WOULD STORM BE USED MORE IF HER POWERS WERE DIFFERENT

Avatar image for mistressoftheelements
MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So most super hero's powers are straight foward and almost always end in a slug fest or laser fight.

Storm's powers takes a little more finese to use

she isn't a straight foward punching and kicking type of super hero.

so i wonder if this is what makes writers stray away from her... she's obviously (or at least in my oppinion) the most well known marvel superhero in mainstream at least. But i dont think she's ever really been given a solo chance .

Maybe if she was repowered differently she might get more use

like maybe make the powers more centeralized on her body. The electricity comes from her hands... her

wind power

even more centeralized

do you guys think this would get writers to use her more? or is this even a factor at all

stormchild1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe .. maybe not , tough question but honestly most people prefer straight forward powers , and i guess writers like things that wouldnt be to time consuming ... her powers a pretty complex..

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

so i wonder if this is what makes writers stray away from her... she's obviously (or at least in my oppinion) the most well known marvel superhero in mainstream at least. But i dont think she's ever really been given a solo chance .

Uh... really?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she would be used more if she had a more compelling character and personality. Her powers are very useful, so if anything, most writers insert her into the story as a Mary Sue just because she can be used to conveniently explain away a number of story-related challenges.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hmmmm. don't think so. But perhaps is Storm will have new powers like invulnerability and superstrength and being able t absorb all forms of energy, then yes. she could get her own ongoing

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 vance_astro  Moderator

The answer is yes. She would be one of the hardest characters to make valid villains for. She's not really an in between character, she can either beat you or she can't. Whoever takes her on for a solo would have to be SUPER creative every issue or the book will flop. At least if she was still the queen of Wakanda, that could be used more for story but honestly the way she is now there is no reason to really use her more. She's doing all she SHOULD be doing right now.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't she a regular in 4 or 5 different titles just now? Isn't that enough?

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Hmmmm. don't think so. But perhaps is Storm will have new powers like invulnerability and superstrength and being able t absorb all forms of energy, then yes. she could get her own ongoing

If you make such changes, would she really still be Storm? Would you want her changed just to get an ongoing?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

If you make such changes, would she really still be Storm? Would you want her changed just to get an ongoing?

I would honestly hate this....the fact she shoots electricity out of her body most of the time bothers me, she became another "black lightning" Her summoning it, making it crack down from the sky is one thing because you know she is changing the weather, but her actually shooting it out of her hands doesn't sit right with me, same with "ice blasts" And I think they gave her those electric hand blasts and tazer punches just so she could be more hands on.

Giving her super strength or invulnerability or energy and matter manipulation would just change the character too much to even call herself storm...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@w0nd said:

energy and matter manipulation would just change the character too much to even call herself storm...

I believe she has some level of both of these.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PassionFlower

I think she is very cinematic so I would say the answer is no.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

honestly, for me, i've never really liked Storm because of her personality doesn't appeal to me. her powers are perfectly fine

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't she a regular in 4 or 5 different titles just now? Isn't that enough?

x-men, uncanny x force. what else?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stormchild1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mistressoftheelements
MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jhazzroucher
jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormchild1997 said:

@ultra_beleco said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@jhazzroucher: From what I can see she's recently been regularly appearing in Wolverine & The X-Men, Ultimate Comics X-Men, All New X-Men and X-Men Legacy.

So that's 6.

Apear in the background or flying in one panel of the entire issue makes her a regular character?

true ...

"regularly appearing" is different from "regular character"

Well, I did say "from what I can see", as my knowledge on this is based on what I find on Comicvine. And as Jhazzroucher said, I did say "regularly appearing" which considering she's appeared in 35 issues in total from the titles I mentioned since December(or what is referred to as December), I am still correct.

My point is that she is being used, quite often.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

@stormchild1997 said:

@ultra_beleco said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@jhazzroucher: From what I can see she's recently been regularly appearing in Wolverine & The X-Men, Ultimate Comics X-Men, All New X-Men and X-Men Legacy.

So that's 6.

Apear in the background or flying in one panel of the entire issue makes her a regular character?

true ...

"regularly appearing" is different from "regular character"

Well, I did say

"from what I can see"

, as my knowledge on this is based on what I find on Comicvine. And as Jhazzroucher said, I did say "regularly appearing" which considering she's appeared in 35 issues in total from the titles I mentioned since December(or what is referred to as December), I am still correct.

My point is that she is being used, quite often.

I agree with you. : )

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By WARLOCK2792

She'd be used more if someone had simply gotten their ish together, and made her an Avenger with a solid writer backing her up........or a Galactic X-Man along with Polaris, Rachel, and Havok........I'm embarrassed, quite honestly

LaMar57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOpe the jerks out there will always find a way to bring her down cause their afraid storm is the one character that could surprise everyone

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jhazzroucher

She'd be used more if someone had simply gotten their ish together, and made her an Avenger with a solid writer backing her up........or a Galactic X-Man along with Polaris, Rachel, and Havok........I'm embarrassed, quite honestly

True

StormyWeather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By StormyWeather

I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant super fan lol but I don't think you've read much X-Men comics featuring her, shes a well trained hand to hand fighter and she's definitely had PLENTY of fist fights MOSTLY because of her powers, it would take her a second to conjure up a gust of wind to knock an opponent or a storm, if you move quickly enough you don't give Storm a chance to use her powers, her best bet would be her lightning

in some of the more recent comics her and Psylocke (known for her combat skills more than her telepathy) have fought alongside each other, also don't forget in the 80s comics she fought Cyclops WITHOUT her powers so she had no choice but use her combat skills to fight him, if writers don't use her its NOT because of her power set, so I'd have to disagree with you

shes also had some solo series, not as much as Wolverine -_____- but shes had some

and I don't want to to see her as an Avenger, I don't know why people keep throwing that out there, with today's writers they'd just mess it all up, I haven't been very impressed

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she would be used more if she had a more compelling character and personality. Her powers are very useful, so if anything, most writers insert her into the story as a Mary Sue just because she can be used to conveniently explain away a number of story-related challenges.

The answer is yes. She would be one of the hardest characters to make valid villains for. She's not really an in between character, she can either beat you or she can't. Whoever takes her on for a solo would have to be SUPER creative every issue or the book will flop. At least if she was still the queen of Wakanda, that could be used more for story but honestly the way she is now there is no reason to really use her more. She's doing all she SHOULD be doing right now.

Agreed with these two comments. I don't think changing her powers would be a smart move on Marvel's ened. Storm's has multiple faucets of energy sources to tap into (all possessing massive potential) so it's be better if writers ,as Vance said, got a little more creative with the use of her power as well as the story telling.

@white_mage A galactic team would have been awesome. I love seeing Storm cut loose in Space.

@w0nd said:

I would honestly hate this....the fact she shoots electricity out of her body most of the time bothers me, she became another "black lightning" Her summoning it, making it crack down from the sky is one thing because you know she is changing the weather, but her actually shooting it out of her hands doesn't sit right with me, same with "ice blasts" And I think they gave her those electric hand blasts and tazer punches just so she could be more hands on.

Giving her super strength or invulnerability or energy and matter manipulation would just change the character too much to even call herself storm...

I don't think you have any understanding of how her powers operate. She controls electrical as well as electromagnetic energy so her potential goes well beyond summoning lightning. Electrical impulse are the driving force of why we function in the first place so her manipulating her own body's electricity to make bio-electric bolts is not far fetched at all.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roddy010: no you are absolutely right, i have no idea how her powers work at this point since they change things or make it up as they go along. when they continuously refered to her as a weather manipulator and emphasize that, I think of her as just that, but when they show her doing things that black lightning, static and any electricity based super powered person does it adds confusion, then to add to it you have that explanation you just gave me and she over time became another person who offensively shoots bolts of electricity out of her hand. While I don't like ultimate xmen I like how they used her in that, smart. She had to understand how the weather worked...what forces created what kind of outcome, she had to have some knowledge of what causes electricity in the first place which beast taught her how to do, and when she understood she stood back and offensively created a storm hundreds of miles away with bolts of lightning raining down on sentinels, opposed to her just shooting it out of her hands

personal preference really.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe, most characters with sustained solos are heavily melee based. Even Lanterns resort to hitting with constructs or their fists quite frequently. Even Captain Atom and Firestorm melee from time to time, but didn't make the cut. Seems people like sluggers, ninjas, and well trained combat assassins.

Maybe is Strom could channel her elemental manipulation into physical attacks it could allow her to fight in a grey area more.