Suicide Squad

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Superhero movies typically focus on the "good guys" fighting some irredeemable and malevolent force--the kind that's easy to hate. Suicide Squad takes that narrative in a different direction. It's still an exciting roller coaster ride full of glitz and predictable set-piece moments, but this isn't the sort of comic book movie you're probably expecting. It's better.

Set in a post-Batman v Superman world, the nation’s leaders are concerned about the growing threat of metahumans. But the world's leadership is equally unsure who can protect them from the massive world-destroying abominations the super-powered beings have been fighting. Enter high-ranking government official Amanda Waller (Viola Davis): she proposes the invocation of a team of super-villains to fight other super-powered enemies. Problem solved.

No Caption Provided

Suicide Squad introduces an ensemble cast of comic book characters that the general movie-going audience has likely never heard of--save the Joker--but writer/director David Ayer handles this brilliantly. Like the film's well-received trailers, Suicide Squad mixes comic-influenced imagery with familiar songs to create catchy themes for each character. Tonally, it sets Suicide Squad apart from other comic book films while also keeping it grounded in the familiar.

Once the introductions are over, the music is toned down, and the action ramps up. You can't expect a group called a "suicide squad" to face anything less than the threat of death at every moment. But that sense of imminent sacrifice also forces you to see the team in a different light. Over the course of the film, the individuals become more than simple one-dimensional villains forced to fight a massive, even eviler force. They're still bad guys, but they're bad guys you can root for.

No Caption Provided

One of the primary reasons the villains work so well comes down to the massive talents that portray them. Will Smith eschews his normally light-hearted demeanor to embody the somber Deadshot, a role he takes on with the same skill as some of his heavier character-driven work. Jared Leto gives us a Joker like we've never seen before. His Joker is as ruthless as you would expect, but you'll be surprised with how he runs his operations. His dynamic with Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn runs contrary to what some traditionalists may expect. Robbie also does an excellent job handling the complexity of Harley's mental instability without making it feel over-the-top or out-of-place. Not every character gets the same deep dive into their motivations, but this make it feel like there's more material to broach in the inevitable sequel.

If there's a weak point to Suicide Squad, it's the inconsistent pacing. After the introduction concludes and the mission begins, it's almost as if you're thrown into a separate movie. The film then starts to yo-yo between frenetic action highs and slower dialogue-heavy moments, but it never brings them together seamlessly. And the mix of realistic-looking action juxtaposed against late-movie CGI-heavy moments feels jarring. The CGI does work in those scenes. It just feels a little out of place with the rest of the movie. When the climax of the movie occurs, you'll probably have a good idea how things will play out.

No Caption Provided

Despite the mostly predictable ending, Suicide Squad is the movie the DC Cinematic Universe needs right now. It retains the already established dark tone of its predecessors while injecting some much-needed moments of humor and humanity. And it feels all the more impressive that the characters who finally get that tone across are traditionally the franchise's villains. Who would have thought a bunch of bad guys could bring so much hope to the superhero genre?

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By apokos7

Sweet! I'm excited to see this!

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Light1150

I don't get it, I DON'T GET IT. Why Wb, why can't you just make a good movie out of these characters, you had good director/writer, you know how to create temple franchises, why is it so hard to make a good movie? Are these characters not good for live action? If so, then thats fine not all things translate well to movies, but continue to chrun out shit, just say these characters dont do well with movies and I will accept that, Jesus.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Thank God. I was so nervous because the only 2 reviews I've seen since the embargo was lifted were negative. Nevertheless I'm excited for it.

TOATOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Good enough for Gman, good enough for me!!! Hell yeah!!!

RT score is bad though...USA Today was postive 3 1/2 stars out of 4. Forbes was very postive as well. But, in seeing mostly negative things.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

RT score is bad though...USA Today was postive 3 1/2 stars out of 4. Forbes was very postive as well. But, in seeing mostly negative things.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't the movie come out on 5th?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brucerogers: Yeah, but the premiere was yesterday as well as the standard early showings. Also average joe can catch it on Thursday.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't the movie come out on 5th?

Yep, the early reviews are from press screenings.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
@lukehero said:

I heard the reviews were bad. In CV we trust I remember the TC BvS had a very low rating.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

@dondave said:
@lukehero said:

I have to admit though, the negative reviews are disheartening. It's like BvS all over again...only I have a feeling audiences will react better to this.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: I'm so happy I saw this each other bad review I saw a piece of my heart went with it lol.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
@lukehero said:

I have to admit though, the negative reviews are disheartening. It's like BvS all over again...only I have a feeling audiences will react better to this.

I hope so.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: I'm so happy I saw this each other bad review I saw a piece of my heart went with it lol.

Same here dude.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

@apokos7 said:

Sweet! I'm excited to see this!

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I'm seeing a lot of complaints about Joker....which worries the **** out of me. Deadshot was good, Harley was good, Waller was good, other characters were good to decent....Joker(very mixed reaction)....

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

in tony i trust now lets go see the movie

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonez_

Some things I picked up from online reviews:

It’s as if Ayer had too many balls to juggle and when they all came tumbling down he said, “Well that’s still kind of cool.” Cool? Maybe. That doesn’t make it any less disappointing.

Suicide Squad is just bad. It’s ugly and boring, a toxic combination that means the film’s highly fetishized violence doesn’t even have the exciting tingle of the wicked or the taboo.

Oh, and don’t even get me started on the pop music. There’s a way to do it, like Guardians of the Galaxy — and there’s a way to make your movie sound like some sort of old compilation rock CD they used to sell on late night infomercials.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_stegman  Moderator

@lukehero: Everything that I'm hearing about Joker is that he's just not in the movie for long enough.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh at this rate if this is going to sink, After JL, WB should just stop producing DC films. I think it's become fairly obvious that there is no room for the DCEU with critics. The MCU has set a standard in regard to the "shared universe" concept and until Disney stops producing MCU movies, I don't think there's room for any competitors. Every critic already has their own personal bias and the longer running MCU will always be the gold standard.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
@lukehero said:

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews are out and the spoilers will follow soon. Guess it is time to log off the comic sites until I can see it on Saturday.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh at this rate if this is going to sink, After JL, WB should just stop producing DC films. I think it's become fairly obvious that there is no room for the DCEU with critics. The MCU has set a standard in regard to the "shared universe" concept and until Disney stops producing MCU movies, I don't think there's room for any competitors. Every critic already has their own personal bias and the longer running MCU will always be the gold standard.

Ikr? A lot of people treat the MCU movies like this perfect pinnacle of cb superhero movies yet they have a lot of flaws just like the DCEU. It doesn't help that DC/WB is rushing this and trying to shove everything down our throats just to catch up.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Avatar image for rustyshackleford
RustyShackleford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to know. I was kind of worried, but this sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moufino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Moufino
@lukehero said:

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@light1150: Because WB has been shit for the past couple years now.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, I thought that was an older chubby Cisco Ramon second from top right lol ps really looking forward to this, love your review, keep up the good work.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toatoaa: I just wanted a DCEU because I am done watching Marvels movies, it is not a slight at Marvel its just that i already know their formula and even though it works it gets boring. The DCEU was suppose to be new and exciting but it already has 3 strikes and we all know the age old adage.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: Just in general to the reviews online

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

surely the best superhero movie of this year!!!

Renzoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

funny i just read that ign gave this movie a 5.9, but i trust this site more since its dedicated for comics

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handofprometheus: I don't get it. They know how to make tent pole films, they own 2 of the greatest franchises in the history of Cinema (LOR, and Harry Potter). They know how to do action, they got competent people (besides snyder) in place of these films, do critics really not like the direction of the dceu that they just hate on films? Are the characters that hard to do in live action? Besides TDK i cannot name one good dc movie, hell their "classics" are so grossly outdated they would get lambasted by critics today.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Light1150

@saint_sophie: At this point I also agree, critics I believe have a slight disdain for anything dc (not that dc didn't cause this themselves), but at this point any Dc movie is going to be reacted negatively while the MCU continue to get praise and adoration even though there are very heavy flaws in their films. Dc should just stop at this point and save themselves from this, NO Dceu hell not dc cinematic, just reboot their animated universe and that's it.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Agh, I want to read this but I'm worried about spoilers. Is the review spoiler free?

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@the_stegman: I'm seeing a lot of complaints about Joker....which worries the **** out of me. Deadshot was good, Harley was good, Waller was good, other characters were good to decent....Joker(very mixed reaction)....

apparently joker was amazing but didn't get enough screen time , (roughly 25 minutes at max)

jsawyerjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman3000: Me too. Hollywood Insider roasted it. I do trust Comicvine a little more though since they are looking at it from a comic fanboy perspective.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
@lukehero said:

Yeah, I was really hoping that this will click with both critics and audiences alike. Now it looks like this movie might have a lower RT rating than MOS.

Goellterator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am curious about Slipknot. What will happen to him?

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair every comic book site I have visited seem to have positive reviews for this film. So I guess that we will enjoy it.

werst9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@light1150: It is possible that Marvel just set the bar so high that even average DC films look terrible in comparison but I just don't think DC is making good movies. Hell they can't even get their animated movies right anymore. They need to just stop and remember what people liked about their comics and what made them unique and special instead of trying to cram a bunch of round pegs through a hole that changes every few months based on what the last big movie was. Hey people really liked the ironman- spiderman stuff civil war lets make Bruce and Barry the same way. Guardians of the galaxy was awesome, lets make suicide squad like that and trash the first dark action movie we had planned.(cause there's no way that first trailer is so different than the rest on purpose). Dark comics get dark movies (batman, suicide squad, Constantine) light comics get lighter movies (superman, flash) and the ensembles should be somewhere in the middle. and DC fanboys need to stop fooling themselves that every DC movie is the deepest greatest thing ever because if they keep doing that we wont ever get actual good ones again.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By righteous300

@werst9: Set the bar so high? They're really not doing anything spectacular, just making good popcorn flicks. Second, JL was written long before, Civil War came out and filming started not long after. That's not enough time to go watch someone's movie, take their idea and integrate it into your film. That's just silly.