Star Wars Rebels "Spark of Rebellion"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Star Wars: The Clone Warsreally, really grew on me. The animated series became a gripping, emotional, and exhilarating ride, so it was a major bummer when the show came to an end. However, director Dave Filoni isn't done with the Star Wars universe just yet! Now, he's joining forces with Simon Kinberg and Carrie Beck (as well as executive producer Greg Weisman!) to give the world all-new adventures in the franchise's fantastic universe. We've seen plenty of the Clone Wars era, but now it's time to get a good look at the time period between episodes 3 and 4. As the Empire continues to expand its power and crush spirits, the Rebel Alliance is beginning to take action.

This first episode -- which is an hour-long -- really is Ezra Bridger's tale (who's voiced by Taylor Gray). Through his eyes, we get a good look at how the Empire's ruling through fear. While we do get a fair understanding of what his newfound friends are like, Ezra's arc is front and center and he's a legitimately likable lead. Some of the dialogue and plot developments with him were pretty predictable, but it's an engaging journey that's paced very, very well. When all was said and done, I felt emotionally invested in this character and sincerely want to see where this adventure will take him next. As for the rest of the rebels, they may never steal the spotlight for very long, but we're left with a proper understanding of each character. It's just enough to get us interested in them and leaves us wanting to learn more about them. While Kanan Jarrus (Freddie Prinze Jr.) has a standout scene and we get a good read on him, I believe Zeb Orrelios (Steve Blum) was fleshed out more than the rest of his peers. He's essentially the group's muscle and he loves giving people a tough time, but there's just a few moments that reveal there's so much more to the character. I'm looking forward to a better insight into each of these characters, but he's the one I'm intrigued by the most.

A big concern I've seen from a lot of fans is about the tone. Some feel it'll be too kid friendly and it's an understandable fear. Sure, Star Wars has plenty of gags along the way, but it's loaded with compelling and character-driven scenes. Even though this show is trying to appeal to all ages, it really doesn't hold back when it comes to the action. Just like in A New Hope, characters are hit by blasters, explosions kill Stormtroopers, and TIE fighters are blown up. I mean, there's even a point where someone is murdered just for an amusing comment they made! It may not be graphic and you may not see limbs flying around, but it's definitely not just for kids and there's a ton of action to enjoy in this one. Kanan has a particularly memorable scene (I don't want to potentially spoil it, so that's all I'll say) and it's so thrilling to be back in this universe. The battles and chase sequences feel like they could be a scene from one of the original movies. There's a lot of passion for the franchise and it really shows.

There's a young wookiee who is absolutely adorable, but the rest look like either action figures or tall characters wearing smooth costumes. This really was the one spot where the animation was jarring. There's one bit with Stormtroopers in a hall which looked impressively realistic and there's a mesmerizing field, but the wookiees look very off and it's a little distracting. Additionally, there's one line which felt a little too forced. Really, really casual fans may appreciate it, but for everyone else, it'll just feel a wee bit unnecessary. All of the other problems I have are minor and pretty much countered by just how enjoyable the adventure was.

Star Wars Rebels is pure fun. This hour-long premiere was a totally joyous experience and reminded me why I love the franchise so much. The action's a blast and there's just enough humor sprinkled throughout. The new characters are most certainly intriguing and there's a strong sense of wonder. Now that we have a basic understanding of the main characters, I can't wait to watch how they grow and see what'll happen next. Star Wars Rebels is off to a great start and it has a whole lot of potential. Seriously, go into this one with an open mind and you'll most likely be very entertained. Consider me hooked!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Hopefully without Weisman this show can keep up the good quality. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but after so many many well made animated series have been taken off the air, a show like this needs all the support it can get.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Dang it I missed it. Glad to see it did good though I was worried when they annonced this would be replacing tcw

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Dang it I missed it. Glad to see it did good though I was worried when they announced this would be replacing tcw

Don't worry man , I missed it too.

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By iDude

I will definitely check this out I really enjoyed The Clone Wars, hopefully Rebels lives up to it.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

I'm hopeful with the overal quality of these first two episodes. Some of the animation isn't as good as Clone Wars but its mostly a different crew and Clone Wars wasn't looking that hot at the start either.

TenEyedMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the horrible, horrible way Cartoon Network treated Beware the Batman recently, I'm glad this show is here to bring a new hope to action cartoons.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It was way better than I expected. I lol'ed at the amount of times death was shown on screen.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I really enjoyed this as well. I had high hopes coming into the this and it mostly lived up to my expectations. The Inquisitor getting involved now should be even better. As a fan of the villains of Star Wars, I can't wait to see what he brings to the table.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I was pretty blown away by how much I liked this show. The feel of A New Hope is all over this show, and the characters are near-instantly enjoyable. The show really won me over when the lightsaber was activated for the first time. Instead of it having the crisp, clean blade of the prequels and Clone Wars, the blade had imperfect flashes and flickers just like the original trilogy. Such a great touch.

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Protoflash

I really liked most of the show, I just didn't like the script of the episode all that much. It felt too much like amateur-hour fanfiction than anything else. Especially with that increasingly annoying kid. Hopefully he becomes less so as the show goes on

nrgb2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been waiting for this since Clone Wars was canceled... Did not disappoint. So far, Agent Kallus is my favorite character! The Jabba line and that kick at the end completely sold him for me.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

What I liked was how they didn't really waste time setting things up, but instead just threw you right into the thick of it and simply let you enjoy the ride. Throughout the season we're sure to see each of these characters explored and fleshed out more, so I'm glad they didn't really waste time by trying to explain why so-and-so is like this or why they do that, but instead just introduced you to them and then let you watch them kick Imperial butt.

I do agree that the Wookiees did look a bit too "plastic," if that's the right word. The animation overall looked great, much sleeker than The Clone Wars, but the Wookiees didn't look that great.

I also liked, as mentioned in the review, at how the show tries to appeal to all-ages. Never during the episode(s) did I feel the show was "too childish," but it also wasn't over the top mature either. The show overall manages to appeal to all ages which I feel will benefit the series as it'll keep both kids and adults entertained and engaged.

@k4tzm4n: Just out of curiosity, but what was the line that you felt was unnecessary?

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So many feels through out this show. I'm hoping they also use it to wrap up some plot lines in The Clone Wars.

Ulfberht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was way better than I expected.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Very good and clearly an all ages cartoon, I think they found a very good balance between mature and for kids. There wasn't even one moment when I thought "that is for children", ok maybe the slingshot but thats nipicking :P Also I got the chills when Kenan pulled out his lightsaber and everyone was stunned, you really feel that being a Jedi now is something important and majestic, the music helped a lot. And speaking of music, the soundtrack is very enjoyable up to this point, taking classics and remaking them to fit the show, throuroughly enjoyed the music.

I only care for Kenan at the moment. Probably because we know what he went through as a Jedi with Order 66 and the rise of the empire. Erza is still Aladdin in space, seriously he even looks like Aladdin :P
As for the others, I didn't have any feelings for them but thats not a problem since we are still on the first episode, I am sure the characters will be fleched out.

Good start, eagerly waiting the next episode!

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to pass on this show, but now I'm thinking I should at least give this episode a look.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lurkero

I was satisfied with this premier. The tone of Rebels is lighthearted, but there were some obvious moments of conflict that had mature overtones. There is a chance that the seriousness will be there but without the graphic violence that Disney wants to avoid. That's all I ask for in my all-audiences shows.

Besides, clones and star fighters still can't aim so I don't expect too many people to be shot.

After the horrible, horrible way Cartoon Network treated Beware the Batman recently, I'm glad this show is here to bring a new hope to action cartoons.

Disney is likely going to be the last hope for American action cartoons. Nick has TMNT but that's about it.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it alot surprisingly. So far I love all of the cast.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainHoopla

This was a great premier episode and definitely has me onboard going forward. I'm kinda surprised how much I enjoyed it. Does anybody know when the next episode and regular schedule begins?

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great premier episode and definitely has me onboard going forward. I'm kinda surprised how much I enjoyed it. Does anybody know when the next episode and regular schedule begins?

It starts airing regularly October 13, with new episodes following every Monday night at 9:00 pm on Disney XD.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

After the horrible, horrible way Cartoon Network treated Beware the Batman Young Justice recently, I'm glad this show is here to bring a new hope to action cartoons.

*Fixed it. :)

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

I liked the pilot, this series has some potential. I hope the series becomes just as good as the Clone Wars (even though Weisman left).

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ezra's Aladdin-ness was pretty annoying at times. But nitpicking aside, this was an astounding pilot.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

The foundation for this show is solid, and if he keeps getting better like Clone Wars did, then we could have a really special show.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not interested since there doesn't seem to be any old characters in the show but I haven't watched it so not sure. They should've finished TCW first.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clone Wars was suppose to go up to Season 8 I believe. Shame, I was really excited about the episode where Captain Rex and R2-D2 go on an adventure together.

Avatar image for dancingwithdeadpool
DancingWithDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to pass up on this series. Considering all the good reviews, I might just have to tune in next time it's on.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I thought this episode was mediocre actually.

TenEyedMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

@teneyedmen said:

After the horrible, horrible way Cartoon Network treated Beware the Batman Young Justice recently, I'm glad this show is here to bring a new hope to action cartoons.

*Fixed it. :)

You didn't fix anything. Young Justice was treated FAR better.

Also, one thing I didn't like was Ezra using the lightsaber. It should have been kept a surprise when THAT reveal happens.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I wasn't really a fan of Space Aladdin

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teneyedmen: You call an unscheduled hiatus (which lasted around half a year) and no advertising for when the show came back to be better? Season 2 was intentionally murdered by CN's production staff. YJ has had tens of thousands of fans sign online petitions for it to come back and CN refuses to bring it back. Beware the Batman will not be missed as much, nor should it be (because batman doesn't need any more media attention in a universe comprised of hundreds of popular heroes).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I actually enjoyed it quite a lot. I want more Sabine, though.

Bobsjonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Favorite spot in the Star Wars timeline! Truly enjoyed the show ,looking forward this season.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't want to like this but I did, shows you how much I know. The kid needs to go though.

SWagner017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I got to watch it this weekend and really enjoyed the show. Was pretty happy that the first 2 episodes just dove into the material to get you into the action rather than having that origin story feel by focusing on the background of every character. I'm sure we will learn more about the cast as the series progresses. Looks like it is off to a good start and looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't like space Aladdin, otherwise good, but kind of kiddish for me. Biggest problem I had with TCW was that the Jedi were so weak and powerless 90% of the time. I also hope that we get Vader to come kill someone in the show, because it wouldn't be star wars otherwise.

HuiZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good show. Looks bad, but good.

TenEyedMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TenEyedMen

@dngn4774 said:

@teneyedmen: You call an unscheduled hiatus (which lasted around half a year) and no advertising for when the show came back to be better? Season 2 was intentionally murdered by CN's production staff. YJ has had tens of thousands of fans sign online petitions for it to come back and CN refuses to bring it back. Beware the Batman will not be missed as much, nor should it be (because batman doesn't need any more media attention in a universe comprised of hundreds of popular heroes).

Beware had the same treatment, only worse. YJ wasn't pulled from CN outright and wasn't burned off at a marathon.

Cry me a river.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

Beware had the same treatment, only worse. YJ wasn't pulled from CN outright and wasn't burned off at a marathon.

Cry me a river.

The only difference being no one actually wants Beware the Batman back (well besides you). It was a weaker show than young justice and only had cool animation going for it. If you took a poll on which show fans miss more YJ stomps BwTB.

TenEyedMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

@teneyedmen said:

@dngn4774 said:

Cry me a river.

The only difference being no one actually wants Beware the Batman back (well besides you). It was a weaker show than young justice and only had cool animation going for it. If you took a poll on which show fans miss more YJ stomps BwTB.

I'm not arguing about what show was better or not. I was arguing about what show was treated objectively worse by CN, and that was Beware.