Frank Miller wants to write a Superman comic with Batman as the villain!

• 89 results
Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Squalleon

Frank doing a Superman comic would be awesome! And Batman as the villain would be enough to calm people. Although I would prefer to be a Superman story, not a reaction to dark knight.

So while he again affirmed that Brian Azzarello is the actual writer of Dark Knight 3: The Master Race, he told us about a project he would like to create similar to the Dark Knight but focused on Superman. But a story in which Batman. Bruce Wayne, is the bad guy.

From Bleeding Cool, check the rest there.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For people that will outrage, think about it.

At worst you have another Miller story that no one cares about, at BEST you have a masterpiece.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

No thanks.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Xaos

What ? Miller still alive ?

Sorry, but I'm not gonna be happy about this writing project.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos said:

What ? Miller still alive ?

Sorry, but I'm not gonna be happy about this writing project.

No thanks.

His Atom mini comic had great art and true Miller writing. If that's a sample of the quality he will bring to his future projects I don't see why anyone wouldn't want it.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: So he wants to make Superman be psychotic and hallucinating like Batman was in The Dark Knight Returns. But then again, either it is what I expect or it will be better than what I expect.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: So he wants to make Superman be psychotic and hallucinating like Batman was in The Dark Knight Returns. But then again, either it is what I expect or it will be better than what I expect.

A ridiculous claim, but I understand you are joking.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UltimateSMfan

On the one hand i'm thinking what is Frank smoking? On the other i'm thinking if he brings the kind of writing and social commentary he brought to the dark knight returns and applied that to Superman it could be great along with Bats as the antagonist this time. But then there's that third freak growth of a vestigial extra limb that is Frank Miller's well known, proclaimed hatred for Superman.

That third reason is really making me look at this news and go, huh? And, hell no!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the one hand i'm thinking what is Frank smoking? On the other i'm thinking if he brings the kind of writing and social commentary he brought to the dark knight and applied that to Superman it could be great along with Bats as the antagonist this time. But then there's that third freak growth of a vestigial extra limb that is Frank Miller's well known, proclaimed hatred for Superman.

That third reason is really making look at this news and go, huh? And, hell no!

The guy likes Superman. He always mentioned the reason he is so hard on him was that he was writing from Batman's POV. He was about to REBOOT Superman in the 80s! And he took part in various stories as an artists or a cover artists. Hell, he mentioned he loved even the silly stories of the fifties when it comes to Superman and he has defended the character in various questions lately.

He doesn't hate Superman in the slightest.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got bored to defending Frank.

But seriously guys, think long term,please.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand you and you made some point, Miller got some moves, but I grew to dislike some of his late work... and I don't want to be rude, but after seeing how unhealty he looked lately, long term seems more and more like a luxury he can't afford. :(

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By UltimateSMfan
Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos said:
@squalleon said:

I understand you and you made some point, Miller got some moves, but I grew to dislike some of his late work... and I don't want to be rude, but after seeing how unhealty he looked lately, long term seems more and more like a luxury he can't afford. :(

I didn't meant that. I meant that you have nothing to lose even if the story is bad and whining about Miller without giving the guy a chance is really wrong. He has done some great works and it is one of the most influential writers/artists ever, having the chance to see him do Superman should make everyone happy, despite the result.

Worth to mention that he seems a lot better in terms of health. He can walk on his own now, he talks better and his art is top notch again!

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noo keep miller away from superman

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah i noticed this, even made me think i got the guy wrong, but then i heard other things in interviews and i thought maybe he respects the idea of the character but still doesn't like it. I didn't know all the stuff you mentioned above though, the reboot stuff, that was news to me.

Nah, he likes him. He has defended him a lot, especially lately, and he always makes his comments clear that he writes him as the bad guy because he writes Batman and HE thinks these two shouldn't get along in HIS world because of Bruce's issues.

Plus like I said above, he has done some great works and it is one of the most influential writers/artists ever, having the chance to see him do Superman should intrigue everyone, despite the result.

And he can do lighthearted too as we saw in Big Guy and Rusty.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos said:
@squalleon said:

I didn't meant that. I meant that you have nothing to lose even if the story is bad and whining about Miller without giving the guy a chance is really wrong. He has done some great works and it is one of the most influential writers/artists ever, having the chance to see him do Superman should make everyone happy, despite the result.

Worth to mention that he seems a lot better in terms of health. He can walk on his own now, he talks better and his art is top notch again!

Good for him ! :)

Maybe bad for comics ? More seriously, we shall see. After all, we aren't obligated to buy that, but untill then, I remain skeptical.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DieHard200904

@squalleon said:
@diehard200904 said:

A ridiculous claim, but I understand you are joking.

Yeah, I am hardly ever serious. I just notice that often Miller creates a dark environment where you are essentially forced to be dark to fight evil. Either way, the premise of having Superman be the protagonist in a Miller work sounds interesting. The second half of what I said was true, it can only be so low, or it exceeds my expectations.

90mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh no thank you

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. He's too in-love with Batman to follow through. Look at the Batman/Spawn fight he wrote. I entirely doubt that, after his later duds, he's suddenly going to treat other heroes that aren't Batman anywhere but decent.

Not to mention that we, as Superman fans, should've learnt that having an evil superhero trope to make the other hero look good is incredibly petty.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xaos said:
@squalleon said:

To be fair, Miller had chances. It's the general consensus that Frank probably shouldn't be writing Superman. He's good, but I feel having Frank write Superman is like letting a prized race horse fix a merry go round. He'll try his best, but ultimately I'm going to suggest going with...well, not a horse...to fix the merry go round. Frank will likely try to do a good Superman story, but I just have no reason to think it would turn out well.

He's a great race horse and does what he's meant to do well. However, fixing merry-go-rounds and writing for Superman are things probably left to...not a horse. Even a prize winning, triple crown champion race horse.

He could probably do something interesting with...Wonder Woman instead? Lord knows she's overdue for some big-time spotlight what with BvS coming out and all.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Black_Arrow

@squalleon: That's not spanish, It's Brazilian portuguese.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ultimatesmfan said:

Yeah i noticed this, even made me think i got the guy wrong, but then i heard other things in interviews and i thought maybe he respects the idea of the character but still doesn't like it. I didn't know all the stuff you mentioned above though, the reboot stuff, that was news to me.

That's pretty understandable, though. You can utterly adore a concept, but you can loathe the execution. I'm sorta similar when it comes to Superman, so I understand where Frank comes from in this respect.

Also, Batman as a full-on bad guy is a long overdue concept. Throw in his prep time legend, and the dude would basically become DC's Dr. Doom. And I say this as a Batman fan.

That being said, it's absolutely hilarious that all Miller had to do was drop some soundbites about writing a Superman story where Batman gets his shit kicked in instead for him to suddenly be alright in Superman fans' eyes. Forget Lex Luthor and Brainiac, Batman is Superman's greatest nemesis now, courtesy of his fanboys and fangirls.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan said:

That being said, it's absolutely hilarious that all Miller had to do was drop some soundbites about writing a Superman story where Batman gets his shit kicked in instead for him to suddenly be alright in Superman fans' eyes. Forget Lex Luthor and Brainiac, Batman is Superman's greatest nemesis now, courtesy of his fanboys and fangirls.

Everyone still hates the idea. So I don't know where you are getting that from. That's why I even phrased the title of the thread like this, so people might not be as negative. And still nope.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO. Na keep that man away from anything Superman, hell batman too, DC period.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cool. If the quality of the story would be like Millar's work on DD, Returns and Year One then hell yeah.

Not looking forward to a All Star and Strikes again Miller.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure why not but I wonder what the angle will be 99% vs 1%? Bruce obviously being the 1%

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked the way Miller wrote superman in the past.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool. If the quality of the story would be like Millar's work on DD, Returns and Year One then hell yeah.

Finally someone who isn't completely negative on the concept.

Yes, I really would prefer that Miller too. Have you read his mini-comic in TDKIII 1? The art and the writing certainly fit the first category.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By suemorphplus209

@squalleon: Yes, exactly, thank you for the news, I hope that Miller writes it about a fighter Superman, which is how it seems he would do it. Plus if Batman was a villain, I doubt it is just a rogue Batman, I am thinking maybe he has some heavyweight JL members on his side too. Wow, I was surprised to hear this. Sounds like something to keep eyes open for.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Too little to late Miller. But honestly, a Batman villain story is long overdue. I don't know why, but I would like the death of Joker to be something that causes Batman to turn.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe Alan Grant wrote an evil Batman story in a Shadow of the Bat annual and then there is Catwoman: Guardian of Gotham too,also to call TDKR Batman a hero would be a stretch and ASBAR Batman is far cry from hero in my eyes.

Villain Batman by Miller would likely be something like Dr Doom and I dont mean that as a compliment,Doom is a one trick pony with the same tired gimmick.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@orangebat said:

@ultimatesmfan said:

Everyone still hates the idea. So I don't know where you are getting that from. That's why I even phrased the title of the thread like this, so people might not be as negative. And still nope.

I wasn't really talking on here specifically, but more across the Internet in general, where, while there are still people lukewarm to the idea, many seem to be actively excited about the "Superman as the hero, Batman as the villain" concept.

That being said, Batman as a villain works much better than Superman, because with Batman you can do the whole "shadowy, manipulative, psychopathic bastard" angle to a degree that you can't really do as well with Superman.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

Finally someone who isn't completely negative on the concept.

Yes, I really would prefer that Miller too. Have you read his mini-comic in TDKIII 1? The art and the writing certainly fit the first category.

Got your back Squall ;)

I haven't read the mini comic. I'm waiting for the paperback collection of the series before I read it. Gonna fit nicely with all of my other Batman by Miller books. But I've heard that the first issue and mini comic were quite good so I'm hopeful.

Bat_SAINT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I wouldn't be surprised and I would love every second of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frank Miller already wrote Batman as a villain.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Bottom gif says it all. I don't know. Sorry Squall, I'm normally more positive then this but Miller would have to do something really impressive to pull me in. Like Daredevil or Year One. Cautiously optimistic.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Superman will have to deal with two lex luthers now? Easy Pass.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares about Batman as the villain?

The point is that one of the most important writers of American Comics might do a Superman project if he gets the chance. The result doesn't really matter.

I mean doesn't that sound appealing at all? At least it will finally answer the question people ask Miller of the time, "If he gets Superman". Out of curiosity alone I would really love to see that. And you never know what Miller might bring to the table.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

First of all. Batman is a horrible villain for superman. Batman beats Superman, thats an amazing archievement showing a hero overcoming odds staked incredibly against him to fight for what is right. Superman beats Batman, who cares he is the obvious outcome even if you put Batman in a robotsuit, who gives a shit.

Second. Miller didn't write Batman or Superman right for some time now.

Third if Miller only wrote Superman the way he did, to make Batman look better, best case scenario he makes Batman look bad to make Superman look better. The one thing that tells us is that maybe Miller should just get an actual villain as the bad guy in his story.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Translation:

It is no secret that public appearances by Frank Miller are increasingly scarce. Even though he's a bit more public in recent years, the legendary comic artist remains reserved and very promptly of events involving his work.

The same was true in 2015 CCXP, who scored his first-and maybe only-welcome to Brazil.

Frank Miller was honest in all your answers, were they to mediator's questions the table, Marcelo Hessel, or the public present.

In front of more than 21000 people, Miller recalled his childhood – when promised mother, the 5-year-old, who would work with comics-told as accepted any little job for publishers to become a comic artist of truth and even talked about movies.

Miller remembered when he arrived at Marvel without any experience to make a Spider-Man story. Soon, he had contact with daredevil and that changed his life. Despite the great fondness for character and for its creation, Elektra, the author hasn't felt like watching the show produced by Netflix. Instead, he prefers not to have contact with this material. And when asked about the presence of the character in the second season of the program, Frank Miller stated: "they can do whatever they want, it's not her. Not the real ". When asked about feel like father of the character, Miller said "Yes, I'm her father." The audience applauded.

Batman was the most discussed topic of the Panel, for obvious reasons. Frank Miller is releasing Dark Knight III: The Master Race in the country, even though the comic has not date out here. The relationship between the author and the Man-Bat is long, and has no end date. "I've always preferred the Batman to the super-powerful people", he said.

After restating that DK III is a story by Brian Azzarello that has just blessed him. The newly announced Dark Knight IV has not been commented out.

When the Panel was open for questions from fans, many were nervous to talk to legendary comic artist. One of them stole the attention of the Panel. Very excited and with a comic of 300 of Sparta in the hands, the fan couldn't make your question the way you cried. Managed to just get an autograph for Miller readily granted and idol signature and a selfie. The fan won the day-probably the year-and the author was visibly happy to take this attitude.

A fan asked Miller if he already had a new project triggered after Dark Knight III, and the comic artist reaffirmed what he has said in some interviews – a new comic book of Sin City, called Sin City: 1945, that will happen at the end of World War II and will show a secret agent against Nazis. Further details of the plot were not revealed.

If the reader is wondering, the title of this story is not there for nothing. After answering a few questions about your characterization of Superman, Frank Miller revealed that will still make a story starring the man of steel in which Batman is the guy going bad. "I'm thinking of a story with Superman in the Batman is the bad guy," he said, which was followed by applause.

Fans can't wait.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Thanks a lot!

I have noticed he really gets attached to his material. And I like that. He mentioned before how attached he feels to Carrie Kelly since she is the closest thing he has to a child.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

I completely agree.

He has a connection to both his work and people that's not usually seen. It feels genuine and that's one of the things I like more about him.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On one hand the prospect of Batman owning everyone and having to be stopped by flipping Superman does make me drool somewhat but on the other hand I'm seeing All-Star all over this.

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Blonde Ambition: Axum Quills!

This is great news. There have been a lot of developments in the universe of Superman since that fearful time when comic book writers decided to write about the Man of Steel's death at the brutal hands of the ominous Doomsday. Prior to that, the only Superman-demise stories we were familiar with were those involving kryptonite.

Brandon Routh got passed over in favor of Henry Cavill for the upcoming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice [2016] film, but now we can ask offbeat questions like, "What if Superman had blonde hair?"

In my humble opinion, it was the stories about the love affair and relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman that resurrected the Man of Steel from the ashes of public graveyards following his Doomsday-battle death.

Frank Miller is a welcomed additive in the recent Superman resurgence in comic books and media. Batman: Year One (Miller) was no small achievement, so maybe a Miller-penned Superman vs. Batman storyline could, hypothetically, yield an offbeat movie adaptation starring Brandon Routh as Superman again and this time...with blonde hair(?!) and maybe an actor such as Chris Hemsworth as the Dark Knight.

Bring the noise!

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

No Caption Provided

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On one hand the prospect of Batman owning everyone and having to be stopped by flipping Superman does make me drool somewhat but on the other hand I'm seeing All-Star all over this.

As I said in the OP I would prefer for Miller to actually be interested into doing a Superman story rather than a reaction to Dark Knight. But I really want to see what he will do with the character if he is the "hero" of the story.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jogga

@squalleon said:

The point is that one of the most important writers of American Comics might do a Superman project if he gets the chance. The result doesn't really matter.

I mean doesn't that sound appealing at all? At least it will finally answer the question people ask Miller of the time, "If he gets Superman". Out of curiosity alone I would really love to see that. And you never know what Miller might bring to the table.

Erm, I would be somewhat exited if this was Year One-Daredevil Frank. But it isn't. This is Post-DK2-Holly Terror Frank Millar.

This is a guy whose done some horrible, horrible storylines, downright racist too. I don't need another "Legendary Author" who just doesn't get it when it comes to Superman. It happened with Brian Azzarello and Scott Snyder, and all they have done is some sireouse disappointments as a result. I don't need obvious bad quality, I've had enough with "Truth" as is.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:
@squalleon said:

Erm, I would be somewhat exited if this was Year One-Daredevil Frank. But it isn't. This is Post-DK2-Holly Terror Frank Millar.

This is a guy whose done some horrible, horrible storylines, downright racist too. I don't need another "Legendary Author" who just doesn't get it when it comes to Superman. It happened with Brian Azzarello and Scott Snyder, and all they have done is some sireouse disappointments as a result. I don't need obvious bad quality, I've had enough with "Truth" as is.

So? You will just have another disappointment that will be forgotten. Why deny yourself the POSSIBILITY of a good story, I will never now.

After all, its not like the story is gonna undermine Superman if its bad, everyone laugh's at "At Earth's End" it didn't hurt Superman, neither did Red/Blue and in the end of the day neither will "Truth" and the problem with the last one is that it is just wasted TIME but Miller wants to write an out of continuity title so that's a separate book, it won't affect the "normal" ones .
Lastly as you said this is Post-Holy terror Miller, so at worst you have a story-line that will be forgotten and despised and no one will give a second look because of Miller's bad reputation and at best a masterpiece.

So again, I just find that thinking illogical.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jogga

@squalleon said:
@jogga said:
@squalleon said:

So? You will just have another disappointment that will be forgotten. Why deny yourself the POSSIBILITY of a good story, I will never now.

After all, its not like the story is gonna undermine Superman if its bad, everyone laugh's at "At Earth's End" it didn't hurt Superman, neither did Red/Blue and in the end of the day neither will "Truth" and the problem with the last one is that it is just wasted TIME but Miller wants to write an out of continuity title so that's a separate book, it won't affect the "normal" ones .

Lastly as you said this is Post-Holy terror Miller, so at worst you have a story-line that will be forgotten and despised and no one will give a second look because of Miller's bad reputation and at best a masterpiece.

So again, I just find that thinking illogical.

Because they are slim to none. That's just a waste of paper, of the brand, my money, and, most importantly, my time. Not to mention that this guy just doesn't like Superman.

I don't understand why you think I should be ecstatic about a writer that not only expressed his resentment to the character but hasn't been a decent writer for more than 15 years.

Either way, there is nothing for me to be exited about. Honestly.