Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

With DC Rebirth, we're getting the best of both worlds. We have the characters and world set up during the New 52, but we also have a return of some classic elements. Superman is the perfect example. This is essentially the Man of Steel we had before Flashpoint in 2011. Remember when Superman was married to Lois Lane? Imagine if that marriage was allowed to continue. Through the events of Convergence, Lois and Clark got to live their lives together and even had a son they named Jon.

With the creative team that deftly handled the father and son superhero dynamic in Batman and Robin, Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason are the perfect team to explore the father/son relationship here. We may have familiar characters with Superman and Lois, but they have also changed and evolved during their years hiding in the New 52 world with their son. Superman has decided to reclaim his mantle, and there is some adjusting that needs to be done. As if that wasn't enough, Jon has just discovered his father's secret and has to deal with the fact his superpowers are now developing.

There is definitely a lot of potential here. We have the classic Superman back yet, he's in a completely new situation because he's a father. We also get the chance to see a Superboy figure out who he is and how to control is developing abilities.

Gleason's art is a joy to see. When you see Jon looking at his father with admiration, you can't help but smile. Jon is definitely going through some things and you can feel the different emotions through Gleason's art. Gleason doesn't just draw the characters; he draws their emotions.

The unknown factor is how the story of the super-family adjusting to life will balance with the Adventures of Superman. We're already seeing Jon put in an unfortunate situation. Will we see typical dilemmas Superman's kid will have to go through? It's not really clear what kind of a book this will be. We have a juicy cliffhanger, but we'll have to wait and see where the book goes. Jon's new problem that arises in this issue could go in a few different directions. It could easily become a cliché situation, but it's more likely Tomasi has intriguing in mind.

We're entering a new chapter in the life of Superman. With the return of the classic (and married) Superman, we're seeing the Last Son of Krypton in a new light. Superman's has always had to juggle his personal life with his superhero antics, but now he has a wife and kid to worry about as well. Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason are the perfect pair to depict the life of a superpowered father and son. Since this isn't your typical Superman comic, it'll be interesting to see where the series goes. How much superhero antics will there be versus the depiction of a family life. Superman is back, but this isn't the Man of Steel you've seen before.

#1 Posted by z3ro180 (8778 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this issue can't wait to see what the team has for the futre

#2 Posted by vinomonster (5564 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the duo's run on Batman and Robin. This issue makes want to read more.

#3 Posted by superhoodie (614 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue was very good, can not wait for the next.

#4 Edited by apokos7 (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty nice issue. The family dynamic was really good and Jonathan is an interesting character to explore. It seems to take place a little later down the line. Also Clark's family seem to have dropped the White surname for Smith.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
#5 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (2623 posts) - - Show Bio

This was dark

#6 Edited by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

@apokos7 said:

Pretty nice issue. The family dynamic was really good and Jonathan is an interesting character to explore. It seems to take place a little later down the line. Also Clark's family seem to have dropped the White surname for Smith.

Hahaha, Smith is such a generic "secret identity" name. I kinda liked white, tho I hope they return him to Kent when he figures out what that whole deal with Oz is.

#7 Posted by Farkam (11990 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow this was so good.

#8 Posted by UltimateSMfan (2377 posts) - - Show Bio

When Jon looks out the window...I got chills with what followed :) This issue was great!!

#9 Posted by casper4690 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Superb issue . I feel little Jon's frustration. Art was splendid, and I can't wait to see how the family develops. Great job ! Favorite cover as well

#10 Posted by danhimself (21433 posts) - - Show Bio

I am absolutely loving Rebirth so far!

#11 Posted by Lvenger (36295 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't expect the first issue to go the way it did but this might turn out well for a character arc for Jon. Being uncertain and scared of his own powers is a good way to start off his journey on a more personal level than what we've seen.

#12 Edited by entropy_aegis (20735 posts) - - Show Bio

This was damn good, darker than I expected but still I think there should been a bit more content. The arc is shaping up nicely though.

#13 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue. The only problem was it was short in terms of new content.

Gleason is drawing an awesome Superman!

#14 Posted by blackagar (950 posts) - - Show Bio

When Jon looks out the window...I got chills with what followed :) This issue was great!!

that panel when they all look at him was sick!

#15 Posted by NickInACage (79 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by juanM578 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue was great. The boy is slowly growing to terms with his power and through that he killed his cat... it's sad. He'll get over it. This is not like some massive trauma. It's an accident that's gonna make Jon afraid of what he can do. Make him pensive. However, he's going to get over it and continue to be the ball of joy he's depicted as.

The dialogue and characterization was one point. Everything felt natural and true to what the person would say. You can see Clark trying to be understanding to his son while also being firm. Nothing unhealthy like Batman's guarded style of parenting. Didn't get much of Lois here, but it seems like she's still out there exposing people. Jon is interesting in that we don't have a solid personality for him yet. All we got is that he's inquisitive like his mother (which we got here). It'll be good to see how the evolution of his powers and personality will be. It was all REALLY cool when he saw the Trinity and got scared buy all of them. That panel of their eyes was my favorite.

The art was also nice. But this is to be expected. Really liked the way Jon and Lois were drawn. Also the scene with Jon's heat vision was cool. That blast seemed bigger than usual. That might be cause it was uncontrolled or maybe his blast are just stronger.

9/10 for me

#17 Posted by UltimatePower6 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@juanm578: Poor Goldie T.T I actually paused thinking that was the bird...then hoped it was the bird....then I was like "ooooh"

#18 Posted by UltimatePower6 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if Superman and Batman will trade parenting tips...that would be awesome.

#19 Posted by comicace3 (12425 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved it.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
#20 Posted by Fastestmanalive (232 posts) - - Show Bio

This was pretty good but not what I was expecting.

Good emotional beats. Really empathize with Jon and being scared about his lack of control of his powers. Did not expect it to go so dark. Also that last page is a juicy cliffhanger.

My problem with this is that even though its great writing and pretty good art as well I don't like that its in a Superman book.

Clark is my favorite hero, after Wally of course, And I want a book that focuses on him, especially one with his name in the title.

This would have been a lot better in a book called "Son of Superman" or something.

I just want this book to focus on Clark and his super heroics and him being Superman and a lot less on Jon who should just be supporting cast.

Oh well. Only the first issue so we"ll see.

#21 Posted by roaris87 (404 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed this book, I've never been a huge Superman solo fan, but Tomasi and Gleason always deliver, I'm hooked!

#23 Edited by CaptainHoopla (1974 posts) - - Show Bio

"If that cat had nine lives, it just spent 'em all Clark." - Cousin Eddy

This was solid. I'm intrigued enough to stick with it for now and see how it progresses.

#24 Posted by Sy8000 (34971 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue was darker and scarier than it should've been. It has potential but I hope we don't keep getting scenes that have Superman and Wonder Woman of all people look like the stuff of children's nightmares. Really if it had just been Batman this would've been much more reasonable.

#25 Posted by DeathandGrim (4781 posts) - - Show Bio

With a weekly release they can finally slow down the ridiculous pacing that monthly's suffered from because they had to crunch so much in an issue. But this is slower, more character driven and moderately paced. Helps so much in telling the story. I loved the issue, was perfect.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
#26 Posted by BappyRonChantin (2772 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it except the fact the focus wasn't on the titular character.

The kid is going to get locked down in watchtower right?

#27 Posted by entropy_aegis (20735 posts) - - Show Bio

Well obviously it focused on Jon, the arc is called Son of Superman duh, they're clearly trying to develop Jon in time to join Damian in Super Sons. Also I'm 100% sure Tomasi and Gleason were selected for this book precisely due to their work in Batman and Robin & Robin Son of Batman.

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
#28 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (3550 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh boy more number ones to buy. Hope there going to be good.

#29 Posted by Pres_Superman (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Toasty!

#30 Posted by damasta414 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP Kitty. We hardly knew ye.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#31 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

THis was awesome. Art was so good also

~MiB

#32 Posted by mickeymayhew (426 posts) - - Show Bio

so who was the Superman who's been in the New 52 for the last five years?!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue was darker and scarier than it should've been. It has potential but I hope we don't keep getting scenes that have Superman and Wonder Woman of all people look like the stuff of children's nightmares. Really if it had just been Batman this would've been much more reasonable.

Jon is a child and things like that are scary when you are his age.

#34 Posted by Sy8000 (34971 posts) - - Show Bio

@highaccuser said:

Yeah, but did it need to be so scary for the reader?

#35 Posted by Lvenger (36295 posts) - - Show Bio
@jonny_anonymous said:
@highaccuser said:

Yeah, but did it need to be so scary for the reader?

This is a valid point, a comment on a review I read argued that it would have been an equally effective emotional scene had Jon's use of heat vision just made the cat scared of him. The impact of Jon's misuse of his powers going awry would still be there, just without the darkness. The charred cat skeleton does seem too reminiscent of what the New 52 did.

#36 Posted by Sy8000 (34971 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

This is a valid point, a comment on a review I read argued that it would have been an equally effective emotional scene had Jon's use of heat vision just made the cat scared of him. The impact of Jon's misuse of his powers going awry would still be there, just without the darkness. The charred cat skeleton does seem too reminiscent of what the New 52 did.

Yeah that would be much more fitting...this actually reminds me Tomasi wrote Damian not long ago...good tidings or bad?

#37 Posted by Lvenger (36295 posts) - - Show Bio
@lvenger said:

Yeah that would be much more fitting...this actually reminds me Tomasi wrote Damian not long ago...good tidings or bad?

Well Born to Kill was really good to be fair even though it got dark...but Jon isn't Damian so purposefully creating dark situations for Jon to experience might not work so well on Superman's son like it would for Batman's son.