Since electromagnetism and electricity are the same force, why haven't we ever seen Storm bend metal

• 70 results
Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kekoajohn

We've seen Storm create electromagnetic fields. But why haven't we ever seen her create an electromagnetic field around a metal object and manipulate the electromagnetic energy, which will then cause the object to move or bend? Which is why I asked, why haven't we seen Storm bend metal?

She should be able to indirectly manipulate metal, since she is One, electrokinetic, Two, it takes an electrokinetic to manipulate the spin of the electron in the atom, Three, direct where the current goes, and Lastly, to act as a conductor that pushes and pulls electrons in objects near them to make them move from their orbit, which is exactly what magnets do if you put anything metal near them. So the mechanics behind magnetism wouldn't necessarily be outside of Storm's powerset or difficult for her to pull off.

Regardless of how Storm's powerset is portrayed differently from Magneto's, physics is still physics. And in physics ferromagnetic materials can be moved or manipulated if there is an electromagnetic field near it. Because ferromagnetic materials have a subatomic particle occurring in the nuclei called proton. The electrons from the electromagnetic field are attracted to the protons, thus creating a magnetic connection between the two.

Any science nerd/writer care to add their concerns?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jhazzroucher

The only or faster way for Storm's powers to evolve further is her having an ongoing solo,

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MagneticStorm

This would be the easiest and most obvious way to dramatically amp her defense game... Magneto's shields are made for her.

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree as well. :)

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kekoajohn

@jhazzroucher: Do you know how to post screen shots on here? Can you please teach me

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jhazzroucher

@jhazzroucher: Do you know how to post screen shots on here? Can you please teach me

You can't post screenshots. You have to save the image to your pc first, then come back here and click the image icon above where you type your comments , search image through pc and post it.

If you are on your cllphone, you have to click the 3 buttons found on the rightside of the tab/window and choose desktop site , then follow the instructions above so u can post images

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kekoajohn marked this as the best answer

@kekoajohn said:

You can't post screenshots. You have to save the image to your pc first, then come back here and click the image icon above where you type your comments , search image through pc and post it.

If you are on your cllphone, you have to click the 3 buttons found on the rightside of the tab/window and choose desktop site , then follow the instructions above so u can post images

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

To

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Thank you. Btw, in the first photo above, did Storm actually bend them using Electromagnetism? And in the second photo, did she use the same em force to repel those Sentinel robots?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Thank you. Btw, in the first photo above, did Storm actually bend them using Electromagnetism? And in the second photo, did she use the same em force to repel those Sentinel robots?

Im not sure about the first one but the second is electromagnetic pulse

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting question. I have seen Storm create and manupilate EM fields/forces but not bend metal that way. scans above jist just show her lightning biting into a rank and the 2nd one is an EMP to take out a room full of sentinels.

An application If like to see explored is Stoem combining EM with air to create own unique and regularly used force field.

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kekoajohn
@thunderbolt30 said:

Interesting question. I have seen Storm create and manupilate EM fields/forces but not bend metal that way. scans above jist just show her lightning biting into a rank and the 2nd one is an EMP to take out a room full of sentinels.

Now, I'm not trying saying to say that Storm should be the mistress of ferromagnetism. And I'm not looking for her to be exactly like Magneto. But none the less, she can do a whole lot more since her powers ARE diverse. Weather is a very complex and versatile system of energies and forces working in different applications.

Electromagnetism is what Storm uses to control the weather; like how Magneto uses it to control metal, I don't see why that method can't be applied to her. Because when Storm is faced against a hundred sentinel robots -- made of metal -- instead of sending down a bolt of lightning and striking them, which doesn't seem to do anything to them, they should have her use ferromagnetic manipulation to rip these robot sentinels to shreds; not exactly use their parts and make them into an airplane. Or control them with her powers the same way Magneto does.

@thunderbolt30 said:

An application If like to see explored is Stoem combining EM with air to create own unique and regularly used force field.

I second that.

phlogiston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why doesn't Jean use her omega-level tk to throw wind, rain, and lightning at people? Why doesn't Iceman make blizzards and freezing rain and hail? Why can't Forge construct a weather machine? Why won't Domino use her luck powers to increase the probability that someone will get caught in a tornado or struck by lightning? Will we ever see Gambit use his kinetic powers to move wind and lightning toward a target? If the sun is the driving force behind the mechanics of weather on Earth, why can't Sunfire nudge parcels of air into becoming supercells? Why doesn't Darwin evolve into a thunder god? (I laughed.)

It's theme. It's scheme. It's motif. It's a proposition to be maintained against objections. Isn't it? If you have a mutant who is so powerful that she controls the weather, don't you wanna conform to what is commonly viewed as such? That already gives her 3+ powers. Why ask for more? Why encroach? Besides, isn't Marvel in the habit of de-powering, resetting, benching, or killing any character that hits the ceiling?

I think I'm more interested in seeing a Storm that's reduced to one weather effect. Just for a while. Still, I want you to have what you want.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phlogiston: I get where you’re going with this but I don’t think whats being discussed calls for that extreme (and technically Forge does have a weather machine haha).

The undercurrent to the OP is that Storm’s powers allow for a far more creativity than we get, and glimpsing at what other EM powered characters have done is just pointing out development opportunities that would help make her more interesting. Lightning vs everything gets boring, predictable and is regressive. Thats the Storm we’ve have for the past few years.

After 40+ years of appearances I’m expecting some growth, mastery in her abilities and some regular intelligence/creativity in how she applies her powers based on her situation.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kekoajohn: True but I also want Storm’s powers to be a little more niche and nuanced. Like flying that jet in her solo on her winds was awesome (basically using her air manipulation like a telekinetic or High level EM wielder).

Or warping the planets magnetic field to bring magma to the surface or the magnetIc cyclone from her solo. Id like to see her control over EM forces explored a lot more creatively, even being inspired by a Polaris or Magneto, but still something that is unique to her form of weather manipulation.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderbolt30 said:

Now, I'm not trying saying to say that Storm should be the mistress of ferromagnetism. And I'm not looking for her to be exactly like Magneto. But none the less, she can do a whole lot more since her powers ARE diverse. Weather is a very complex and versatile system of energies and forces working in different applications.

Electromagnetism is what Storm uses to control the weather; like how Magneto uses it to control metal, I don't see why that method can't be applied to her. Because when Storm is faced against a hundred sentinel robots -- made of metal -- instead of sending down a bolt of lightning and striking them, which doesn't seem to do anything to them, they should have her use ferromagnetic manipulation to rip these robot sentinels to shreds; not exactly use their parts and make them into an airplane. Or control them with her powers the same way Magneto does.

@thunderbolt30 said:

I second that.

Writers don't have your knowledge and creative ideas. :)

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Becauses that's magnetos thing...

No need for a discount magneto.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

because writers tend to remind themselves her theme is weather manipulation not copying magneto.

Chad_Duby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because this is comic book.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what would be said about Magneto if the shoe was on the other foot.

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Becauses that's magnetos thing...

No need for a discount magneto.

because writers tend to remind themselves her theme is weather manipulation not copying magneto.

Electromagnetism manipulation isn't just a Magneto thing. Storm uses that same energy in concert with the other forces Magneto does not control– to control the weather. So if Storm can only manipulate the energy system that factor the weather i.e. electromagnetism then there is more that can be done, since Storm's mutant abilities encompasses more than mere weather control – and at the same time it would still fall under atmospheric phenomena or weather manipulation.

But if you folks are going to say that Storm shouldn't be copying Magneto, then y'all should have been up the writers asses and telling them that Magneto shouldn't be copying Storm by using his powers to mess with the weather, creating storms, or even be messing with the Earth's electromagnetic field because atmospheric manipulation is Storm's thing smdh.

@kekoajohn: True but I also want Storm’s powers to be a little more niche and nuanced. Like flying that jet in her solo on her winds was awesome (basically using her air manipulation like a telekinetic or High level EM wielder).

Or warping the planets magnetic field to bring magma to the surface or the magnetIc cyclone from her solo. Id like to see her control over EM forces explored a lot more creatively, even being inspired by a Polaris or Magneto, but still something that is unique to her form of weather manipulation.

But it's copying Magneto according to some critics

I wonder what would be said about Magneto if the shoe was on the other foot.

They didn't say much when Magneto manipulated the weather and created a Storm. I wonder if one of them happen to be the same troll who said Storm is not an electrokinetic and she cannot produce an electromagnetic field?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Electromagnetism manipulation isn't just a Magneto thing. Storm uses that same energy in concert with the other forces Magneto does not control– to control the weather. So if Storm can only manipulate the energy system that factor the weather i.e. electromagnetism then there is more that can be done, since Storm's mutant abilities encompasses more than mere weather control – and at the same time it would still fall under atmospheric phenomena or weather manipulation.

But if you folks are going to say that Storm shouldn't be copying Magneto, then y'all should have been up the writers asses and telling them that Magneto shouldn't be copying Storm by using his powers to mess with the weather, creating storms, or even be messing with the Earth's electromagnetic field because atmospheric manipulation is Storm's thing smdh.

And by contrast, why should Magneto not start to manipulate the weather? Since his powers should by all accounts also be able to do it if he knows how to push the elements around?

Seriously though, I am generally opposed to characters like Storm, Jean and whoever else who starts off with an easy to describe and demonstrate power, like telepathy or weather manipulation and writers just keep expanding and expanding and expanding on those powers till they are all functionally capable of realigning all the building blocks of the universe on a whim.

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kekoajohn

@outside_85 said:
@kekoajohn said:

And by contrast, why should Magneto not start to manipulate the weather? Since his powers should by all accounts also be able to do it if he knows how to push the elements around?

Because queen, writers tend to remind themselves his theme is ferromagnetism manipulation; not copying Storm. If the same critique can be applied to one, then it should also apply to the other, right? After all, you said it.

@outside_85 said:
@kekoajohn said:

Seriously though, I am generally opposed to characters like Storm, Jean and whoever else who starts off with an easy to describe and demonstrate power, like telepathy or weather manipulation and writers just keep expanding and expanding and expanding on those powers till they are all functionally capable of realigning all the building blocks of the universe on a whim.

But that same opposition you have doesn't apply to Magneto, right? Just Storm and everyone else except him huh? Btw, I never complained about Magneto controlling the weather, or said something stupid like he's copying Storm because I understand the physics behind both of their powers. The only reason I brought this up now was to show you just how hypocritical you're being, if that's the case. And btw, we're all for character development just as long as it relates to their current abilities.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You people think about this sh!t too much.

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kekoajohn

Since its not a hat, sorry we don't put our heads up our asses like you do and leave it there.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:
@kekoajohn said:

Because queen, writers tend to remind themselves his theme is ferromagnetism manipulation; not copying Storm. If the same critique can be applied to one, then it should also apply to the other, right? After all, you said it.

@outside_85 said:
@kekoajohn said:

But that same opposition you have doesn't apply to Magneto, right? Just Storm and everyone else except him huh? Btw, I never complained about Magneto controlling the weather, or said something stupid like he's copying Storm because I understand the physics behind both of their powers. The only reason I brought this up now was to show you just how hypocritical you're being, if that's the case. And btw, we're all for character development just as long as it relates to their current abilities.

You seem to think I have replica Magneto helmet on my desk and a Magneto Was Right t-shirt.
But let me tell you, that is not the case. My point is that there is no reason to have a hundred different mutants running around if they eventually all become so powerful that they are all virtually able to do the same thing.
Leave the creations of lightning bolts and whirlwinds to Storm, leave the bending of metal to Magneto.

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kekoajohn

@outside_85: We stated our reasons, but just because you want to see the same boring thing, doesn't mean we have to agree with you.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

But thank you for expressing your opinion.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: We stated our reasons, but just because you want to see the same boring thing, doesn't mean we have to agree with you.

You are the one who wants the same boring thing. Lets be absolutely clear about that.

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kekoajohn

@outside_85 said:
@kekoajohn said:

You are the one who wants the same boring thing. Lets be absolutely clear about that.

No, queen it was your ass who said

@outside_85 said:
Leave the creations of lightning bolts and whirlwinds to Storm, leave the bending of metal to Magneto.

So get it right. It was YOU -- YOU want them to stick to the same boring thing; we're asking for some creativity. Your ass wants them to stick to the same damn script. So get your damn story straight. Come correct or I'll get you together.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kekoajohn: @malachi_munroe: precisely. If Magneto manipulates the weather its perfectly fine and no one wpild say a word or they’d justify it. Storm tapping into same power source and doing something creative....Suddenly she become too “OP” lol. I do think there is a double standard when it comes to Storm.

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kekoajohn: @malachi_munroe: precisely. If Magneto manipulates the weather its perfectly fine and no one wpild say a word or they’d justify it. Storm tapping into same power source and doing something creative....Suddenly she become too “OP” lol. I do think there is a double standard when it comes to Storm.

Thank you! It is a damn double standard. Because no one can logically argue why one can do what the other one can but that same logic doesn't apply if the roles were reversed, since they both have overlapping similarities; both control and manipulate EM Energy and both are connected to the Earth's Electromagnetic Field. So if you look at each character, they maybe portrayed differently in the comics, but technically, Storm and Magneto are two sides of the same coin.

Now again, I'm not saying that storm should be the Mistress of ferromagnetism – that's not what I'm saying at all. But when storm is faced against 100 Sentinel robots -- made of metal -- she could just rip them apart using electromagnetism manipulation. This ability doesn't put her on par with Magneto but it would help her in situations like this where lightning strikes don't seem to damage them. Or when she's trapped in a metal room and can't get out of.

I'm so sick of seeing guys like Magneto, Jean, Rachel, and Iceman get all of the big power boost when there are characters -- like storm whose power can be pushed to a grander level to compete with powerhouses -- guys like like Apocalypse. Storm is either made to be a background character or a jobber, which is something fans like use are sick of.

To the people who replied saying “that's copying Magneto” guess what? Some writer gave Magneto the ability to manipulate the weather with his powers. And your response to this?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderbolt30 said:

@thunderbolt30 said:

I second that.

I'd like to add that Storm should be able to render Magneto powerless since she has more control on electromagnetism. Storm doesn't need to show that's she can be a mistress of magnetism because she can control other elements that which Magneto can't

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By strangetales

Despite the scan above the obvious answer to this and any similar questions would be that there is literally nothing to suggest comics follow or need to follow real world laws and science...

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite the scan above the obvious answer to this and any similar questions would be that there is literally nothing to suggest comics follow or need to follow real world laws and science...

But it's better to follow the real world laws and science

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: because I actually post .. things that don't belong in the spam folder .

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangetales: But yet, both their powers and limitations are bound to science.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: because I actually post .. things that don't belong in the spam folder .

malachi, i'm just joking. Don't be too serious about me. Consider me like one of your friends who is not intelligent and just super crazy about Storm. I know you're better than me. Please, we're both Storm fans. Just ignore me instead. Just dont get mad at me. You know, if we only could meet in person, i'm pretty sure youd say im supernice and we wont have any arguments. And to all Storm fans, please let us be a family.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangetales: But yet, both their powers and limitations are bound to science.

A better way to lambaste the former's opinion. :)

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: and the hypocritical thing about that is he doesn't disagree. So how can you say comics don't need to or should not follow "our" science, but don't disagree how writers and creators really employ science to the character's powers and their limitations?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: and the hypocritical thing about that is he doesn't disagree. So how can you say comics don't need to or should not follow "our" science, but don't disagree how writers and creators really employ science to the character's powers and their limitations?

You are so absolutely right! :)

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderbolt30: @jhazzroucher: @malachi_munroe:

Y'all remember that dude Warrior John? He's the guy who said Storm cannot produce electricity; cannot manipulate Electromagnetism because she's not an Electrokinetic? Well, he's back! And he is on a different forum asking people which power would you rather have: electrokinesis or magnetokinesis (not realizing that they ARE the same).

Oh, and the funny thing about that is -- while he's naming all the Electrokinetics -- he drops Storm's name in it LMFAO???????? I responded to his post a couple of times. We went back and forth for awhile, until he gave up.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kekoajohn: that's fine. We smacked him around enough anyways.

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderbolt30: @jhazzroucher: @malachi_munroe:

Y'all remember that dude Warrior John? He's the guy who said Storm cannot produce electricity; cannot manipulate Electromagnetism because she's not an Electrokinetic? Well, he's back! And he is on a different forum asking people which power would you rather have: electrokinesis or magnetokinesis (not realizing that they ARE the same).

Oh, and the funny thing about that is -- while he's naming all the Electrokinetics -- he drops Storm's name in it LMFAO???????? I responded to his post a couple of times. We went back and forth for awhile, until he gave up.

sounds like I'm not needed. If you'll encounter somebody whose really against Storm and her fans, let me know. I will argue with him/her until he/she gives up. :)

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see Storm bend metal by molding sentinels into a ball of metal. But I guess that takes more effort and time and concentration so Storm would prolly just hit them with a cannonade of lightning.

Kekoajohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see Storm bend metal by molding sentinels into a ball of metal.

Me too

But I guess that takes more effort and time and concentration so Storm would prolly just hit them with a cannonade of lightning.

Takes more effort and concentration to do what? Control an electromagnetic field? Electrokinesis is basically controlling the electric currents with your mind (which Storm can). If you can do that then you control electromagnetic fields (which she has)

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:

I would love to see Storm bend metal by molding sentinels into a ball of metal.

Me too
@jhazzroucher said:

But I guess that takes more effort and time and concentration so Storm would prolly just hit them with a cannonade of lightning.

Takes more effort and concentration to do what? Control an electromagnetic field? Electrokinesis is basically controlling the electric currents with your mind (which Storm can). If you can do that then you control electromagnetic fields (which she has)

Ok. You have more knowledge about how her powers work so I'll just have to agree with you. :)