Superman and Action Comics Rebirth Discussion Thread

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Yep I continue to hate Bendis' handling of Jon, even young Jon doesn't sound good under Bendis' pen. And Oz' existential pontificating is somehow worse than Jurgens making him a zealot.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3602  Edited By ZariusII

So Bendis threw Killowagg and Arsia of the GLC under the bus in today's issue, as they refused to help Jon return home because of the presence of Jor-El.

Also, I can't believe the editorial didn't pick this up

No Caption Provided

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I know Bendis made Wonder Girl beat Despero which was one pis garbage but if he throws down with the Crime Syndicate an comes out on top just fire him already.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

DC's next big year long event

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-unveils-year-villain-special-25-cent-issue-1186135

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Year of Villains announcement has Didio's fingerprints all over it. It's like a mash up of Forever Evil and Faces of Evil down to monthly stories of the villains taking over the main heroes' comics, Lex leading a team of supervillains and Bane ruling Gotham. Didio just wants another opportunity to rehash an all villains focused event since he loves it so much apparently.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Wasn't there a Month of Villains a couple of years back?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian said:

Wasn't there a Month of Villains a couple of years back?

Yes, in 2013.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: It's been that long since then? Damn lol

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3609  Edited By ZariusII

@magian said:

@zariusii: It's been that long since then? Damn lol

Far as I'm concerned, DC was on hiatus after 2011 until 2016

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3610  Edited By Magian

So is this the issue where the Crime Syndicate is supposed to appear?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3611 morpheus_  Moderator

@magian: Here you go, I just spared you from reading it.

They only appear on the last page.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian: Here you go, I just spared you from reading it.

lol Well wasn't planning to but still I do appreciate the thought :P

I see. Was mostly curious to see how they get to appear there when they are all supposed to be dead but I guess that will have to wait.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3613 morpheus_  Moderator

@magian: Do you really expect Bendis to answer that?

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3615 morpheus_  Moderator

@magian: In fairness, they don't appear in the current Prime universe, Jon flies through a black hole and encounters them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63
deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What kind of Mongul was that? zzzzzz

~le random Mongul

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: I see. Maybe time travel? Although don't know how it would work in this case since they are from another universe. Of course they could always not be real.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3618  Edited By ZariusII

Why are you clinging onto events that happened in a dead continuity like the new 52? The Superman Reborn merge rewrote a lot of reality. I don't blame Bendis for neglecting canon here at all.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

DC leaving their pros in the dark as Doomsday Clock is pushed back again

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3620 morpheus_  Moderator

@zariusii: Superman Reborn rewrote a lot of events in Superman's life, but how that affects the lives of other members of the League is unclear, if not ill-defined. Then you also have to account for the massive retcon in Rucka's Wonder Woman, and it becomes even more difficult to keep track.

However, that does not mean that Darkseid War did not happen - especially since its repercussions with Darkseid in Grail's care as a child was picked up by Robinson and expanded upon. So we know those events or a version of them transpired.

In short, do you really think Bendis cares or is even beholden to that continuity but elected to ignore that Ultraman, Owlman, Power Ring and others are dead? He simply writes anything that interests him. He probably doesn't have a clue and just thought it was cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman flying away to save people because he can hear them is definitely a Superman-thing to do. But, do we need it in every issues? It's getting lazy now.

Jon doesn't and shouldn't stand a chance against the CSA, but Bendis probably doesn't care. I hope Jon doesn't stomp the team like how Wonder Girl stomped Despero.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if that indeed happens, do let me know. Wouldn't want to miss that lol

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

May solicitations have been released by Bleeding Cool.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/18/full-dc-comics-may-2019-catalog-solicits-from-year-of-the-villain-the-last-knight-on-earth/

* Jimmy is getting an ongoing. Matt Fraction is the writer and Steve Leiber, the artist.

* Lois Lane series by Greg Rucka confirmed. Mike Perkins is the artist. I am so glad Lois is getting an ongoing.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, Rucka understands Lois. Assuming this "modern marriage" is still in effect, he can make Lois' new status quo work, and gives her consistent exposure while Bendis spends several months possibly without her in the books focusing on Clark

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that Reddit AMA with Bendis has enough mods otherwise it's going to get ugly very fast. Many r/dccomics posters are not big fans of Bendis' Superman run from what I recall since I last browsed there.

Whilst it's nice to see Rucka back on a Lois Lane ongoing since his take on Lois is probably one of the strongest amongst the Superman writers, as long as these series are part of Bendis' status quo, I doubt I'll have any part of them. At least Man and Superman was an absolutely fantastic read to cleanse my palette of Bendis' Superman for a time.

Even more worrying than the Leviathan fallout is what Bendis means by a choice from Superman that will affect his relationship with his family, the League and the Earth. Probably something to do with setting up the United Planets which isn't necessarily a bad idea but because it's being done by Bendis, I'm dreading how he'll execute it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: I didn't say there was. That's more to do with Snyder's Justice League than Bendis though.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Is Man and Superman a brand new comic or a reprint?

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3631  Edited By Magian

At least Lois is lucky not to be written by Bendis anymore because from what I've been hearing, he hasn't exactly been treating her well. Could be interesting.

And a Jimmy on-going, huh? Curious to see what this one is going to be about.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3632 morpheus_  Moderator

No disrespect to Lois or Jimmy, but getting writers of Fraction and Rucka's quality to write them seems almost like a waste to me. They should be helming Superman/Action Comics, not on-goings for Superman's supporting cast.

Can't wait for Bendis' Superman to manage to get outsold by Jimmy Olsen, Superman's pal.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol Now that would be something.

And Superman is not doing that well, huh?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3634 morpheus_  Moderator

@magian: Neither series performs as well as its predecessor did at the same point. I recall getting a more in-depth look some weeks back, but Superman currently sells less than Tomasi's Superman did after 20+ issues.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Matt Fraction coming to DC to write Jimmy Olsen?

That's...unexpected.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Pretty sure DC never thought something like this could happen.

And I can understand why I suppose. Besides the apparently bad writing, doing away with the Super-family dynamic which was loved by many fans, was a bad decision.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m excited for Fraction doing Jimmy and Rucka doing Lois, it’ll be good to increase Supermans supporting cast and family of books. I’ve always believed they have just as much potential as the Batman line and hopefully this helps illustrate that.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’d make more sense if Bendis wrote Lois/Jimmy solo books and Rucka/Fraction the main books, but alas, it is what it is.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: Man and Superman was a four part story that Marv Wolfman wrote for Superman Confidential back in 2006. The series was cancelled before the story could be printed and it was only published this month in full. It's basically another origin/early days Superman story but it's really good.

@morpheus_ I'm not a big fan of Fraction personally but I agree with your point. Getting writers of Rucka and Fraction's talents to write Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen series is a waste. They deserve better than supporting character cast comics.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis' reddit AMA was principally Jon-focused. He said ageing up was entirely his choice, he won't turn him "evil" and that he and Conner will eventually interact and discuss who gets to use the name Superboy. Eventually, there will be "rebranding" for them as change is good.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3641 morpheus_  Moderator

@lvenger: Fraction can have off days, but when he opts to focus on what makes a character work, both as a hero and an actual person, he's one of the best. Iron Man, Iron Fist, Hawkeye, his series of Thor one-shots and Spider-Man attest to that. And even when he isn't at the top of his game (Uncanny X-Men, Thor on-going), he is still better than the level Bendis has been reduced to these days.

I'm just surprised his first ever work for DC will be Jimmy.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@eto: Man and Superman was a four part story that Marv Wolfman wrote for Superman Confidential back in 2006. The series was cancelled before the story could be printed and it was only published this month in full. It's basically another origin/early days Superman story but it's really good.

I see. Thanks for the info Lvenger!

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I'm just surprised his first ever work for DC will be Jimmy.

Surprised as well but depending on the direction they take for this book, could be fun.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3644  Edited By Quinlan58

I'm perfectly fine with Rucka/Fraction working on Lois/Jimmy rather than Clark. Those two have lacked an interesting characterization for far longer than Clark has (Clark has good characterization right now, it's everything else that fails).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: I think I was more critical of Fraction back when he was writing more for Marvel but compared to Bendis in recent years, I'd certainly take Fraction at his worse. I heard a Fraction written Jimmy series in the rumour mill several months ago but I wonder why Fraction's first DC Comic would be a Jimmy Olsen one. Jimmy doesn't have the importance or the weird sci fi adventures every month that he had in the Silver Age. Unless Fraction wants to bring that back to Jimmy.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Fraction tends to work better with low-key underutilized characters and concepts in the marvel universe compared to bigger name characters/teams (barring Iron-Man which he just had a perfect grasp) which may be why you were so critical of his writing. Cuz if you look at books like Defenders, Iron Fist, Hawkeye and the FF portion of his Fantastic Four a Jimmy Olsen book is right up his alley and perfect for his style whereas he struggled more with Punisher, the Fantastic Four of his F4, Thor and the X-Men.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The rumours of cutbacks at DC are true, they'll be a 10-15% cutback on published titles.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/21/dan-didio-retailers-dc-cutting-comics/

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Further info on the DC Cutbacks is that the Wal-Mart line has been cancelled and the 100-page giants will now have 48 pages of new material and will be available in all comic stores. There is also a reduction in collected editions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

January 2019 sales figures.

Superman 7 - 50,713

Action Comics 1006 - 46,410

Action Comics 1007 - 44,405

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3650 morpheus_  Moderator

Today's issue was a rollercoaster. I enjoyed the build-up, the subterfuge in the meeting between Lane and Waller, the emergence and characterization of Bones (bonus points for Adam Strange not behaving childishly this time) and yet the lowest marks of this issue lie where its strengths should have been: Superman was competently written by both Lois and Jimmy are shockingly bad. Lois' nonchalance in (almost) telling Clark she revealed his identity to her father is moronic.

Jimmy surviving given the way Bendis writes him is a miracle in itself.