Suicide Squad Extended Cut Blu-ray Review

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Suicide Squad showed us a different side of the DC Cinematic Universe. After the events of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, this film provided a different take on the superhero genre. Focusing on imprisoned supervillains, audiences were introduced to several new characters forced to band together in order to fight an evil force. You can check out our full review of the theatrical version here.

With the release of the Blu-ray, you have your choice of watching the regular version or an extended cut. There were reports of several scenes with the Joker that were cut out of the film. Extended or Director's cuts are starting to become the norm these days, but the big question is: How much does the extended cut of Suicide Squad change the viewing experience?

No Caption Provided

The short answer is, the extra footage doesn't make an enormous change to the overall direction of the movie. With the longer version of Batman v. Superman, there was a clear shift in the tone of several parts of the film. With only 11 minutes of extra footage edited in here, we only get a minor difference.

Killer Croc gets a little more added to his introduction scene. The result of an encounter with a guard is mentioned, and we find out he doesn't enjoy helicopter rides much. It's easy to see why these brief moments were cut out. They don't add anything to the character, but are enjoyable if you're a fan of him.

Another extended part is when the team is making plans to escape once the mission has started. Harley talks to Boomerang who then tries convincing Diablo to go along with them. Again, not too much is added aside from showing the team on the verge of finding some common ground in their situation.

No Caption Provided

With mention of numerous scenes between Joker and Harley cut, we do get a tiny extended look at the couple's past. The scene involves Harley chasing after Joker on a motorcycle after a fight. She tries getting him to confess his feelings towards her. His reply is, "I'm not someone who is loved. I'm an idea. I'm a state of mind." It's an interesting take on the character but doesn't quite fit in with the fact that Joker later goes to extreme lengths to find Harley. The scene also adds a third Harley flashback to the film.

The final added new scene involves Harley psychoanalyzing the team. As a trained psychologist, this is a side of Harley we don't often get to see. As with the other extra scenes, it doesn't add a lot to the movie, but it is nice to see the character has some extra layers to her.

No Caption Provided

With any home release, the special features can determine whether or not one might include it in their collection. The features include:

Task Force X: One Team, One Mission (23:09) John Ostrander, Geoff Johns, and others discuss the history of the Suicide Squad in the comics. Ostrander was told he could do anything with the series. He came up with the idea of prisoner/supervillains being forced onto the team.

Chasing the Real (9:37) Director David Ayer talks about wanting the characters and the world to feel real. There's a look at the costume designers, tattoo artist, cast members giving each other tattoos, and creating the evil army. The cast went through rigorous training. Ayer has a military background and brought it into the production. They spent time prepping for the characters together before filming.

Joker & Harley: "It" Couple of the Underworld (14:29) Margot Robbie and Jared Leto talk about the characters. There's discussion of being respectful to the characters. Leto mentions how he was full of excitement and dread when he got the job. He was intrigued with what he could do that hadn't been done with the Joker. Ayer mentioned there was a point Leto went away and was replaced by Joker. He only spoke as Mr. J. on set. His voice changed. Robbie had to undergo a three-hour process to transform into Harley each day with the application of make-up, tattoos, cuts, etc.

Squad Strength and Skills (9:00) Each actor had to work to develop their fighting styles. Choreographers worked with them. Robbie had to take on Harley's gymnast background and trained to hold her breath underwater. The actors worked with Navy Seals in getting comfortable with the weapons and had deep military training sessions.

Armed to the Teeth (11:48) We get a look at the different weapon props the characters use. Because the characters are iconic in the comic world, they were careful to capture the look of everything, including the costumes and weapons.

This Is Gonna Get Loud: The Epic Battles of Suicide Squad (10:54) Ayer insisted everything was a practical effect. Prepping the locations for the scenes. Ayer says there's always going to be CG and green screen, but the less you can use, the better it is for audiences.

The Squad Declassified (4:19) A summary of the team and each character.

Gag Reel (2:04) The funny moments we all look forward to.

No Caption Provided

The extended cut may not add a whole lot, but thankfully we didn't see a regular release followed by this extended version months later. David Ayer did say the theatrical version was "his cut." The special features are interesting. Commentary would have been nice. If you enjoyed the movie, this is definitely worth adding to your personal collection.

Suicide Squad Extended Cut is now on sale and also available in 3D (theatrical version only) and 4K Ultra HD.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Still not a good movie.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I feel like I would enjoy watching all these special features more than the actual movie.

But I hope they release a new cut of the movie with completely different villain(s). Can they do that?

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It still sucks.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is this as good as the BvS ultimate edition?

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was meh.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

Not gonna come here and post obvious hate, I will just say I'm curious to see the extended bits.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still garbage.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm doubting it will be. With BvS the 30 minutes that were cut out of the movie were supposed to be in the original theater version, but Warner Bros. got greedy and wanted more screenings per day of the movie so that's why those minutes were cut. It makes sense why the Ultimate Edition is far better than the theater version because the theater version had important character and plot moments completely cut out of it.

But with Suicide Squad it seems like it suffered from studio over-interference from the very beginning, with much of the original movie being heavily re-written or dropped entirely after WB saw that BvS didn't do as well as they wanted. All that interference resulted in a mess of a movie and I doubt that just a few extra minutes of footage can really save it that much. I don't say that as a jab against the movie or the people who worked on, as there are still plenty of things in it to enjoy, but as a jab against WB, who hopefully will have learned their lesson and leave Wonder Woman and Justice League up to the people working on them.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"I'm not someone who is loved. I'm an idea. I'm a state of mind."

I know Jared Leto is a good actor but I can't imagine him being able to deliver that line in a way that fits the Joker. That doesn't sound deep, it sounds like typical dark, brooding angst trying to be deep.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
@darkonast said:

I'm doubting it will be. With BvS the 30 minutes that were cut out of the movie were supposed to be in the original theater version, but Warner Bros. got greedy and wanted more screenings per day of the movie so that's why those minutes were cut. It makes sense why the Ultimate Edition is far better than the theater version because the theater version had important character and plot moments completely cut out of it.

But with Suicide Squad it seems like it suffered from studio over-interference from the very beginning, with much of the original movie being heavily re-written or dropped entirely after WB saw that BvS didn't do as well as they wanted. All that interference resulted in a mess of a movie and I doubt that just a few extra minutes of footage can really save it that much. I don't say that as a jab against the movie or the people who worked on, as there are still plenty of things in it to enjoy, but as a jab against WB, who hopefully will have learned their lesson and leave Wonder Woman and Justice League up to the people working on them.

Yes, that's the problem,Warner Bros not only refuse to learn from their mistakes, they actually do it harder in each new movie, the executives will probably make a completelly new scritpt in like 2-3 hours to wonder woman and throw the original plans in the trash.

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

movie sucks.....so much wasted potential

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just had to see how many "it sucked" comments this article would get.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@aros001 said:

"I'm not someone who is loved. I'm an idea. I'm a state of mind."

I know Jared Leto is a good actor but I can't imagine him being able to deliver that line in a way that fits the Joker. That doesn't sound deep, it sounds like typical dark, brooding angst trying to be deep.

And that is why this movie is loved by every single teenager, or edgy adult.

I'm just waiting for another DC universe movie where Leto can show off how amazing of an actor he really is. I believe he could be a good successor to the last joker, if we just get a less edgy version & a better story. ( also for him to not be a side character again...which Harley & the birds of prey might do )

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Saw both versions. I'd agree that this still isn't good. Though the scene with Harley analyzing everyone and Katana unmasking in response to her really should've been in the movie.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh. Just make a good movie DC.

Stop doing this whole "The extended cut will make more sense" nonsense.

Just get someone to edit your bloody films right mate

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By justice teen

Warner Bros didn't want to make DC cinematic Universe until they saw how successful Disney was doing with the marvel. Where as Disney showed careful planning of marvel movies, Warner Bros shows it rushing to catching up. Which is pathetic seeing as how Warner Bros had the rights to all DC characters for far longer that Disney does with Marvel(except the X-men). The best thing to happen for the DC movie franchise is for Warner Bros to give up its right, because clearly they can't get it right.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#19  Edited By The Impersonator

It was an okay movie. But it could have been better if the scenes hadn't been cut. This is the second time we're getting extended cut of a DC movie.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

screw you guys, i friggin' LOVED this movie