MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

Introduction

Hey there! I'm a huge Superman fan and I've longed for a great game starring him. I thought I'd share my ideas on the subject! I'd love to know what you all think, but before we start:

• Story is somewhat of a placeholder.
  • Please forgive me for the length, size of the pictures, and any obnoxious repetition.
  • This is a rough draft, and I still need to elaborate certain aspects of the game.

Story Synopsis

Brainiac has bottled Metropolis and plans to destroy Earth! Drained from your fight with Doomsday, you need to regain your strength. As the Man of Steel, you must stop Brainiac and the other super-villains, restore your beloved city, and save the day!

(Brainiac sends Doomsday to kill Superman. Him and other super-villains believe you to be dead after your encounter with Doomsday. The latter are taking advantage of this time to run rampant through the city, with goals of their own.)

The game will take place within the span of a day.

No Caption Provided

VoiceActor

George Newbern hands down. His voice is iconic to Superman, nearly in the same sense that Kevin Conroy's is to Batman. He is also capable of showing more than enough emotion for what I would like to see in a Superman game.

Example:

Developer

I believe either WB Games Montreal, Avalanche, or Rocksteady should make the game. I trust WB Games Montreal with it due to their past with Batman, making what I feel is the best installment in the series when it comes to Batman as a character. The other games didn't delve into him as well, and I think that's a very important element. I believe they excelled above the other Arkham games when it came to story, fan-service, boss fights, and Batman overall. Arkham Origins had other features I think were sorely missed in the other Arkham games. Then we have the fact that they're a much larger studio than Rocksteady, meaning they have the power to make it happen in a lesser amount of time. But, I also feel Avalanche could do it thanks to their experience with the Just Cause games. They build enormous open worlds accompanied by gameplay that is fun, over-the-top, and destructive. I feel their games quality isn't on par with something like Origins or Arkham Knight. But, it stands to reason that they could polish a Superman game a lot more if they worked less on making an unnecessarily large open world and more on content/polish. As for Rocksteady, I think they have the strongest chance of doing this character justice. I say this because they had a great trilogy based on a DC character who had a poor gaming record prior to them making the Arkham series. They did him justice 3 times in a row, each one more impressive than the last. I think WBGM handled Arkham Origins very well, but they were essentially handed a template from these guys. Their games essentially have a very, very well-rounded amount of quality. Plus, I doubt anybody is as good as them when it comes to cape physics! But honestly, at the end of the day it comes down to passion for the character. Rocksteady and WB Games Montreal love Batman and DC Superheroes, which I feel is one of the reasons their games are so great. If a developer's love for the character drives their hard work and effort towards the game, it'll show in the final product.

Example:

This is Avalanche's work in action. My favorite part of this whole trailer is definitely the beginning. I love the environment. I can just picture Superman's cape raving around while soaring through beautiful, sun drenched clouds.

This is WB Games Montreal. This is different than anything you see emotionally in the other Arkham games.

If there is one word I'd use to describe Rocksteady's work? It'd be quality. On every level.

Appearance

In Arkham Asylum, Batman had his own look given to him that is original to that game, while also being inspired and looking like Batman should. When I think of how Superman should look in this game, I lean towards something like this picture below. I'm mostly talking about his face, hair, and the perfect size of the "S" symbol. The suit of course would be something original, but inspired.

No Caption Provided

Something I feel is a necessity when it comes to Superman though, is the open collar. It just gives off that "Superman" feel a lot more. For the sake of comparison I had the picture above photoshopped.

No Caption Provided

Gameplay

The gameplay will be centered on feeling like you are Superman. As a powerful force of good, you will use your abilities to save lives and go toe to toe with other gifted foes in epic combat, such as Livewire, Metallo, Parasite, and more.

Superman Returns actually had some great concepts, but didn't execute them very well. I'll occasionally reference this game throughout this post to make comparisons.

"Overpowered"

Many people think it isn't possible to make a Superman game because they feel he is invincible or overpowered. This is false, as Superman has a number of villains in his rogues' gallery that can harm him. Kryptonite, Magic, powerful tech and immense physical force are all capable of posing a challenge to a Kryptonian. Superman is almost always holding back so he doesn't hurt anyone, which gives reason as to why you wouldn't be able to do anything too over-the-top in the game unless it calls for him to use such power. These moments could serve as examples of Superman's willpower pushing him beyond his limits, the kind of powerful moments that give us goosebumps. I'll have a video example below. Even if this was a problem, a developer could make him something akin to "Man of Steel" or "The Animated Series" Superman, still powerful but not ridiculous.

Health

I think Superman should have a health bar. My argument for this is essentially an extension of the misconception that he's invulnerable. He is extremely durable, but Superman is capable of being hurt by a number of things, whether it's extreme physical force, powerful tech, very potent energy based attacks, Kryptonite, or magic, red solar radiation, etc. Having a health bar won't detract from the feeling of being Superman because it's about whathurts him. The context of being "weakened" (nerfed/due to story events/holding back) in this game further adds to this.

Upgrades in the game could include health increases/damage reductions as well as damage increases/additional perks to your powers (this would go in-hand with you gaining your strength back).

"Zero" to Hero

After much thought, I've decided to make this feature something that's unlocked after the game is beaten, while also being a usable feature in New Game +, and unlocking a Clark Kent skin. This is a Superman game, and while the Clark Kent "persona" is a very important part of the character, I feel it would detract from the Superman experience if you're able to switch on the fly. I do believe there should be an important segment that is played using this alter-ego, somewhat like Arkham City did with Bruce Wayne. Having the feature teased after the segment is over, by switching to Superman. Possibly something that happens at the beginning of the game.

Something Superman is famous for is switching from Clark Kent to Superman in a phone booth. I feel this can be a very powerful feature in the game, going from Clark Kent to Superman at will. After the feature is unlocked, his transformation could be done at almost anytime via super speed. When becoming Superman, an animation could occur where Clark pulls his shirt apart to reveal the S symbol, then spinning into a blur that quickly changes outfits. It'd be a cool reference to give players the option to switch in a phone booth too.

Classic.
Classic.

Upgrades

With help from Dr. Hamilton, you will restore your powers to their former glory throughout the earlier parts of the game. Your abilities will become more potent as you progress (doing more damage, capable of taking more damage) and you'll unlock skills tied to those powers (Super Breath on the ground to cause an aoe knockback is one possible example. Or using Heat Vision on a Flight Combat opponent. See Flight Combat).

I feel you shouldn't have any of your powers taken away, but rather giving the player potency/skill upgrades to them as they progress throughout the story. These could include skills, damage increases, health upgrades, damage reduction, speed increases, etc.

Combat

Physical combat will consist of a block/attack style. You can block or dodge incoming attacks and then counter with what you feel necessary to get the job done. Essentially a powerful boxing/brawler feel that he's shown in the comics.

Dodge and Counter - A great mechanic I thought worked well in Superman Returns (though it could have been more polished, like the game in general) is dodging an opponent's attack before countering. Much like Superman Returns, a blocking mechanic could work as well. The GIF demonstrates dodge and counter perfectly, while also showing some opponents could get through a block.

Factor 5 Cancelled Superman Title
Factor 5 Cancelled Superman Title

Ground Takedowns - This is useful against enemies who are knocked down. Superman will deliver a formidable blow that will KO or destroy the opponent. Animations could vary greatly, incorporating his powers and depend on the type of enemy you're fighting. For example, Superman knocks down a Brainiac drone before flying up quickly and stomping on it, destroying it. Another would could be him putting his foot on it's chest and destroying it's head with Heat Vision. He could knock out an Intergang member in a power suit by grabbing them on the shoulder and delivering a blow powerful enough to send a small shockwave outward, causing his cape to shoot into the air. I could go on and on!

No Caption Provided

Powers and Skills

Powers

Here is a summary to help understand some of the gameplay. Below, I will give more detailed explanations for how super moves, powers, and amped powers will work. But essentially, Superman "runs" on Solar Power. This has been turned into a meter that can be used on extremely powerful uses of Heat Vision, Freeze Breath, and Super Breath referred to as Amped Powers. Regular Heat Vision, Freeze Breath, and Super Breath will drain the solar power meter at a steady rate, varying with each power. Super Moves don't use the Solar Power resource. Instead, they use a hit counter that when "charged" rewards you with the ability to use a Super Move. Think of the Arkham series, but instead replace takedowns with Super Moves.

Solar Power

This will come in the form of a meter that you can expend decent fractions of in order to use your Amped Powers (See Below). It will slowly deplete when using powers that draw from this resource and regenerate by itself over time. It will fill even faster depending on your altitude.

Here is a summary to help understand some of the gameplay. Below, I will give more detailed explanations for how super moves, powers, and amped powers will work. But essentially, Superman "runs" on Solar Power. This has been turned into a meter that can be used on extremely powerful uses of Heat Vision, Freeze Breath, and Super Breath. Regular Heat Vision, Freeze Breath, and Super Breath will drain the solar power meter at a steady rate, varying with each power. Super Moves don't use this resource. Instead, they use a hit counter that when "charged" rewards you with the ability to use a Super Move. Think of the Arkham series, but instead replace takedowns with Super Moves.

Super Moves

Superman can perform a Super Move when your hit counter becomes charged, which can be used on the following.

• Liftoff - Everything slows down around you before Superman speeds towards his target and delivers a powerful uppercut, dealing tons of damage and knocking them skyward.

No Caption Provided
  • Super Slam - Everything around you slows down before Superman launches into the air and slams back down, causing AoE damage and knocking enemies into the air.

No Caption Provided
  • Thunderclap - Superman crashes his hands together, leading to a massive shock wave that deals AoE damage and knocks down enemies.
No Caption Provided

Super Strength

This power will allow you to punch enemies into buildings, beat them into the ground, and knock them senseless. You can utilize your surroundings by picking up objects, whether it's a car being thrown or hitting them with a light pole. When holding an enemy while floating or on the ground, you can use Charged Punches that will create large shock waves and send that foe sailing through the air. Your opponent colliding with objects deals damage. This is useful for leaving them open to Flight Combat (See below). When your hit counter is charged, normal punches will deal more damage and make small shock waves.

Charged Punches - When grabbed, you can hold down the attack button to ramp up a powerful swing. These are useful for getting an enemy away from you, or into the air for Flight Combat. Everything will slow down so you can aim where to punch your opponent.

A small taste of what could be.
A small taste of what could be.

Super Jump

Super Strength will play into the ability to jump long distances. Jumps aren't charged. As soon as you hit the jump button, you'll leap. But the longer you hold it after jumping, the farther you'll go (ala Prototype 2). This comes in handy earlier in the story when you can't fly right away.

No Caption Provided

Flight

This seemed to be the best thing about Superman Returns, as it's what made us feel most like Superman. The feeling of traversing through the air at speeds exceeding 800 mph is a rush, especially when you break the sound barrier. Though, I feel it could be kicked up several hundred mph throughout the game. This is so flight simply gets your around quicker, feels more intense and empowering, all while providing a sense of progression. When you achieve higher speeds for flight, I think it should build up over time, making you faster and faster till you reach the cap. A toggled 1st person view would be an awesome addition as well, I think. Flight will also play a role in fighting, known as Flight Combat (See Below).

I believe this video illustrates perfectly how I'd love for this to feel in a video game:

Up, Up, and Away!

This simply allows you to launch skyward and continue flying after holding down the button for flight. The longer it's held, the faster you'll fire upward. You can perform this while holding an enemy as well, taking you into Flight Combat.

No Caption Provided

Flight Combat

Flight Combat is performed by using "Up, Up, and Away!" while locked on, which will activate your flight and launch Superman towards his enemy so you can continue through the air with them. As you fly faster throughout the game, it will impact Flight Combat because when crashing enemies through buildings or into the ground, faster flight speeds will increase damage. Upgrades will allow you to punch your enemy at super speed during Flight Combat, eventually being able to use "Heat Vision" at the same time. You can fly through buildings with your adversary but when doing so it will limit you to a single floor. You have the options of dragging them along the floor, ceiling, or through objects and walls before exiting out the other side. Your opponent can retaliate via Quick Time Event (ala Shadow of Mordor's death QTE). If you fail the QTE, your enemy will free themselves of your grasp and knock you downward. Succeeding with the QTE will result in an increase in perception so the player can make their choice of continuing with the Flight Combat or using a different attack (Charged Punch or Heat Vision (Amped), etc.)

Simple Example:

No Caption Provided

Art by Mauricio Abril

Detailed Example:

Imagine you're playing Superman. You grab your opponent and begin a Charged Punch. Time is slowed because your perceptions are enhanced during this period. You decided to punch them at a 45°ish angle. He pulls back his arm back and follows through. His fist connects to their face, causing a shockwave before sending them sailing away. You target them again and begin Flight Combat. Again, your surroundings slow to a crawl and Superman kicks off the ground, flying towards the target. You slam into them. There is a building close by, Superman decides use it to hurt his opponent. They crash into a level of the building, dragging across the floor, ceiling, and through objects. They bust out the other side and the opponent has had enough, so they decide to retaliate. This begins the QTE. You succeed and time slows once again. You decide to go with AmpedHeat Vision. Superman charges it quickly before firing a massive blast of heat at his enemy, sending his opponent flying through the air to the ground below.

This is just an "off-the-top-of-my-head" example of what the player could do. After the QTE they could have used a charged punch, or simply fly into them again to continue Flight Combat before slamming them into the concrete below.

Super Speed

This power can be used while running, flying, or to enhance your perceptions. When running, you can use the shoulder buttons to shift into a higher tier of speed. When making turns around street corners, slow motion will kick-in. This allows you to easily choose what path you'd like to take.

• Tier 1: 60 MPH
  • Tier 2: 120 MPH - This speed will allow you to run on water.
  • Tier 3: 180 MPH - You can also run on water at this speed and you will automatically dodge obstacles in your way.
No Caption Provided

Perception Speed

There are times when this kicks in for other mechanics, but this can toggled and will draw heavily from your Solar Power Meter, allowing the player to witness actions around them in slow motion. When being used, your abilities will become Burst Powers (See Below).

Like this, just probably not as fast.
Like this, just probably not as fast.

Burst Powers

While "Perception Speed" is active, powers will become more abrupt and lighter versions of themselves. "Heat Vision" becomes "Heat Blast", while "Freeze/Super Breath" turns into "Freeze/Super Gust".

Something like this.
Something like this.

Amped Powers

"Heat Vision", "Freeze Breath", and "Super Breath" will be bound to the D-Pad. Selecting the same power twice will switch to a more powerful version of that ability (ala Superman Returns).

No Caption Provided

Freeze Breath

This power will draw from your Solar Power Meter.

• Freeze Breath - Continuous compressed air from your lungs that can be used to freeze enemies. This can be used mid combo to freeze an opponent, providing you with opportunity. You can use this to combat random events such as crimes or natural disasters.
  • Amped Freeze Breath - A large blast of icy wind that freezes multiple enemies for an extended duration.
  • Freeze Gust - Freeze Breath becomes Freeze Gust when Perception Speed is active. This allows you to freeze opponents to the ground, preventing them from moving for a short time.

No Caption Provided

Super Breath

This power will take from your Solar Power Meter.

• Super Breath - Continuous air from your lungs powerful enough to blow enemies away. This can be used mid combo to knock an enemy into the air.
  • Amped Super Breath - A powerful burst of wind that can send multiple enemies flying through the air into objects, dealing damage.
  • Super Gust - Super Breath becomes Super Gust when Perception Speed is active. This allows you to knock down multiple enemies while they're "slowed".

Heat Vision

This power will take from your Solar Power Meter.

• Heat Vision - Continuous beams of heat from your eyes that can be used to damage opponents.
  • Amped Heat Vision - A large burst of Heat Vision that deals huge amounts of damage to multiple enemies or a single target, depending on whether or not you're locked on to one.
  • Heat Blast - Heat Vision becomes Heat Blast when Perception Speed is active. This allows you to knock back multiple enemies while they're "slowed".
Badass.
Badass.

X-Ray Vision

Much like Arkham City's "Detective Mode" this will serve the purpose of seeing through walls or the environment to view enemies and solve some objectives. It should look far more natural than "Detective Mode" and less technological.

I had this in mind, Clark using his X-Ray Vision as a child in
I had this in mind, Clark using his X-Ray Vision as a child in "Man of Steel".

Super Hearing

This power will alert you of dangers throughout Metropolis. Situations that require Superman's attention will ping the player to a location somewhere in the city. The noises being heard can help describe what is taking place at the pinged location. I'd love to have an animation that cues when these pinged locations appear, where Superman turns his head in the direction of the danger.

No Caption Provided

Enemy Types

Thugs

Ordinary crime could be handled with little effort from the boy scout, so many deem this boring. Whether it's a thug robbing a bank/store, beating up a civilian or snatching a purse, I personally feel it could be made empowering, fun, and even humorous by having Superman's actions "behave" differently against normal thugs in the sense that his physical attacks and his powers will become more delicate, making it possible to use your powers lightly on regular criminals.

Examples:

1. Freezing a thug in place, and using a light melee or other action to K.O. (refer to point 4.)

2. Heating up their weapon/freezing their hands if they attempt to take a hostage as leverage to get out of the situation, and continue with light melee or other action to K.O. (refer to point 4.)

3. Blowing them down with a firm gust of wind (chance of K.O.)

4. Making Superman interact with them differently than he would meta-humans. For instance, instead of punching them through a building, have Superman capable of performing light takedowns at the push of button. This could include flicking them, slapping them, or shoving them back several feet with a light touch of the palm. The player could go on to take them to the MPD (Metropolis Police Department) or leave them for the police. The latter could be done via super speed animation that has Superman run off-screen and back, typing the criminal up too fast for us to see.

5. If a thug does fire a shot at a civilian, the player could use Perception Speed to stop the bullet with Heat Blast, Super Gust, or Freeze Gust. You could simply move in front of the bullets before they reach the civilian, having them bounce off of your skin.

Super Speed Enemies

Enemies with super speed can require toggling "Perception Speed" to defeat, otherwise they're practically blurs hitting you and can't be locked onto. To rebuttal, players could do a number of things, like toggling "Perception Speed", and using Heat Blast, Freeze Gust, or Super Gust on them. Amped Powers can also do the trick due to the fact that they cover more ground if you aren't locked onto a target. A well placed/timed Super Slam or Thunderclap can slow them, and knock them down or back into objects, dazing them. There are different ways that these fights could be handled, it's simply up to the player on how.

Examples:

1. Using "Freeze Breath" with "Perception Speed" toggled to halt them in place, and proceeding to strike them however you'd like.

2. "Heat Blast" will knock them back so the player can overpower them afterward while they're dazed. .

3. "Super Gust" will blow them off their feet so Superman can finish them off with a Ground Takedown.

4. As stated before, a well placed/timed area attack will slow/daze them as well.

Super Strong/Durable Enemies

Enemies possessing super strength and durability will give some of the most fun fights I've had the pleasure of thinking about. They will be able to grab, punch, and throw you at buildings, while also being capable of stomping you into the ground. They will be able to take your blows and deal some back to you. Their greater durability will allow them to take a lot more damage compared to other enemy types. Players should encounter no more than 2 at one time.

Example: This video again.

1. You could start punching them and hit them with an uppercut (Liftoff) mid combo or wreck them with a charged punch. This sends the enemy into the air. You can continue by locking on and launching yourself towards them for some Flight Combat. You could go on to slam them into the ground or through a building.

2. You can chain combos together with your powers. From hitting your enemy with a gust of "Freeze Breath" mid combo that chills them to a standstill. This allows you to chain along another combo (This will be balanced and won't be spammable) or knock them in the air and finishing them with an amped power.

3. Your punches will have a chance to knock certain enemies down, while specific powers could be used to do so as well. After that has been done, it's lights out after a Ground Takedown.

4. Having enemies who can fly can require flying into your adversary or hitting them with your powers to slow or stop them.

Of course this is a must.
Of course this is a must.

I'll add more enemy types soon.

Mission Types

Heroic Acts

These are random events in the open world that include the following and more. They are jobs for Superman that yield experience to be used towards damage/health upgrades and some skins.

• Bank and store robberies
  • Carjackings
  • Purse snatches
  • Hostage situations
  • Fires
  • Trapped innocents (moving/destroying a structure to free them)
  • Falling aircraft
  • Runaway train
  • Returning child's balloon
  • Fires

Examples:

⦁ Ping to Superman via "Super Hearing" by a sinking submarine calling for help. Player must dive into the water and lift the submarine, placing it safely upon land.

⦁ Super Hearing will alert Superman of a falling plane in the sky somewhere on the map. The player must get to the plane, grab it and level it out or put it gently on land, depending on whether or not the plane is on fire (simply a visual indication of what action needs to be performed.)

⦁ Ping to a train that has been sabotaged and Superman must stop it before it crashes, killing innocents.

⦁ Hearing a getaway car and subduing the bad guys before they can manage to get away.

More powerful than a locomotive!
More powerful than a locomotive!

Clark Kent Segment

During this segment (wherever it is in the game), you will play as Clark Kent. It will play much like Predator missions from the Arkham series, but allowing you to use some of your powers albeit more subtly. This would also act as somewhat of a test as to whether people would want to see more of it along with it being some cool fan-service. (Playing as Clark will make your powers act as if Perception Speed were active)

• Sneaking passed guards or knocking them out with a flick to the head (Silent Takedowns ala Arkham Knight).
  • Freezing guards or objects.
  • Destroying objects with Heat Blast to distract enemies.
  • Knocking enemies into objects, walls, or one another with Super Breath.
  • Using X-Ray Vision to find certain items, people, or locations to accomplish objectives.
No Caption Provided

Mxyzptlk Madness

Mister Mxyzptlk has come to Metropolis, laughing at the situation your in. He wagers that if you can make him say his name backward and complete his trials, he'll leave with a reward to boot. These are missions that will be odd in nature, often changing reality. Challenges could consist of things like being shrunk and fighting action figures. He could be responsible for interesting natural disasters as well, such a tornadoes made of fire or meteorites etc.

No Caption Provided

Villains

Doomsday (From Factor 5's Cancelled Superman Project)
Doomsday (From Factor 5's Cancelled Superman Project)

Brainiac
Brainiac

Parasite
Parasite

General Zod
General Zod

Metallo
Metallo

I loved Metallo's introduction in the Superman Animated Series. He disliked his new body because he couldn't feel or taste. That's something I want flaunted in his character here. Metallo is losing it because he wants out of Metropolis, so he is essentially going to be a rampage type of character. Because he hates his body and isn't allowed the same personal luxuries as people who are capable of tasting, feeling, enjoying sleep, etc. he feels the need to compensate for that with other freedoms. An issue I want him to have as an extension of the circumstances of his body is that he'd rather not spend his immortal life inside of a bottled Metropolis.

Livewire
Livewire

Lex Luthor
Lex Luthor

Intergang
Intergang

Supporting Characters

Lois Lane
Lois Lane

Jimmy Olsen
Jimmy Olsen

Jimmy has a signal watch.

Martha Kent
Martha Kent
Krypto
Krypto

Dr. Emil Hamilton
Dr. Emil Hamilton

Dan Turpin
Dan Turpin

Dan Turpin will lead a meta-human task-force. He and his squad will be strongly connected to stopping Intergang and relinquishing their newfound tech and weaponry. His task-force will also tackle random meta-human related events the player chooses not to pursue while lower-scale law enforcement within the city take care of smaller scale events like robberies or carjackings Superman ends up not getting to/doing.

Open World

Metropolis

No Caption Provided

Map

Superman Returns: The Videogame did a very poor job here. In size, the map was good but was clumped together and surrounded by a mountain range. When I envision Metropolis, I see something like a great city that is possibly divided into parts, some being bigger than others. The map must be very large. Superman Returns had an 80 sq mi. map, which is big but can definitely be outdone. Something 1/4 the size of Just Cause 2 (Would be 125 sq mi.) but with more city sounds great. This allows the player to not feel like they can fly around the whole city in 10 seconds while also making sense of natural disasters, etc.

No Caption Provided

Civilians

The A.I. for the civilians of Metropolis needs to of course, be relatively smart, but also very capable of running and getting away from dangerous fights between Superman and his opponent most of the time. Ideally, I would have a Superman game try to keep hurt citizens between 2 - 3 unless under certain circumstances. Superman Returns had injured civilians, which is good if you don't have 10 people needing to be carried to the ambulance. Cases like this influence the player to maybe carry 1 or 2 of them to the emergency vehicles, while leaving any others behind because they feel it's too tedious. This takes away from the experience of feeling like Superman. Honestly, it made me feel kinda bad, even when I couldn't help it because sometimes the EMS would be far away, and the injured victims would disappear off the map. It would do nothing but refill the city's health, which is a great idea but I think there should be something extra in it for the player, so it's more rewarding to do good.

Examples:

1. Civilians who are in their cars should stop what they're doing, and start running when danger is close or can be seen from a distance. The same goes for pedestrians.

2. Citizens cannot be harmed/targeted by Superman's powers (friendly fire).

3. Carrying the injured to a hospital or close EMS should yield an experience bonus to spend towards upgrades while also regenerating a fraction of Metropolis' health.

4. Civilians can help each other get away from danger, to a nearby ambulance, or call an ambulance to help. This is a good idea which allows for more citizens to be injured to improve immersion, while leaving some for the player to save if there are any.

Destruction

I do not feel that buildings should topple and be destroyed as a result of the player fighting. But the buildings that do get damaged can be repaired via super speed animation, providing XP to the player if they choose to take the time to go to the damaged building and perform the repair. When fixing the building, Superman flies around it after insane speeds, covering the whole thing in a red blur before stopping to reveal the structure looking good as new. If the player decides not to repair it, they're lead to believe Brainiac drones take care of it, as his ultimate goal is to preserve the bottled cities.

(Flying into most objects won't stop Superman. They will be destroyed, deformed, or damaged.)

No Caption Provided

Fortress of Solitude

I feel players should be able to get here from Metropolis by flying towards it or through the pause menu. Costumes and challenge maps could be accessed through a Crystal Terminal or through the main menu (ala Arkham Knight). This would have to be unlocked halfway through the story or so otherwise it makes zero sense given the context. This is a very special place for Superman. I'd love a "Pay Respects" (Arkham City) to Krypton and your parents. Gazing up at the statue of them holding up Krypton, with some emotional music and a skylight shining down upon them. A green glow in the distance of space signifying Krypton.

No Caption Provided

Other Notes

Skins

For Tomorrow (Jim Lee)
For Tomorrow (Jim Lee)
Godfall
Godfall

DCEU Superman
DCEU Superman

Val-Zod
Val-Zod

Kingdom Come
Kingdom Come

New 52
New 52

Red Son
Red Son

Animated
Animated

Action Comics
Action Comics

Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Control Scheme

Using PlayStation controls. When flying with an enemy the player must use the left analog stick to fly.

⦁ L2: Lock-on Targeting

⦁ L1: Hold for Block / Hold and move to Dodge / Double tap for Speed Tier Down

⦁ R2: Use selected power / Throw

⦁ R1: Hold for Super Speed during flight / Double tap for Speed Tier Up

⦁ Square: Attack / Hold for charged punches / Swing or slam object / Hold to swing or slam object harder

⦁ Triangle: Toggle Flight / Hold for Up, Up, and Away! / Hold while locked on for Flight Combat.

⦁ Circle: Grab / Throw / Hold to throw harder/ Pick up or Put down civilian

⦁ X: Super Jump/Hold For Greater Leap

⦁ D-Pad Up: Heat Vision/Amped Heat Vision

⦁ D-Pad Left: Freeze Breath / Amped Freeze Breath

⦁ D-Pad Right: Super Breath / Amped Super Breath

⦁ D-Pad Down: X-Ray Vision / Put Civilian / Object Down

⦁ Left Analog: Move / Flight Control during Flight Combat / Press For Perception Speed

⦁ Right Analog: Move Camera/Aim/Flight Control/Press for 1st Person View during flight

⦁ Touchpad: Map

⦁ Super Hearing is passive

R2 + Square: Ground Takedown

Holding Square + Circle w/charged hit counter: Liftoff (Powerful Uppercut)

Holding Square + X w/charged hit counter: Super Slam

Holding Square + Triangle w/charged hit counter: Thunderclap

I hope you all liked the read, and hopefully we see something like this come to fruition! Until then.. "Up, up, and away!"

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like the placement started messing up when I got to talking about the Fortress. Guess I ran out of room...?

transcendence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Longest OP in the history of Comic Vine?

GLEmerald924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GLEmerald924

I agree with everything you said but I would much rather they make a Justice League game.

No Caption Provided

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NotATreeABush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Longest OP in the history of Comic Vine?

Not even close

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/dante-devil-may-cry-respect-thread-1473126/

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zaied  Online

Superman's best chance of getting a game will be within the next several years. The Arkham series was really a product of the Nolan films and Batman's huge resurgence.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nerise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want a Dc game thats not batman

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i think Superman or The Flash would make a great Superhero game.

GLEmerald924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth: yea I just read over the important parts and ideas that I like. I love the ideas you came up with for how his powers can be used. I also like the different costumes.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC vs Marvel is needed a lot more.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Of course

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Agreed.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Factor 5 was working on one. But, it got canceled before it was announced. There was a scene during gameplay in which Superman was fighting Doomsday, which also required moving the PS3 controller around during flight.

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: well injustice have superman but it not much of a superman game it more of justice league and teen titans game.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I am actually surpised there isn't a great Superman game..

Great article tho.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A green arrow game would be intresting

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: well injustice have superman but it not much of a superman game it more of justice league and teen titans game.

Which is why I wouldn't count that.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: Yeah, I included a link but I should have added the video for the Factor 5 Superman. Forgot I could do that.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This OP is good and I agreed with a lot of it

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

An interesting read.

I actually like very much a lot of the features you describe. Some others I feel will make the game too heavy, then again I know nothing of the capabilities of next gen consoles.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Some really great ideas here.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Well, the video of Superman vs. Doomsday shows that it is possible on PS3 while still looking decent. Especially if the game is built around the concept of something like this it should totally be feasible. Could probably do even more.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

Not something I say often, but TL;DR.

The big problem I see is the flight combat. It's essentially how Superman fights 90% of the time, and I can't think of a single game that has had worthwhile flight hand-to-hand combat. I cannot even imagine a fluid way to make it happen though there might be a way. (I did read your thoughts on that issue, and a lock on system could work, but lock-on systems are rather dated, and even when used, they account for horizontal movement not 360 movement.

Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't see a proper superman game.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see Rockstar do a Superman or Batman game.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BappyRonChantin

The biggest problem with creating a superman game imo is that the developers will either have to dumb down Superman's powers/speed to a city buster/JLA animated series supes level or have to create the biggest map in video game history. In a limited area/Metropolis we will never get to use his superspeed+strength at its full glory.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Oh god, yes!

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Self-DCeit

It's been repeated over and over again. Superman's powers are not an obstacle and can easily be worked around with with simple gaming mechanics: depower him at the beginning with Parasite or some other convenient contrivance, and have him regain his powers through the course of the game ("leveling up" and "upgrades"). And, if you're that scared of the mechanics in Metropolis or on Earth once he's fully powered, have the final stage of the game be in space or on the moon.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been repeated over and over again. Superman's powers are not an obstacle and can easily be worked around with with simple gaming mechanics: depower him at the beginning with Parasite or some other convenient contrivance, and have him regain his powers through the course of the game ("leveling up" and "upgrades"). And, if you're that scared of the mechanics in Metropolis or on Earth once he's fully powered, have the final stage of the game be in space or on the moon.

That's seriously a flawless idea.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe to make a Superman game, you need to go all out when it comes to his power. Not just Mach 5, not just Mach 50, Not just Mach 50,000, make Clark FTL.

Embrace the OP'NESS and go crazy.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3: The OP is my idea. I have more and this is a rough draft. Still have to go over and edit/cut/add things.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting read and some really good ideas man

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably the best Superman’ game ‘proposition I’ve ever read. Bravo, mercinwithamouth: !

Small nitpick, though:

(With Darkseids help, Lex damages the Phantom Zone and frees Zod, Non, Faora, and Doomsday?)

Don’t put all eggs in one basket. As much as I like Superman, that might be overkill even for him plus you should keep some foes for possible sequel to game.

And d…mn, if such game will be ever released, I’ll buy new gen console instantly, just for this game alone (so far strictly PC gamer ;-).

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

@self-dceit said:

That's seriously a flawless idea.

Thanks, though I'm sure somebody else probably thought of it before. Shame no developer went through with it, yet.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

The biggest problem with creating a superman game imo is that the developers will either have to dumb down Superman's powers/speed to a city buster/JLA animated series supes level or have to create the biggest map in video game history. In a limited area/Metropolis we will never get to use his superspeed+strength at its full glory.

Sadly this is a problem I can see with developing a Superman game too. Even if they go with a video game levelling up mechanic a la depowering Superman at the game's beginning, people will just complain that Superman shouldn't have to be depowered for a game about him to be made.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BappyRonChantin

@lvenger: Besides Superman moves, fights in a scale and speed that's far beyond the comprehension capability of a human brain, it will be extremely hard to translate all those into a video game. I don't see a developer doing those without nerfing his powers and then just as you said, many will complain it's not the ideal Superman game they are looking for.