SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SpinnerComix
No Caption Provided

I've always wondered this, just like many others have. I don't know if this has been explained before, but here is my theory:

Superman draws his power from the Sun right? And since he has trained in Torquasm-Vo and Rao, maybe he uses this mental capacity to create a telekinetic pathway between the Sun and the object he is shooting at. Since he hasn't always been trained in those, his heat vision was weaker but he still had this mental capacity superior to that of a normal human. Similar to how humans for some reason can cause people to "feel" stares. Since humans also draw certain amounts of energy from the Sun, maybe Superman just uses that ability to a much bigger degree (see what I did there? Heat? Degree? Ugh, why do I try)

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

From what I read in comics, explanation behind heat vision is rather simple.

It exactly as it sounds, ability to release solar energy stored within Kryptonian body through the eyes (several times it was hinted that heat vision consists of concentrated infra-red light, but nothing was really confirmed). Considering that massive bursts of heat vision often said to leave Superman drained I think it safe to assume that there no pathway between Sun and the object he is “heating”. Of course now after introduction of solar flare (which is said to be enhanced version of heat vision) it's only second-most draining Kryptonian ability.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's Kryptonian physiology. I ain't gotta explain sh*t.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zandalf

lazerzzz

clearmist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The character was created to be unique without considering the justification or consequences. Superman's general strength has been lowered a lot since his creation to make him more weak so that drama could be extracted from watching him struggle against foes his earlier incarnation would have easily defeated in a single page. Superman used to have super-everything. He read books fast, he thought of 12 chess moves ahead, he could invent new technologies... Flight, strength, willpower, incorruptibility, heat vision and super breath are what DC has been shackled with because these are the memorable powers that our society remembers. There is no explanation as to how heat vision works because one is not needed.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spinnercomix:

It's your theory and I respect it has such. But I don't agree with it.

Let me explain why, and later I'll give you mine.

The greatest problem with your theory resides in the kryptonian art of Torquasm-Vo/Rao. Not all versions of Superman knew that art, in fact most versions don't know that art. That alone blows your theory away. And another thing. I know that many people defend the whole kryptonian hypermetabolism of yellow sunlight thing, but I dont. Why? Because it makes little to no sense, knowing what we know about physics and genetics, it's amazing people still defend it. But whatever works, right. Either way, the fact of a body absorving sunlight and processing it its quite normal, but releasing that energy through the eyes is strange at best. Think about it. Our eyes are actually very weak in terms or energy storage, if you look at someone using a thermal camera you'll notice that the eyes are actually one the coldest parts of the human body. So imagining a being with a body that can somehow hypermetabolize sunlight to the point he gains godlike powers, and releases that energy in the form of heat through his eyes it's very, very unlikely. Through the hands it would be more natural, but the eyes... Unlikely.

Here's my theory... Kryptonians so called hypermetabolism is actually a form of bio-superconductivity, that's only activated when the body is exposed to a specific kinds of sunlight. Because has you know the main difference in stars its their size/color that it's more easily represented by the spectrum lines of each type of stars. This bio-superconductivity/hypermetabolism enhances both physical and mental abilities to godlike levels, has such kryptonian powers are actually a mix of the physical energy stored and the mental manipulation of that same energy. To simplify it, a energy/psionic manipulation/manifestation.

And heat vision is exactly that. Superman uses telekinesis to manipulate the immense energy he has stored inside him, and allows him to tune to specific frequencies, like those of the EM spectrum, but only at a nearly subconscious level. Which would explain why he has so limited control over how he can manipulate that energy and release it. Has we see through our eyes, its only natural that mentally it would be more easy and natural to manifest that energy through his eyes, and not just any other part of his body. And has he grows older, more powerful, gains experience, and learns more about himself, in time he'll be able to do more. Like with this Solar Flare power that he now has. It's not that Superman became more powerful, he simply was forced to push himself past the limits he was accustomed to, and that allowed his mind and body to adapt and react by granting him access to a power he always had, but couldn't use it before that.

Basicaly physical/mental powers.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is somewhat off topic and I hate to bring this debate here since I know people are sick of Superman vs DB related stuff but I have wondered this for a while so I am just going to ask...

Superman's heat vision is heat, meaning it burns. So if he were to burn something with it, there should be some sort of smoke, right? I see people say that he could beat Buu with his heat vision, but Buu can regenerate from smoke. I don't just don't see how he could beat him with heat vision. Sure he could pummel him into mush and then heat vision him, but it will burn which will make smoke, where he will regenerate.

Or am I missing something?

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
KryptonianPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: Supermans heat vision is hotter than the cores of suns, has anyone in DBZ even remotely come close to surviving that level of heat and energy, not even broly could, although that character is non-canon. Whats Buu going to regenerate from if every molecule of him is disintegrated.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Blade_R

@blade_r: Supermans heat vision is hotter than the cores of suns, has anyone in DBZ even remotely come close to surviving that level of heat and energy, not even broly could, although that character is non-canon. Whats Buu going to regenerate from if every molecule of him is disintegrated.

I know its hot and could burn Buu down, but as it burns him it will be emitting smoke, which Buu can regenerate from.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r:

Then how do you explain Buu didn't survived the Spirit Bomb.

By your logic then Buu would've turned to smoke and survived it.

All Superman would need to do was fire a widespread heat vision beam, and not even smoke would come out, because every particle of Buu's body would be disintegrated.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blade_R

@blade_r:

All Superman would need to do was fire a widespread heat vision beam, and not even smoke would come out, because every particle of Buu's body would be disintegrated.

Because nothing suggests the Spirit Bomb burns like heat vision, it completely erased him and every trace of him. I do think that last part can work though, if he could do it wide enough so that every single particle was burnt into absolutely nothing and not even smoke comes out it would make sense.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:
@heavenlydarkdragon said:

@blade_r:

Because nothing suggests the Spirit Bomb burns like heat vision, it completely erased him and every trace of him. I do think that last part can work though, if he could do it wide enough so that every single particle was burnt into absolutely nothing and not even smoke comes out it would make sense.

To be honest I don't think anyone knows what the spirit bomb actually does.

We know it uses lifeforce energy, so like almost everything DB, it's Ki based. When it stroke Vegeta it acted like lightning, but in that case it was only a small sphere. Against Freeza, besides from a few bruises it didn't do anything else, and against Buu, it simply seemed to desintegrate that small huge headacke.

Still think it could've been done better, but that's off topic.

Either way, Superman heat vision has been proven to desintegrate entire planets if he really puts in the effort. So a shrimp like Buu would be even easier.