• 77 results
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dernman

This is a place where you can share your unpopular Superman personal opinions, preferences, ideas and thoughts. Remember this is peoples own personal things so there is no reason to get upset. Please be civil with opinions other than your own. Also please no trolling.

I'll start off.

• I'm against feats like that scan of bench pressing the weight of the Earth.
  • Drop the FTL
  • Not a fan of the freeze breath.
  • No trunks
  • I do want original Superman back but I was hoping they'd roll his age back to something younger.
  • Superman>>>>>>>>Supergod
  • Superman doesn't need to go overboard with the Nerdy/fumbling Clark. Just the fact he's a farmboy with those values would be enough to be looked at as odd.
Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So this is where you want Viners to share unpopular ideas and thoughts, and hope for no trolling comes along... Okay I'll bite.

Here goes:

• I hate the solar battery explanation for kryptonian powers
  • I think the red sunlight weakness his simply dumb and should be removed
  • Kryptonians even on Krypton should be portrait as being superhuman in feats
  • I don't like it that Superman has no defenses against magic or psychics
  • I think Clark and Lois as a couple are more than worn out
  • I'd like to see Krypton history and secrets greatly explored
  • I'd like to see Superman or another character explore kryptonite as a means to gain powers and not simply act as poison
  • I definitely have no love or interest for Rebirth Superman
  • I'd really love that they'd stop with all the crystal tech. It's all crystal. Please mix some metal in there. I much more appreaciated John Byrne take on kryptonian tech

This is it I guess.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dernman

@heavenlydarkdragon: Not trolling. I find it's easier to deal with Unpopular Opinions in this type of environment. First you know what you're dealing with from the title and the OP specifically points out that it's just personal subjective opinions and should be taken as such.

• I hate the solar battery explanation for kryptonian powers

I like the solar energy explanation for powers like heat vision. Though for his other physical powers I would alter how that is. Like it's not so much a battery and aura as encourages his body to naturally grow that way. So if he gets drained it only affects things like heat vision.

I do also. For me red light should just not give him power not weaken him.

In past incarnations he has had defenses against mind powers but they ignore that now. I'm not bothered by the magic thing. That I get. What bothers me is it's not the same for others like him.

Definitely. Though I'm concerned with them doing it in a TV show like they are.

• I'd like to see Superman or another character explore kryptonite as a means to gain powers and not simply act as poison

I have no problem with that in regards to other characters. Though too much might be a problem because they already have characters like that and you don't want to diminish their uniqueness.

• I'd really love that they'd stop with all the crystal tech. It's all crystal. Please mix some metal in there. I much more appreaciated John Byrne take on kryptonian tech

I love the crystal tech. Though alternatives are good also.

allend4bbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. I'm not a fan of Superdad or the all knowing always right version.

2. I like the brash reactionary Clark that doesn't hesitate to act and may make a few mistakes by doing so.

3. Lois and Clark has been explored for nearly 75 years, let's move on. I liked SM/WW.

4. I don't like that Superman is being changed again, while the rest of the DCU is staying the same.

5. While I love the first two Superman movies, they are way overrated by today's standards.

6. I think that everyone seems to have a favorite version of Superman (because he has been changed so much) is the biggest problem with Superman today.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman would lose to batman

Superman would beat any anime charecter without reality warping powers

Superman is actually a good charecter

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sacredweapons:

Superman would beat any anime charecter without reality warping powers

I don't know. There are so many characters there has to be some who could do that.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is a jerk

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see Superman build an immunity to Kryptonite.

I like the Clark and Diana relationship

His intellect should be shown more frequently. If anything it will remind writers that he's not some buffoon.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ScouterV

His intellect should be shown more frequently. If anything it will remind writers that he's not some buffoon.

He will. In about a Million years from now, if you see Superman Prime One Million as his true zenith.

And if a writer needs to be reminded that Clark is pretty smart, they shouldn't be writing. He wrote two best-selling novels, for Zods' sake.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is one of the most interesting characters in comics.

Denko069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally agreed.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Superman should beat Batman with ease.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's just good sense. Tell that to to the writers though.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@dernman said:
@the_waffle said:

That's just good sense. Tell that to to the writers though.

haha ikr

MrBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is slower than Thor in combat.

Proved by feats.

Travel speed and combat speed are two different things.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@mrblue said:

Proved by feats.

Also I can PM you all the times Thor has been blitzed in the last 16 years alone by street levellers and superhumans alike. Even the Thor fanboys are starting to come round to the common sense view.

MrBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrBlue

@lvenger said:
@mrblue said:

Proved by feats.

Also I can PM you all the times Thor has been blitzed in the last 16 years alone by street levellers and superhumans alike. Even the Thor fanboys are starting to come round to the common sense view.

Also I can PM you all the times Superman has been ass-kicked by characters with no super-speed whatsoever in the last 5 years.

I could show you Pre-Flashpoint Superman being outsped by Shadowdragon and put the misinterpretated feats of Superman back on track.

It doesn't matter how many times Thor has been blitzed, an honest comparison of Thor and Superman feats shows that one has better combat reflexes and skill than the other even he is wearing a ridiculous Winged Helmet...

Also saying that "doesn't make any sense" to you is an Argument from Incredulity which is nothing much than a logical fallacy, not an argument.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lvenger

@mrblue: I'll continue this in a PM and prove you wrong.

MrBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@mrblue: I'll continue this in a PM and prove you wrong.

You will "prove me wrong" ?

You will contact DC comics so they change their character?

You will contact the writers so they change the scenarios?

You will contact the artists so they write Superman as a fast fighter in combat?

Go ahead.

"Prove me wrong"

That will just be scans that I've overlooked one billion times spamming my inbox. No problem.

Mexicutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mexicutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked the Superman/Wonder Woman pairing (although I think that may not actually be unpopular now though)

He needs to be way more consistent, I know this is true for most comic characters but he's got quite a basic set of powers so he shouldn't fluctuate so much.

No more generic 'Super Clones' in his rogues gallery, he needs some more diverse main villains.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

• Superman is an interesting and relatable character.
  • Superman should act like a boyscout farmboy most of the time.
  • Superman being married to Lois and having a son is cool.
  • Superman isn't too powerful and has tons of weaknesses.
  • Superman should have speed comparable to the Flash but he should not be able to keep up with them.
  • Superman needs more magic enemies.
  • Superman being untrusting of Lex Luthor is fine because it shows how little faith he holds in the character and most of the time, he's right about him.
  • Superman should not be Batman's constant punching bag.
  • Superman and Wonder Woman is a relationship that can work but it has to be written in a way that respects both characters. The New 52 relationship did not do that.
  • There are too many alternate versions of Superman that are evil and Superman gets mind controlled to do evil things way too often.
  • Superman should have more stories outside of Metropolis with some being in space.
  • Superman's weakness to kryptonite should be reworked so that a few seconds near it does not make him completely helpless.
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Superman should have speed comparable to the Flash but he should not be able to keep up with them.
  • There are too many alternate versions of Superman that are evil and Superman gets mind controlled to do evil things way too often.
  • Superman's weakness to kryptonite should be reworked so that a few seconds near it does not make him completely helpless.

Hope you don't mind me piggy backing off some of your points but outside of the three I took out, this is pretty much what I'd say too.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Avatar image for deactivated-57b89658ba257
deactivated-57b89658ba257

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Superman being untrusting of Lex Luthor is fine because it shows how little faith he holds in the character and most of the time, he's right about him.
  • Superman and Wonder Woman is a relationship that can work but it has to be written in a way that respects both characters. The New 52 relationship did not do that.
  • Superman should have more stories outside of Metropolis with some being in space.

It's like you have read my mind (no mean task with all the vodka it's swimming in)

The one thing I'll add; is that I disliked him giving up his American citizenship. I'm a dirty limey myself, but I thought this was an integral part of his background, nurture over nature

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By SaintWildcard

Some weak responses up in here. Let me take a crack at it

1. I think the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship brings more to the table than Lois and Clark.
  2. The Kent's are better off dead
  3. I think Jimmy should have been written as Clark's best friend from the start and should be more involved with Clark than Lois (no homo)
  4. I think Teen Doom could potentially be written to bring as much to the table in the Superman family , compared to people like Supergirl, if not more.
  5. I believe if stuck in between a rock and a hard place, Superman would kill.
  6. All Star isn't even in my top 10 Superman stories.
  7. I align more with John Byrne, in that Clark is the dominant personality.
  8. Dorky CLark Kent.... get outta here!
  9. I think things like Super Intelligence and Sun Dipping should be written with caveats.
  10. The T-Shirt era, was his coolest look. Also, the New 52 armor was also bitching.
  11. I think most writers think that being a Farmboy is just being nice and humble.
  12. I feel like Kryptonians aren't written alien enough at times. I respected Byrne for making the Kryptonian race so arrogant, to the point that Mama El turned away at the sight of her own son.
  13. I actually enjoy Injustice, as an elseworld
Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrblue said:

Proved by feats.

No Caption Provided

MrBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: I thought he learned from Zatanna on how to counter certain magic and uses Torquasm Rao to protect his mind from mental assaults?

batarang614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By batarang614

i enjoyed man of steel. id like it if the kryptonians and humans were somehow related evolutionary to explain their similarities, and the fact that they can breed

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kryptonian24

What I hate...

1. The belief that Superman should always be right and triumphant

2. The belief that Superman is a boy scout

3. The belief that Superman should ALWAYS be upstanding

4. The belief that he should be confined on Earth

5. The belief that he has an unimpressive intellect

6. The belief that Superman is just a brawler

7. The belief that Batman adds an interesting element to his stories

8. The belief that he should ONLY be with Lois Lane or Wonder Woman

9. The belief in there being interest in his being a Husband and a Dad

10. The belief that his weaknesses are appealing and well-written

What I'd like...

1. I'd rather see him frequently (though not TOO frequently mind you) make mistakes in judgement and occasionally be outfought, outsmarted, and outran.

2. I hate that terminology because people don't even know how people define such a thing. A boy scout is defined these days as someone who follows orders and thinks they're doing the right thing. That's not Superman. Superman's a do-gooder.

3. I'd like for him to lose his temper every now and then and get aggressive with some people. He's not someone you can walk all over just because he's a forgiving nice guy.

4. He's not a hero just for one planet. He's a hero for all of existence and should be treated as much. That said, I agree with many that he should often venture outside of Earth to prove his kindness on an immeasurable scale; but I want the Earth/Human element to still be existent if it is going to take place primarily in space.

5. Superman isn't just the most powerful man I can imagine, he's also possibly the most intelligent, but like many have pointed out, writers seem to be too afraid to show his intellect at times. I want him in a position where his powers are nearly useless and he has to save the world using mostly his wits, cunning, and natural knowledge. And that's just as Supes. As Kent, I want to see him chase down a conspiracy that leads him to an ancient cult and/or terrorist group that Superman can never truly beat. I want him to use his skills to find and expose these guys. Think of the possibilities that could come from creating stories where his power is next to useless. Superman skeptics might just change their tune about him.

6. This is actually true in many versions, but the way I see it, he should start his career off as a formidable brawler, taking down powerful metahuman opponents and magical creatures. But when fighting against tough metahuman, magical, or alien opponents with fighting skill, he should get himself educated in the fighting arts. However, I don't want him learning from Wildcat, Mongul II, Wonder Woman, or Batman. I want him to learn Kryptonian Martial Arts. Have those taught to him by the knowledge possessed in the fortress. It'd be a great way to show his independence on a physical level.

7. From being bested by him or coming to him for tech or natural intelligence, I really don't understand the need for him in his stories. First of all, Superman needs to mop the floor with Batman if the intention is to get physical. Second, like I said at number 5, Supes has an impressive intellect. He can build his own tech and create his own concoction. If Superman is to entrust knowledge to a fellow genius, why can't it be John Henry Irons? An ACTUAL Superman supporting character and superhero. I'm tired of Batman playing major parts in his stories.

8. He's had other love interests and quite frankly, at this point, I want to see more of the OTHERS. There are plenty of tales that end with Supes and Lois being together and The New 52 made it abundantly clear that Superman's true love was Wonder Woman. I'd like something really fresh and the only times that happened were in "Red Son" where he wasn't really involved with anyone (though WW did crush on him and was childhood couples with Lana Lazarenko) and in "Earth One" where he was not with Lois Lane, but Lisa Lasalle. I'd like to see Superman with some love interests who are faced with being viewed differently from the outside world due to having different, but rich heritage...just like him. I'd like to see Clark with a woman whose Asian, Indi, or my personal favorite, Native American.

9. I can stand that in an elseworld, but not the main continuity. There's something about the main characters being family men that I just don't like in a narrative sense. I'd like to see his arc, for that time period, end with him getting married with a flash-forward to his married/family life in the future, but I don't want to see an entire story/series built around them.

10. I wrote a post a while back concerning Supes not having very many magical enemies, which is something that needs to change. His magical enemies can challenge him not just physically, but also mentally, intellectually, and spiritually. So many compelling tales can come from this. Kryptonite should be portrayed as capable of hurting and killing him, but I hate the idea of him being in its vicinity and dropping on the ground from the radiation alone. I don’t think Kryptonite should be portrayed as weakening him, just hurting and killing him. Red Sun Radiation should weaken him, but not hurt him, though. Still, I want to see magic more than anything else. So much untapped potential in that weakness alone.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kiba

Okay I got one.

Blue boots > red boots.

Yeah I said it.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unpopular Opinions?

I prefer an "Overpowered" Superman much more than a Superman that nearly dies every time someone drops a nuke.

speckoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrblue said:

Proved by feats.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Family

• Super Boy Prime should be brought back
  • They need a black lantern version of Superman ... they've killed so many, there must be some penance
  • "Screw You" DC for killing Ultraman and the C.S.
  • Bring Back Pre-52 Eradicator
  • Bring Back Pre-52 Cyborg Superman
  • Keep New 52 Superboy but Bring Back Pre-52 Conner too

Other

• Superman should learn how to fight ... like Batman!
  • The Trunks should be retconned out of existence!
  • Superman should Punch Lex in the head .. not the fracking armored Suit
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drgnx: "Screw You" DC for killing Ultraman and the C.S.

C.S. ?

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• The red drunks should be forgotten and the armor should stay, just because he is durable doesnt mean an armor would be useful. Though it should have other features beside protection against physical attacks.
  • DC should take a long break from plot device rock, I swear no matter how much times they remind us it exist in limited amounts they never run out of it for long.
  • Superman needs a better class of new villains. The N52 attempt at this sucked because He'l, Wraith and whoever the others were trash.
  • The goofy act he put on as Clark Kent is unnecessary.
  • Doomsday is more of a gloried plot device than a villain and should be retired.
  • He doesnt use his powers effectively in fights or to end fights enough. Sure ending a fight right out the gates might be boring but someone like Clark who knows how bad a situation can get in a short space of time shouldn't entertain villains with their B.S.
  • Lois Lane is not an interesting character to read about, although I kind of like her as a mother.
  • I like the fact that the Super-family isn't as big as the Bat-family and Clark doesnt put in much effort into connecting with them.
  • I call B.S on Clark Kent being able to maintain a job as a reporter, Perry should fire his ass for being absent.
  • Superman shouldn't have a "No Kill Code".
  • Superman should be more of a symbol for Earth than America.
  • Even though he should be founding member of the Justice League it would be better if he act as a part time talent, as he gets underutilized be the League and realistically they would prevent him from doing his own thing.
  • Lord Superman/Injustice Superman>>>Ultra-man.
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah Superman being a symbol for Earth rather than America is another technically unpopular opinion I would have about the character I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@drgnx: "Screw You" DC for killing Ultraman and the C.S.

C.S. ?

Crime Syndicate

Also

Armor

Why wear armor that is vulnerable to what you're already vulnerable to? Get Magic warding and Kryptonite nullification coating or something.

Denko069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Superman/Wonder Woman relationship is better than Superman/Lois Lane

2) I like the New 52 Superman better than the Pre 52

3) He's one of the most intelligent beings on the planet

4) He should learn every available martial art there is

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is where you want Viners to share unpopular ideas and thoughts, and hope for no trolling comes along... Okay I'll bite.

Here goes:

• I hate the solar battery explanation for kryptonian powers (I like and dislike it)
  • Kryptonians even on Krypton should be portrait as being superhuman in feats
  • I think Clark and Lois as a couple are more than worn out
  • I definitely have no love or interest for Rebirth Superman

This is it I guess.

I agree with all, except Strike-through .

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrblue said:

Proved by feats.

No Caption Provided

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kenshima15

Lmao, this Gif replies to that silly claim of Thor being faster than Superman in reaction are bloody hilarious.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Proved by feats.

No Caption Provided

Lmao, this Gif replies to that silly claim of Thor being faster than Superman in reaction are bloody hilarious.

Haha ditto, i burst out laughing :D

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kenshima15: It kills me because they say "Travel speed and combat speed are 2 different things." While this only makes sense with certain context, it doesn't help Thor's case. He is fast when traveling because Mjolnir is fast when thrown. He isn't fast in combat. Superman is fast either way.

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• I think superman isn't overpowered and the fact he doesn't just defeat his enemies in seconds make sense to me
  • Batman shouldn't ever fight superman and should almost never win
  • Superman's weakness to magic makes no sense and needs further explanation
  • Superman is one of the best characters ever made and I think he's interesting and more complex that what meets the eye
  • Superman gets mind controlled way too often
  • Superman is one of the smartest characters ever
Avatar image for dragonhunter1414
DragonHunter1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Red Sun Weakness.

Keep FTL.

Give em Higher Striking Power. Both Feats For Heat Vision and planet busting.

@mrblue said:

Proved by feats.

lol. What the flowers. Hell no.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the movies there's never enough character development.

Hypester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By Hypester

Superman shouldn't be about Superman.

Superman, because of his immutability and transcendence is more or less part of the setting. The story should center on the development of another character. Usually Lois Lane, but success has also been achieved with everyone from Jimmy Olsen to Father Leone, Norman McCay and others. Someone else should be narrating his life on a regular basis. Superman doesn't work solo the same way Dr. Who doesn't work solo. He's most interesting when he doesn't think like a normal person, which makes him a poor choice for the audience surrogate.