Just What Were Storm's "New" Powers in Dark Phoenix?

pollymars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pollymars

Can someone point out what "new" powers Storm displayed in the Dark Phoenix? Because I haven't seen them. And please don't include the scene where she's reduced to making ice cubes. I will not acknowledge that crap.

That scene where the X-Men were in outer space on a rescue mission and were bombarded with solar flares, I was expecting Storm to do something with them; like direct the energy toward a different path. I was also expecting her to manipulate the oxygen inside her enemies lungs. I was hoping they included electromagnetism manipulation.

Because Storm has demonstrated the ability to control natural forces; which includes cosmic storms, solar wind, ocean currents, and the electromagnetic field. These abilities should have been included in her repertoire, but I haven't seen them displayed on screen yet. I have a feeling Disney won't do any better than Fox. Just look how Nerf Wanda and Thor are in the Avengers movie.

Also, during their space rescue mission...to save NASA crew members...Mystique told Storm, after the Blackbird was hit, to “seal those cracks.” What exactly did Storm do?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Stormcell

They were not going to explore Storm's powers like that. I think most of us Storm fans knew what to expect. Storm's power levels and personal canonical backstory had to be devalued in order to prop up Jean Grey (who is just a cardboard cutout of a superheroine) since Jean is a weakling compared to Ororo in terms of power, and her back story is plain and boring when compared to Ororo's.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've NEVER seen the Movie.

WaitOmegaStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she didn't do anything new unfortunately, maybe Shipp was talking about the original version in relation to the new powers that Storm would show.

pollymars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are not going to explore Storm's powers like that. I think most of us Storm fans knew what to expect. Storm's power levels and personal canonical backstory had to be devalued in order to prop up Jean Grey (who is just a cardboard cutout of a superheroine) since Jean is a weakling compared to Ororo in terms of power, and her back story is plain and boring next to Ororo's.

That's exactly why I'm being critical towards these writers. By questioning why these writers choose to Nerf Storm and criticizing their lack of creativity and have everyone pile in you draw attention from everyone. This includes them. Because you do have writers and producers that come on to this platform to get feed back from fans and to get new ideas.

Keeping my fingers cross, I hope writers are listening to us fans and really show off what this character can actually do.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By devilsgrin81

Hey if nothing else, we actually got to see her Fly. Rather than simply rise up into the air, hang there, shoot a bolt of lightning and land again. She was airborne, at significant speed, for the entire train battle.

Most of the powers you suggest aren't practical to display in a movie, without causing confusion as to what her powers are. In a comic... fine, there are explanatory bubbles going on. Air manipulation in the lungs aside - that would be obvious. Yet, its a pretty villainous thing to do.

And we can't have her calling all her attacks like in X-Men TAS (best cartoon ever!!!). She gets enough grief for that and it was a cartoon.

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pollymars: she froze the moisture in the air leaking out of the space shuttle forming ice over the hull breaches. At least we know Fox Storm has molecular control over moisture

The92Ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly that! #7, but I will tap a bit deeper into the explanation above. You see out in space the main elements are helium and hydrogen, what Storm did is manipulate those molecules and slow them down to absolute zero sealing the openings.

I can see that writers didn't tap too much into understanding it, but they did a good job without even realizing it, most likely. I am not even going to comment on the 'icicle' generator... that just gross. Even though she can do it, as much as funny and strange it sounds, but definitely not appropriate for Storm's character and personality. If someone asked her to do that, she would have most likely put them in their place or ignore them completely.