• 125 results
Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I keep reading on and on about how much Slott sucks as a writer, but why? I think he`s a fine writer.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I keep reading on and on about how much Slott sucks as a writer, but why? I think he`s a fine writer.

i agree, but most people don't like him because of superior spider-man and what he has done to black cat and a few other storylines like spider-island

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

his recent work on all new amazing is just meh and dissapointing with black cat completely acting out of character, anne marie surprisingly acting okay with peter especially seeing her making out with silk, silk being some kind of mary sue, etc.

his goblin nation was pretty dissapointing too

Natalia_Dante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because generally speaking, people (online) who are unhappy about something tend to be more vocal than those who are happy. And they'll voice the same complaints again, and again. A groupthink kind of tends to start to form, where the same people talk about the same thoughts over and over.

There's nothing really inherently wrong with this, but it does tend to give a false representation of what the majority of people can think. Especially when applied to Slott, who's had a seemingly divisive run.

If you go by what you see on CV (I don't really frequent other sites), Slott is an awful writer, a terrible person, and should never touch Spidey again.

But the sales of Superior and ASM under his hand will tell you a markedly different story of what people think of his run.

I don't read Spider-Man, so I don't really have an opinion on him as a writer one way or another.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I liked his Mighty Avengers

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because generally speaking, people (online) who are unhappy about something tend to be more vocal than those who are happy. And they'll voice the same complaints again, and again. A groupthink kind of tends to start to form, where the same people talk about the same thoughts over and over.

There's nothing really inherently wrong with this, but it does tend to give a false representation of what the majority of people can think. Especially when applied to Slott, who's had a seemingly divisive run.

If you go by what you see on CV (I don't really frequent other sites), Slott is an awful writer, a terrible person, and should never touch Spidey again.

But the sales of Superior and ASM under his hand will tell you a markedly different story of what people think of his run.

I don't read Spider-Man, so I don't really have an opinion on him as a writer one way or another.

it's gotten to the point where I've started avoiding ASM reviews on this site because it's always the same people coming in to the threads each time to tell everyone how much they hate Slott and how stupid everyone is for reading it...it's really getting old

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because his ASM is terrible, and I'm sick of seeing people wank about how great it is.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Sales will never be an indicator of quality. Popularity will never be an indicator of quality.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

his recent work on all new amazing is just meh and dissapointing with black cat completely acting out of character, anne marie surprisingly acting okay with peter especially seeing her making out with silk, silk being some kind of mary sue, etc.

his goblin nation was pretty dissapointing too

you didn't like goblin nation?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@natalia_dante said:

Sales will never be an indicator of quality. Popularity will never be an indicator of quality.

Yeah if that was the case then we would all have to admit Justin Bieber is the greatest singer to ever live and that's just not going to happen

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

Yeah if that was the case then we would all have to admit Justin Bieber is the greatest singer to ever live and that's just not going to happen

of course you are right to say sales do not indicate quality, but i guarantee you that more people dislike JB than like JB. i dont think you can say that about spiderman comics. at least not with slotts run or most spidey writers runs. when it comes to art quality is very subjective and the only indicator marvel cares about is sales. only sales will tell them if they are doing something right or wrong. even consumers look to sales and popularity to see if a product may be good.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hes one of my favorite writers and im worried that the next person to write spidey wont be nearly as good as him. i think the few people that dislike him just dont like how slott writes differently than most spidey writers. the problem or advantage with having stories go on for decades with many different writers is that they all write differently, sometimes very differently. as a result, its expected that some wont like certain takes on the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are far worse writers out there (Humphries, Filakov,) but Slott is guilty of trying to do too much at the expense of his characters. I mean, in the course of a year, we've had 3 Spider-Men come and go (Kaine, Miggy and SpOck), and now he's trying to jam a fourth one in with Silk.

He hit the big time with Spider-Island, which is a lot better then people give it credit far. It was a mess, with 16 different characters, but it was still fun. But after that, he seemed to run out of steam until superior. His consistency is really not there. He'll do something really cool, then run out of steam, then do something cool again, then run out of steam again. I'm worried after Spider-Verse, he's gonna hit one of those crashes again.

I know another thing that gets people about Slott, including me, is his constant nostalgia trip. You see it everywhere, from the art styles, to the dialoge, to the villain choices. It get's annoying after a while, because I do want to see new villains and new characters, but I can't get that if we have to have Spidey throw down with the Green Goblin every other year.

And speaking of dialog, some his characterization is just awful. His Black Cat in particular. Or Sanji screaming "What the hello kitty?!". It's not the profanity, it's the fact you have a woman who is a SCIENTIST saying such things. He really needs to take some lessons from Bendis on how to write women, in my opinion.

All in all, Dan Slott is not a terrible writer, but he's not the hot shot bad ass others make him out to be. I still think after Spider-Verse, Bendis or Yost should get a shot at ASM.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He didn't do well with She-Hulk, making her a hypocrite and then an idiot. For me at least he's over rated.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189 said:

All in all, Dan Slott is not a terrible writer, but he's not the hot shot bad ass others make him out to be. I still think after Spider-Verse, Bendis or Yost should get a shot at ASM.

3 spidey books from bendis per month? i dont know about that. i also woudnt want him to ever leave ultimate spiderman, i know that for sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189 said:

3 spidey books from bendis per month? i dont know about that. i also woudnt want him to ever leave ultimate spiderman, i know that for sure.

Bendis has never written for ASM, so I think he'd make it something special.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think he's a really good writer, I loved Superior Spider-Man. Not that into his Silver Surfer series, and now that Peter is back to normal I've also lost interest in that series, but for the most part he is fantastic.

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Probably because he's a bad writer.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FearTheLiving

People hate change, people love the writer when they're writing stories about what they want, but when that's flipped they hate them. Most of the time it's not even the quality of the story just the change itself they can't look past. In Dan Slott's case it was Superior Spider-man and a more recent one is Jason Aaron's Thor which hasn't even come out yet and is getting flack.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@symbioticspider-man:

I believe the reason is that some feel he's derailing classic characters in order to prop up his own. I believe this started with Superior where people feel the story was saying Otto is a better protagonist than Peter despite him having very little remorse for what he did as Doctor Octopus. Then there's the plot armor Otto had that was really jarring. the current reason is that people feel Peter is being made too look incompetent and Black Cat being made a villain in order to prop up Silk.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Claymore1998

People can hate Dan all they want , it's still the top selling book at marvel.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zarius

@claymore1998 said:

People can hate Dan all they want , it's still the top selling book at marvel.

You know the saying, "Just because it's succesful does'nt mean it's good"

We all know Bayformer movies are cack, but they make a lot of money. There are more gullible people out there than intelligent ones unfortunatly.

>People hate change, people love the writer when they're writing stories about what they want, but when that's flipped they hate them.<

Spider-Island gave me what I wanted (no more Peter/Carlie, MJ kicking ass) and it's really not that well written, I would not go back and re-read it or consider it a classic. People may not like change, but they also simply don't like badly written comics either. They like a little thing called "consistency" and don't appreciate their intelligence being insulted when characters act out-of-synch with how they normally behave and does not match up with previous interpretations. It shows a lack of concern from a writer and exposes them as being outright lazy. Some people hated Superior because everyone in the book acted like idiots around Otto, his deception would not have fooled anyone if Slott had bothered to keep everyone from The Avengers to Felicia to May to MJ in-character. The story should have been a deconstruction of why this particular kind of crazy mind-swap storyline cannot work in Spidey's current continuity or in the Marvel universe littered with psychics and sorcerors who can detect b.s like this.

And yes, to someone who said "according to CV Slott is a terrible person", if you go by guys like me and many other people who have had personal experiances with him via social interaction, you will know first had what an egotistical prick the guy is, in love with his own legend, characters and treasured "sales figures"

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DanSlott

@zarius said:

And yes, to someone who said "according to CV Slott is a terrible person", if you go by guys like me and many other people who have had personal experiances with him via social interaction, you will know first had what an egotistical socially inept prick the guy is.

No offense, but weren't you Zarius, ZT4, and a couple of other aliases over at CBR who kept getting banned from the boards for rude behavior and then kept sock-puppeting back on? C'mon.

I think with me you get back as good as you give. And if you act like a troll I'm not going to sit back and take it. I regularly have wonderfully polite discussions with people about comics on the internet. If you're civil w/ me, I'm more than happy to be civil with you.

However, if you feel like your love-or-hate for a fictional character gives you free license to go off on me when you engage with me online, you're either going to get ignored or get a little of that fired back at you. And if you think swearing at me through the veil of an online screen name equals "personal experiences via social interaction", you probably need to unplug, go outside, and actually talk to some real people face-to-face for a bit.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Because, besides Big Time, his arcs and writing is mediocre. I liked Superior though.

- TAS

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: Sir I think you are better off just contacting a mod or a staff.

We have some really helpful mods like Mercy_ and BumpyBoo.

I got into Spiderman fairly recently and still catching up on Superior Spiderman and in love your writing.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: I think that's a very contradictory statement. The very object of comics is to sell more copies and make money. If it's doing what was intended, it's good.

As long as sometimes does exactly what was intended, and does so well enough to overshadow every other book at Marvel at the moment it's doing a great job , at least that's how I see it :)

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's alright

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

The only issue I have with him is he tends to be inconsistent with stuff, but other then that I like him.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: People have to understand the biggest over-arching goal of a comic book company is to tell stories that people are most likely to buy.

Consistency in a characters portrayal , power level , preferences are all secondary over being able to create good stories that would sell.

Is sad but true.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't matter if people hate Slott. They bought Superior Spider-Man. They're still reading Amazing Spider-Man. There you go.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: So as long as something sells good, even if it's crap, to you, it's good?

Do you see what's wrong with this statement?

Beata

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

Slott's not a terrible writer. He just has a HUGE problem with characters.

He always puts his Mary Sues above everyone(Silk,Carlie Cooper). And a good portion of his stories need characters to act totally out of character for them to make sense.

Beata

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: actually yes. It might be bad from your perspective but not from a general perspective. And we are not talking about selling a lot of 1 issue but being no 2 selling comics for 2 straight years.

If the comics was bad , by the same token , it's sales wouldn't have rose to a point that core spiderman series has been the highest selling comics for 2 straight years. The only comics selling as much , or slightly better are Batman core titles.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189: Slott has 2 years of Spider-Man plot stories down the pipeline. I doubt that he's going anywhere anytime soon. But I think that the augment is for the return of Spider-Man's satellite titles. And it's possible that he might wrap up his run on Spider-Man by 2017 because of two important milestones? the 30th Anniversary of the Wedding, in which he'll marry Mary Jane off to Pedro...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@teerack: People have to understand the biggest over-arching goal of a comic book company is to tell stories that people are most likely to buy.

Consistency in a characters portrayal , power level , preferences are all secondary over being able to create good stories that would sell.

Is sad but true.

I don't understand why you said that in response to me... I don't care about characters power levels and stats like at all in any way... I'm talking about Slott's actual stories are very inconsistent themselves... for example in ASM 700 Peter over whelms Otto with all of his guilt and it changes Otto's attitude and he promises to look after his loved ones and be a good spider-man for him, but then the next issue with SSM 1 it was pretty much like that entire scene never took place. There have also been lots of times where Carlie would flip flop and act out sequence with the way she had been developing. I still like him as a writer but he is really consistent with being inconsistent with characters and just tends to add on to and change characters personalities without any development. Also I'm not just talking about the tragedy happening with Black Cat because I think that has to be some kind of twist.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

for example in ASM 700 Peter over whelms Otto with all of his guilt and it changes Otto's attitude and he promises to look after his loved ones and be a good spider-man for him, but then the next issue with SSM 1 it was pretty much like that entire scene never took place.

it did affect him. if it didnt ssm would have showed him as a villain. he was not. he captured bad guys and worked with other heroes. if he was still a villain ssm would have been about some evil plan. he had different morals than peter and did things very differently than pete would, but he still did his best to help the city.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@averywetfrog: He lol'd about how easy it was to kill Peter.

Beata

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By averywetfrog

@spidey_jackson: he clearly wasnt a bad guy. even now he is going to different universes to save as many spidermen as he can. he has been mostly good since ssm#1.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

@averywetfrog: He never seemed good. I got the impression he only was being a hero to prove he could do it better than Peter.

Beata

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

…..and Slott is baaaaaaaaack!

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DanSlott

@spidey_jackson said:

@averywetfrog: He lol'd about how easy it was to kill Peter.

Beata

I think the more accurate way to say that is: He lol'd about how easy it was for a certain section of the internet to collectively go batsh*t crazy over the killing of Peter Parker.

There are still YouTube videos out there of people crying and burning their copies of ASM #700 on the week it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py7NZI5R07o

But keep in mind, that's NOT the overall fanbase. The readership didn't just swoop up ASM #700 off the rack, they made it one of the best selling issues of ANY comic in years-- enough to go back to print 4 times. The book was released on Christmas-- and it was still being reprinted in April for God's sake.

And it'd be one thing if it just sold well because of the impact of the story, the fact it was ASM #700, or that it had garnered media attention...

...but when it came time for fans to vote for Marvel's Top 75 stories of all-time for the MARVEL 75th ANNIVERSARY OMNIBUS, it received thousands and thousands of unique votes and clocked in at #46-- and will be included as one of the 7 Spider-Man stories in that volume (alongside classics like Amazing Fantasy #15, Spider-Man No More, If This Be My Destiny, The post-September 11th issue, The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man, and The Night Gwen Stacy Died.).

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54690

Along with a Fraction/Aja issue of Hawkeye, it will be the only other Marvel Comic from the 2010's that made the cut.

Writing that issue was a labor of love. And I knew damn well the sh*t storm I was flying into for writing it. (Didn't think it'd get full-on death-threat-crazy though!)

But if you think that I THOUGHT it'd be "easy", you really don't know me at all.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@claymore1998: Girl,you come here often?! :P

@danslott said:

I think the more accurate way to say that is: He lol'd about how easy it was for a certain section of the internet to collectively go batsh*t crazy over the killing of Peter Parker.

Seriously,is this SO unnatural?.....i mean,you(plural) didn't expect it?

I was FURIOUS at you.......and at Wacker.
I started,slowly realising that this is comics,and that he'll be back,at some point,etc,and started enjoying the ride.But i was one of the batsh|t crazy people.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

…..and Slott is baaaaaaaaack!

You haven't realised how good this is.
This is a direct approach to a Marvel writer.Maybe he won't say a lot,but you're discussing with a Marvel writer.Arguement it is,conversation it is,doesn't matter.
You're talking to the man who writes Spider-Man.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pizzaman

Dan Slott pops in like japanese spidey.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189: Slott has 2 years of Spider-Man plot stories down the pipeline. I doubt that he's going anywhere anytime soon. But I think that the augment is for the return of Spider-Man's satellite titles. And it's possible that he might wrap up his run on Spider-Man by 2017 because of two important milestones? the 30th Anniversary of the Wedding, in which he'll marry Mary Jane off to Pedro...

You could be right. I would love to see a Spectacular Spider-Man or a Peter Parker: Spider-Man make a come back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I'm not big on his spiderman personally but I loved his Arkham Asylum. Everyone should stop doing whatever they just so happen to be doing and check that out.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not big on his spiderman personally but I loved his Arkham Asylum. Everyone should stop doing whatever they just so happen to be doing and check that out.

Yeah, "Arkham Asylum" is pretty good. A little disjointed in places but overall enjoyable. The artwork is amazing.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pizzaman said:

Dan Slott pops in like japanese spidey.

No Caption Provided

LMAO

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

@danslott: I was talking about Otto......

And of course i don't know you.

Beata

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By magnetic_eye

I don't hate Dan Slott. I don't know him personally. I just strongly dislike his writing style for Spider-Man.

No Caption Provided