Ever Wonder What a Frank MIller Origin WOuld Look Like?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Was Dark Knight 3 any good? Miller has done plenty great work and he seems to regret the damage DKR did to Superman, but everything I've heard about his recent work sounds like either a brilliant comedy or an insane attempt at drama.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Billy Batson

Kino even if I'm not interested in origin stories

BB

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

To give an opportunity to write a comic about Superman to those who hate Superman is the most stupid decision of DC.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's an interview he gave on the matter

I've got a new Superman project that’s getting started, telling his origins. It’s like my book, Batman: Year One, it’s going to be Superman: Year One,” Miller told Vulture. “It’s going to be telling origins from when Pa Kent discovers him in the cornfield. And the little boy grows to youth and then to manhood….I’ve never really had my meaningful crack at Superman. In the cast of DC Comics, which has far and away the strongest and richest mythology, there are those three pillars they have of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman

link- http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/07/23/frank-miller-to-write-a-superman-origin-story/

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WTF DC WTF?!?!?!?!

Is Clark going to spend the whole story crying that he's not as cool as the GODDAMN BATMAN.

I don't get it, Frank Miller's prime was decades ago and there are other great writers who people and companies now ignore. No one is calling up Chris Claremont or John Byrne, but when he makes a new announcement, DC acts like Miller is going to produce another Batman Year One. Why does Miller still get attention when all he's done for the better part of twenty years is ruin his legacy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a terrible idea

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Was Dark Knight 3 any good? Miller has done plenty great work and he seems to regret the damage DKR did to Superman, but everything I've heard about his recent work sounds like either a brilliant comedy or an insane attempt at drama.

What damage? Putting him in a political storyline that didn't baby him? Or the damage done by stupid people who think The Dark Knight Return is just 234 pages of Bruce castrating Kal.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat

tbh I'm interested in reading it for comedic purposes more than anything.

@saintwildcard said:

He's an interview he gave on the matter

I've got a new Superman project that’s getting started, telling his origins. It’s like my book, Batman: Year One, it’s going to be Superman: Year One,” Miller told Vulture. “It’s going to be telling origins from when Pa Kent discovers him in the cornfield. And the little boy grows to youth and then to manhood….I’ve never really had my meaningful crack at Superman. In the cast of DC Comics, which has far and away the strongest and richest mythology, there are those three pillars they have of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman

link- http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/07/23/frank-miller-to-write-a-superman-origin-story/

and he's going to intentionally mess each one up beyond repair smh. How does this dude keep finding work!?

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quinlan58

@tvc-15: Making a character whose first ever appearence called him the "Champion of the Opressed" and then showed him breaking into a governor's house (and punching his buttler) and then tailing and physically threatening a lobbyist and a corrupt congressman into a government lapdog? Granted, Miller was hardly the first to do that (the earliest example of that I can think of is O' Neil's Kryptonite Nevermore, where it was about 100 times more non-sensical), and his Superman actually seemed nuanced (again, unlike O´Neil's) and had reasons to follow the government (for the third time, unlike O'Neil's), but it's hard to deny that DKR solidified Superman's position as "guy who is there for Batman to beat up" more than any other piece of media.

EDIT: I'm not against him writing this story, by the way. I'm actually very curious about what he'll do, if only because he'll almost definitely emphasize his status as a Godlike figure unlike the current runs.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yassassin

@quinlan58:

Making a character whose first ever appearence called him the "Champion of the Opressed" and then showed him breaking into a governor's house (and punching his buttler) and then tailing and physically threatening a lobbyist and a corrupt congressman

First off, lets not pretend that first appearance should always have predominate barring on how a character is portrayed, else the people clamoring for Bruce to be a casual killer wouldn't be the dumb mouth breathers they are, but honestly, this is my point exactly. Kal doing something like this with little to no repercussions shows how babied he is whenever politics are worked into a story. Miller didn't want to baby him, he portrayed him in an realistic environment where Kal could either act against the government or get to be a hero while being under their employ, but you see an act against the government for Kal isn't akin to Henry David Thoreau not paying his taxes. Nah, it's a declaration in itself.

, but it's hard to deny that DKR solidified Superman's position as "guy who is there for Batman to beat up" more than any other piece of media.

Yeah, people champion stupid opinions, it no different then the people who think that Fight Club meant for you to agree with Tyler Durden, I mean Jesus Christ, Miller went out of his way to show that Kal was weakened, poisoned, holding back, and genuinely didn't want to fight, and in the end still he knowingly disobeyed his orders. But no, all Superman and Batman fans alike saw was Bruce getting 3 licks in and calling him names and thought that was the entire point of the book.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Quinlan58

@tvc-15: Superficial impressions matter, to pop culture even more so than the actual substance of the work in question. That's the reason why Ronald Reagan used Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." in his rallies (yes, it's lyrics criticize the U.S.A., but don't pay much attention to it and it's just a dude shouting 'Born in the USA' at the top of his lungs to a really jingoistic melody for almost 5 minutes), that's the reason why Tyler Durden and the guy in my avatar ended up having so many fanboys (yes, both Fight Club and The Third Man showed them as respectively wrong and evil, but pop culture just saw two charismatic guys that were much cooler than their "heroes"), and that's the reason why DKR ended up solidifying the "Batman beats up Superman" and the "Superman as government lapdog" memes (despite that's not what actually happened). Some of it is the Superman's writers fault too, since they weren't able to make something as iconic as DKR for Superman (much in the same way Wonder-Woman-rehabilitiating-supervillains from Marston's run was replaced with Wonder-Woman-killing-supervillains when Kingdom Come ended up being bigger than any of her stories).

In the end I don't blame Miller for it (much like I don't blame Waid and Ross or Fight Club or The Third Man - Spingsteen's a different matter). But it is clear that pop culture ended up latching onto it for those memes, and Miller knows it.

As for your first point, yeah, those things had no repercutions in those stories because Siegel and Shuster were just writing their own wish-fulfillment. But it would make for a far more interesting story if Superman, the Man of Tomorrow who by his very existence should permanently change everything about the world, was mostly at odds with the government than mostly in the same page. At least that's how I'd write him.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm the only one mildly optimistic about this.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for captainsnart008
CaptainSnart008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

based on interviews, I was actually somewhat interested in what Frank Miller would with a story about Superman, where he was the focus and not a certain furry from Gotham. Hearing it's another origin story kinda wrecks my benefit of the doubt and JrJr's art (he's good with Daredevil but his Supes is ass) all but kills it. Can't see this being good. But we'll see. DKIII was supposedly decent but that had Azzarello doing the heavy lifting.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a Rimita fan.

Not a Miller Fan (of Superman Portrayals)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@tvc-15: Superficial impressions matter, to pop culture even more so than the actual substance of the work in question. That's the reason why Ronald Reagan used Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." in his rallies (yes, it's lyrics criticize the U.S.A., but don't pay much attention to it and it's just a dude shouting 'Born in the USA' at the top of his lungs to a really jingoistic melody for almost 5 minutes), that's the reason why Tyler Durden and the guy in my avatar ended up having so many fanboys (yes, both Fight Club and The Third Man showed them as respectively wrong and evil, but pop culture just saw two charismatic guys that were much cooler than their "heroes"), and that's the reason why DKR ended up solidifying the "Batman beats up Superman" and the "Superman as government lapdog" memes (despite that's not what actually happened). Some of it is the Superman's writers fault too, since they weren't able to make something as iconic as DKR for Superman (much in the same way Wonder-Woman-rehabilitiating-supervillains from Marston's run was replaced with Wonder-Woman-killing-supervillains when Kingdom Come ended up being bigger than any of her stories).

In the end I don't blame Miller for it (much like I don't blame Waid and Ross or Fight Club or The Third Man - Spingsteen's a different matter). But it is clear that pop culture ended up latching onto it for those memes, and Miller knows it.

As for your first point, yeah, those things had no repercutions in those stories because Siegel and Shuster were just writing their own wish-fulfillment. But it would make for a far more interesting story if Superman, the Man of Tomorrow who by his very existence should permanently change everything about the world, was mostly at odds with the government than mostly in the same page. At least that's how I'd write him.

Dammit you just ruined the song for me.

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Drmagic

Why tho

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MAXIMUM TRASH

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As is my nature, I'm not going to complain about a project before I know anything about it. But a guy like Frank, if he sticks to his guns, is not the guy to do Superman story. What, is he gonna turn Lois Lane into a prostitute? Is Superman going to break people's legs, bones, and such as a warning? Some kind of weird, impromptu Sex scene between Superman and another hero?

Hope not...

Hopefully he understands that some things (kinda) work for Batman, and that he has to tell a completely different kind of story for Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems about the only response appropriate
Seems about the only response appropriate

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Every time I hear that song I just picture a cheerleading routine.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By dernman

@quinlan58: Really? I've never associated that song with any cheerleaders...

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

SIGH. This will be bad.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OrangeBat

@saintwildcard: Yay!

I'm actually kinda looking forward to this.

Except Romita Jr. as the artist. His art sucks so, so bad.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Lvenger
Loading Video...

Do not want at all. Millar started several negative trends about Superman such as him being a government stooge, Superman being boring and unrelatable and the Superman can be beaten easily because Batman beat him trend. Romita Jr as the artist is also undesirable, he's past his prime and basically wanted to be involved on an influential Superman story hence the solar flare introduction in the New 52. Why DC is continuing to give Frank Millar work I do not know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something's wrong with Frank Miller. First, this is announced, and then he was asked about comic book movies at SDCC this year and said this: "This has been a great era for superhero movies, without question. It’s like they came back and it’s like everybody is riding a wave of simply wanting to bring the joy of the genre in and lose the cynicism."

This coming from a writer who helped create cynicism in comics. And now he's going to write Superman...

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Batman and Robin 2.0 in the making.

This can't be worst than All Star Batman and Robin, right?! Right?

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garbage is the only word I could use to describe this.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Quinlan58

@eto: If it gives us another "Dick Grayson, age twelve" or "I'm the goddamn Batman" or "Damn you and your lemonade" or just crazy Steve, it'll have been worth it.

@scott_summers52: What's so strange about that quote? Alan Moore is of pretty much the same opinion (ok, not so much about CBMs, but close enough regarding the nihilism), and there's dozens of examples accross mediums of influential creators that came to regret their influence.

MyNameIsChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this. I think Frank does fantastic work and I loved All Star Batman. The problem with Dark Knight 3 is it's a not actually him, and b never go home again. I actually need this to do well so we can get to his bondage filled Wonder Woman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Garbage is the only word I could use to describe this.

Appropriate choice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinlan58: Hopefully Miller does regret his bad influence and makes this a hopeful and positive story, as Superman comics are meant to be.

But I doubt it.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been 6 months, the hell happened?

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: There wasn't really any official release date to begin with, tbh.

Miller's old and Romita is busy, delays are bound to happen.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miller and Romita have come out and said that their Superman will be going through training in the Marines. This will be an interesting and different take if nothing else.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers