Who Is More Relatable? Batman or Superman?

• 157 results
TheNameIsWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By TheNameIsWayne

A good friend of mine told me the other day that; Batman is more popular than Superman only because he is a human and more relatable than an alien with superpowers. Being a fan of Batman and reading Superman, i find that completely wrong. 
Yes, Batman is a human being and so are we, and last time I checked none of us are aliens with powers. But as much as I have always wanted to relate to Batman since childhood, I cant. If my parents were to die infront of me, I doubt I would ever wear the cape and cowl and fight crime. Being relatable can mean very different perspectives. What people dont realize is that Batman is no where near an average person. Through his training, he has achieved 100% human perfection and the peek of human conditioning. No one in this world can say they have trained since childhood and gained this level of skill. Not to mention his 127 mastered martial art forms and his genius brain. When reading his comics, the only thing any one can relate to, is the loss of loved ones and seeing death. But Superman has seen that too. The other perspective is his psyche. Batman is a very angry person and focuses only on the mission of bringing justice and fear to those who deserve it. While at the same time, pretending to be a joyful Billionaire. if you were a schitzofrenic, then sure you can be Batman all you want, but would you be rich and have mastered all human skills? 

Now for Superman. I honestly dont like the character and I find the comics very linear and uneventful unlike Batman comics. But I still read them because part of me feels a lot like him. If I can say I relate to a character yet dont like him, well thats saying a lot. Lets look at Superman's origin. His planet blew up and was launched into a spaceship resulting in him landing on the Kent Farm and being taken in... hmmm what does that sound like? Adoption process? I am pretty sure alot of people feel like they have no home they can say they are from. Second, Superman constantly feels alienated (no pun intended) and metaphorically shunned that he cant truly be a human. What I know about growing up is that; as some point, you will feel alone and misunderstood, like you dont belong with certain types of groups and feel like you cant offer anything. Yet people get over those bumps by embracing their differences and try to build a life. Superman has done this. He has landed a secure job, a wife and a proper life living on Earth since he was born. He did not just arrive in his 20s like Kara El. He grew up there and faced the world by being different which everyone is. Yes he has superpowers that define most heroes, but he uses them responsibly and is in control of them, which many people feel they need to, Superman juggles family and saving the world, people juggle their own issues. Superman saves lives, so do cops and firefighters. If Superman inspires people then that means people see him as relatable and thus want to do good, like him. 

In conclusion, Batman is the greatest human being to ever live and greatest superhero for that matter, but  he cannot relate to people, which makes his comics so intriguing because, people read comics for entertainment and taking a break from reality and seeing the darkness that Batman brings. Superman may not ever be one of my favourites, but I can see all my emotions in him and sometimes with my talents I feel like I have superpowers. 

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

Batman is who we can be.
Superman is who we aspire to be.

So, I'm gonna say Batman.

TheNameIsWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheNameIsWayne
@InnerVenom123: LOL read it again man
A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By A_O_N

@InnerVenom123: But, you (generally speaking) can't be Batman. That is what he is saying. It is a valid point. ;/

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123
@TheNameIsWayne: Yeah, I disagree though. :P I can't fly and a green rock won't kill me, therefore I do not relate to Superman.
SHAFEMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SHAFEMAN

The thing about supes (and this is pretty much what your post said just in the way i've been saying it for years.) is that even though he's technically an alien he's more human than any of the other heros. the reason so many people (ME) like him isn't his endlessly cool powers its the fact that he is so inherently human. He was raised by good people who instilled in him a love of truth justice and the American way. whereas batman left humanity behind him long ago, superman is constantly trying to embrace humanity wishing that he could be one of us , at the same time that we are wishing we could be him.

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By A_O_N

Superman is the epitome of emotion in superheroes anyway, while Batman hardly shows any.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By PowerHerc

For me Superman is more relatable.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

Neither. I don't look good in tights.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Caligula

while no, the average person doesn't have the access to resources that would help you to become Batman. His abilities are attainable with hard work and enough money.

Where as Superman's is not.

TheNameIsWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheNameIsWayne
@Caligula: He traveled around the world, black belt for 127 martial art styles, greatest detective in the world, human body perfection, self mind manipulation. No one can can do that lol. Thats just a tip of the iceberg.
TheNameIsWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheNameIsWayne
@InnerVenom123: I agree, but you cant be Batman either. Im trying to say that Superman is more relatable because of the points above. 
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Caligula
@TheNameIsWayne said:
" @Caligula: He traveled around the world, black belt for 127 martial art styles, greatest detective in the world, human body perfection, self mind manipulation. No one can can do that lol. Thats just a tip of the iceberg. "
who says that someone with enough time, money, and transportation couldn't achieve this.
TheNameIsWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheNameIsWayne
@Caligula: Well that is impossible to do due to many reasons, but that is not the point. The point is who is more relatable. Read it again lol
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Caligula
@TheNameIsWayne said:
" @Caligula: Well that is impossible to do due to many reasons, but that is not the point. The point is who is more relatable. Read it again lol "
and my point is because while Batman is merely exaggerated reality, where as Superman is supernatural.
therefore making Batman a naturally more relatable character. you missed the point.

and have yet to prove Batman as impossible, it is not impossible. it is improbable there is a difference.
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Nasar7

I agree Supes is more relatable. 

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Kairan1979

If you are inspired by Batman, you will turn into a vigilante... and then you'll get beaten by Batman, who doesn't tolerate vigilantes in "his" city.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mumbles

bats. he helps others more

TheNameIsWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheNameIsWayne
@Caligula: your still missing  the point. I said Both characters are physically impossible to achieve. But you need to open up your mind and see that being relatable does not completely mean physically. Emotional and Inspirational plays big roles. And, Batman cant be real, humans cannot jave that many abilities and master them since the age of 8. Thats why its a comic book. 
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Caligula
@TheNameIsWayne said:
" @Caligula: your still missing  the point. I said Both characters are physically impossible to achieve. But you need to open up your mind and see that being relatable does not completely mean physically. Emotional and Inspirational plays big roles. And, Batman cant be real, humans cannot jave that many abilities and master them since the age of 8. Thats why its a comic book.  "
derp. i am aware of this.

but I find it difficult relate more with an Alien being than a Human being. Logic for the win.
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I'M BATMAN!!!

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Caligula
@Supreme Marvel said:
"

I'M BATMAN!!!

"
I R RELATE!
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Gambit1024

I think anybody who has been adopted, immigrated, or just doesn't fit in with anyone in general can relate to Superman.

I find it very difficult to think of someone who can relate to Batman. Perhaps someone who's lost their parental figures? Someone who has everything, but nothing all at the same time? Anyone who wants to punch a clown in the face?
...Well that last one is pretty plausible now that I think about it 0_o
Murasame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Murasame

Superman has more going for him personality-wise to relate to. He's more like a simple man with super powers, he doesn't have a vision or amazing plan like Batman does, he just wants to do the right thing. The difference between Superman and a normal person is Superman has super-powers. He displays a lot more self-doubt than most heroes as well.
The thing where Superman probably fails some people is superman is rarely arrogant or cruel. A lot of people particularly young adults fall out with Superman because of lacking those destructive/dark tendencies, with the same goes for the golden-age styled Batman.

digimod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By digimod

I can relate more with Superman.

This is kind of like the Ninja vs Pirates question.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AtPhantom
@Murasame said:
" Superman has more going for him personality-wise to relate to. He's more like a simple man with super powers, he doesn't have a vision or amazing plan like Batman does, he just wants to do the right thing. The difference between Superman and a normal person is Superman has super-powers. He displays a lot more self-doubt than most heroes as well.The thing where Superman probably fails some people is superman is rarely arrogant or cruel. A lot of people particularly young adults fall out with Superman because of lacking those destructive/dark tendencies, with the same goes for the golden-age styled Batman. "
Golden age Batman was incredibly dark and destructive.
Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#26  Edited By Dracade102

Superman... I find it hard to relate to a orphaned billionaire psychopath who preys on the mentally un-fit.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By buttersdaman000

Honestly, neither.

Superman is too pure, hardly ever breaking.
Batman is too.......determined......and perfect....basically nearly all of his personality traits are maxed out and extreme.

The easiest characters to relate too usually belong in Marvel......

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ssejllenrad

I wear glasses and write articles from time to time. And I'm not a millionaire.

I go with Supes.. :D

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ssejllenrad
@buttersdaman000 said:
" The easiest characters to relate too usually belong in Marvel...... "
Yes.. Tony Stark... Ok no... I meant Thor.. Nyehehehehe! Kidding mate.. :p
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Primmaster64

I agree with what you wrote.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ssejllenrad
@AtPhantom said:
" @Murasame said:
" Superman has more going for him personality-wise to relate to. He's more like a simple man with super powers, he doesn't have a vision or amazing plan like Batman does, he just wants to do the right thing. The difference between Superman and a normal person is Superman has super-powers. He displays a lot more self-doubt than most heroes as well.The thing where Superman probably fails some people is superman is rarely arrogant or cruel. A lot of people particularly young adults fall out with Superman because of lacking those destructive/dark tendencies, with the same goes for the golden-age styled Batman. "
Golden age Batman was incredibly dark and destructive. "
The transition from the original dark themed Batman and the smiley goof controversially pedophile Batman happened during the golden age. 40's I think. So he's still considered golden age. I think the war-time Batman already had his boy wonder.
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Primmaster64
@ssejllenrad: lol
darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By darkcloakx

neither. that's why i go for spidey because he's a regular guy with super powers and problem with money, girls, and being considered a freak cause of who he is which, is being a nerd and i can relate to that. Static from DC  cause he's the spiderman version him in dc getting powers in highschool

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Neither of them are. But why would you want them to?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@buttersdaman000: see i don't like that misconception that Marvel has "more relatable heroes" i think it's false, i think a more proper saying would be "Marvel has more flawed heroes" i mean think about it, most of their heroes (except spidey and captain america) either have psychopathic tendies Moon Knight Sentry, Hulk, Daredevil, are murderers, Punisher, Wolverine, heck ALL of X force, or have some kind of addiction, Iron Man, Ms.Marvel, or are just plain jerks with God complexes Namor, Thor (although this is understandable). i mean i find it a lot easier to relate to some one like superman, who is knows the difference between right and wrong and wont cross the line or someone like Batman who has dedicated his entire being mind body and spirit to help make a city safe than to the loose cannons in Marvel. i mean be honest if you decided to become a superhero, would you 
A. go on a killing spree and beat all of the criminals half to death or 
B. defeat them without being charged with attempted murder and hand the over to the cops
furthermore, although i can't speak for anyone else here, but i am not an alcoholic, i am not schizo i have no addictions and i don't know anyone who has any of those ailments either so yeah, that's not really relatable to me, sorry iron man 
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ssejllenrad

Most relatable superhero:

No Caption Provided
MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By MrDirector786

When you really think about, Batman isn't as realistic as people think. I think the Opening post pretty much explained why. People seem to think he's realistic because he has no powers, but when you get right down to it he's not that realistic. Mastering 127 martial arts in like 20 years or so is impossible for a real person. I've heard that people spend their whole lives trying to master just 1 martial art so him mastering 127 in like 20 years isn't very realistic. And as you said, he trained himself to physical perfection in that time, and all those other things he did as well make him very much beyond a regular human.

Murasame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Murasame
@ssejllenrad:@ssejllenrad said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @Murasame said:
Golden age Batman was incredibly dark and destructive. "
The transition from the original dark themed Batman and the smiley goof controversially pedophile Batman happened during the golden age. 40's I think. So he's still considered golden age. I think the war-time Batman already had his boy wonder. "
The Dark Batman was less than a year, I know he started that way but still... it was less than a year and hardly anybody read it before Robin came about. The golden age was really dominated by the family-friendly Batman.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrDirector786:  My only theory is that Batman is like many of the kids from school who said they knew karate so the other kids wouldn't beat them up.
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Primmaster64
@MrDirector786: indeed
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By buttersdaman000
@The Stegman:
Its the fact that Marvel heroes have problems and character flaws that make them more relatable.
Superman is pretty much the perfect man, with hardly anything wrong with him. I doubt that you are.
Batman is an unrealistic person with unrealistic personality traits and unrealistic accomplishments. I doubt anybody could live his life.

@ssejllenrad said:

" Most relatable superhero:

No Caption Provided
"

lol true

@darkcloakx:
ahh I forgot about Static
Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me: Hey batman, wanna play some Halo Reach?

Batman(bruce): .........

Me: Um......we don't have to do deathmatches. We can just do Firefights, it's really easy to gain ranks.

Batman(bruce) ..........

Me: Ok fine. Wanna watching some episodes of Arrested Development on the big screen in the Batcave?

Batman(bruce): The only thing i watch is Gotham CIty until she screams at night for me.

Me: ...........Ok fine, in the words of Commander Shepard. "I'm done here."

Me: Hey check out, Burger King gave me two whoppers instead of one. Shoop da Whoop!

Superman: Hm.. You know you have to return it and address their error or just drive back around and pay it.

Me:Now way. They screwed up, they should deal it. You want this whopper or not?

Superman: What you are doing is wrong. You either return it or I'LL return it.

Me: Fine, then you return it. I am not making a u-turn. Ugh, I hate you!  &$%#ing conservative boyscout always get one my damn nerves.

Me;Hey luke Cage, What's going on with this Thunderbolt business?

Luke Cage: Fool whatcha about?

Me: People are talkin about how you suck and this and that. This whole you being a family man is making you soft.

Luke Cage: Aw man. %^&5 them I aint worried about them bitches. Look I got mouths to feed. You what I'm saying? Now, I'm pissed.

Me: You aint gotta tell me nothing twice. I got a mouths to feed in my own house. Either way I still got ya back, cuz.

Luke Cage: Thanks cuz, I still got some spare time and still have access to the Avengers credit card. Wanna hit the Hellfire strip club?

Me: Is the avengers buyng my lapdance?

Luke Cage:  Aaaw cuz You know how I do? In fact I'm gonna see if Danny wanna a piece of this action.

Me:Now %^&ing way! You know how crazy the "Ironfist" can get when he's drunk. Why do you thing he is called "ironfist"

Luke Cage: Did I also mention i can have Jessica Drew hook you up?

Me: Jessica?  My darling Jessica? The woman I always will love..........SOLD! AVENGERS ASSEMBLE! 

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By entropy_aegis
@Dracade102 said:
"Superman... I find it hard to relate to a orphaned billionaire psychopath who preys on the mentally un-fit. "

Batman...i find it hard to take a guy who uses glasses to hide himself relatable LMAO.

Now on a serious note neither are relatable and that's fine cause i personally can only relate to a character for so long.I just go for whoever is more inspiring,confident and powerful.Both fit this standard.  

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Primmaster64
@FortressoftheMoon: LOL
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@buttersdaman000: Superman has just as many problems as the other heroes, he has to deal with married life and the constant threat of putting the people he loves in danger, he has doubts , what if he can't save the day? what if he fails? what would happen if he can't be the hero the public needs? i'd say he's perfectly complex without being an alcoholic or a drug addict 
Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Manchine

Superman.
lantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lantern2814

Superman is more relatable in the sense that he has everyday problems...he is an average joe by day which is something ppl relate to. I would be the friend mentioned in the post that said batman is more relatable. What i meant is even though both these superheroes are physically impossible to relate to, it wont stop everyone thinking that batman's physical form is a reachable level to them.  The general public believes that all it takes is a few gadgets and martial arts and voila...everyone is batman..obviously thats not how it relle is but that wont stop ppl from relating to batman's physical stature whereas superman can move planets...who can ppl relate to, a guy who can lift 500 pounds or a guy who who can ift 500 tons?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#48  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

supes is actually easier to relate to. as clark kent he's just a sweet average joe who loves his parents,his woman and pb and j sammiches.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ssejllenrad

I can't relate to either but I could relate to Galactus.. Cause I'm always hungry!

Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Demas
@Caligula said:
" derp. i am aware of this.but I find it difficult relate more with an Alien being than a Human being. Logic for the win. "
Wow.  That is messed up.

Relation is a matter of character, personality, and minds but you've decided biology "logically" dictates the difficulty of relation automatically.  So who cares if their goals, dreams, personality, ethics, attitudes, culture, or lifestyle are more similar... if they've got different levels of melanin in their skin, hair color, eye shape, or sex they're "logically" more difficult to relate to "for the win".

Going by this "logic" you could tell whether you relate to someone by looking at them from across the room, whether or not they open their mouth to share their lives or thoughts or feelings... you could dismiss them outright based on biology.