• 72 results
Posted by inferiorego (25733 posts) - - Show Bio

The second season of Supergirlon the CW has finally cast Superman. Teen Wolf actor Tyler Hoechlin was picked up for the role, which was revealed by Variety. CW picked up the show for a second season, moving from CBS.

No Caption Provided

In an interview, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg discussed Hoechlin coming on to the show: "Greg [Berlanti] and I have wanted to work with Tyler for ages, so this worked out perfectly because Tyler is Superman. We are so thrilled and humbled to add another amazing actor to the legacy of this iconic character."

More recently, Hoechlin starred in Everybody Wants Some! He was also in Road to Perdition, playing Michael Sullivan Jr, the son of Tom Hank's character.

After the news of the casting was announced, Kreisberg released a statement about Superman's inclusion on the second season on behalf of Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler, the other producers on the series: "Greg, Ali and I are beyond thrilled to welcome Clark Kent and his slightly-more-famous alter ego to the world of Supergirl. Superman will be appearing in the first two episodes of the new season."

Supergirl will continue to retain the Monday at 8p.m. slot on The CW. There's no official start date yet, but there is speculation that it will come back to television this October.

Staff
Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
#1 Posted by BappyRonChantin (2772 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks the part

#2 Posted by GeeWhiz (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I think it's a good choice based on looks.

What's funny is that Mehcad Brooks is 6' 3'' and Tyler is listed at 6' 0''. So, Jimmy Olsen is bigger than Superman by 3 inches.

#3 Posted by IDontLikeBirds (873 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know much about his acting aside from Road to Perdition (though it's unfair to use that as an example), but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and he looks the part.

#4 Edited by flashallan (32 posts) - - Show Bio

But CW already has Brandon Routh under contract. lawl

#5 Posted by ganon15 (7076 posts) - - Show Bio

Henry Cavill is better

#6 Posted by D9000 (1637 posts) - - Show Bio

Fine fine, they cast somebody. That's great. Let's get to the part we actually care about, let's see the costume!! :p

#7 Posted by GeeWhiz (154 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they will have a scene where villains are chasing the Legends of Tomorrow and Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh) tells the team to go on without him and that he'll slow down the villains and someone says, "Don't be crazy...who do you think you are...Superman?".

#8 Edited by Mr___death (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't He rumored to play batman in bvs ?

#9 Posted by Jeremy1989 (1816 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know why, but he reminds me of Jason Todd/Red Hood.

#10 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman...for Supergirl's show...I am betting just like in season 1, he wont show up for major events she almost gets killed by.

#11 Posted by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see it.

#12 Edited by UltimateSMfan (2377 posts) - - Show Bio

@geewhiz said:

What's funny is that Mehcad Brooks is 6' 3'' and Tyler is listed at 6' 0''. So, Jimmy Olsen is bigger than Superman by 3 inches.

That was and still is a lil bit my problem with Mehcad. They basically cast black Superman to play Jimmy Olsen, he's uber good looking and huge, wonder why they went that way. I could see Donald Glover more for the role of Jimmy than Mehcad.

Did they ever explain that he was geeky and then Superman helped him become like the James Bond of photo journalists or something?

#13 Posted by JewishDork (498 posts) - - Show Bio

He was good in Teen Wolf.

#14 Posted by UltimateSMfan (2377 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a good choice to me.

#16 Posted by Lurkero (507 posts) - - Show Bio

I approve. You may continue.

@geewhiz said:

Isn't the Jimmy on this show technically "James" Olsen of a different universe from the original Jimmy? I didn't keep up with how the canon worked in Supergirl.

#17 Posted by ryus (42 posts) - - Show Bio

A bit young considering he's supposed to be about 36... but 7 years off isn't too bad.

He also looks the part but I haven't seen him in anything, so I'll guess I'll have to wait and see. Just hoping they do him differently (like the dork they teased about in season 1) than the movies to help seperate the two universes for newer fans so it's easier to get that they're separate universes/stories.

#18 Posted by amazingfantasy (2497 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! Not sure how I feel about the actor, though.

#19 Posted by KrleAvenger (26270 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man.

#20 Posted by Koays (11033 posts) - - Show Bio

...still wish it was Tom Welling

#21 Posted by TDK_1997 (18635 posts) - - Show Bio

Really?!?! This is one of the worst casting decisions I have seen.

#22 Edited by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked him on Teen Wolf, so I think this is good casting.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#23 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wanted Tom Welling :'(

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#24 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio
@ganon15 said:

Henry Cavill is better

Like they would even dare cast the live action version. That was always out of the question.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green
#25 Edited by Avatar_of_Green (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

@d9000: itll look like the cgi costume from previous episodes IMO

Also, why does Kara need to text him... they both have super-hearing and fly at incredible speeds. Just thought about Superman sending a text and I couldn't help thinking how ridiculous it was.

#26 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by MrMazz (2002 posts) - - Show Bio

Would've been cool if it was Welling, his casting is the kinda fanservey referential stuff DCWverse dose really well. But hey he was super good in Everybody Wants Some! and solid in the Teen Wolfe clips I've looked up.

#28 Posted by apokos7 (749 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never followed the actor before, but I guess he looks the part.

#30 Edited by D9000 (1637 posts) - - Show Bio

@d9000: itll look like the cgi costume from previous episodes IMO

Also, why does Kara need to text him... they both have super-hearing and fly at incredible speeds. Just thought about Superman sending a text and I couldn't help thinking how ridiculous it was.

I don't know. If they went to all the trouble of casting this guy why wouldn't they give him a real costume? It's not like Supergirl has a cgi costume. Isn't it less expensive to make a few costumes than animate it for 2 episodes? I guess it'll depend on how much he's in each episode.

That's funny though, but I could see Superman texting. If he was talking to her with super hearing wouldn't he have to whisper to himself? People would think he's going crazy or he'd have to hide in a closet while doing it! Texting just seems easier.

#31 Posted by Shadowstare (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if Tom Welling was even asked to do the roll.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
#32 Posted by StMichalofWilson (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting choice. Can't wait to see how he will present the character on screen

#33 Posted by SP4RT4N (85 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy would've been my pick for a new Wolverine, IDK if he'll do a good Superman. James and TPTB making him bigger than even Cavill's Superman is the major turn off for me.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
#34 Posted by Deranged Midget (18346 posts) - - Show Bio

Buncha short dudes playing Superman.

#35 Edited by Teerack (10703 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like his face for Superman.

I know this is Season 2 of Supergirl casting but considering Supergirl crossed over with Flash already and is moving to CW next season. This feels like ti should really be considered the reveal of the CW Superman since this guy will likely be Superman if he ever shows up in Flash, Arrow, or Legends of Tomorrow most likely.

I mean this guy could even play Ultraman if they wanted to do some kinda Crime Syndicate story in Legends of Tomorrow or something, so I think this casting is bigger then just some Supergirl news.

#36 Edited by Black_Arrow (10251 posts) - - Show Bio

I expected someone older.

#37 Posted by Hound_of_War (3944 posts) - - Show Bio

Buncha short dudes playing Superman.

Where's Tom Welling at? He was 6'3.

I hate that he was interested but they didn't cast him. Probably because he's too old now but it doesn't matter since they are going for an older Superman anyways.

#38 Posted by NightFang3 (12361 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday said:

Superman...for Supergirl's show...I am betting just like in season 1, he wont show up for major events she almost gets killed by.

They'll probably just write him out of the show.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
#39 Posted by TheMantisShrimp (453 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: same thing can happen in comics all the time. It's her show

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
#40 Posted by MattyDaveHalPeo (665 posts) - - Show Bio

He's just going to bring more attention to the poor casting of Jimmy Olsen.

#41 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: same thing can happen in comics all the time. It's her show

Difference is (and people have said what you said before), Superman has his own comics to explain where he is.

Take the Flash and Arrow shows, they occur at the same time to explain why Barry isn't easily beating Ollie's enemies and vice versa but with Supergirl, it's just her and Superman is just...gone? dead? Sleeping with beautiful women around the world? Who knows?

#42 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Edited by bythepowerofoa (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan: retcooooon with barry going back in time the real jimmy olsen shows up as a 5-10 ginger, and this jimmy olsen joins the cia and is sent on super secret missions

#44 Posted by Orlandozo (149 posts) - - Show Bio

good now cant wait for his costume

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
#45 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, that is a pretty pretty man

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
#46 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

I dig it. Hope he has a bright suit.

#47 Edited by Anna_Karenina (4502 posts) - - Show Bio

He's really cute and seems fitting for the role.
Hopefully, he's going to make justice to the Big Blue Boy Scout.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#48 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

He certainly could give Henry a run for his money in the looks department.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#49 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainmarvel4ever: I leave you alone for a bit and find you checking out other guys. Typical Cap. ;p

#50 Posted by Anjales_II (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

I really, really, reaally hope they chose him for his acting talent and presence, and not because of the fact that he looks like Henry Cavill...