#1 Posted by z3ro180 (8778 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it wasn't expecting some mind blowing issue but tomansi (for me at least) set the tone for what his superman run will be like. The two page spreads of Supes fighting Doomsday were nouthing short of epic but the artist (can't remember his name) just can not draw a smiling face with out it looking weird. Any way that my 2 cent on the issue.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
#2 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (2623 posts) - - Show Bio

Reign of the supermen 2.0

#3 Edited by Drocta (248 posts) - - Show Bio

It was basically the epilogue for Final Days, which is fine. It was a major transition issue, too, which is tricky to pull off. But I'm now officially tired of hearing about the dead kid. With him now buried and his affairs in order, let's move forward and get to better adventures and a better Metropolis.

#4 Posted by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the call back to The Death of Superman, but my overall opinion of Superman: Rebirth #1 is meh.

#5 Edited by ZariusII (5540 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the call back to The Death of Superman, but my overall opinion of Superman: Rebirth #1 is meh.

I thought you were done with Superman books?

#6 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

This. I liked it but I hope Superman #1 & Action Comics #957 have a bit more recap and introduction for new readers.

#7 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a good bridge between the old Superman and the new Superman and did a top notch job of setting up where the Superman Rebirth status quo would be going. I even liked the use of the Death of Superman backstory and I'm not a fan of that story particularly. Lana and Superman were written well, the emphasis on legacy was done well and it brought Superman back into the fold of this world. It was nice for the focus to be on character discussion and not action outside of Doomsday but Mankhe's art there was brutally beautiful.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
#8 Edited by BappyRonChantin (2772 posts) - - Show Bio
@lvenger said:

It was a good bridge between the old Superman and the new Superman and did a top notch job of setting up where the Superman Rebirth status quo would be going. I even liked the use of the Death of Superman backstory and I'm not a fan of that story particularly. Lana and Superman were written well, the emphasis on legacy was done well and it brought Superman back into the fold of this world. It was nice for the focus to be on character discussion and not action outside of Doomsday but Mankhe's art there was brutally beautiful.

most of what he said

#9 Edited by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: I read this issue (and all the other Rebirth #1's) in the comic book store I go to.

#10 Posted by z3ro180 (8778 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Yep mankhe really knows how to make a battle look painful.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
#13 Posted by Deranged Midget (18346 posts) - - Show Bio

The art was fantastic. I wish Tomasi had a grip on New 52 Superman earlier than this.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
#14 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (5417 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was weird seeing Superman wearing eyeliner, his inability to grow a real beard, wearing a cape over long johns and so on.

#15 Posted by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:
@kcomicfan said:

I thought you were done with Superman books?

as much as people like saying they are "done" they never are, its like a drug. the curiosity gets the best of you

#16 Edited by Drocta (248 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe said:

I thought it was weird seeing Superman wearing eyeliner, his inability to grow a real beard

Lolwut?

@sesquipedalophobe said:

wearing a cape over long johns and so on.

Have you never read a superhero comic before?

#17 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: I mean the cuts, bruises and carnage were just done so well here, this is some of Mahke's best work. It's gotten more detailed in recent years compared to his JLA artwork for instance.

#18 Posted by z3ro180 (8778 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: yep I agree but the dude just can not draw a smiling face without it looking aqward

#19 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: I'll agree there, his facial expressions could do with some work.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#20 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22677 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it. Hopefully the writers can keep up with the quality.

The art was fantastic. I wish Tomasi had a grip on New 52 Superman earlier than this.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#21 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15428 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it, it was my favorite among the Rebirth titles. It was just a setup book so I have no strong opinion on it.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
#22 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (5417 posts) - - Show Bio

@drocta: Without the red underwear, I can't really tell if it's his costume or what he wears to ballet recitals. Perhaps a tutu would clear this up. Know what I mean?

#23 Posted by iBEAT_MiDGETS (17 posts) - - Show Bio

It was horrible, like all DC comics.

#24 Posted by Drocta (248 posts) - - Show Bio

@drocta: Without the red underwear, I can't really tell if it's his costume or what he wears to ballet recitals. Perhaps a tutu would clear this up. Know what I mean?

No.

Was this ever a problem with Green Lantern? Or Batman in recent years?

#25 Posted by Mexicutioner (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe: Yeah because wearing red underwear on the outside of your clothes is much better, a very manly look.

#26 Edited by ZariusII (5540 posts) - - Show Bio

@ibeat_midgets said:

It was horrible, like all DC comics.

Troll harder Mouseketeer

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
#27 Posted by HeavenlyDarkDragon (2219 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180:

They might as well not wasted the comic, and moved on to show how the old now new Superman is preparing to take up the mantle once again.

DC trying to show through one Superman that they cared for the other Superman was a waste of time, it felt and looked fake, and wasn't really necessary.

Expect for the artwork can't say it had anything else storywise.

Avatar image for thecapeddetective
#28 Posted by TheCapedDetective (557 posts) - - Show Bio

It was good, brought back lots of good stuff but imo was the weakest rebirth title. It didn't intrigue much for it's next issues, worked better as an epilogue to the death of New 52 Superman.

#29 Posted by Drocta (248 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Batman: Rebirth was the weakest.