I'm having in the art department this month. Brett Booth is known for his style in which he draws characters, which is a bit elongated. There were a few times, within this issue, where it seemed a bit too much, especially in long-shots of these characters. However, one thing Booth should also be known for is the way he lays out the pages. It's chaotic and such a brilliant part of the book. On top of that, he, along with Norm Rapmund on inks as well, puts an insane amount of detail into each page. Booth and Rapmund give attention not just to body language and facial expressions, but the world surrounding these characters as well. To top all that off, you have Andrew Dalhouse on colors, and he always delivers someone sensational work.

THE FLASH is headed in a very interesting direction and building on the Annual issue and even the story arc prior to it. It all really works and steps forward towards the inevitable final battle between Flash and Zoom's Acolytes. Although there were some minor problems with the figures for the characters, this book is still a lot of fun and shows promise towards an epic finale.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Ya the art is just......

Sideel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TDK_1997

Both Venditti and Brett Booth should leave this book right away.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handofprometheus: Amazing? Booth has been getting better and better with each issue. The art is really good.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Why? They have had an incredibly good and consistent run. One of the best in comics.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starbrand1: Because the run is cheesy, they have no good ideas so far and every villain they've used doesn't like any kind of threat. The issues are boring, most of the characters aren't written well and when you add up Booth's art it becomes a total mess.

Mars8254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997:I think the art is really nice. It isnt manapul but it looks good to me. I will agree that the stories have been pretty weak though.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree to disagree about the story being cheesy.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mars8254 said:

@tdk_1997:I think the art is really nice. It isnt manapul but it looks good to me. I will agree that the stories have been pretty weak though.

I liked Booth's artwork at first but I grew tired of it. It doesn't fit well the Flash book.