Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
#51 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@sanohibiki: Yeah, I had a feeling that idea was a bit heavy. Things I put in parenthesis are ideas I still have to think over and are iffy on. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. :D

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#52 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@mad_titan: It could still be done, I remember when I was a kid they made a really cool Hulk game that didn't hold back and let Hulk be Hulk, and that's what made the game so good.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
#53 Edited by BappyRonChantin (2772 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainmarvel4ever: Well, Hulk doesn't have superspeed. I don't deny it can be done, imagination and creativity do wonderful things, it just won't be easy without having fans/fanboys complaining/whining.

#54 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercinwithamouth: You know, this is a really really good article, you should start tweeting it at game developers, people like Geoff Johns (who work with game developers), and gaming journalism sites, really start spreading the word about this. An article like this is too good for a bunch of nerds like us.

#55 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@mad_titan: IDK, Hulk is very very fast, and the game captured that too.

Well that's something to expect with comic fans, no matter what people will complain.

#56 Edited by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainmarvel4ever: Thanks! I really appreciate that! You made my night! I'll look into your advice. I spent a bit of time thinking about this and have more ideas to consider as well. :P

#57 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercinwithamouth: Cool, like I said though, get this out there, because developers pay attention to stuff like this if it's well made, and this has a lot of effort put into it, so you never know. Like I said, something like this is too good to just sit around and have you're fellow nerds gawk at it and say it's cool (which it is).

#58 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@mad_titan: IDK, Hulk is very very fast, and the game captured that too.

Well that's something to expect with comic fans, no matter what people will complain.

Not as fast as a man who can fly at supersonic speeds and perceive the world in slow motion. Fitting the super speed mechanic into flight was hard enough for Superman Returns. Doing it for Superman's combat style would be even harder IMO.

#59 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: I personally feel it makes sense to have him appear to be something like Man of Steel Superman since he's always holding back, but in the game you could have him do something impressive that displays some of his true power, while also possibly having consequence. I do understand what you mean though, people will complain when they can't have infeasible gameplay like destroying a planet with your punches or flying MFTL to Krypton's remains and whatnot.

#60 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercinwithamouth: Whilst I'm not a fan of MOS, I can credit it for giving a balanced impression of Superman's power levels. On the one hand, you have those that want Superman to show off his true power in the same way as Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction or Asura's Wrath let you do crazy stuff with your powers. On the other hand, you have to consider how you can create game mechanics and a sense of challenge for players with one of the most powerful fictional beings in comics.

Don't get me wrong, your ideas are certainly solid. A rich story, diverse gameplay, great immersion into the world and characters, acting and playing like Superman should be portrayed facing all manner of deadly foes and more. And I'm all for a powerful Superman in most media, especially comics since that's how it can best be done. Video games on the other hand are a hurdle that is a tough one to do for a character like Superman.

#61 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to attempt to get this around and expand/refine it.

#63 Posted by SOG7dc (11368 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercinwithamouth: I think itd work if the game started you off with early Gant Morrison Action Comics levels of power and you grew to MOS levels.

#64 Posted by Duzz (399 posts) - - Show Bio

I would go with a God of War Platformer.

#65 Edited by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Yeah, I've considered that. I thought of maybe having that while becoming progressively more powerful throughout the game. But I'd prefer something already established, especially if it's going to be tied to the Arkhamverse. I would love to have something Morrison-esque as a tutorial based flashback though.

#66 Posted by transcendence (3824 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman: Shadow of Apokolips was a good game...

#67 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@transcendence: Though I don't recall too much about it I do remember enjoying SoA when I was younger.

#68 Posted by transcendence (3824 posts) - - Show Bio

@transcendence: Though I don't recall too much about it I do remember enjoying SoA when I was younger.

Me too, but I don't think I ever completed the game.

#69 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@transcendence: Me either! The farthest I can remember getting is either the dam or Livewire.

#70 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#71 Posted by averywetfrog (561 posts) - - Show Bio

all is irrelevant if they cant get the gameplay right. games can have terrible writing, voice acting, and graphics, but they have to have good gameplay.

i have yet to have seen a single game with good flight controls. that is character flight controls not vehicle flight controls. this would be the biggest problem.

#72 Edited by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@averywetfrog: Have you ever played Superman Returns? It's flight controls weren't too bad. They weren't great, but I feel it could be expanded and refined to be pretty awesome. One of those things you have to focus on.

#73 Posted by averywetfrog (561 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercinwithamouth: yeah, its basically the standard character flight controls. imo it is not very good, specifically poor for fighting. i have no doubt that a good game developer could get it right, but i havent seen it yet

#74 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@averywetfrog: Yeah, the fighting was awful when using flight. Need a developer with passion for the character. Rocksteady loves Batman and I feel that's why they make such good games.

#75 Posted by Duzz (399 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman need to be a Dynasty Warrior type of game. Let them come and he'll smashed them all.

#76 Posted by MetalJimmor (6412 posts) - - Show Bio

An idea I've posted around here before that seems to be well liked is linking Superman's abilities to the difficulty slider so that on easier difficulties Superman won't be holding back as much, where as on harder difficulties Superman is holding back a great deal.

On the easiest difficulties Superman wouldn't be holding back much at all, meaning he'd be hitting much, much harder and thus dishing out way more damage, making the content easier. On the flip side though, Superman would cause a lot more collateral damage with his blows and risk wrecking the city by knocking bad guys through buildings and such. The more collateral damage you do the less the city will love you, and the more political sway Lex Luthor has over Metropolis. So playing on the easiest difficulty through the game will rack up a lot of damage, and you'll get an ending where Luthor uses his anti-Superman campaign to run for President of the United States of America. Sure, you saved the day. But because you couldn't control yourself your greatest enemy is the one who truly won.

On the hardest difficulty Superman would be holding back to the best of his ability. His blows wouldn't do as much damage, nor would they cause enemies to go flying as far or create shockwaves that wreck up the ground and knock people over. Every fight would be much harder as you'd have to dance around your opponent and avoid getting hit as much as possible as you slowly beat the enemy into submission. However as you're not destroying as much of Metrolpolis this way the people would come to love and respect Superman while Luthor slowly loses favor. If you beat the game having consistently played on the hardest difficulty the game will end with Luthor losing all support and finally being arrested for his crimes, and the people of Metropolis erecting a great statue in Superman's honor.

#77 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor: I believe I remember seeing something about that before.

#81 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking for more feedback.

#82 Posted by wbr17 (3516 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read the plot and think it's confuse. I don't like it.

#83 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wbr17: I said at the start that story/plot isn't my forte so it's just a placeholder. I feel everything else is pretty solid though.

#84 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

Thoughts?

Avatar image for technobacon2014
#85 Posted by TechnoBacon2014 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone suggested this idea for a Superman game to me on Reddit.

You're controlling Jor El, first mission is to send your son away. You turn up in Kansas, then you grow up with Clark and you'll learn his abilities as it goes on. Obviously what and how he will discover new abilities is up to story and gameplay. The hardest thing is to have Supermans powers and feel threatened. If you start off as kid Clark you'll have hours before you can even be fully Superman

#86 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@technobacon2014: Yeah, I've had an idea of something like that before. I feel it's not a bad idea but I might prefer something already established like Arkham Asylum was.

#87 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#88 Posted by nightwing817 (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Woah this is incredible. Probably would take years to develop but could be the best game ever made.

#89 Edited by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwing817: My goodness! Thank you so much! I appreciate the feedback. After seeing the Just Cause 3 gameplay trailer, I think Avalanche could do it.

#90 Posted by NeonGameWave (19333 posts) - - Show Bio

Pure awesome!!!

#91 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@neongamewave: Thank you so much! I'll take all the feedback I can get! :P

#92 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

Avatar image for jesusthesefanboys
#93 Posted by Jesusthesefanboys (1049 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercinwithamouth: I like it, i feel if they can nail a superman game with the correct formula and gameplay, it would open up many opportunities for other heroes such as Thor, Green lanterns. etc.

#94 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@jesusthesefanboys: Thanks a lot! I also agree, it could help out other heroes in need of a good game.

#95 Posted by Uk2897 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

Man go to some VG development company with this.. I really hope we see such a thing in the near future :D Great ideas bro :D

#96 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@uk2897: Thanks man! I would totally take this and any other ideas I have to a company I could trust with them if I had the connections. I appreciate the comment and hope we see something akin to this soon as well!

#97 Posted by Uk2897 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

And when you do I hope u get a credit for making a game which was said to be impossible

#98 Posted by MercinWithAMouth (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@uk2897: Haha, I'd love that but I would honestly let a company take the ideas as long as I trusted they'd make a great game out of it. I could die happy. :P

#99 Posted by SaintWildcard (21784 posts) - - Show Bio

A Superman game might actually get me to be a bigger gamer. I haven't played 7/10 of the games that I own.

#100 Posted by SaintWildcard (21784 posts) - - Show Bio

A game can be done. bit harder to do a franchise though