Poe Dameron #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

It's hard to believe that Poe Dameron originally was meant to be killed in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. He may not have had the biggest screen time in the movie but was a welcomed new edition to the Star Wars universe. With this series, we'll get to find out more about who he is, inside and out of an X-Wing fighter thanks to Charles Soule and Phil Noto.

Taking place shortly before Force Awakens, General Organa has tasked Dameron on an important, and most likely dangerous, mission. Soule does a great job balancing the space-flying action along with moments of conversation where we get to see Dameron's charm ooze out. BB-8 fans also get to see the spunky little droid riding along with Poe as they embark on their mission.

It's always a treat to see Phil Noto's art. He has a great way of capturing the real-life likeness of actors while adding in his own style. The ships, aliens, and locations look exactly like what you would want from a Star Wars comic. You'll find yourself eagerly turning the page to see what wonders will come up next.

The downside to this story taking place before Force Awakens is certain elements are limited. We have a vague idea what's going to happen or where the story will likely end up. We know regardless of how much danger Poe gets in, he's going to come out without a scratch. Soule does brilliantly tap into the fun and excitement of the Star Wars universe. With the focus of the mission started in this issue and the connection to Force Awakens, this is going to be an interesting story. I can't wait to see what the First Order is capable of doing.

There is also a fantastic BB-8 back up written and drawn by Chris Eliopoulos with color by Jordie Bellaire. If this story doesn't bring a smile to your face, I'm not sure what more to tell you.

Poe Dameron was a great new character introduced into the Star Wars universe. Because we only got a small taste of who he is, Charles Soule and Phil Noto get to flesh him out more as we witness a mission that leads into the movie. There may be some limitations as to what can or cannot happen because of this time period, but the issue is setting up a rip roaring grand adventure. The BB-8 back up by Eliopoulos and Bellaire is a delightful bonus. If you're hungering for more Star Wars fun after watching Force Awakens, you won't want to miss this book.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

While the backup was kinda cool, I really wish there was more Noto story or no backup with reduced price.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Worried Disney wont use Marvel to cash in on every opportunity to re-sell you ever Force Awakens character one at a time? Have no fear, Poe gets his own comic, probably a BB-8 kids mini series next, then Rey will get hers (probably a long series of her mastering everything she tries on the first attempt) and then just for the heck of we'll give Finn an origin story comic even though the movie gave it to you in about 45 seconds when he helped Poe escape.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday: a lot of those sound awesome. Who cares how much content is put out so long as it's enjoyable, just like this issue was.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Rey will get hers (probably a long series of her mastering everything she tries on the first attempt).

You're probably closer to how it'll go than you think... :)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 owie  Moderator

This was very enjoyable. I honestly didn't care for him that much in the movie, this fleshes him out more and makes him interesting. I like the story so far and of course Noto is always great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I'm going to love this series.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Excited to read this!

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not hyped. I want a Rey comic series.

Ohgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the art in this book to be extremely underwhelming. All the panels of the x-wing flying looked more like it was just hovering still and not actually moving forward. Phil Noto needs to learn how to draw motion, because this issue seriously lacked any sense of it.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was alright. Nothing special in my opinion. Unlike the Obi-wan Anakin limited series. I wish that was ongoing.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Nothing less and nothing more than just an average issue. Poe Dameron's first issue has the least exciting and intriguing story compared to all the other recent Star Wars series by Marvel (I did not read Kanan and Shattered Empire though), and the bonus story feels like it should have been for free instead of upping the price.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@donfelipe: Those were the two best Marvel Star Wars titles IMO.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@xwraith: Yeah, I couldn't add those two to my pull list back then as I like to stay below a certain number; ideally 25. I tried 20 but it's working too well. Anyhow, Shattered Empire is still on my to-do list.

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What the hell guys!

Disney is force feeding the audiences with every crap they can think of and own the rights to and you actually support this??