Why doesn't Spider-Man enjoy fighting?

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's apparently in his character to keep fighting till he dies and is one of the most primal fighters when backed into a corner, so why doesn't he embrace the feeling he gets when he releases stress in battle instead of embracing fear and doubt? I'm not saying he needs to be a full on blood knight like herc or thor, but I have to wonder why he doesn't used scraps and battles as a secondary coping mechanism next to his jokes to build confidence in himself and improve his psyche without going insane?

Firedude17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would get addicted to beating the crap out of villains for relieving stress.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firedude17:

I see this as a good thing it would relieve spiderman from villains when his normal affairs are a main focus and villains are too scared to threaten him in his personal time.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spider11211

Just because you can kick butt doesn't mean that you like to. Hurting others even when needed can cause a person to question ones actions, for example how would you feel if you accidentally killed or gravely hurt a person, now think of that with the Parker guilt.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Because Peter isn't a violent or dark person at heart, the few times Peter does engage in these types of actions. He keeps himself in check and control, enjoying fighting is something Daredevil does.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because Peter isn't a violent or dark person at heart, the few times Peter does engage in these types of actions. He keeps himself in check and control, enjoying fighting is something Daredevil does.

I fully agree with you for once.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theheaven_guardian10: You dont need to be dark and troubled to enjoy fighting and its a part of the character to enjoy being spidey to escape his his troubles life so i do not see how him being able to love beating up villians isn't a portion of his purpose when fighting period.

Plus it would make him more relatable and human.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimishim12

Also i disagree that Parker isn't prone to violence naturally as he always has a bit of a short fuse when provoked and is expected of him to lash out for no reason.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: The violent part of being Spider-Man is something Peter isn't fond of, sure he gets a joy in smack bad guys and certain villains around from time to time. But going out and beating the crap out of criminals and villains, when Peter has a bad day isn't his thing nor should be. Him being Spider-Man to escape is trouble life, was something he did when he was younger. Still that reasons isn't even a major factor why Peter does what he does.

I personally don't think so.

SpideyJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because with great power comes great responsibility

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man only likes violence when he's driven at least half out of his mind like shortly before and during parts of the clone saga. Even then it's probably not fully Peter but him largely giving in to the totemic part of himself as JMS didn't make that stuff out of thin air but built upon several hints Dematteis placed in Kraven's Last Hunt and other stories.

In the Ultimate Spider-Man comics there's an issue where Peter expresses his dislike of violence he doesn't find fighting people with metal octopus arms and such fun MJ goes c'mon punching Norman Osborn and he confesesses that was satisfying.

Peter would have probably killed Norman after Gwen's death but when Norman was impaled on his glider Peter felt no satisfaction for Gwen seemingly being avenged rather it was so meaningless and empty he wouldn't wish death on his worst enemy that is not the attitude of a lover of violence.

Finally while Otto has never had trouble brutalizing women who have crossed him Peter hates hitting women to a degree that has been very dangerous to him on multiple occasions.

Avatar image for deactivated-59848080e4380
deactivated-59848080e4380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan said:

@theheaven_guardian10 said:

I fully agree with you for once.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man only likes violence when he's driven at least half out of his mind like shortly before and during parts of the clone saga. Even then it's probably not fully Peter but him largely giving in to the totemic part of himself as JMS didn't make that stuff out of thin air but built upon several hints Dematteis placed in Kraven's Last Hunt and other stories.

In the Ultimate Spider-Man comics there's an issue where Peter expresses his dislike of violence he doesn't find fighting people with metal octopus arms and such fun MJ goes c'mon punching Norman Osborn and he confesesses that was satisfying.

Peter would have probably killed Norman after Gwen's death but when Norman was impaled on his glider Peter felt no satisfaction for Gwen seemingly being avenged rather it was so meaningless and empty he wouldn't wish death on his worst enemy that is not the attitude of a lover of violence.

Finally while Otto has never had trouble brutalizing women who have crossed him Peter hates hitting women to a degree that has been very dangerous to him on multiple occasions.

I forgot he placed hints in some of the past work. Still didn't care for the 'Spider Chose you to give you its powers' i would rather it be 'the spider totem spared you from the death of the bite'...i dunno. Just me.

Gotta say, you hit this stuff dead on. Peter detests violence and even holds back. The last comics that he probably went fully out on were I think the RYV series, as he decided to kill Venom and mutilate Dock Ock for the sake of his family. But as years passed, Peter was plagued by nightmares over his guilt of killing Eddie. He still felt what he did was wrong and in a way regrets what he did. Thus when the final battle commenced, he didn't kill Roman. He had a moral code that he realized he could not break, especially more than ever when he has a daughter that looks up to him.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyjj: said

"Because with great power comes great responsibility."

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

That's right, because Peter is not a sadist. Why anyone would like him to be addicted to that kind of behaviour is so strange.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By clonesaga2099

We had that in the 90s when he became the Spider and was just beating everyone up with no jokes. Just savage beatings, and he was miserable the whole time.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyjj: said

"Because with great power comes great responsibility."

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

That's right, because Peter is not a sadist. Why anyone would like him to be addicted to that kind of behaviour is so strange.

Again you don't see Thor enjoying fighting cuz he's a sadist, it's because it's a invigorating to him and gives him a happiness in expressing his strength. Peter to me always had a part of him where he always wanted to feel as powerful and driven as other heroes but never got the chance to due to traumatic psychosis and self consciousness.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't know of any good guy who enjoys fighting. even the guys like wolvie feel guilt from the things that they have done. are you asking why doesn't spiderman enjoy his powers? spiderman loves web slinging and other stuff like that. however, since spiderman is a hero instead of a villain, he doesn't just use his powers to go around terrorizing people.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimishim12

i don't know of any good guy who enjoys fighting. even the guys like wolvie feel guilt from the things that they have done. are you asking why doesn't spiderman enjoy his powers? spiderman loves web slinging and other stuff like that. however, since spiderman is a hero instead of a villain, he doesn't just use his powers to go around terrorizing people.

Thor loves it, Hulk in some forms love it, depending on how he's written Deadpool loves it the most, then theres Kaine from the other Spider-Men.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper said:

Thor loves it, Hulk in some forms love it, depending on how he's written Deadpool loves it the most, then theres Kaine from the other Spider-Men.

thor is the norse god of strength as well as thunder. he wields a hammer. the hulk is a beast built upon rage. even these 2 don't go around just beating people up for no reason most of the time. even dumb versions of the hulk says stuff like leave hulk alone. even the hulk tries to avoid conflict a lot of the times. the only time is when he is totally enraged. the hulk and thor fight bad guys. they don't seek them out.