Avatar image for jimishim12
#1 Posted by Jimishim12 (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously they are useless and completely redundant, the title character is so ridiculously unbelievable and powerful next to them the cast may as well be pets to him, and as non powered side characters serve nothing to him on a measurable level in anything even in competence and charisma. At least Batman's cast(non trained side character) is relatively equal to him as far as sharing a basis of actually being human and being capable of doing the stuff he can due to a having comparable expectations a street level hero takes you. People like Jimmy, Lois, Amanda Waller etc are very out of place in superman's constant fantasy narrative, they only serve as people Superman rescue as a simple concept when you need Superman to simplfy his character and give the character a home and life to live even though he owns a alien like hq in the artic. Nothing more than decorations to glorify a god as a human caretaker basically.

You think in a comic called Action, Superman's cast would be as equally active and impressive as Superman since he seems to be the only one who in his books can doing anything for himself as far as putting up a fight against beings who can kill cities and worlds, not even the ones who are street level such as toyman and parasite have any of his cast that can prove they don't need Superman to fight them. Also throw in Kara and Conner to, they have nobody in their titles that can keep up with them or keep up with their enemies.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
#2 Edited by linsanel_Doctor (8630 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for diehard200904
#3 Edited by DieHard200904 (592 posts) - - Show Bio

@jimishim12 said:

Seriously they are useless and completely redundant, the title character is so ridiculously unbelievable and powerful next to them the cast may as well be pets to him, and as non powered side characters serve nothing to him on a measurable level in anything even in competence and charisma. At least Batman's cast(non trained side character) is relatively equal to him as far as sharing a basis of actually being human and being capable of doing the stuff he can due to a having comparable expectations a street level hero takes you. People like Jimmy, Lois, Amanda Waller etc are very out of place in superman's constant fantasy narrative, they only serve as people Superman rescue as a simple concept when you need Superman to simplfy his character and give the character a home and life to live even though he owns a alien like hq in the artic. Nothing more than decorations to glorify a god as a human caretaker basically.

You think in a comic called Action, Superman's cast would be as equally active and impressive as Superman since he seems to be the only one who in his books can doing anything for himself as far as putting up a fight against beings who can kill cities and worlds, not even the ones who are street level such as toyman and parasite have any of his cast that can prove they don't need Superman to fight them. Also throw in Kara and Conner to, they have nobody in their titles that can keep up with them or keep up with their enemies.

Well, I am pretty sure Supergirl and Superboy are coming back to their own titles. So we're all good. Plus, people getting rescued or getting themselves into deep crap so that they need a superhero just to be alive is the status quo of Superman. Maybe change it, but again, Supergirl and Superboy I am pretty sure are coming back. Plus, why are you so hating on Krypto, he is the best dog you could ever have.

If you really don't like Superman, you can just grow out of him. That sure is an option.

Avatar image for risingbean
#4 Posted by RisingBean (9797 posts) - - Show Bio

Threads like this almost makes me with the internet didn't exist.

Avatar image for papinacho
#5 Posted by PapiNacho (3396 posts) - - Show Bio

Only when writers write SuperGod instead of Superman. Check out the Animated series to see how to do it right.

Avatar image for darthdeadpool
#6 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

Spot on. Basically everything about superman sucks

Avatar image for Pokeysteve
#7 Edited by Pokeysteve (12017 posts) - - Show Bio

Another one that has no understanding of the character they're bitching about.

Avatar image for reactor
#8 Posted by Reactor (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

I literally have no idea what you are ranting about

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#9 Edited by Ready_4_Madness (15447 posts) - - Show Bio

2/10

If you don't have these characters in Superman's life, then you lose elements that make him more human. Which is crucial because his story is a god trying to live among Men and Women.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
#10 Posted by suemorphplus209 (365 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness: Kind of like Ma and Pa Kent, give him different adoptive parents, and you get the wierd AU Supermen like Red Son, the Nazi Superman, Flashpoint Paradox lab rat, etc.

Avatar image for z3ro180
#11 Posted by z3ro180 (8778 posts) - - Show Bio

Blah blah blah blah

Avatar image for scouterv
#12 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio
Get out.
Get out.

Avatar image for dernman
#13 Posted by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

SMH

Avatar image for w0nd
#14 Posted by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio

One could almost say this thread was redundant, because you know... there haven't been nearly enough in the past....

Avatar image for sc
#15 Posted by SC (18116 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a big Superman fan, but I think this thread misses out on a lot of important context that adds allure and significance to Superman by way of his supporting cast. Contrary to some ideas, Superman isn't literally omnipotent or omniscient, he does have very extraordinary and rare powers and abilities compared to every day humans, but he also faces many of the same problems we all do. Our identity and self perception, our agency, our ethics and morals, forming meaningful connections to others, to help give meaning and perspective to life. Trying to do the right thing, and being aware of the line between selfish action and selfless action. Trying to balance our actions as far as the consequences on others. In order to better understand and illustrate Superman's mental, emotional, intellectual and moral conflicts, you need a range of different characters, not with competing powers, but competing world views. This is where his supporting cast can play a significant role. Take Lex Luthor? Usually not a direct physical challenge for Superman (generally) more of an ideological opponent, one who doesn't try to distort Superman physically, but distort the publics view of Superman, to erode that trust and challenge him that way and other ways.

I mean for many people the super part with Superman is how good, noble, and honorable he is, morally, his humility, his willingness to sacrifice, those aspects, the super abilities just lets him do such things on a bigger and grander scale than other everyday heroes.

That being said the Justice League also exists, and so serves as an arena where Superman has peers more similar to him in powers, and he also has antagonists who are just more raw strength and power that challenges him in that sense as well. so there are outlets for individuals that feel similar to OP. Just that other fans feel very differently, case in point the, some of the replies in this thread.

Moderator
Avatar image for silent_bomber
#16 Edited by silent_bomber (4931 posts) - - Show Bio

Yah unfortunately all my friends and family are redundant too, them weaklings never once saved the planet!

Shirkers

Avatar image for diehard200904
#17 Posted by DieHard200904 (592 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: His supporting cast also historically provides an element of comedy, which is good as well.

Avatar image for sc
#18 Posted by SC (18116 posts) - - Show Bio

@diehard200904 said:

@sc: His supporting cast also historically provides an element of comedy, which is good as well.

I agree, great point to raise, especially because many of his human cast can better reflect many of reality's and society's idiosyncrasies and quirks which then can be played back and forth with their interactions with Superman/Clark. They can also let us see a more vulnerable aspect of Superman, so depth in other ways too, his attachments and so on.

Moderator
Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
#19 Posted by HeavenlyDarkDragon (2219 posts) - - Show Bio

@jimishim12:

I really don't get the point of this thread. Are you telling us you don't like Superman comics in general? If so, you could've saved a lot of time writing all of that.

Look. Superman is supposed to be the pinnacle of power. And one of Earth's most powerful beings. If everyone he met were equal or close in power to him, then the world wouldn't be so dependent on Superman. Because everytime the sh** really hits the fan, most of the times it falls on him to save the day.

Perry, Lois and Jimmy, are his connection to humanity. They aren't irreplaceable, but they do have their uses, even if only to say the right words at the right time.

As for Amanda Waller, don't know where you're getting at. Seeing she and Supes rarely work together, and in most versions if anything they either can't stand each other, don't trust each other, or are simply enemies. So putting her together with Jimmy and the rest of Supes supporting cast is a huge fail.

As for Kara and Kon. One of DC biggest mistakes was to place those two so far away from Superman. They should be normal presences in Superman comics. Because only together we can see them balance each other out.

And it isn't like Superman lacks enemies and allies close or superior in power when compared to him.

What he needs is a normal supporting cast of characters that can be good, in areas Supes is not so good at. Like magic, psychic, extradimensions, other alien species or simply supernatural characters.

Avatar image for diehard200904
#20 Posted by DieHard200904 (592 posts) - - Show Bio
@sc said:

@diehard200904 said:

@sc: His supporting cast also historically provides an element of comedy, which is good as well.

I agree, great point to raise, especially because many of his human cast can better reflect many of reality's and society's idiosyncrasies and quirks which then can be played back and forth with their interactions with Superman/Clark. They can also let us see a more vulnerable aspect of Superman, so depth in other ways too, his attachments and so on.

Well, it works something like this. Having a superhero in general always be dark kind of ruins the escapism to me. Having characters and their comic relief gives it that feeling that I can at least not think, for a brief time, while I read, about the real life crap that I have to deal with. I can actually laugh at the rediculous parts when they show up. Of course his supporting cast are goofy at times, but that's a good thing in the fictional context of the character getting some laughs and relief with the busy, stressful, life that he has, and it's good for me to get a laugh and a break. Of course some people will probably disagree with some portrayals of the characters in his supporting cast, but the campy aspects are what make some things interesting, to me anyways.

Avatar image for dernman
#21 Posted by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure the OP knows what redundant means. His cast provides roles and function that Superman can't fill. They are there as much for Clark as Superman.
Take them away just because they don't have powers is ridiculous you might as well just take Clark away from Superman. You take Clark away from Superman you're not getting the full character.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#22 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously they are useless and completely redundant, the title character is so ridiculously unbelievable and powerful next to them the cast may as well be pets to him, and as non powered side characters serve nothing to him on a measurable level in anything even in competence and charisma

This is completely irrelevant, not only in regards to Superman and his cast but any other hero and his/her cast. No side character needs to be the equal of the hero to matter. You're extremely confused on what is or isn't redundant. A series where what you're talking about happens, where all of the side characters are equal to the hero (In this case as stronga and fast as Superman) is redundant. The point of other characters isn't to have them match the hero/protagonist, but to have them serve different roles and functions in the character's life, which in turn flesh out the world that he/she is operating in.