The Flash Episode #210: "Potential Energy"

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Warning: This recap will contain spoilers for the January 19 episode of The Flash.

Photo Credit: Katie Yu/CW

On this week's episode of The Flash, Barry Allen meets Patty Spivot for a dinner date, but while trying to get there using his super-speed, he sets the roses for Patty on fire. The speedster villain Zoom shows up and kidnaps Patty, bringing her to the top of a building in the city. He drops her off the edge, but Barry wakes up, next to Patty. It was all a nightmare.

Joe West shows his son, Wally West, around the police station. Joe and his daughter Iris just found out Wally existed. Iris says she's always wanted a baby brother and Wally makes a remark about Barry. A man in the police station, who has been arrested, recognizes Wally and asks where his cuffs are. Wally denies knowing him. Patty shows up. She and Iris head out to coffee, where Patty thinks there's something holding Barry back. Iris reassures her that he's got a lot on his plate and everything will be fine.

Over at STAR Labs, Harrison Wells is trying to solve some problems on a chalkboard and becomes frustrated. Cisco comes in and tells him that he can't throw people's stuff around when they're pissed off. Cisco tells Harrison that while they've been trying to make Barry faster to beat Zoom, maybe they should try to make Zoom slower. Cisco says there may be a way to steal Zoom's speed. Cisco calls it "The Turtle." Cisco found a metahuman in the city that has the ability to slow time. This metahuman uses his power to steal valuables.

During an event at the police station, a man discusses the return of his priceless ring and the Flash is there on a stakeout. The Turtle shows up and slows down time. He steals the ring and the Flash runs in to stop him, but gets stuck in The Turtle's area where he slowed down time. The Flash is helpless and just watches Turtle walk away.

Caitlin tells Barry back at STAR Labs that whatever happened to the Flash was temporary. Jay Garrick, the Flash from Earth-Two, explains that he could still move a little bit and see Turtle because of his powers. Caitlin finds out Turtle's real name as he is already in the criminal database. Caitlin talks to Jay, who is feeling a bit bummed out that he doesn't have his speed powers anymore and he's not much help.

Joe West looks Turtle up at the police station and discusses the case with Barry. Joe says he's nervous about the dinner that evening with his estranged son. Barry assures Joe that he'll be at the dinner. Patty approaches Barry and says she doesn't want him to feel burdened. Barry tells her that it's a tough time of year for him because it's around when his mother died. Barry wants to go out with Patty for dinner and drinks.

At the West household, Iris, Joe, and Barry wait for Wally to show up, but he's a no-show. Joe calls it a night and goes to bed while Iris cleans up. Iris tells Barry that Patty cares for him and is concerned. Barry says he's been having nightmares about Zoom killing her. Iris says that Barry needs to tell Patty that he's the Flash, especially if he's serious about her. Barry decides it's time to tell her.

At STAR Labs, Cisco says he found something that could lead them to the Turtle. There's an event with an expensive painting on display that evening. Barry realizes that he has a date with Patty. Instead, Barry makes a plan for the two of them to go to the Central City Museum to see the painting. Barry tells Cisco and everyone else that he has a plan to tell Patty he's the Flash. Everyone seems cool with it, except for Harrison. He tells Barry to keep her as far away as possible because it could result in Zoom killing her.

Outside of the event, Harrison and Cisco keep watch and Harrison tells Cisco about the time Zoom set a trap on Earth-Two, where Zoom killed 14 police officers to show them how strong he is. Zoom has Harrison's daughter hostage and Cisco says he'll use his "vibe" powers to see if she's ok. Harrison declines.

Barry and Patty enjoy the event and dance and talk about their relationship and how Barry needs to open up more. Barry begins to tell Patty about the day he was struck by lightning but Turtle shows up and steals a painting. Turtle attempts to shoot down a chandelier, one that Patty is right under. Flash runs towards her but Turtle uses his power to slow time around him. Flash barely makes it.

Back at Patty's house, Barry shows up. She's upset because she thinks Barry ditched her. Barry keeps ditching her, in order to do things as the Flash. In the streets of Central City, Wally West is racing cars illegally. After winning a race, Joe finds him. Joe just wants to know why Wally didn't show up to dinner the night prior. Wally is mad because Joe has been out of his life for so long. Wally races cars and sells them to take care of his dying mother, Joe's ex-wife.

There's a knock on Patty's door. She opens it and there's Turtle. He kidnaps her because she's "the most precious to the Flash." Barry shows up later at Patty's place and sees bullets from Patty's gun on the floor. He rushes off the STAR Labs. At the Turtle's secret lair, Patty wants to know what the Turtle wants. He says he won't kill her, but he wants to hurt the person who values her, the Flash. Turtle says saving people is a waste of time. He opens up about his ex-wife, Rosalyn. He says he couldn't let her leave, so he stopped her in time and has her in a glass case. He plans on doing the same thing to Patty. He already has a case prepared for her.

Over at STAR Labs, the group realizes that because Turtle is a thief, he'll need a lot of space. His ex-wife, Rosalyn, was an archivist, so the group now has a hunch on where to go, her work because there's a lot of extra space there. Flash rushes to the Turtle's hideout. Inside, Turtle is preparing Patty and Flash runs in. Turtle slows down time and punches the Flash a few times. Flash runs away and gets a good running start to charge Turtle again. This time, Flash is successful and knocks Turtle out. Flash releases Patty and holds her but doesn't reveal his identity. Turtle gets locked up at STAR Labs. Jay reveals to Caitlin that he's sick after Caitlin confronts him. Jay says he didn't expect to develop a relationship with Caitlin and the only way to save him is to get his speed back, which means stopping Zoom. Thoughts

Wally shows up at Joe's and says he needs his hoodie. Wally says he's heading back to Keystone City. Joe says he needs to apologize to Wally for not being around when he was growing up and Joe has been pushing himself as a father-figure on Wally way too hard. Wally decides to stay for dinner. Barry heads into the police station to talk to Patty. Barry says Patty has been right. Barry says he hasn't been honest and Patty says she is leaving Central City. She got into a CSI program at a university and wants to pursue that. She hugs Barry and kisses him on the cheek and walks away.

Harrison Wells is at STAR Labs and leaves a journal entry, promising to save his daughter. He says he'd do unspeakable things to save his daughter. During this, Harrison goes into Turtle's containment unit and kills him by taking a brain sample, through his nose.

In the closing sequence, Reverse Flash shows up and it's Eobard Thawne. The real one, not the Harrison Wells clone from season one. Thawne has no idea where he is.

Thoughts

Out of all the episodes in this season, this is the one with the most emotional scenes of two people standing around talking about their feelings. It's very heavy handed and we get a lot of repeated discussions about characters drifting apart while trying to come together at the same time, whether it's Barry and Patty or Joe and Wally or Jay and Caitlin. It's all fine storytelling and well-written dialogue, but all-in-all, this is overkill when it comes to these overlapping scenes.

Aaron Douglas shows up as the villain of the week, Turtle. It was pretty interesting, and maybe we're reaching, that Turtle's wife was named Rosalyn and Douglas appeared on Battlestar Galactica, where the President's name was Roslin. Ok, maybe we are reaching; regardless, Douglas does a great job portraying a character that has a pretty dopey counterpart in the comics. Turtle was creepy and there's a lot they could have done with the character. It had legs. Sadly, he was killed off at the end of the episode. However, Douglas did a fine job with what was given to him.

Barry and Flash being at the same place at the same time to juggle work and love is the most cliched trope in all of television. It's extremely tired and overdone to the point where it becomes frustrating to see on the screen. Luckily this didn't play out like a comical Mrs. Doubtfire scenario. It's quick and straight to the point, which is a giant sigh of relief.

Everything here is building towards Jay Garrick getting his powers back and everyone taking on Zoom. There's not a whole lot that's delivered to push this over-arcing story forward, but what the audience got was some solid storytelling that really does a fine job of moving towards the finale of this season. This all builds tension and suspense and the audience can see what these characters want to accomplish, even though they know there's going to be a few wrenches thrown into the mix.

How about that final reveal that Eobode Thawne AKA the Reverse Flash is back in the mix? There's one of two different things going on. First, Thawne could have survived death at the end of season one by escaping and just got dropped into the future, after his distant relative killed himself. Second, and far more likely, this is the first time Thawne has come back to the past, even before killing Barry's mother. What's going to happen when Barry and the rest of the Flash team finds out about this? This was easily the most exciting part of the episode.

All-in-all, this was a pretty down the middle-of-the-road episode and not a very strong return after the winter break. "Potential Energy" gets caught up in way too much in dealing with inter-personal relationships while delivering a pretty weak Flash villain story. However, this was a great episode to get to see more of how Wally West fits into this world and maybe we'll actually get to see him as Kid Flash at the end of the season. Aside from all of that, the episode does do a fine job at moving towards the final goal of Flash taking on Zoom, possibly with Jay's help, so in the grand scheme of things, it does move well in that respect.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Flash is back!? Awesome.

But....I got a question Mat. Why do you need to recap the entire episode? Why not just post the thoughts section?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NightFang3

So did they just kill the Turtle?

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't think they are playing the Joe-Wally relationship well. Joe wasn't present for Wally's upbringing, but it had nothing to do with abandonment and it seems like both Wally and Joe would understand that.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boring. The real main course is next week's episode.

reverse_batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By reverse_batman

Why is everybody leaving Barry? I'm going to be pissed

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero: I think they learned that at the end of the series, but I understand why Wally doesn't want his dad around. For being a cop, it is kind of embarrassing that he didn't know he had a son

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new Thawne? Hmm Team up perhaps ?

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ultimatepower6: What a waste, but then again the actor wasn't given much to do.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatepower6: But he kinda had a legit reason to not assiocate with the woman but this actors looks like Jay wouldn't be suprise if they were brothers.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love patty, Barry pissed me off so much in this episode I'm almost ok with her leaving, she shouldn't have to deal with his shit. Considering how many people know he's the flash not telling her is just stupid and the whole "she will be in danger thing" would only be an issue if his enemy knew his secret identity, at which point she would be in danger either way.

The reverse flash tease was also annoyingly ruined by ads per usual.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a review? 70% was explaining what went down in the episode in detail. I liked the episode overall, I felt them shoving Patty out of the picture was maybe not handled well, but overall I really liked it. Totally got hooked with Turtle. Disappointing review.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Potential Energy was a good choice for the title as this season is struggling to pick up the pace.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally was ok eventhrough he might be a bit cliche, I don't like how things ended with Patty I hope they wait a long time before pairing Barry again and I felt that Jay was a jerk.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Black_Arrow

I don't really have any good theories with Thawne.

EDIT: looking at the promo it's clear that this is the first time he meets the Flash.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

This review got a 3 of 5? It deserves full stars.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turtle was pretty good, but I am just about sick of the villain of the week thing now. Wouldn't be so bad if it was the only show I watched out of the 3 DC shows, but I watch them all and they all do it. Would love it more like if it was handled like Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

Boring. The real main course is next week's episode.

I agree. I love this show, but this was arguably one of the show's weakest episodes. It was choppy, predictable, and the dialouge didn't land for me this week. Next week should be much better.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the episode overall, I felt them shoving Patty out of the picture was maybe not handled well, but overall I really liked it. Totally got hooked with Turtle. Disappointing review.

I liked the episode as well, and I am very disappointed that they did not take a different direction with Barry and Patty's relationship. When Wells told Barry to not tell Patty about the Flash I thought that Barry was going to take a different approach and prove that he is better off telling the people he loves about his identity. Heroes often say that they are afraid that their friends will be hurt, but writers never address the fact that when Heroes don't have to hide secrets they are much more capable of jumping into action and stopping something from happening. I thought Barry and Patty would be a great couple to do that, especially because Patty has shown herself to be a great detective (who for some reason couldn't detect a connection between Barry and Flash).

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else thinking they're moving towards the way Patty found out Barry was the Flash in New 52? She'll come back, or perhaps before she leaves, she sees a next to unconscious Flash who, without his mask, is evidently Barry. In New 52, Patty was anti-Flash until she realised it was Barry, perhaps she's going to be anti-Barry until she realises he's the Flash.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to be weird seeing the Reverse Flash, because he won't be Tom Cavanagh, and now he is the Reverse Flash to me. I heard that the actor that is the original appearance of RF is very good, I hope that he can convience me, that they are the same person.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 k4tzm4n  Moderator

The handling of the Barry/Patty drama has been so frustrating.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Lame episode. I've enjoyed Patty in the past, but her handling was frustrating this episode. We've seen the "should the hero tell his love interest about his secret identity" plot hundreds of times by now, and this episode didn't do anything to make the trope less cliche or boring.

Flash and Arrow really need to stop writing characters out of the show in such contrived ways. Patty's exit at the end of the episode was one of the most frustrating things I've seen from this show. Things like that need to be built up to over the course of several episodes, not just foreshadowed by a quick glimpse at an envelope and a few problems from one episode.

Wally...ugh... Looks like we're not actually getting the Wally West I was hoping for. I wish they'd gone younger in the casting, and more lighthearted in the execution.
Plus, the entire handling of the family dynamic of the Wests is so predictable. And Joe's willingness to shoulder all of Wally's blame is incredibly irksome. Suddenly not looking forward to Wally's future on The Flash anymore.

Jay and Caitlin is bland and forced, much like Caitlin's very existence on this show (no offense to Danielle Panabaker, who is solid, but who has to work with a character who clearly does not belong among the others).

Turtle was okay, but his villain speech to Patty was cliched and unnecessarily melodramatic.

Reverse Flash coming back is a plus. Looking forward to more of him. I did enjoy his Lescher's portrayal in "Tricksters" last year, so I'm hoping he can make me continue to buy him as the same Eobard Thawne we saw from Cavaghan last year.

4.5/10. Disappointing return.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@dan12456: Zoom does know Barry's identity..... And knows where the gang hang outs.

Hell if patty knew shed force herself in situations that would get her killed.

Its a cliche story line but Barry was right

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456: Zoom does know Barry's identity..... And knows where the gang hang outs.

Hell if patty knew shed force herself in situations that would get her killed.

Its a cliche story line but Barry was right

Exactly so if he was going to go after her it doesn't matter whether Barry tells her or not. There's no way she's safer if she doesn't know she is a target, than if she does. If he told her she can call Barry, knowing he's the flash, if someone goes after her.

And the forcing herself into danger argument is bizarre. She was already on the metahuman task force and faced off against King shark, Sand Demon, Trickster, Weather Wizard and Turtle in 10 episodes. Her seeking our metahumans is happening regardless... and if we don't worry about Iris, Cisco and Caitlin, 3 people with less combat training doing it, why should we worry about Patty?

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least Caitlin finally mentioned her husband since she started drooling over Jay. am I the only one that thinks that relationship was forced just to shut down the "snowberry" talk from last season?

Avatar image for misternefarious
MisterNefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode sucked.

Wally: He shows up at their door, all puppy dog eyed, wants to be family and then IMMEDIATELY starts acting like a total jerk for no reason? No. This kid sucks. Get Wally off the show.

Wells: So what? You're gonna use the turtle powers to stop Zoom? Barry just pushed harder and got through those powers, and we established Zoom is faster...

Thawne: No thanks? Why bother using Zoom if you're just gonna pull a Malcolm Merlyn and just reuse the same bad guy as before?

Patty: Thanks for introducing the only likable female on the show only to have Barry's ineptitude push her away.

Awful way to start the tail end of the season. First episode this season I didn't like.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Nice first episode to come back in with, reminding the audience that we don't get to see everything that goes on in their lives. It's all nicely used from the existence of Turtle to Patty leaving.

Cheap Plug to User Review

mikeg1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At no moment during Patty’s "dumping" of Barry did I feel the least bit sorry for him. He brought this one on himself. Everyone who shouldn’t know he is the Flash knows he’s the Flash either by him or one of his teammates telling them. The one Character he should tell, he "duffs" it. Good for Patty seeing that this was going nowhere fast.

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zackisme

Someone "PLEASE" change the formula of the show. This is cringeworthy television. BTW, no surprise that Wally is an as*whole. I mean every show has to have one.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First it was King Shark, now its Turtle damn you Welles stop killing cool villains

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

Boo on your ratings.

@inferiorego Honestly, please less recap and more review. This is like a boring book report. Seems like you're bored and just slugging through it. I want to know less facts and get more personal feelings. Please?

There's a reason we get more discussion on the forums than these reviews generate...

This is a review? 70% was explaining what went down in the episode in detail. I liked the episode overall, I felt them shoving Patty out of the picture was maybe not handled well, but overall I really liked it. Totally got hooked with Turtle. Disappointing review.

Agreed. Felt like it was being written as it was being watched.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disappointed on how quickly they ended Patty/Barry relationship. I can't speak from experience but she is suppose to be a steel willed officer who has battled super villains to avenger her father but she gets grabbed by one and she melts down and bolts town?

Putting aside Turtle's powers why she did Patty go all damsel in distress when he forced his way into her home? Yes,. as soon as he kicked on Time Stop fight would have been over but she got pushed back from the doorway and turned into a blubbering mess?

Many other issues as others have pointed out but I agree it was a bit of a let down..

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually liked this episode quite a bit. 4 stars for me. It's too bad the show keeps killing off so many villains. The Turtle was pretty cool. There was a lot of DRAMA this week but it was needed. It could have been spread out over a couple episodes but I'm fine with having a heavy drama episode instead of dragging it all out over multiple episodes. I'll miss Patty. Hopefully Barry wins her back.

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally was a jerk. Also, who the hell doesn't like chow mein!?

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the episode. The one thing that made me cringe was joe and Wally's relationship. Seemed a bit clichéd.

TubbyLumpkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will someone be making any Arrow reviews?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Flash is back!? Awesome.

But....I got a question Mat. Why do you need to recap the entire episode? Why not just post the thoughts section?

I'm guessing it helps with getting clicks. People like to sometimes go back and read what happened...

Reverse Flash is probably from Earth 2, that's my guess.

illmatic06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:

I love patty, Barry pissed me off so much in this episode I'm almost ok with her leaving, she shouldn't have to deal with his shit. Considering how many people know he's the flash not telling her is just stupid and the whole "she will be in danger thing" would only be an issue if his enemy knew his secret identity, at which point she would be in danger either way.

The reverse flash tease was also annoyingly ruined by ads per usual.

This. Barry has told random people that he barely knew that he was the Flash. Also I hate this comic book logic that by keeping others in the dark about your super hero identity spares them from harm when we see nothing but loved ones be endangered anyway. At least tell them so they can be somewhat alert and prepared.

I think the quality of the Flash went down this season.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo:

I always thought that the actress playing Patty was attractive, but it wasn't until this episode that I realized she had dat a$$!

Gold dress, FTW!!!

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barry knowing how Thawne turns out and their first meeting may be the reason his mother died, however it would be wise for storytelling purposes Barry never discloses their destiny. I hope that's the case, anyway.

I hope the writers can finally explain why it is Barry replaced himself twice in the timeline.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decent episode. Not the best but better than Arrow/ Btw this drama is the same crap we've been getting over at Arrow for over a season nw

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Friggin' CW just doesn't want their characters to be happy.

Boy meets perfect girl. Boy messes it up. Boy has perfect opportunity/excuse to make it up. Girl thinks it's too late and moves on.

And the cycle starts over again, probably with Iris again.

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best interpretation of the turtle other than that nothing else I cared about.

I hope reverse flash comes back tot stay, hes way better than zoom

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This may actually be the worst portrayal of Wally West ever.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't understand the complaining about wally's and joe's relationship. they barely know each other. of course it's forced. he just met the father who never knew he existed. it's obvious that wally doesn't blame joe totally for not being there for him. it's just awkward for both of them. they will probably grow to like each other. i also understand his resentment towards barry. barry got the relationship with joe that wally should have had.