Avatar image for lord-spider-boy
lord-spider-boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By lord-spider-boy

Poll Was Dan Slott a good Spider-Man writer? (48 votes)

Yes. 23%
No. 77%

Do you think Dan Slott had a good run on Spider-Man? I personally think he didn't. What did you think?

• 
ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

At the beginning he was decent all the way until Superior. That's when he bit the shark and went on a nosedive.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ZariusII

He started out with promise, but as his ego got bigger, his talent eroded. Superior is regarded as his masterpiece but to me it was one of the worst Spider-Man stories ever and you need to feign complete ignorance of Spider-Man comics in order for it and the Parker Industries era to remotely work.

His best stories

1. Learning to Crawl

2. New Ways to Die

3. Renew Your Vows

4. Mysterioso

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Lvenger

He started out decently but after Ends of the Earth Slott went downhill and Superior was the first major signal that Slott was the wrong writer to handle the direction of the Spider-Man comics.

Punisher_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering he spent a decade on Spider-Man and only had maybe one or two series's that were mildly good I would say NO. He in a lot of peoples eyes ruined Spider-Man.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By g2_

No.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes.

SaviorSorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. New ways to Die was okay, but most of his stuff after gaining full control was awful. A better artist may of also helped. Ramos' art was ugly af.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb95a9a712cb
deactivated-5bb95a9a712cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was one of the best runs in recent history. My only complain is that he used Ramos more often than other artists. Stefano Caseli was awesome.

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I liked him well enough

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was one of the best runs in recent history.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb95a9a712cb
deactivated-5bb95a9a712cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
@minerboh80 said:

He was one of the best runs in recent history.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Fat_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan Slott was garbage. Good riddance.

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but he lost a lot of steam after superior.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jashro44

He had a good start but I agree with others, his momentum died quickly. He had a lot of ideas that weren't well utilized either.

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

I am glad Nick Spencer replaced him.

Knutcracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

read stradinkskis run, then read slob's run

you will notice a difference between both

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd9371ae7062
deactivated-5fd9371ae7062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally no his story is OK but his character power levels was all over the place

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

thigfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He had a few sparkles of brilliance, but overall he was a pretty bad writer

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He did some good things and some bad ones. I'd say it's a mixed bag for me.

Spidey1964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to say yes after Superior Spider-Man issue 2.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Invain

I couldn't ever read his full run, despite multiple attempts. Maybe a better artist would of helped, but medicore to bad writing + an art style I don't care for = unreadable.

SirKaboom15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked him. Then I started reading JMS. Slott's not bad, but he is when compared to the other Spider-Man writers. Except for Spencer, who just spews out garbage now.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZariusII

@sirkaboom15 said:

I liked him. Then I started reading JMS. Slott's not bad, but he is when compared to the other Spider-Man writers. Except for Spencer, who just spews out garbage now.

Spencer's work isn't garbage at all, it's far superior to Slott's work. People simply don't like it because they want to get to the fireworks factory and they're not giving the story a chance to breathe. Bunch of impatient ingrates if you ask me.

SirKaboom15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: I thought Spencer was great up until the Sin-Eater stuff. Everything post that is awful.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh....Slott is a 7 out of 10 writer for Spidey.

The people who HATE him usually do because of Ramos, and half of the rest are still mad about Superior Spider-man being a thing.

He's a good writer for Spidey, but his biggest downfall is that more often then not it's like a saturday morning cartoon when it comes to dialogue which is a bad combo when he's aiming for fresh unexpected plots.

He's ok, and brought alot of cool stuff to the Spiderverse...but the things that hurt him HURT HIM BAD at least in the fans eyes.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Thor-Parker

Yes and no.

There is no wrong answer, because he is both a good and bad Spider-Man writer, his initial run from Big Time all the way to Dying Wish was great, his Superior Spider-Man while hated by many fans was praised by critics and I personally enjoyed it a lot. However, almost everything he did after Superior was straight garbage with no reedemable qualities, it wasn't until the book got back to its original numbering that the book got a little bit better, but even then it was still far from good.

The only good arcs Slott did after Superior Spider-Man were Renew Your vows (which was an elseworlds), Spider-Verse, and Go Down Swinging along with his farewell issue #801.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ZariusII

@thor-parker: Spider-Verse was rubbish as well, the movie was better, so was the 1990s animated series last episode which originated the concept. It's sequel Spidergeddon is also better as it was essentially a fix-fic for every misfire from the original story and Clone Conspiracy.

Spideerfan002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Spideerfan002

@zariusii said:

@thor-parker: Spider-Verse was rubbish as well, the movie was better, so was the 1990s animated series last episode which originated the concept. It's sequel Spidergeddon is also better as it was essentially a fix-fic for every misfire from the original story and Clone Conspiracy.

Spider-verse was not great but Spider geddon is pretty trash.Miles getting the engima force was so forced and poorly done ,Doc ock stuff was also not thet great in general and Pete was not even present for most of it.They also killed spider-noir,spider uk and spider man from the amazing friends and spider-cat for shock value.Also the dialogue was clunky as heck.The point of spider-verseOnly great thing was the Peter vs morlun tie in.

I think aside from big time,spider-island and related stuff were good.But superior was trashy and robbed us off one year of ASM and so many tie-ins and everything after was bad as well.

If you want me to elaborate as to why i think superior is trash I will.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes and no.

There is no wrong answer, because he is both a good and bad Spider-Man writer, his initial run from Big Time all the way to Dying Wish was great, his Superior Spider-Man while hated by many fans was praised by critics and I personally enjoyed it a lot. However, almost everything he did after Superior was straight garbage with no reedemable qualities, it wasn't until the book got back to its original numbering that the book got a little bit better, but even then it was still far from good.

Praised by critics means nothing when the fanbase doesn't praise it.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

I don't know, I enjoyed it a lot, I'm not blind to its faults but I think it succeded at being a cool multiverse popcorn fest, and even though the 1990s series did it first, it was this event that brought the concept to the modern era and made it succeed, so much that a movie was based on it.

On the other hand, I found Spider-Geddon lacking in comparison and Miles' role felt really shoehorned.

@zariusii said:

Spider-verse was not great but Spider geddon is pretty trash.Miles getting the engima force was so forced and poorly done ,Doc ock stuff was also not thet great in general and Pete was not even present for most of it.They also killed spider-noir,spider uk and spider man from the amazing friends and spider-cat for shock value.Also the dialogue was clunky as heck.The point of spider-verseOnly great thing was the Peter vs morlun tie in.

I think aside from big time,spider-island and related stuff were good.But superior was trashy and robbed us off one year of ASM and so many tie-ins and everything after was bad as well.

I agree, a lot of the deaths in Spider-Geddon was just for shock value, and Miles with the enigma force didn't feel like a natural progression of the story, just a convenience.

I do understand why some fans don't like Superior, I believe the book would have been much better received by fans if it had been an elseworlds, but knowing full well that it was just a matter of time before Peter got back and things got fixed, one can really enjoy Superior for what it is and try to appreciate the story. I found it so refreshing, it was interesting as hell to see a main villain literally taking control over the hero's life and see what he'd do next.

@eto said:
@thor-parker said:

Yes and no.

A lot of fans liked it too though, as far as I know.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

He's a very mixed bag in everyone's eyes. Slott's love and understanding of Spider-Man is vast and makes him one of the biggest Spider-Man experts out there, but at the same time it's what made him lose focus of what exactly is he doing. The love for the character and the desire to truly leave his mark on his history is what plagued Slott's stories most of the time and at the same it's what made them so special. In his historic run there are some true jems like New Ways to Die, Big Time and Spider-Verse, but there are also stories and concepts that never truly worked, e.g. Parker Industries and Superior Spider-Man(halfway though).

He will go down as one of the greats but his stories will be remembered as Average Joes in my eyes.

BornToLose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Average at his best and unreadable at his worst, with far more bad stories than good ones.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@tdk_1997 said:

He's a very mixed bag in everyone's eyes. Slott's love and understanding of Spider-Man is vast and makes him one of the biggest Spider-Man experts out there, but at the same time it's what made him lose focus of what exactly is he doing. The love for the character and the desire to truly leave his mark on his history is what plagued Slott's stories most of the time and at the same it's what made them so special. In his historic run there are some true jems like New Ways to Die, Big Time and Spider-Verse, but there are also stories and concepts that never truly worked, e.g. Parker Industries and Superior Spider-Man(halfway though).

He will go down as one of the greats but his stories will be remembered as Average Joes in my eyes.

Isn't that line a contradiction in itself?

I mean are you praising him or simply putting him on the average list? lol

Spideerfan002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the other hand, I found Spider-Geddon lacking in comparison and Miles' role felt really shoehorned.

I agree that Spider-verse although is not great is but is still better than Spider-geddon.Miles and Spock were both shoehorned but miles was plain atrocious.Also the ending was awful.

@spideerfan002 said:
@zariusii said:

I agree, a lot of the deaths in Spider-Geddon was just for shock value, and Miles with the enigma force didn't feel like a natural progression of the story, just a convenience.

Agreed

I do understand why some fans don't like Superior, I believe the book would have been much better received by fans if it had been an elseworlds, but knowing full well that it was just a matter of time before Peter got back and things got fixed, one can really enjoy Superior for what it is and try to appreciate the story. I found it so refreshing, it was interesting as hell to see a main villain literally taking control over the hero's life and see what he'd do next.

Because not only did it rob us of one year of ASM comics and tie-ins it also is a faulted story through and through.It needs us to believe that Everyone around Peter is a moron and People like MJ and May who literally know him for decades can't tell when he starts taking like a sociopath.It also single-handedly ruins MJ as a character and goes against literally everything she stands for.The panels for her leaving Peter are in stark contrast with the Panel where she decides to stay to help Peter through her grieve.It is her most famous and character defining moment.

Also the AVENGERS and other street level friends he interacted with in tie-ins loose 100 IQ points in their interactions.

Also to those who say that it is a Doc Ock story conveneintly gloss over the fact that Doc Ock was going to wreak havok using Spidey's body until Spidey gave Ock his memories and thus altered his personality because are personality is a sum total of our memories and experiences.Also the bit with Peter trying to take back the body when Ock is doing surgery is way out of character.Also even with the personality tweaks Ock goes through MJ's and Peter's intimate memories after getting Friendzoned and is impiled to have rubbed one off.Thats nearing Sins Past level gross and out of character.

Also the parts where they address Pete being a man-child and not living up to his responsibilty is literally all Dan Slott.He basically wrote a horrible Peter and then called it part of his "flaws".When Spencer address this in 60 he has the right to do so as he is fixing Slott's mess.

Also the interesting fallout and coping with breach of trust and "feeling as if his friends don't really know him" stuff is ignored via secret wars and we go straight back to and arguably a worse Man-child Parker who puts his employs in danger and ignore's calls to watch TV on a couch and Forget's to zip up his pants.Also Doc Ock comes straight back to life so his scarifice and Peter's return loose much of its impact.

Although the Goblin and Peter interaction with the joke are cool.That and the return of peter is all that is good.also the fact that 2099 Spiderman may have known that Pete is Ock would have been cool but is instead wasted.

@eto said:
@thor-parker said:

Yes and no.

A lot of fans liked it too though, as far as I know.

Not really,some people are just really vocal about it.Most people dislike it a lot or just ignore it.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideerfan002: Fair enough, I see where you're coming from, I don't necessarily agree with all of it but we can agree to disagree on those.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@eto said:
@tdk_1997 said:

Isn't that line a contradiction in itself?

I mean are you praising him or simply putting him on the average list? lol

A contradiction for sucha a controversial writer. He will go down as one of the greats as he has truly left his mark on Spidey and has written some very memorable stories which fans will always look back to. Some of them fans will remember with joy and love and others with pure distaste.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ZariusII

@tdk_1997: History already hasn't been kind to his Spider-Man stories, if Marvel thought they were worth the paper they were printed on, many of the ideas would have stuck, instead of being swept under the carpet and quietly downplayed/forgotten. The only 'mark' he left on the books was a nut-brown stain. Facts.