Red Trunks Rumors: A DC conspiracy

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jogga

http://insidepulse.com/2017/04/16/dc-comics-rebirth-spoilers-superman-artist-jon-bogdanove-talks-action-comics-1000-how-supes-red-modesty-briefs-shuster-family-lawsuit-may-play-into-it/

Jon Bogdanove claimed in his Facebook page:

"Hey, about this business with Superman’s shorts– or “The Modesty Briefs Affair”, wherein people, including me, have speculated that the reason Superman doesn’t wear red trunks anymore is because Siegel and Shuster’s heirs figuratively “sued the pants off him” (to quote a FB pal): I want to reconfirm that everything I have said, and will say here, is just that—SPECULATION. It is based entirely on rumors I have heard from various current and former DC folks and other people inside the industry. Let me reaffirm: I could be wrong.

"But since when has that ever stopped anyone on social media? So, in true Donald Trump fashion, here’s what I think happened to The Man of Steel’s pants:

"(Remember, this is all distilled in my head from an assortment of inside rumors and confidences from within the industry. I COULD BE WRONG. But please feel free to get worked up, if that’s what you’re here for.)

"Someday, I would love to read the settlement that finally ended the nearly 70 years long legal struggle of Superman’s creators and their surviving heirs, to recoup a bigger share of the profits generated by their invention. I’d at least like to read a summarized brief of Warner’s legal arguments over the years. My guess is that one of the provisions of the settlement is that the heirs are enjoined from speaking about it, and I wouldn’t expect Warners to either. So we may never know.

"Ultimately, I think this final chapter of the war— this final case— came down to a fine-tooth, point-for-point argument over specifically which defining characteristics of Superman were actually created by Jerry and Joe before they came to DC and started laboring as “work-for-hire”.

"For example, Superman’s red boots replaced his Greek lace-ups AFTER Jerry and Joe signed him over. Likewise, the “S” emblem continued to evolve from the original while Jerry and Joe were under contract, as did much of his likeness and appearance– EXCEPT for the modesty briefs. Apparently, that’s the one original characteristic that persisted unchanged from before the boys ever approached DC until the resolution of this case.

"As a result, the briefs are the one thing Jerry and Joe’s family were able to hold onto– or regain. DC can’t use the pants without paying the heirs a little something— or so I’m told. Word on the street is that someone at DC or Warners is angrily determined never to pay for those shorts, so off they came!

"Now, there is also buzz that Dan Jurgens, and others in the company, have campaigned hard in favor of the traditional, classic, populist brand, appearance and costume– and that Diane Nelson or someone up top recognizes the dollar value of that brand as being worth much more than what it costs to rent the shorts from the heirs.

"This buzz suggests that Superman will be restored to his true self in ACTION #1000– which would be awesome in the extreme— an historic comics event tantamount to “The Death of Superman”. I think it would heal and restore a great deal more than just #Superman. I think the effects would be restorative across the industry. I would expect a revamp and revitalization of the movie franchises to stem from it, eventually– worth millions in revenue.

"Again, just rumors and speculation. I could be wrong. Have I mentioned that yet?

But, checking out the vibe at DC these days, I have to say I detect a gathering of life force. I think DC is getting its head out of the old “everything must be Batman” days and getting its mojo back, folks. Mark my words and stay tuned!"

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

This rumor has been going on in one way or another since the New 52 and it made the rounds again with Truth.

Its totally believable. And its been known that people inside DC have been campaigning for the trunks to come back. Its so easy to notice really, look at all the covers and art that have Superman's crotch area hidden. They know the suit doesn't work without them.

Jakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jakai

I'm sure they'd be willing to pay whatever royalty to have the red trunks back in for 1 issue

But if I'm understanding this right, basically DC owns the rights to the character... but Siegel's and Shuster's heirs own the right to the underpants...

I'd like to know if DC was still paying the heirs during things like Justice League Unlimited show and stuff. Or like the Earth One graphic novels. Or is it because the characters from shows and graphic novels come from a different universe, they can actually be considered a different character altogether, allowing him to wear whatever he wants?

Regardless, I would only be okay with them reappearing once. I wouldn't want them to return indefinitely because I still think the underpants are dated.

Avatar image for general_disarray
General_Disarray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Looks better without them imo too retro.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better off without them.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: some new 52 art even has him looking like he has BLUE trunks

Superman's iconography is here to stay. And that includes the trunks.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That may be a small factor, but the overall reason is just that DC wanted to modernize the suit. Simple and clear. Hell, Zach Snyder said in an interview that he did have costume designers make sketches of the suit with the trunks for MoS, but none of them worked.

Anyone has to admit that the briefs look kind of silly and people always made fun of them. Same reason why they stopped having the Robins having their legs exposed and gave them full pants.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jogga

Zack Snyder is hardly a solid authority when it comes to the Superman costumes, considering his methods to "modernize" involves MUTING THE COLORS.

Of coarse it looks silly. Even the Richard Donnar movies and the Animated Shows made fun of how ridiculous it looks. It's always going to look silly. How can it not? It's a colorful, skintight jumpsuit with boots and a cape.

I rather embrace it, rather than keep on being ashamed and embarrassed of being what it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope not, I hope they can it in Earth one too.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Trunks appear again in this week's big spread in Trinity

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RDClip

@jogga: Zach Snyder and all the producers didn't want the trunks (including Christopher Nolan) They tried various designs with them, but none worked.

It looks silly and that is the problem. DC wants to make Superman cool and it's nearly impossible to do that with the trunks. While some comic fans may still like them, the general audience would be hard pressed to take it seriously.

Batman also used to wear trunks over his tights, but no one seemed to care when he lost those. I don't really get why they are so much more important to Supes than to Bats (or Deathstroke or Hal Jordan or Robin or all the other character that used to have trunks as part of their costume)

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jogga

@rdclip: Like I said, Zack Snyder is hardly a good authority when it comes to costumes. That INCLUDES all the people whom he worked with in the movie, Christopher Nolan is not exempt from this just because he made good Batman films. If anything, one would find it to be the opposite considering how different the characters are.

Let me repeat myself here. Zack Snyder and the rest of the crew thought it would be a good idea to DILUTE the COLOR out of their vibrancy. Snyder even said himself after that Henry looked like Superman with the classic look, so much so that nobody even thought of making fun of it.

Why do people care about the Trunks on Superman than they do about other comicbook characters? Gee, maybe because the ENTIRE costume is iconic, unlike Batman who almost always has his costume redesigned, even down to the Bat symbol on his chest.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: I'd argue most comic readers prefer no trunks. Not just Snyder, who created a solid design for his costume whether you like the colors or no.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: It's not just Snyder, DC comics thought the trunks were outdated. I think us fan can still appreciate the iconic nature of the trunks, but it would be lost on the general audience. They think it looks silly and has been the butt of jokes for decades. Like I said, they want to make Superman cool and bright red trunks (or underwear as a lot of people call them) over his tights don't exactly add to that.

Up until recently, Batman always had trunks on his costume, just as long as Supes. And FYI Superman's suit has changed throughout the years, including his insignia (not as much as Batman, but they still changed)

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jogga

@rdclip: I know it's not just Snyder. I stated just as much. Read what I posted, because a lot of the points you are making are things that I already addressed

@scouterv: Most comic readers? You wanna open THAT jar of worms? Sure, let's talk about most Comic readers, and how most of them frequently read the Injustice comics more than the New 52 comics, where Superman is a murderer and wears what can only be described as a red Thong.

Also the design's look is subjective at best. But the lack of color was an undeniable swing and a miss that almost EVERYBODY complained about. It was even addressed multiple times by DC