Dark Phoenix Movie Storm

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Stormcell

So, I saw the movie. Wasn't going to, but I ended up doing it anyway. Storm was weak. She got beat by this guy who had dreadlock hair power. Literally, he would wrap his dreadlocks around you and slap you with his hair.

You heard right. Storm lost to that guy and the other X-Men had to intervene to save her in that fight.

On top of this, she had like five lines. Mystique, who died early on in the movie, had more lines in the time she was around than Storm did in the entire film. Heck, of all the main characters, Storm had the least lines of everyone.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol. So she basically got humiliated by male Medusa?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kgb725

@the_kidd said:Lol. So she basically got humiliated by male Medusa?

I seen the movie that's basically what happens lol. But she was not fighting to the best of her ability partially because of so many people near her

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stormcell

@the_kidd said:

Lol. So she basically got humiliated by male Medusa?

This guy's hair did not stretch out like Medusa's. It stayed the same length (about waist-length). He just animated it with his mind and whipped it around with his hands. Storm was written compartively the worst of all the X-Men in terms of proportional power AND having the least amount of lines/focus.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormcell: Yeah that sounds just disheartening. Maybe after reboot 2 the 3rd time will be the charm.

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

@stormcell: Yeah that sounds just disheartening. Maybe after reboot 2 the 3rd time will be the charm.

You can cross your fingers, but I doubt it. I have a feeling Disney will regulate Storm to the background as well and weaken her to prop up other characters. We'll likely get more twists on the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix story. It's tired.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought ice dispenser did an ok job with what she was given. you guys must keep in mind this version shown in the foxmen isnt storm. she is a lot of things - ice dispenser, Sierra mist, sunny with a 5% chance of showers, drizzle, etc, - but she is not storm.

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stormcell

@butterflykyss said:

I thought ice dispenser did an ok job with what she was given. you guys must keep in mind this version shown in the foxmen isnt storm. she is a lot of things - ice dispenser, Sierra mist, sunny with a 5% chance of showers, drizzle, etc, - but she is not storm.

I wasn't knocking Shipp's acting in this movie. I believe she did a decent job with what she was given (and I liked her fake accent). I'm with you in placing the lion share of the blame heavily on the content the writers/director handed her. It was a mess.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormcell: yes agreed. I'm so happy this movie is getting terrible reviews. I cant wait to see how marvel/Disney will work to rebuild the brand and most importantly storm.

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormcell: yes agreed. I'm so happy this movie is getting terrible reviews. I cant wait to see how marvel/Disney will work to rebuild the brand and most importantly storm.

I read an article that says the movie may bomb in the box office. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the movie grosses less than the $200,000,000 production cost. (I know it will likely gross more than that, but we can all hope, right?)

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormcell: oh yea its projected to be the lowest selling xmen movie ever getting maybe somewhere around 37mil this weekend.

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MagneticStorm

Dark Phoenix was watchable trash, which is worse than trash. Sophie Turner & Michael Fassbender were great, nobody else cared. Storm was a backdrop with laughable CGI and fight scenes, this Storm makes OG Storm look OP. All fight scenes were mediocre, Magneto's powers have never been so underwhelming. Phoenix Jean's most impressive feat is tanking a stab to the chest, everything else was a less impressive repeat of "The Last Stands" "obliteration's".

Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I think about it how the hell did Storm make ice without water in space? I didn't see it but there wasn't an atmosphere to draw water from hence the ship needed to be reconstructed right?

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shepardoakenprime: dint forget some of the atmosphere from within the shuttle was still leaking out

Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
ShepardOakenPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malachi_munroe: Oh okay, glad her only cool scene in the movie I'm looking forward to see isn't ruined.

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stormcell

Some articles about how Dark Phoenix is doing in the box office:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-dark-phoenix-has-worst-opening-in-x-men-history-1203236658/

http://collider.com/dark-phoenix-friday-box-office/#images

Storm has the most story potential of all the X-Men given her materal lineage and inheritence from that lineage as well as her own personal background, power set, power levels, and diverse skillset. When she's written at her best or even halfway decently, her popularity is second only to Wolverine among the X-Men. Sadly, we never got to see what makes Storm's character so awesome on the big screen. Fox was more interested in Wolverine, Magneto, and Mystique in some movies with the industry getting stuck on Jean for three movies now. Each of the Jean movies had to deal with the tired old Phoenix motif.

Marvel comics sales have dipped dramatically over the years because the company tries to force their favorite characters on the readers instead of giving readers interesting stories to purchase on the characters they (the reader) prefer. It's a recipe for disaster. Fox made the same mistake in rehashing the Phoenix theme for the third time and it's tired, tired, tired.

By the way, if you guys think Disney will delve into Storm's history and treasure trove of stories and potential stories from her best years in the comics, I wouldn't hold my breath. Dollars to donuts it's going to be the Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean show with Jean being propped up as the major female character in the spirit of feminism. Storm will likely play the role of the token black character once again eventhough her powerset, history, skillset, potential storylines, etc are far richer, fresher, and more exciting than Jean's--which is why Jean could never hold a candle to Storm's popularity with the readership when Ororo's character is written in a half-decent manner. If Disney tries to rehash the Phoenix theme again (and I bet they will), the box office sales will likely be even worse on that film.

Just like many comic readers outside the Jean fandom are tired of rehashed Jean/Phoenix stories, I have a feeling the same is now true for movie goers.

Why can't they just choose a team of five or six characters to focus on in the movies where everyone is written well, and nobody is written down to prop up somebody else? They should just write everyone well and let the chips fall where they may where the fans decide who they like the most instead of trying to force certain characters on the readers and movie goers. Problem is, I think they know Storm would come out on top over Jean and the rest of the X-Men outside of Wolverine, and both Fox and Marvel have a problem with that, so they write Ororo down. Disney may have an issue with Ororo's potential popularity surpassing Jean's as well, so don't hold your breath on this, folks.

In conclusion, Fox deserves the bad sales. No disrespect the Sophie Turner, who did a good job as Jean and Dark Phoenix. She merely did the gig she was given as did Shipp, Fasbender (spelling?), and the rest of the crew.

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MagneticStorm

I've always felt the MCU far exceeded Fox when it comes to character building and everyone having their moment, though "First Class" I thought did a good job with that. I can't see how Marvel could possibly treat Storm any worse than Fox has, even Hawkeye and Black Widow have had more in depth story arks than Storm lol.

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always felt the MCU far exceeded Fox when it comes to character building and everyone having their moment, though "First Class" I thought did a good job with that. I can't see how Marvel could possibly treat Storm any worse than Fox has, even Hawkeye and Black Widow have had more in depth story arks than Storm lol.

I still believe Storm will be treated badly in the MCU. Take a look at how badly she's been written in the X-Men comics over the last decade. She's been watered down so much that I hardly recognize the character.

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MagneticStorm

@stormcell: I thought Marvel's treatment of Storm (and mutants in general) have been horrible because Fox owned the mutants. I would expect all the X-Men properties (Games, tv shows, animated cartoons, comics) to be taken more seriously. Also Marvel is all about "female empowerment" and diversity, pushing Storm would be ideal for them I would think.

I know that there was a time in the 90's where Storm was like Marvel's Wonder Woman, she was everywhere.

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Stormcell

@magneticstorm said:

@stormcell: I thought Marvel's treatment of Storm (and mutants in general) have been horrible because Fox owned the mutants. I would expect all the X-Men properties (Games, tv shows, animated cartoons, comics) to be taken more seriously. Also Marvel is all about "female empowerment" and diversity, pushing Storm would be ideal for them I would think.

It's a nice thought you have, but I must disagree. Marvel has been trying to go all out for Jean in the x-titles over the last couple of years and anytime she's in any book, to be honest. Expect that from future movies as well with Storm being shoved in the background since she is a threat to the primacy of Jean Grey. Jean never could compete with a well-written Storm, hence Marvel has generally scaled Storm back everytime they shared a title going back from the early 90s-the early 2000s. The reverse was never the case. Then, when Jean is taken out of the book with Storm and placed in a different title completely independent of the team book Ororo's in, Storm's power levels and mental defenses go back up and she gets better character development. Over the last decade, the Storm situation has degenerated to writing Storm down at all costs no matter who's on the team.

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the 90s, Storm was being written down. That trend started when Lobdell took over the title after Claremont left the first time. Thing is, even when she was being written half-baked, Ororo was such a great character she was still Marvel's leading lady despite their efforts to push Jean in the x-titles and Carol Danvers in the larger MU.

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with all that, I just know there's a strong "diverse female empowerment" agenda the MCU is starting to push. They would be missing a HUGE opportunity not pushing a Black Female Queen from Africa, especially after the success of Black Panther... i'm talking the MCU btw.

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Stormcell

@magneticstorm said:

I agree with all that, I just know there's a strong "diverse female empowerment" agenda the MCU is starting to push. They would be missing a HUGE opportunity not pushing a Black Female Queen from Africa, especially after the success of Black Panther... i'm talking the MCU btw.

Storm would definitely do better in the box office than Jean IF they delved into Storm's comicbook backstory, power, character, and ancestral lineage on her mother's side.

Claremont's legendary first run of the X-Men books remains the highest selling comic till this day, I believe. During most of that tenure, Storm was the heart and soul of the title with Wolverine coming in second. So, Storm was able to connect with readership across the entire racial spectrum from all backgrounds in a medium that boasts a predominately white male demographic fandom. All Marvel needs to do in the comics and in the movies is to tap into Storm's awesomeness again and delve even deeper in the foundation that was established from the start of the character's existence. However, that won't happen because Marvel editorial cares more about Jean Grey eventhough she has far less appeal to the consumers than a well-written Ororo. What we're going to get is a rehash of the Scott/Jean/Logan love triangle with the Phoenix stuff thrown in. You just wait and see.

Marvel believes they can force us to care about the characters they wish to be our favorites, and it doesn't work that way. People like the characters that they like.

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stormcell

@magneticstorm said:

@stormcell:We shall see!

You know, I just thought about something. The timing of Marvel making Jean leader of the X-Men and putting Storm under her like they did coincides well with Disney getting the X-Men franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if this were done to try and pave the way for Jean to lead the X-Men in the future movies. By all rights, that should go to Ororo before Jean given that Storm was the first female leader of the X-Men, and she held that role for decades.

Once more, I warn you, don't expect too much from the future MCU X-Men movies. ;)

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Stormcell

@butterflykyss said:

@stormcell: oh yea its projected to be the lowest selling xmen movie ever getting maybe somewhere around 37mil this weekend.

It got even less than 37 million domestically.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=foxmarvel18b.htm

Do you guys agree with this article? https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/we-were-wrong-behind-dark-phoenix-foxs-dismal-x-men-franchise-finale-plans-1216859

Personally, I think it's the Jean focus that messed up the films. Though she has a vocal fanbase, she has never been that popular among comicbook readers. Using the comicbook fandom as a microcosm for consumers, if Jean can't cause a ruckus in the fandom, what made them think she'd be such a big hit on the big screen by making her the center of three x-movies?

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Stormcell

‘Dark Phoenix’ Bound To Lose $100M+ After Worst Domestic Opening In ‘X-Men’ Series: Here’s Why

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dark-phoenix-bound-lose-100m-184707428.html

"Even though Dark Phoenix is the No. 1 winner around the globe with $140M –down substantially from the worldwide launches of X-Men: Days of Future Past ($262.9M), Logan ($247.4M) and X-Men: Apocalypse ($166.6M), finance experts tell us that the tale of Jean Grey will burn out with an estimated $100M-$120M loss after ancillaries, off a combined production and P&A estimated cost of $350M+ (which includes reshoots). Final global B.O. is projected at $300M-$325M, with one film finance suit telling us “If it drops like a stone, $285M."

Just had to post this article.

Well, guys, I don't expect Disney will do any X-Men movies soon. Fox ruined the movie franchise just like Marvel ruined the X-Men comic book.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel isnt exactly some huge agenda the mcu is pushing

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

‘Dark Phoenix’ Bound To Lose $100M+ After Worst Domestic Opening In ‘X-Men’ Series: Here’s Why

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dark-phoenix-bound-lose-100m-184707428.html

"Even though Dark Phoenix is the No. 1 winner around the globe with $140M –down substantially from the worldwide launches of X-Men: Days of Future Past ($262.9M), Logan ($247.4M) and X-Men: Apocalypse ($166.6M), finance experts tell us that the tale of Jean Grey will burn out with an estimated $100M-$120M loss after ancillaries, off a combined production and P&A estimated cost of $350M+ (which includes reshoots). Final global B.O. is projected at $300M-$325M, with one film finance suit telling us “If it drops like a stone, $285M."

Just had to post this article.

Well, guys, I don't expect Disney will do any X-Men movies soon. Fox ruined the movie franchise just like Marvel ruined the X-Men comic book.

good I'm glad it didnt end on high note more reason for marvel to completely reboot the franchise

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shepardoakenprime: dint forget some of the atmosphere from within the shuttle was still leaking out

I'd like to add to what you said, here. Another possibility is Storm could have used the oxygen within the shuttle and fused it with hydrogen atoms to create moisture. Afterwards, all she'd have to do is remove the heat from the water molecules to create ice.

She most likely did something along the lines of what I think you're claiming and simply froze the atmospheric moisture within the ship, but oh, well.

@Everyone:

One other thing that happened during this space scene is Storm said she could no longer hold the ship together, so Jean stepped up to the plate and did it before she got the Phoenix Force. It was a clear jab at Ororo trying to make the statement that non-Phoenix Force Jean Grey is stronger than Ororo. LOL, yeah right!

Strangeheartt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormcell: kurt should have taken Storm in the shuttle to help Jean.

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Stormcell

@stormcell: kurt should have taken Storm in the shuttle to help Jean.

I can live with Storm and Jean working together like you've suggested.

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Captain Marvel is just one example. Black Panther, The upcoming Black Widow film (after all these years), the Okoye, Scarlet Witch, and Black Widow vs Proxima Midnight scene in Infinity War, The all female shot in Endgame, the upcoming Shang-Chi movie, Kevin Feige promising more LGBBQ characters, Falcon being the new Captain America, the sudden use of Rescue (after all these years), Valkyrie now ruling Asgard etc. Stevie Wonder can see all this isn't a coincidence.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Captain Marvel is just one example. Black Panther, The upcoming Black Widow film (after all these years), the Okoye, Scarlet Witch, and Black Widow vs Proxima Midnight scene in Infinity War, The all female shot in Endgame, the upcoming Shang-Chi movie, Kevin Feige promising more LGBBQ characters, Falcon being the new Captain America, the sudden use of Rescue (after all these years), Valkyrie now ruling Asgard etc. Stevie Wonder can see all this isn't a coincidence.

Get yourself checked for apophenia

Carol danvers and Black panther were announced with Inhumans and Doctor Strange why are they not considered apart of the agenda ? Maybe BW is getting a film now because of the fact marvel has seen how successful superheroine films can be. The Dora milajae operate the exact same way in the comics so not sure what you're saying there. Scarlet Witch is a reality warper and strong enough to hurt cosmic beings in the comics of course shes going to be powerful , how does a woman vs woman fight mean anything ? The A force is a team in the comics , if Iron Fist wasnt white I'm sure you wouldve added him to the list , Falcon being cap and cap being old was a recent story arc for both ,Pepper was relegated to cameo status in between the 6 years of Endgame and IM3 , Loki ruled Asgard too while Thor was off world which he currently is

Stormcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: In short, you do think all this happening is a happy coincidence? how nice...

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: In short, you do think all this happening is a happy coincidence? how nice...

Quit deflecting and actually give me answers. How is it pandering for them to give Black panther and C. Marvel a movie but not spiderman. Strange , or give Inhumans a live action adaptation? Why is it a problem for Valkyrie to rule Asgard but not Loki ? It's a problem for Pepper to get her own suit but not Rhodey? You have a problem with Wanda being strong but have no issues with Vision ? It's a problem for the Dora Milajae to be badass but not Sif and the warriors three ?

At what point do you just admit you're biased

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

goddess what's going on??

BalancedTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: You know what's funny? you accused me of having apophenia yet you've convinced yourself i'm "biased" (what you really mean is prejudice) based on what? LMBO! IM A BLACK MAN you think I have a problem with any of this? Black Panther is the only marvel movie to move me to tears. PLEASE show me where I said anything negative about what Marvel is doing??? Also where did I mention Wanda being powerful???

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought ice dispenser was pretty cool in the movie with only her 5 sentences in the entire movie.