• 75 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Often people talk of SA Superman, as if they really know a lot about the character, without having read the comics. I haven't seen any comprehensive guides about this version of Superman, going through every comic, establishing a consistency for his feats (i.e. an average) and taking a look at what he can really do. So, I've taken it upon myself to read every single Silver Age Superman comic there is, making notes as I go along. Hopefully at the end of this I can make a proper analysis of the character, gauging what was most common for him, as well as the upper limits of his strength and how often he needed to go there. I'm currently working on a couple other respect threads, so my time will be divided, but I intend on providing updates nearly every day.

Index

Action Comics

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane

Superman

Special (Bronze Age)

DC Comics Presents (Bronze Age)

Superboy (Bronze Age)

Christopher Reeve Respect Thread

Anyway, the first comic serial I've decided to start with is Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane, purely because I own every issue. I think this sort of thread would work best if everyone were to focus the discussion on the current issue posted (e.g., I just finished reading Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #1, so below you'll find the cover, a brief synopsis of the plot and my notes).

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane

Issue #1, published March-April, 1958.
Issue #1, published March-April, 1958.

Story #1: "The Bombshell of the Boulevards"

The first thing that strikes me about this comic is the redundantly long descriptions and superfluous amounts of text. Yeah, we're definitely in the Silver Age, and I love it. So the plot's pretty simple, there's a foreign ambassador in Metropolis and Lois wants an interview with the guy. Problem is, everyone and their mother wants a piece of him. So, there's this actress, Lois La Flamme, and she's invited to a reception where the ambassador's gonna be. Thing is, she has no intention of attending the party. Lois, overhearing everything, decides to disguise herself and become La Flamme, in order to get that exclusive interview. Unfortunately, Superman recognizes her and decides to teach her a lesson, staging a fake murder to show her why it's wrong to impersonate people.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane - Super-Chef"

Lois overhears a columnist--for the lovelorn at the Daily Planet--telling a woman the key to a man's heart is through his stomach. Being that she wants to marry Superman, she takes a leave of absence from reporting to become a chef. Things do not pan out in her favor.

Notes:

Story #3: "The Witch of Metropolis"

Lois breaks a compact mirror in front of a painting of Mad Molly, "cursing her" to turn into a witch every night for seven years. Totally had nothing to do with an equally magical youth serum going bad.

Notes:

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By dawnone

Interesting props for putting up a clear analysis on sa supes not a lot of folks get to know him too often.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this eventually picks up.

Issue #2, published June, 1958.
Issue #2, published June, 1958.

Story #1: "Superman's Secret Sweetheart"

Lois Lane takes a trip back to her home town, visiting her old college. In doing so, she meets a woman named Polly that wants to join a sorority. The only problem is, the rules require the girls to have dated someone "glamorous". So the snobs walk in on 'em and Lois gets offended, prompting her to blurt out that Superman is Polly's steady. From there on out Superman and Lois stage a fake romance to help the girl out.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane in Hollywood"

Superman agrees to play his own role in a movie because half the proceeds will go to charity. The Daily Planet's staff gets screened for whether or not they're capable of playing themselves in the film. Of course poor Lois ends up heartbroken, as the director finds her unqualified to play herself. Taking pity on his secretly beloved, Superman frames Lois into ruining the movie... for her own good.

Notes:

Story #3: "Superman's Forbidden Room"

This story's described as nigh incredible on the first page. Can't say I was expecting that sort of description. Basically, the elevator operator at the Daily Planet attempts to fool Lois into thinking he's Superman in order to remove evidence of his boss smuggling illicit materials over the border (not Perry White). Superman himself only appears in two panels.

Notes:

@dawnone said:

Interesting props for putting up a clear analysis on sa supes not a lot of folks get to know him too often.

Thanks. It's a lot of material to sift through, but I enjoy it.

threefacerobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's OP as hell from what I hear.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cruelestashley: This is a huge undertaking, you'll go down as a comic vine legend if you go through and finish it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cruelestashley: This is a huge undertaking, you'll go down as a comic vine legend if you go through and finish it.

I really enjoy these old comics, so I intend on going through all of them, and eventually moving onto Silver Age Flash.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

I really enjoy these old comics, so I intend on going through all of them, and eventually moving onto Silver Age Flash.

Do Silver Age Green Lantern after that, if you still have energy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cruelestashley said:
@nickzambuto said:

Maybe, but at this point we're talking years in the future.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah007123 said:
@cruelestashley said:
@nickzambuto said:

Maybe, but at this point we're talking years in the future.

I can wait lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah007123: Come to think of it, SA Hal Jordan really does need a good analysis, seeing that he has an enormous amount of low-end feats, but also a good number of high-end ones as well. Maybe he should take priority over the Flash.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By micah007123

@cruelestashley: I've only seen one feat for him that I can remember (since usually the only Silver Age character around here that gets the spotlight is Big Blue), he was holding all of Earths continents and trying to keep them in line, or something along those lines. Apparently that was low-end.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah007123: There's just a lot of things that go wrong for Hal, so much that even Superman's blasted for not having his life together. Just look at the guy:

No Caption Provided

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #3, published August, 1958.
Issue #3, published August, 1958.

Story #1: "The Rainbow Superman"

Superman embodies ga- I mean, smashes a meteor on its way to Earth, which sensitizes his skin to certain colors in the presence of said meteor shards. Unbeknownst to him at the time, Superman fixed Lois's locket mirror with a fragment. As a result, each time she opens it, Superman glows rainbows. Not a big deal right? Wrong. Everyone knows about Superman's new rainbow condition, which makes for problems when he continues to glow as Clark Kent.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Man Who Was Clark Kent's Double"

Lois meets a guy that looks just like Clark, whom she also assumes has a secret identity. The thing that gets me about this one is how Mark breaks up with her. Lois knew something was wrong, that he was lying. So, she checks the guy's pocket and finds a mask. He goes ballistic and off about how he can't marry a woman that won't trust him, stating she destroyed his love for him. Basically, he got caught lying, and the fact she didn't trust him, because of said lying, sent him off the deep end.

Notes:

Story #3: "Lois Lane and the Babe of Steel"

Superman goes into the past to erase evidence that would reveal his secret identity, inadvertently swapping places with Superbaby. Scheming, Lois attempts to butter Superbaby up and use his powers for her own selfish benefit. As usual, everything goes wrong.

Notes:

@micah007123 said:

@cruelestashley: Earths premier space cop everyone "claps" lol

The people love him.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7a162f64fe5
deactivated-5a7a162f64fe5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, cool topic. And this thread will get a follow from me.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #4, published October, 1958.
Issue #4, published October, 1958.

Story #1: "The Super-Courtship of Lois Lane"

Jimmy Olsen finds it to be within everyone's best interest to get Lois off Superman's back, by using some suggestive techniques to ship her and Clark together. Only, Jimmy doesn't know Clark's really Superman, resulting in a "super-courtship" that Lois surmises to be an April fools' joke.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane, Working Girl"

A theatrical agent approaches Lois, enamored by her looks, to give her a role in an upcoming play. Problem is, the part involves being a "working girl", something she has no experience with. Lo and behold, Lois Lane takes up a job at a pretzel factory for two weeks, avoiding disaster after disaster.

Notes:

Story #3: Annie Oakley Gets Her (Super)Man

Lois and Clark, kinda like Lewis and Clark, visit a frontier style resort to write a feature. Lois of course, totally predictably, ends up with amnesia and convinces herself that she's Annie Oakley. Needless to say, Lois Lane is the last person that should be given a gun.

Notes:

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

He's OP as hell from what I hear.

he is pretty op, but his opness inspired even more op versions of green lantern and the flash

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is amazing. Keep up the great work!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #5, published December, 1958.
Issue #5, published December, 1958.

Story #1: "Superman's Greatest Sacrifice"

Lois meets her doppelganger, the richest woman in the world, Dolores Drake. Dolores poses as Lois in order to Superman, however, as it turns out, it's just her butler impersonating him. There's really not much of a denouement here. The story ends with Superman and Lois reconciling briefly, but Dolores drops off the face of the planet. I can imagine the sort of dry writing that would fill the void anyway, "Oh! Boo-hoo! I can't believe this happened to me! Why did this have to happen to me?"

Notes:

Story #2: "The Girl of 100 Costumes"

Superman decides to reward Lois for donating her contest winnings to charity, but unlike a sensible person, she attempts to sway him with glamour before telling him what she would like him to do for her.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Fattest Girl in Metropolis"

Lois witnesses a murder, so Superman arranges to have her gain a hundred pounds, unbeknownst to her, so the killer doesn't recognize her.

Notes:

Thedarkpaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome thread! It deserves more appreciation.

GothamCiti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GothamCiti

Great thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone. I've been recovering the past few days, so it's been difficult to provide updates.

Issue #6, published January, 1959.
Issue #6, published January, 1959.

Story #1: "The Amazing Superman Junior"

Lois sneaks aboard a rocket that travels into space at faster than light speeds, but loses consciousness due to the shock of the rocket taking off, whereby she's saved by Superman; who in turn attempts to teach her a lesson by making it seem as though everyone aside from her has aged. However, she notices the fuel gauge never was touched, and decides to get back at Superman with a hoax of her own.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane--Convict!"

Superman, the district attorney and Lois come up with a plan to put some fake license plate mobsters behind bars. The plan involved Lois going to prison... and the guards or correctional officers didn't seem to be in on it. More over, the $25,000 bail the Daily Planet raised was utterly pointless, since they knew she was "guilty". I suppose the writers would use some excuse like, "Well, they gave it all to charity!" but, I can't help but imagine many angry donators showing up after reading the evening paper.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lieutenant Lois Lane, U.S. Army!"

Lois Lane and Clark Kent are sent off to join the U.S. Army to write a feature story on army life. Noticing something off, Lois acts the role of a tyrant to expose a spy. I'm not sure how Lois knew there was any evidence in the locker... or really how being rude and angry all the time gave her credence for anything. I suppose the fear she inspired just made people too afraid to question her.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #7, published February, 1959.
Issue #7, published February, 1959.

Story #1: "Lois Lane's Kiss of Death"

Lois Lane is assigned to write a story debunking superstitions, so she goes to a museum and tries on Queen Isis's crown, which is said to curse all wearers by killing those they kiss. As a result of her story, local screwballs decide to take advantage of the legend after a coincidental death of a dog, framing Lois as an inadvertent murderer.

Notes:

Story #2: "When Lois Lane Forgot Superman"

Lois realizes her love for Superman isn't practical, so she has a hypnotist "erase" her memory.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Girl Who Stole Superman"

Land Lang, broken down and jobless, is taken in by Lois Lane. To repay her kindness, Lana decides to drive a stake between her and Superman--at his request of course; to save Lois's life.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #8, published April, 1959.
Issue #8, published April, 1959.

Story #1: "The Superwoman of Metropolis"

Superman gives Lois superpowers, putting her through the wringer as Clark to show her how Superman feels when she tries to figure out/expose his secret identity.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Ugly Superman"

Perry White assigns Lois Lane to write a story on why so many women are attending wrestling matches. Upon writing a feature on a numskull Superman impersonator, she finds herself courted by said numskull, to the point that Superman himself has to intervene.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Queen for a Day"

Lois and Clark end up stranded on an island full of Amazons, who in turn believe Lois to be their queen for pulling a "magic" sword from its stone scabbard.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if I prefer this formatting to what I've had going for the previous issues. Thoughts?

Issue #9, published May, 1959.
Issue #9, published May, 1959.

Story #1: "The Most Hated Girl in Metropolis"

The Daily Planet staff trick Lois into thinking they're livid at her for printing a story exposing Superman's secret identity. Everyone's tamely vicious in this one, barring Lois.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane's Stone-Age Suitor"

Lois and Clark crash-land in a prehistoric tribe, where Lois finds she must marry a neanderthal or die. Clark of course, because his super-feelings get hurt, decides to escalate the process to teach Lois a lesson.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Superman's Mystery Song"

Pat Boone, fond of Lois's singing abilities, invites her as a guest on his TV show. Clark, pressured to write the lyrics for her song, accidentally leaves a clue that could reveal his secret identity, forcing him to interfere with the song's broadcast(s).

Notes:

So far, one thing that's been really consistent is Superman's ability to travel around the speed of light.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #10, published July, 1959.
Issue #10, published July, 1959.

Story #1: "The Cry-Baby of Metropolis"

Lois, noticing wrinkles on her skin, decides to "trifle" with a youth ray, causing her to age backwards. Superman in turn fabricates a story about the antidote in order to teach her a lesson, which is a pretty common theme in this comic serial as you may've noticed by now.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane's Romeo"

Lois falls for a crook running a love racket in Italy. The word impetuous is frequently tossed around at her and I can see why.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lois Lane's Super-Séance"

Lois, unknowingly, is assisted by Superman to preform a seance with the goal to fool a gang of bank robbers.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #11, published August, 1959.
Issue #11, published August, 1959.

Story #1: "The Leopard Girl of the Jungle"

Lois goes to Africa to write a feature on a doctor, but her plane ends up having engine trouble, so she parachutes off into the jungle where she ends up with amnesia. As a result, she leads a leopard pack and wanders the jungle.

Story #2: "The Tricks of Lois Lane!"

Lois tries to prove Clark is Superman and fails, real standard stuff.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lois Lane's Super-Perfume"

Some crooks attempt to swindle Lois into endorsing their phony perfume so they can scam millions of women. Superman, however, has other plans.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm under a bit of stress, so I'm going to take a bit of a break. Here's a few extra entries in the meantime.

Issue #12, published October, 1959.
Issue #12, published October, 1959.

Story #1: "The Mermaid from Metropolis!"

Lois goes skin-diving off the coast of Honolulu, where she ends up getting trapped under a bunch of debris and loses function of her legs and lungs. Out of the blue, Aquaman just happens to be passing by and takes her to a special doctor, who in turn, turns her into a mermaid.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Girl Atlas!"

Professor Morris magically discovers the formula that gave Atlas his strength and Achilles his invulnerability, giving it to Lois to give to Superman... because he couldn't just give it to him himself.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lois Lane Loves Clark Kent!"

Lois witnesses Clark fall out a window and take no fall damage. So she decides to court him, but he tricks her into thinking he's a degenerate so she doesn't marry anyone she blindly believes is Superman. What gets me is how Superman just blindly assumed Lois would attempt to court Clark, as opposed to calling him out. Although, based on the last panel, Clark's unease may imply that wasn't his plan from the beginning.

Notes:

Issue #13, published November, 1959.
Issue #13, published November, 1959.

Story #1: "Introducing... Lois Lane's Parents!"

Lois goes back to her hometown to visit her parents with Superman. Some ugly bird-looking woman mishears a conversation and gossips that the two are getting married, causing havoc for the pair.

Notes:

Story #2: "Alias Lois Lane!"

Two losers mistake Lois Lane, hair dyed blonde, for another person, thereafter enlisting her to impersonate herself in hopes of exposing Superman to kryptonite.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Shocking Secret of Lois Lane!"

Lois gets hypnotized and thinks she has the face of a cat. I prefer the boxhead, reminds me of Moltar.

Notes:

Issue #14, published January, 1960.
Issue #14, published January, 1960.

Story #1: "Three Nights in the Fortress of Solitude!"

Superman invites Lois over to his Fortress of Solitude, only for her to devise a plan to keep her there long enough to demonstrate it as a safe home for her to live as his wife.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane's Soldier Sweetheart!"

Lois leads the media on in order to convince a soldier's father he can act.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lois Lane's Secret Romance!"

Supergirl, wanting to be adopted, attempts to push Lois and Superman together.

Notes:

Issue #15, published February, 1960.
Issue #15, published February, 1960.

The Super-Family of Steel!

A Kandorian, Van-Zee, escapes from the bottled city and gains the same powers as every other Kryptonian. In doing so, he seeks out Lois Lane, who rejects him, so he goes after her double--Sylvia. The two get married and have some kids while the reader is led to believe the two are Superman and Lois.

"Part One: Super-Husband and Wife"

Notes:

"Part Two: The Bride Gets Super-Powers"

Notes:

"Part Three: The Secret of the Super Family"

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #16, published April, 1960.
Issue #16, published April, 1960.

Story #1: "Lois Lane's Signal Watch"

Superman gives Lois a signal watch, similar to Jimmy Olsen's, but operating on a different frequency. Impetuously, Lois considers the most minor of issues emergencies, much to Superman's dismay.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Mystery of Skull Island"

Clark and Lois are assigned to write a feature on an elusive actor, whereby Lois suspects him of murdering his wife.

Notes:

Story #3: "The Kryptonite Girl"

Superman tricks Lois into thinking her eyes are emitting kryptonite rays.

Notes:

Issue #17, published May, 1960.
Issue #17, published May, 1960.

Story #1: "The Girl That Almost Married Clark Kent"

The richest girl in the world buys an amulet that allows her to read minds, subsequently reading Superman's, finding out his secret identity and courting him.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lana Lang, Superwoman!"

Superman gives Lana and Lois his super-powers through a blood transfusion in order to foil Brainiac's plans.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "How Lois Lane Got Her Job"

Lois recalls her first ever scoops and how Superman wasn't involved, even though he was.

Notes:

Issue #18, published July, 1960.
Issue #18, published July, 1960.

Story #1: "The Star Reporter of Metropolis!"

An actress--playing Lois Lane in the upcoming Daily Planet film--disguises herself as Velma to gain experience as a reporter.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Sleeping Doom!"

Aliens invade Earth by taking control of people's bodies when they sleep, kind of like in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. This story made me tired, for some reason.

Notes:

• Jimmy Olsen counted super-feats within Superman's capabilities.
  • Superman learned an alien language with his "super-intelligence".
  • Superman melted the space jewels, and only the space jewels, with his X-ray Vision by emitting it at a certain heat frequency.

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lois Lane Weds Astounding Man!"

Lois gets tricked into marrying a chemical robot.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #19, published August, 1960.
Issue #19, published August, 1960.

Story #1: "The Day Lois Lane Forgot Superman!"

Lois is hypnotized to forget Superman and falls in love with Clark... again.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Superman of the Past!"

Lois goes back in time, or dreams she does, and falls in love with Samson: The Superman of the Past.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Mr. and Mrs. Clark (Superman) Kent!"

An imaginary story about what may or may not come true... Superman and Lois's marriage.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue had some pretty good feats.

Issue #20, published October, 1960.
Issue #20, published October, 1960.

Story #1: "Superman's Flight from Lois Lane!"

Superman, tired of Lois, goes back in time to get a job away from her. Previously when Superman had gone through the time barrier, he was replaced by his younger self, but not this time for some reason.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Luckiest Girl in Metropolis!"

Some hoods trick Lois into thinking she's hearing prophetic voices that warn her of impending deaths they, unbeknownst to her, set up--which in turn make the entire scheme pointless.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lois Lane's Super-Daughter!"

The second in the imaginary series, Lois and Clark adopt Linda "Supergirl" Lee. It was a stupid story.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #21, published November, 1960.
Issue #21, published November, 1960.

Story #1: "The Lois Lane Doll (Part I) - The Dolls of Doom!"

The Anti-Superman Gang cons Lois into approving a doll line of herself, with the intention of blowing up Superman's Fortress of Solitude. Ignorantly, the gang ships Lois off to the fortress, where she shrinks herself into Kandor to survive.

Notes:

"The Lois Lane Doll (Part II) - The Dolls of Doom!"

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #2: "The Battle Between Super-Lois and Super-Lana!"

Lois and Lana obtain super-powers from a magical lake, whereby they predictably use them to court Superman.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure how many people are following my updates, but I've been too busy to the past few days. I did a respect thread for Christopher Reeve here, who I think is relevant to this project being that he was based off SA Superman. Even if you wanna get technical and classify him as BA Superman, or a variant thereof, BA Superman is SA Superman, just weaker, so it doesn't really matter. After that, I took a detour and did a bit of an analysis on Final Crisis and Superman Beyond 3D, mainly about Darkseid and Thought Robot. The break was nice, but I'm behind and anxious to catch up to where I should be. So I think six, or maybe seven entries between today and tomorrow should suffice. Before that though, I'd like to clarify my methodology.

Edit: Been having some computer problems, unfortunate delays inevitable.

I've been tempted to deviate from the Lois Lane series here and there, but I feel it's pertinent to power through the issues before switching to another serial, like Superboy. Once I finish every issue for this comic, I'll post--in this thread--an analysis of Superman based on everything I've noted down from each issue. I'll give my thoughts on his consistency, performances/feats, personality and things alike. After I do that, I'll switch to Superboy comics and do the same thing for them. Once I finish pretty much every Silver Age serial pertaining to Superman in some way, I'll call it a wrap and do one mega analysis. Then, finally, I'll make a separate, ultimate respect thread with a link here; which by then will have an index of all the analyses. Speaking of which, I just edited my first post to contain an analysis for every issue I've posted about so far, for everyone's convenience. I think that's about it, I hope people are still interested in this--I'll update regardless.

Issue #22, published January, 1961.
Issue #22, published January, 1961.

Story #1: "The Day When Superman Proposed!"

Superman is affected by red kryptonite, causing him to fall in love with and propose to Lois Lane.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane's X-Ray Vision!"

Lois's sunglasses gain X-ray vision through some barely explained plot device.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

• I'm disappointed by the sexism, but I should really expect it given the time period.
  • At least they got something right.

Story #3: "Sweetheart of Robin Hood!"

Lois went back in time, or dreamed it, and met Robin Hood.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #23, published February, 1961.
Issue #23, published February, 1961.

Story #1: "The 10 Feats of Elastic Lass!"

Lois suspects a sculptor is behind recent bombings, so she convinces Jimmy to let her use some of his serum to become Elastic Lass and prove her hunch.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Curse of Lena Thorul!"

Lois... as usual, takes things at face value and comes to the conclusion Luthor's sister is a witch.

Notes:

• Superman searched all of Metropolis, or at least a good chunk of it, and found Luthor's hideout in no time at all; thereafter using his Infra-red Vision to melt a ray gun that would had supposedly killed him.
  • Luthor wore the same clothes in his flashback...
  • Luthor wasn't such a bad guy; although his reasoning was nonsensical--how would they recognize Lena as an adult?
  • Lex spoke in the third person for some reason.

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Wife of Superman!"

Lois is treated like garbage. The man that became the world's greatest doctor in a couple of minutes can't give her super-powers? Despite a significant blood transfusion working as an enduring temporary solution? Right.

Notes:

Issue #24, published April, 1961.
Issue #24, published April, 1961.

Story #1: "The Super-Surprise!"

Some nobodies try to kill Superman and fail. Nothing really happens beyond some imaginative plot twist at the end.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Perfect Husband!"

Lois goes on a TV show where a machine analyzes personality traits and picks out an ideal "mate". The guy she ends up with throws a hissy about her finding out he's bald, running away. I'm pretty sure she doesn't really love Superman as much as she thinks she does.

Notes:

• I'm sure.
  • Because the way Superman looks has to do with his strength.
  • Superman became a pontoon instantaneously from over 30 feet away.
  • The wonders of seeing through walls and hearing distant conversations while underwater.
  • Superman was too quick for human eyes.

Letters to Lois:

• Good.
  • They're either perverted or delusional.
  • I didn't realize Superman was a woman.
  • Ha.
  • I feel like the Editor never met a "typical woman". More over, didn't he justify Superman not revealing his identity to Lois because she would reveal it, rather inadvertently or not?

Story #3: "Lois Lane... Traitor!"

A duplicate of Bizzaro-Lois inadvertently frames the real Lois...

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #25, published May, 1961.
Issue #25, published May, 1961.

Story #1: "Lois Lane and Superman, Newlyweds!"

Lois experiences a host of problems when she convinces Superman to announce their marriage to the world.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane's Darkest Secret!"

Lois attempts to foil a blackmailing ring, only for everything to go wrong and Superman to preemptively intervene.

Notes:

Right...

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Three Lives of Lois Lane!"

Lois goes to Africa to cover a minor uprising, implied to have been started by her, even though she couldn't had. In the midst of it all, she somehow loses her memory, believing herself to be famous people of the past. The story isn't concise about Lois's motivations until the end and often comes off as disingenuous, which I think is inadvertent given Superman's context clues.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I reformatted earlier entries and created separate sections for the Letters to Lois column.

Issue #26, published July, 1961.
Issue #26, published July, 1961.

Story #1: "The Day Superman Married Lana Lang!"

Superman, in an imaginary story, marries Lana Lang. Unlike Lois, she receives super-powers, which prove to be a burden as every other criminal ends up with pieces of kryptonite, prompting her to save her husband several times. As a result, she feels pity for him, which for some reason she cannot allow, so she runs away to another galaxy. An otherwise good story ruined by cultural norms of the time.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane's Childhood"

Kal-El saves Lois, from light-years away... as a toddler.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Mad Woman of Metropolis"

Some gangland thugs attempt to convince Lois she's mentally ill so she'll commit suicide.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #27, published August, 1961.
Issue #27, published August, 1961.

Story #1: "Lois Lane's Super-Brain!"

Lois flips a switch on the "brain bank" machine, giving her the knowledge of hundreds of great minds, at the expense of her beauty.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Battle of the Sisters!"

Lois, Jimmy and Lana assume Superman is courting Lucy, when in fact it's Bor-Jak from Kandor.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Last Days of Lois Lane!"

Lois is convinced she's dying of radiation poisoning, so she attempts to kill herself multiple times.

Notes:

Issue #28, published October, 1961.
Issue #28, published October, 1961.

Story #1: "The Lois Lane of the Future"

Luthor sends Superman into the future to get rid of him... despite how the Man of Steel breaks through the time barrier every other week.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane's Super-Lesson"

Superman helps out an Indian king to teach Lois a lesson--for using him--despite him being a womanizing, chauvinistic, polygamist.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lois Lane, Gun Moll"

Luthor kidnaps Lois and creates a robot of replica of her... somehow, perfect in nearly every way, engineered to commit crimes and exact revenge upon Superman.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #29, published November, 1961.
Issue #29, published November, 1961.

Story #1: "Lois Lane's Secret Identity"

Mr. Mxy casts a hex on Superman because she wrote an unfavorable article about him, forcing him to hate her and fall in love with her secret identity she uses to get scoops.

Notes:

Story #2: "The School for Scoops"

Lois is chosen to teach a course on reporting at local university, wherein racketeers attempt to snuff her out.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Irresistible Lois Lane"

Superman falls into a kryptonite trap set by some aliens near his fortress, so he tells Krypto with Super-Ventriloquism to alert Lois of the situation via Plan "L". Knowing she's under watch, Lois tricks the aliens by dipping her lipstick into red kryptonite fragments, a cure for kryptonite poisoning, and kisses a few JLA members, who in turn deliver the fragments to Superman.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

16 days later... yikes. I feel bad, but between computer problems and flat out not having one for an extended period of time, there's neither been time nor a way for me to update this thread. This is not so dissimilar to why I had an absence of entries earlier in the month (as I mentioned), but rest assured, I will do my best to make up for it this time. So, to mark my return, I decided I would make a special entry for this post, as well as your standard Lois Lane entries.

Does everyone remember in Action Comics when Superman tanked the Big Bang itself? No? What about the scans everyone tosses around saying either Pre-Crisis or SA Superman did it? Yeah, those ones. Even I had erroneously stated in the past on here the event transpired in the Silver Age. Thing is though, no one bothered to correct me, probably due to the fact that not many people are aware that particular event took place in the Bronze Age, in Action Comics #553. Now, Silver and Bronze Age Superman are the exact same person, it's just that the latter is significantly weaker. I'm creating this entry to clear up any confusion anyone might have, so it is a little bit of a departure, but not that big of one.

After reading this story arc, I was a bit confused. Bronze Age Superman tanking the Big Bang seemed so... odd, because it seems like such a Silver Age feat. It's somewhat made me want to make BA Superman the subject of my next analysis, but that too is an enormous task. So I think after I finish all this Silver Age stuff with Superman, I'll go for a lighter, less tedious job (i.e. SA Spectre).

Action Comics #552, published February, 1984.
Action Comics #552, published February, 1984.

First impressions:

• Art appears far more detailed.
  • Story is far more serious.
  • Narrative prose is more concise, far more eloquent.
  • Narration boxes are less redundant.
  • Dialogue is more down-to-earth.

Story: "Another Time! Another Death!"

Rip Hunter and group of others witness a mysterious temple that brings them each misfortune. As a result, they're assembled by Immortal Man to stop Superman from spreading Vandal Savage's time-seeds.

Notes:

Issue #553, published March, 1984.
Issue #553, published March, 1984.

Story: "The World At Time's End!"

Vandal Savage's goal is revealed: turning the Earth into a prehistoric, tropical paradise by harnessing the pyramids' powers. Immortal Man and the "Forgotten Heroes" set out to destroy the time pyramids in order to stop Savage, ultimate using Superman to destroy the final one at the beginning of time. One thing I'm unsure of about this issue is, did Superman destroy what the Big Bang could not? Why else would he need to destroy it then, since it was directly in the center?

Notes:

Issue #554, published April, 1984.
Issue #554, published April, 1984.

Story: "If Superman Didn't Exist"

As it turns out, an alien race incapable of violence planted the "power pyramids" in order to erase the idea of heroism and stunt everyone's imaginations. In doing so, the human race would be unable to resist and harm them. When Superman destroyed the power pyramid at the beginning of time, he initiated the effect and caused the ripple in the time stream. Fortunately enough, two kids reimagine him into the timeline, where he reverts everything back to normal.

Notes:

We know return to your regularly scheduled Lois Lane comics.

Issue #30, published January, 1962.
Issue #30, published January, 1962.

Story #1: "When Superman Abandoned Lois Lane!"

Superman attempts to teach Lois a lesson for being so impetuous, only for it to be spoiled by his pal Jimmy Olsen.

Notes:

Story #2: "Superman's Secret Family!"

Lois spots one of Superman's robots on another planet with a family, angrily assuming him to be the real Superman.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Robot Paradise!"

The origin of Superman X-3 and his situation are made clear.

Notes:

• Red kryptonite turned Superman into a phantom.
  • Death wasn't that rare in Silver Age stories.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #31, published February, 1962.
Issue #31, published February, 1962.

Story #1: "The Magic Spectacles!"

Lois obtains a pair of magic glasses once owned by Merlin, allowing her to see the true character of someone's personality (i.e. represented by an animal).

Notes:

Story #2: "The Jealous Lois Lane!"

Professor Potter invents a machine that registers emotions with a light bulb and bell. Lois, being a stubborn liar, states she wouldn't care if Superman married Lana, and wouldn't be jealous of anyone giving him affection. As a result, Perry has her wear the machine for a day following Superman's patrols.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Unforgettable Superman!"

Lois and Lana attempt to forget about Superman, realizing their expectations to be unrealistic.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #32, published April, 1962
Issue #32, published April, 1962

Story #1: "The Silver Coin of Fate!"

A perfect duplicate of Superman from Bizarro World attempts to marry Lois, who in turn has no idea he isn't the real Superman.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Widow in Black!"

Perry attempts to teach Lois a lesson by disguising himself as a criminal and putting her life in "danger".

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lois Lane's Revenge on Superman!"

Superman tries to grab a youth serum from Lois, spilling it on himself and becoming a child.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This entry is dedicated in memory of Noel Neill.

Issue #33, published May, 1962.
Issue #33, published May, 1962.

Story #1: "The Phantom Lois Lane!"

Lana's negative traits are amplified by a piece of space metal, prompting her to send Lois into the Phantom Zone in order to court Superman.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #2: "The Candid Camera Kid!"

Lois attempts to bust a counterfeit operation in a small town.

Notes:

Story #3: "Lois Lane, Slave Girl!"

In order to stop Lois from testifying at a trial, two crooks and a professor send Lois back to Ancient Rome with a time bomb.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #34, published July, 1962.
Issue #34, published July, 1962.

Story #1: "The Bride of Luthor! (Part I)"

Lois falls in love with a reformed Lex Luthor, marries him and has a child with him.

Notes:

"The Bride of Luthor! (Part II)"

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #2: "Lois Lane, Millionairess"

Lois falls prey to a scheme that never needed to involve her to get rid of Superman. In fact, had Lois not been involved, Clark never would've gotten in the car and discovered the kryptonite.

Notes:

Beta_Stage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wished I owned all of these issues. Even if some of them had...Questionable messages, to say the least. Anyway, awesome analysis!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beta_stage:Thanks, even though I haven't really done much of an analysis yet, as I don't have all the necessary information.

Issue #35, published August, 1962.
Issue #35, published August, 1962.

Story #1: "The Amazing Brain Machine!"

Professor Potter drops off his newest invention, MAINIAC, a supercomputer that can answer the world's greatest questions with ease, at Lois's apartment... as opposed to with Superman. So Lois abuses the privilege, receives a note revealing Superman's identity and destroys the machine in a fight with Lana. What doesn't make sense is why she heeded the machine's instructions and didn't look at the note, despite being so impetuous in all of the magazine's previous stories.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane's Other Life!"

Lois gets into a car accident and loses her memory.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Fantastic Wigs of Mr. Dupre!"

Lois investigates local charity swindlers, who in turn attempt to cleverly kill her.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #36, published October, 1962.
Issue #36, published October, 1962.

Story #1: "The Day Lois Lane Vanished!"

Lois returns home from vacation to find out she doesn't exist. Spoiler, she does exist.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Madam Jekyll of Metropolis!"

An explosion lances a beam of neutrons into some red kryptonite, affecting Lois in a way that unpredictably turns Lois into a wolf woman.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lana Lang's Romance with Superman III"

Superman marries Lois after inventing a serum to give her permanent super-powers. As a result, Lana becomes depressed and risks her life in a science experiment, ultimately being transported to the future where she meets Superman's and Lois's decedent, Superman III.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I forgot about the first Lois Land annual. A few of the stories are from the Lois Lane serial, whereas others are from its companion magazines. Eventually when I go over those, I'll do the same for what I'm doing for the stories I've covered.

Issue #1, published June, 1962.
Issue #1, published June, 1962.

Story #1: "Superboy Meets Lois Lane"

Lois meets Superboy for the first time at a summer camp near Smallville.

Notes:

Story #2: "The Leopard Girl of the Jungle"

Covered in issue #11.

Story #3: "Lois Lane's Super-Dream"

Lois falls and hits her head, knocking herself out. Details of her blood transfusion seep into her subconscious, thereby making her dream Superman transfused some of his blood, giving her super-powers.

Notes:

Story #4:"Lieutenant Lois Lane, U.S. Army!"

Covered in issue #6.

Story #5: "The Mermaid from Metropolis!"

Covered in issue #12.

Story #6:"Lois Lane... Traitor!"

Covered in issue #24.

Story #7:"The Cry-Baby of Metropolis"

Covered in issue #10.

Story #8: "The Man Who Was Clark Kent's Double"

Covered in issue #3.

Story #9: "Superman's Future Wife"

Lois visits a restored colonial village known for its witchcraft legends, wherein she ends up seeing Superman's future.

Notes:

FINALLY rftg5yu7ji9ol
FINALLY rftg5yu7ji9ol
  • A - Ugly.
  • B - Cute.
  • C. Hideous.
  • D. Cute.
  • F. Adorable.
  • E. Cute.

Funny how it worked out so that I had to cover three stories as usual.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #37, published November, 1962.
Issue #37, published November, 1962.

Story #1: "The Forbidden Box!"

Superman tests Lois's curiosity by giving her a gift she isn't allowed to open for a day.

Notes:

• Does she have to cry every time something doesn't go her way?

Story #2: "The Immortal Lois Lane!"

Lois dreams she goes back in time to 1530... or does she?

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "Lois Lane's Wedding Day!"

Lois attempts to expose a racket but ends up "marrying" Clark Kent in the process.

Notes:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue #38, published January, 1963.
Issue #38, published January, 1963.

Story #1: "The Invisible Lois Lane!"

Lois drinks a serum that makes her invisible, prompting her to spy on Clark.

Notes:

Story #2: "Lois Lane's Signal Watch!"

Lois gets conned into leading racketeers to stolen goods.

Notes:

Letters to Lois:

Story #3: "The Girl Who Refused to Marry Superman!"

Superman dreams he loses his powers.

Notes: