Why You Should Read STARFIRE #1

• 124 results
VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It was too bold in the previous comic, so I like it.

the sheriff is like Zatanna

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

It seems they went with playing up the Alien trying to learn earth's customs, but it just comes as more clothes and less Brains, or to put it a bit nicer, Teen Titans animated Star Blended with the new 52 version..I'll pass. I miss when Wolfman wrote her, had just the right amount of Alien naiveté and fierce temper.

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I read this issue and it wasn't amazing or bad. It felt like they completely got rid of her Outlaws persona and she has no recollection being with them, it might come up sooner or later. More on this, I read Red hood/ Arsenal as well and she was still part of that group in the continuity, so unless Scott Lobdel did another one of his, "what are we doing that", she was part of the Outlaws and this seems so out of character. Now I do like her new personality, it is alot like her TT personality with more adult themes. However, how the book was written was very droll. Characters I don't care about as side characters, and a boring story. Hope it gets better, but unless it picks up in issues 2-5 I might not pick up again.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

it was very true to her TT cartoon iteration and if youre a fan of her character in other venues you'll love it. i was hoping for more action just from the start but there isn't really much(but its just the first issue). i think they did a great job introducing her character and if you want to get into her id suggest reading this because its a great gauge for her character

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sentryman555: that's exactly what I felt when reading this preview, I love the animated version (and tat she's now wearing clothes) but she comes across almost mentally handicapped to me (not that there's anything wrong with with being mentally handicapped but Starfire isn't). Definitely a move in the right direction, now we just need Whorely to be Harley again

BEAR812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wasn't impressed. They could have used the final few pages as the initial jumping off point instead of dragging the reader through another reality style superhero side show. It kills me they did this to Batgirl, and I dread they have the same in store for Black Canary. I want heroes fighting villians. I get my reality every day I go out the front door. Like everything I'll give it a few issues or at least an arc. I really hope it gets better.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By bladewolf

Tony, if you're going to credit the entire creative team, you CAN'T forget the letterer. Nick Napolitano did AMAZING work on this issue, especially in the thought bubbles which are mentioned prominently in the interview about the series on this very site.

Avatar image for dark_tzitzimine
Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Dark_Tzitzimine

I don't agree with none of the points raised on the article but hey, if you guys are enjoying Starfire, more power to you. However, I have to adress this:

Think about it, neither Jason Todd nor Roy Harper seem the type to unleash huge amounts of sarcasm.

You kidding, right? Sarcasm is kind of a natural language to those two:

And this is just from ONE issue.

lightfright12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how I feel about taking such a complex character and reducing her to the childish version from the T.V. show's to pander to those fans in order to sell comics.

Joe_Amazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

DC YOU? It sure looks like Starfire meant to give the middle finger.

TheFlashFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

galacticshrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This was a fun first issue. I'm interested to see where it goes.

jrkegley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book is probably going to go pretty underrated for a while, but if you take the time to read the first issue it definitely pays off. I was never really a big Starfire fan, but I made an effort to read as many of the "relaunches" that I could afford, and this book was really surprising.

Not only is this some of the best art I've read in a while, the story's pace and the speed at which they had me interested in her as a character was pretty great. It isn't just about her being a ditsy hot alien chick, they seem to be able to quickly develop her as a character and it is really a great read. :)

Absolutely worth checking out the first issue, I am glad I did, I hope this book has a good run.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks like so much fun! Definitely picking this one up! I love the humor, and the optimism, and the vibrance of it all!

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She seemed waay too naive

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't agree with none of the points raised on the article but hey, if you guys are enjoying Starfire, more power to you. However, I have to adress this:

Think about it, neither Jason Todd nor Roy Harper seem the type to unleash huge amounts of sarcasm.

You kidding, right? Sarcasm is kind of a natural language to those two:

And this is just from ONE issue.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. They love sarcasm.

And anyway, it seems like a great book if you liked the 03 Animated Starfire. Otherwise, it's a bit jarring. Anywho, I probably won't pick it up, but coolio that Star gets her own book.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@dark_tzitzimine: Completely agree, im not sure Gman even read RHATO. They are always incredibly sarcastic. And Gman even said that Jason isn't the type to drink beer and that Arsenal would be......WTF, if he read the book he'd know Roy is an alcoholic who can't drink, and Jason goes to bars several times in the series. Then there's also the fact that Jason was seen at a bar in Death of the Family. A story that Gman loved.....so does he even pay attention at all?

Avatar image for dark_tzitzimine
Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem with Starfire is that Conner and Palmiotti are acknowledging Lobdell's run and by doing so, her Starfire is treading a very, VERY thin line between naivety and idiocy.

Kori was able to function on human society thanks to the boys and Grayson so is absurd that she suddenly doesn't gets sarcasm, human currency or even the bit about random nakedness.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a93b48c6355
deactivated-62a93b48c6355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

My only problem with this issue/post is that some key things are wrong about Starfire. I mean, she can't possibly cry innocently about death when she's killed people in RHatO. Like a lot. And sarcasm? That's something both Jason & Roy used a ton of. And as for your drinking comment, Roy wouldn't pick up a six pack, he's a recovering alcoholic, so no beer there.

So yeah. I have no problem with it turning into a less mature book than RHatO. But don't insult her character by making her dumb as a bag of rocks and disregard everything in her past. I mean, she's been on Earth for like 3 years, not a week and a half. And the warrior princess who had to fight her way out of brutal slavery isn't going to burst into tears about an old woman dying of cancer. Seriously.

yasbinfirnas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my shopping list of DC comics has dropped a bit over the last 2 years. But I think I'm ready to start collecting agian. There are some cool titles out there: Starfire, Black Canary, Martian Manhunter, Robin Son of Batman, Bizaro... plus all the superman stuff. Exciting times.

ivan_jimenez86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hoping they have Starfire fight someone equal or near Superman, Wonder Woman, Maxina, Orion, Silver Surfer, Captain Atom, Thor, and Martian Mahhunter class and unique abilities. She needs to kick major booties.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivan_jimenez86: Starfire has never been that strong. Matter off act she got easily handled by Superman in RHatO.

She's more around low class 100.

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Sinestro2828

+

@blackwind said:

@ivan_jimenez86: Starfire has never been that strong. Matter off act she got easily handled by Superman in RHatO.

She's more around low class 100.

I would also like to see Starfire fight some bad guys in the same weight class as Superman & Wonder Woman, give us a better idea of her power levels, especially now that she has her own solo title, I'd like to see her go toe to toe with serious alien & metahuman powerhouses rather than street level baddies. Considering that Starfire has been shown to be stronger than Donna Troy, fought on par with Wonder Woman, destroyed a Brainiac skull ship herself, and once required the combined strength of Donna & Mon-El to restrain her while angry, I think she's tougher than many give her credit for (or should be, kryptonians aren't the only badasses in the DC universe)....As for those fights she had with New 52 Superman, I think of them as wasted opportunities to show off Star's strength. Outlaw Starfire suffered from a lot of flaws unfortunately, & she certainly doesn't need to beat Superman to prove how tough she is, BUT, having her give Superman a run for his money & proving that as the team's powerhouse she can protect them from the likes of him & similarly powerful heroes & villains would have gone a long way to make up for some of the damage done to Kory's character...Alas, they depict her as being completely & utterly outclassed if I recall correctly, Supe's treating her like a minor annoyance rather than a real challenge (thus giving us even fewer reasons to admire the Outlaw's depiction of Starfire, & making you wonder why Superman & his ilk never rounded up the Outlaws).

Yet oddly enough as of the new title Starfire & Supes seem to be on good terms (which I prefer honestly but doesn't make sense if the new comic is in continuity with New 52). Regardless, I'll give the new comic a chance & hope Starfire is done justice & allowed to grow as a powerhouse character in the DC universe now that she works alone.