Why Storm>>>Carol Danvers(rant)

• 72 results
BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay I FINALLY agree with Storm fans... Not only that but there are other Marvel female characters that are more deserving to be Marvel's leading lady than Carol. Though that's another story for another time. Anyhow, before I use to think Carol Danvers was deserving of her spot. Before I thought Storm fans were acting a bit obnoxious towards the character, while not getting over Storm's popularity during the 90s. This was years ago... However, after recently returning to comics(I have taken a long hiatus), I now she this chick FORCED DOWN our throats! And I mean that literally. You would think she is Wolverine by the way she appears in almost every comic.

Anyways, heres why I really agree with Storm fans and know how Marvel is forcing Carol down our throats. Many people(including me) go on and on about how Storm solos have flopped. And that is true. However, while doing research I have seen that Captain Marvel books have flopped MANY TIMES JUST and have sold it the range that the Storm solos have. Yet, Captain Marvel gets chances after chances meanwhile Storm does NOT. That right that shows me a bit of hypocrisy from Marvel. Captain Marvel has barely been able to outsell flipping Gwenpool let ALONE Supergirl, Batgirl, Jean. Don't even get me started on Wonder Woman who they think she can compete with. Marvel doesn't understand that the ship for that has long sailed especially since the Wonder Woman movie coming out.

Marvel is clearly trying to make Captain Marvel their "Wonder Woman." Yet, at the same time they are making Carol everything Wonder Woman is NOT. Don't even get me started on this chicks bland and unlikable personality. Civil War II is enough to explain all of that. I know people are going to crucify me by saying, "but king! Beauty is not what makes a GOOD character! Not all female characters need to look like Kim Kardashion!" No duh... Tell me something new. But people like Wonder Woman because she is also beautiful. Its apart of her character. However, moving on from that, you can STILL be beautiful while not looking like some Instagram model. See Storm, see Monica Rambeau, see Jean and the rest of the X-ladies, see Sue Storm, see Scarlet Witch. You get my point... What Marvel instead did was take about Carol's femininity and made her look like a man with many masculine features. And yet it is not even working.. I don't care what anyone says, because to me you can be a STRONG WOMAN and have femininity. See Beyonce...

Moving on... Like I said her series have flopped many times yet she has been giving many chances. She had to use the name, "Captain Marvel" to even have a chance. Next she swagger jacked the name "mighty" from Thor to even get her zombie like series going. One can say she's been getting this push because Fox owned the movie rights to the X-Men(who have the strongest female characters in Marvel in terms of characterization) and Marvel randomly found Carol and was like, "oh my! That's our girl! That's our Wonder Woman!" But like I said it isn't working...

To me Storm is more deserving of being Marvel's lead compared to Carol. I know the 90s are long and gone, and I know Storm beating WW out in popularity is long and gone, but still more people know Storm compared to Carol Danvers. In my honest opinion(and get at me), Storm is more iconic than and interesting than Carol. From looks(her white hair), powers, personality, mythos and origins. Carol Danver's in comparison is generic. All of this is about to go into my next point... That is(I know I sound like a broken record)... DC has already checkmated Marvel when it comes to an iconic female character. Lets just accept that. DC/WB has already beaten Marvel to the punch. Wonder Woman is the archetype of a female superhero. She symbolizes what women want. Carol Danvers especially the way Marvel is making her is NOT countering that. However... There is something WW and DC doesn't have that Marvel does have. And that is STRONG MINORITY FEMALE CHARACTERS! Marvel can be like, "yeah we may not have a female character like Wonder Woman, however we got strong female characters of color. Does DC have that?" I say this because women of color have basically been the most neglected group when it comes to inclusion. This is very true which is why I feel Storm(or Monica) is a better investment. Storm is one of the most successful Black female characters which is why she is loved. This is a fact. She is done right. By Marvel promoting a woman of color they would be sending a powerful message in my opinion. If not Storm(for whatever reasons)n then at least Monica who was big during the 80s. If Storm has had the same push as Carol Danver then she would be where Carol is at or probably even better.

This is just my opinion. /Rant

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jhazzroucher

I agree with you fellow Storm fan. :)

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not just Ororo Munroe aka Storm >>>>> Carol Danvers

Also...

Jean Grey aka Phoenix >>>>> Carol Danvers

And

Anna Marie aka Rogue >>>>> Carol Danvers

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Widow >>>>> Carol Danvers

Kingnemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol danvers > oreo monroe

kasya_carey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingnemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasya_carey: I don't know what you're asking. It's always been that way

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingnemo: oh my goodness. why are you always over here? Dont you have a man??

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingnemo: why are you always in storm chats saying something if you don't like her stop always talking about her.

Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminds me of that Polaris troll lol.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hhhhhmmm..

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rofl. :)

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Let's just be honest. The only reason Storm hasn't gotten a chance at a solo flick like Elektra, Wonder Woman, and Captain Marvel is because she is black.

Women superheroes rarely get a chance to solo a film. Let alone a black woman. All those rich white guys producing the movies aren't trying to chance it-- especially when D-listers like Ant-man, Guardians of the Galaxy (when their film came out they were very unknown), Iron Fist, etc... can all get a shot because apparently some unwritten rule that white male leads resonate with audiences more. It's complete BS.

The reason I bring up the films is because at Disney Marvel, the films are now the main focus and the comics are a tool used to help drive that big ticket. So they should be taken into consideration when talking about what's happening in the comics.

Same applies to Captain Marvel and Storm (or even Monica). Storm was voted more popular than Wonder Woman in the 90s. Marvel has made it totally clear that they don't want a black woman in to be the woman of Marvel despite the fans want it.

Storm IS the most popular hero of color. Sorry Black Panther. She is also one of the highest profile women characters in ALL comics. ALSO she resonates well with the LGBT community.
What does Carol have going for her? She's the Hillary Clinton of Marvel (at best). Sure she has opportunities, sure she's a feminist, sure she has an audience-- but it isn't enough. Personally I don't have much of an opinion on Carol since the most memorable thing she has ever done was give Rogue her best powerset.

But these are real things to consider. I promise you if Carol was black people she wouldn't get this AMAZING push of opportunities. If you need any more proof....just look at Monica. #EndRant

kasya_carey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingnemo: when has it been that way? Show me the receipts

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jhazzroucher

@kingnemo didnt say Ororo Munroe but Oreo Munroe. :)

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Malachi_Munroe

@jhazzroucher: you DO know that Oreo is an ethnic slur right? Or are you feigning ignorance as per usual

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

Kinda obvious that Storm >>>>> Carol, they are not in the same league, Storm as a concept and as character is simply so much better and is executed far more properly on consistent basis.

Current Carol is just arrogant, self-absorbed, hypocritical, egoistical person, even when Tony Stark proved her wrong with his scientific analysis of Ulysses' powers showing that not at all his visions are right, she still was pushing her own agenda to the point she nearly killed Tony and put him into coma, and yet noone is blaming her for her wrong actions and such and she wasn't even feeling regret for her actions and later was acting as if none of that happened, pure arrogance i say, not only that the woman who was accused of being hydra via future visions, who actually was not hydra really, became later hydra simply because of Carol's actions, if Carol did nothing and just stayed out of it as in future was not right, that person then would have remained a normal person in society, and the bullsh** of hers goes on and on...

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's just be honest. The only reason Storm hasn't gotten a chance at a solo flick like Elektra, Wonder Woman, and Captain Marvel is because she is black.

o.o

Or maybe, she's just not that good a character? I mean, there's still prejudice/bias in the film industry to be sure and of course it's a male-dominant world, but I doubt Storm not getting a solo movie is because she's black.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By helloman

Yeah, I agree that Storm > current Carol.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By silent_bomber

@king_stranglehold_da_first:

I just looked through the sales data, Captain Marvel consistently outsells Storm.

Storm does well on #1 issues and then declines fast. Captain Marvel holds its readership much better over time.

kasya_carey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: if she wasn’t a good character, one of the biggest women in marvel. She’s like top 3 leading woman in marvel.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasya_carey: In your subjective opinion, yeah. On a general basis, she's a pretty good character and all, but there's a lot of better female characters in Marvel. Gals like Black Widow, Jean Grey, and, yes, even Captain Marvel are usually recieved better and for good reason.

ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I though a lot of people was against Carol being Marvel's main lady, or at least I've heard a lot more complaints from people who weren't fans of Storm. I don't mind Carol, though I haven't read anything of her recently (only in brief appearances in x books) but I'm not against Marvel putting focus on a female hero. What I will say with my limited knowledge on her push and what you've said, I agree that it's not fair she gets so many chances but everyone else is considered a failure. They definitly could've done more to help with her solo as well as done better with her solo in general, but they didn't give her any attention. Maybe now with Marvel owning the movie rights they will finally give her and the X-Men some love.

As far as being the Wonder Woman of Marvel....eh. If they keep doing what they're doing, such as relaunching Carol's solos while letting characters who deserve a chance left in the dirt like Iceman, then I don't want just one character to get all of the attention even if it's my favorite character. I don't see why they can't push all of their current and popular diverse characters the way they've done with her.

I will say I'm pleasantly surprised how many people do like the idea of Storm being a candidate, even recently on CBR a Jean fan made a thread giving reasons why Jean should be the WW of Marvel and a decent amount of people agreed Storm should be considered before her.

ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is this talk that Carol cobsistently outsells her? Storm only had 1 ongoing solo that had its first 3 issues going absolutely nowhere...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dernman  Online

Regardless if Carol Danvers is Storm definitely isn't.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By silent_bomber

What is this talk that Carol consistently outsells her?

Storm only had 1 ongoing solo that had its first 3 issues going absolutely nowhere...

Mini-series' are launched to test the waters and see if an ongoing series is viable.

There have been three attempts to launch Storm series' so far, in 1996, 2006, 2014

kasya_carey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: the only character you named who could possibly be a better character than Ororo is Jean Grey.

ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: Is that true for sure? The 2006 one couldn't have been, it was to retell the story between Storm and T'Challa first meeting. Then her actual solo was set up for failure, and I can't find the sales of her 1996 mini series on comichron where did you find it?

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shepardoakenprime: Its not a certainty, but it is likely (especially with the 90s miniseries).

I was comparing the Storm (2006) miniseries to the Ms Marvel (2006) series (Carol Danvers at the time). Storm's series is selling considerably less. You could also compare it to the 2012 Captain Marvel series, again Storm (2006) sold less.

Where the 2014 ongoings are concerned, the first issue sold better for Storm but then from issue #2 on Captain Marvel consistently sold better, by issue #10 of Storm's ongoing it was likely selling below break-even point IMO.

Storm Calling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: That was the wedding prelude. It had nothing to do with Storm getting a solo series and more to do with Storm going over into BP's books. And the series was crap too.

ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: I don't think it's fair to compare Carol's sales to Storm's when it was only made to develop the love between her and BP when she was a child. I also have a hard time believing her 90s mini series did bad enough where she didn't get a solo when it was the height of her popularity, but without the figures we'll never know know unless someone has them.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Carol more as Ms. Marvel.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur said:

o.o

Or maybe, she's just not that good a character? I mean, there's still prejudice/bias in the film industry to be sure and of course it's a male-dominant world, but I doubt Storm not getting a solo movie is because she's black.

Halle Berry Catwoman...just sayin' (even though it was an awful movie)

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm is a far better character and it isn't close I think most comic fans would agree

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm fan for life! :)

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WollfMyth209

@kasya_carey: Again, in your opinion. If you enjoy Storm more, more power to ya, but you aren't the majority and Hollywood isn't reliant on your views alone.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: I'm fairly new, why do people on the vine seem to hate storm fans?

ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_living_tribunal_24: They run into a fanboy and assume everyone is the same. I've seen a lot worse wank for other characters than I have for Storm in the 2 years I've been here, but for storm it's one argument that they disagree with and bam it's blown out of proportion for years.

Just look at recent battle threads of hers, the same people always post "inb4 Storm fries their synapses" or "Storm OBVIOUSLY just fries their synapses for the stomp" to mock us. In reality though literally not one fan has used that in a battle where it shouldn't have been used and I've read most if not all of her threads to know.

It's just human nature, gotta put someone down to make yourself feel better. Until the site is cleansed of this behavior it's going to continue. Sad fact is if someone has Storm in their username or as their profile pic chances are they're going to be discriminated against, I've already suffered from this.

The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id even put Psylocke >>>>> Carol Danvers

kasya_carey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: they're not more popularity than storm in comics. They couldn't not even compare to her icon. Hollywood maybe so but even then you have tv shows, a list celebs and more showing storm off. Bring the receipts if you wanna prove me wrong.

The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: that's a fact psylocke>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ororo.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Carol as Ms Marvel more than Carol as Captain Marve

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WollfMyth209

@kasya_carey: they're not more popularity than storm in comics. They couldn't not even compare to her icon.

Really? They do possess more popularity than Storm comic-wise. As well as more compelling character arcs, and are generally more interesting with more possibilities to them.

Hollywood maybe so but even then you have tv shows, a list celebs and more showing storm off. Bring the receipts if you wanna prove me wrong

Storm was, by far, one of the best parts of the X-man cartoon, but that's not saying much in the movie industry. So far, Marvel's prime X-man to milk is Wolverine. But this is all irrelevant to what I'm saying: in a company now owned by Disney of all people, during a time period where movies try to include as much racial, sexual and religious diversity as possible, I doubt the reason Storm isn't getting a solo flick is because some shmuck in Hollywood is racist.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By silent_bomber

Hopefully I haven't screwed this up too much -

• Spider-Girl #01 (1998) (Mayday) - 62,805
  • Spider-Girl #05 (1998) (Mayday) - 54,450
  • Spider-Girl #10 (1998) (Mayday) - 44,388

---------------------------------------------------

• Ms Marvel #1 (2006) (Carol Danvers) - 73,398
  • Amazing Spider-Girl #1 (Mayday) (2006) - 47,282
  • She-Hulk #1 (2005) - 37,196
  • Storm #1 (2006) - 32,819
  • Arana #1 (Corazon) (2005) - 29,783
  • Ms Marvel #5 (2006) (Carol Danvers) - 38,869
  • She-Hulk #5 (2005) - 27,173
  • Storm #5 (2006) - 24,841
  • Amazing Spider-Girl #5 (Mayday) (2006) - 21,387
  • Arana #5 (Corazon) (2005) - 16,376
  • Ms Marvel #10 (Carol Danvers) - 34,348
  • Amazing Spider-Girl #10 (Mayday) (2006) - 19,087
  • Arana #10 (Corazon) (2005) - 11,916

• Ms Marvel #50 (Carol Danvers) - 25,309

---------------------------------

• Spider-Woman #1 (2009) (Jessica Drew) - 47,162
  • Spectacular Spider-Girl #1 (2009) (Corazon) #1 - 17,025

-------------------------------------

• Captain Marvel #01 (Carol Danvers) (2012) - 41,582
  • Spider-Girl #1 (Corazon) (2011) - 23,926
  • Captain Marvel #05 (Carol Danvers) (2012) - 28,619
  • Spider-Girl #05 (Corazon) (2011) - 13,757
  • Captain Marvel #10 (Carol Danvers) (2012) - 18,359

-------------------------------------

• Spider-Woman #1 (2014) (Jessica Drew) - 93,723
  • Black Widow #1 (2014) - 53,879
  • Ms Marvel #1 (Kamala Khan) (2014) - 50,286
  • Elektra #1 (2014) - 47,676
  • Storm #1 (2014) - 47,566
  • Captain Marvel #01 (Carol Danvers) (2014) - 44,248
  • She-Hulk #1 (2014) - 41,894
  • Spider-Woman #5 (2014) (Jessica Drew) - 40,068
  • Ms Marvel #5 (Kamala Khan) (2014) - 33,795
  • Black Widow #5 (2014) - 27,055
  • She-Hulk #5 (2014) - 24,000
  • Captain Marvel #05 (Carol Danvers) (2014) - 23,666
  • Storm #05 (2014) - 17,999
  • Elektra #05 (2014) - 17,209
  • Ms Marvel #10 (Kamala Khan) (2014) - 30,282
  • Black Widow #10 (2014) - 23,687
  • Spider-Woman #10 (2014) (Jessica Drew) - 23,005
  • She-Hulk #10 (2014) - 20,188
  • Captain Marvel #10 (Carol Danvers) (2014) - 19,973
  • Storm #10 (2014) - 13,398
  • Elektra #10 (2014) - 12,121

------------------------------------------------------

Marvel seem to have had most success with May Parker, Jessica Drew, Carol Danvers, and Black Widow.

If any character keeps getting chances regardless of sales it seems to be more Corazon than Danvers.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol's ongoing solo was promoted more while Storm's previous mini series didnt sell well because mini series tend to sell less than comics that are announced as ongoing.

Storm's first ongoing solo didnt do well because she was still apearing in more than 5 books at the same time and wasnt promoted too as well as xmen is still with Fox.

So comparing Storm's sales to Carol Danver's sales isnt really a good way to compare.