#1 Edited by AllNewOverseer (478 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a place where Spidey fans can share things that they like/hate about our favorite Wall Crawler that the majority of others hate/love. For me:

1. Even though I DON'T like it, I will say the current Parker Industries era of stories is a fair and valid interpretation of Batman, I mean Iron Man, I mean Blue Beetle, I mean Ted Cord, I mean the Peter Parker character

2. I prefer organic webs to web-shooters (even though I think organic webs should run out like web-shooters)

3. Even though I love Spidey's villains, outside of Eddie Brock's Venom, Norman and Harry Osborn's Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Ezekiel and Carnage, the Web Head's rogues gallery isn't very interesting (Kingpin became truly interesting as Daredevil villain and Doc Ock is just a fun but standard 1960's Mad Scientist)

4. I actually always thought Kraven was a cool villain even before Kraven's Last Hunt

5. Steve Ditko was a good artist and creator but I far prefer John Romita Sr.

6. I think half of Black Cat's character works because she didn't end up with Peter

7. I think that Gwen Stacy was a character only defined by other characters and has NEVER been interesting

8. I think that Norman should have stayed dead Harry should have stayed the Green Goblin

9. I liked most of Dan Slott's run up until after Ends of the Earth

10. I always thought Peter Parker was more interesting than Spider-Man

11. I liked the Spider-Totem stuff

12. I think the greatest Spider-Man game of all time is Persona 3

13. I think married Spider-Man is more interesting than an unmarried one

14. I like Spider-Man on a team (though preferably a more street level team)

15. I don't think Sins Past is as bad as everyone says (it's still bad but not that bad)

16. I like Maximum Carnage the comic

17. I like Spider-Man 3

18. I don't like Peter as a 250 IQ mega genius and prefer it when the genius aspect of Peter is there but down played in favor of his everyman status

19. I think Peter should never have left the Daily Bugle

20. I think that Spider-Man is a TERRIBLE escapist character

21. I think the Eddie Brock Venom is THE Spider-Man villain, even more so than the Green Goblin

22. I think Spider-Man is the most Japanese of the normally non-Japanese western superheroes even disregarding all the Japanese Spider-Man interpretations

23. I think the order of importance of Spider-Man major cast members is ideally; Peter, Mary Jane, Aunt May, Eddie Brock, Flash Thompson and J. Jonah Jameson

That's just some of my opinions on Spider-Man that I tend to disagree on with a good chunk of Spidey fans on. What about you folks? What are some things that you think about Spider-Man that you know aren't exactly popular ideas but you still believe?

#2 Edited by The_Waffle (690 posts) - - Show Bio

There hasn't been a great Spider-Man movie/game in around a decade.

Sins Past isn't bad at all aside from that twist.

Slotts entire run has been mediocre from the beginning.

Horizon Labs and Parker Industries can both burn to the ground and have nukes dropped on the rubble.

MJ > Gwen.

Spider-Man is not as smart as Stark, (he might be in other areas but that's up for debate).

Spider-Man should go back to teaching, maybe a position at ESU doing research on the side.

#3 Posted by iaconpoint (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything about Spider-Man has sucked since Chapter One.

The only writer worse than Dan Slott is Howard Mackie.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
#4 Edited by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I liked most of Dan Slott's run up until after Ends of the Earth.

2. Felicia Hardy is the main lady for Peter, they should get married and have little spiders and kittens.

3. I think married Spider-Man is more interesting than an unmarried one.

4. There hasn't been a great Spider-Man movie/game in around a decade.

5. I liked the Spider-Totem stuff.

#5 Posted by The_Kidd (12165 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Marvel's obsession towards keeping Peter a man-child is lame.
  2. Spider-man 1&2 were the only good movies the character ever had.
  3. They should get rid of Venom and the other symbiotes.
  4. Superior Spider-man was a good story line when you forget that most of Peter's friends/colleges fail to notice the drastic change in his personality.
  5. Kain>>>Ben Riley.
  6. Its time for Aunt May to die..again.
  7. ASM started to suck before Slott's arrival.
  8. Slott's run started off good but deteriorated over time.
Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
#6 Posted by AmazingSpiderman15 (1929 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_kidd said:
  1. Marvel's obsession towards keeping Peter a man-child is lame.
  2. Spider-man 1&2 were the only good movies the character ever had.
  3. They should get rid of Venom and the other symbiotes.
  4. Superior Spider-man was a good story line when you forget that most of Peter's friends/colleges fail to notice the drastic change in his personality.
  5. Kain>>>Ben Riley.
  6. Its time for Aunt May to die..again.
  7. ASM started to suck before Slott's arrival.
  8. Slott's run started off good but deteriorated over time.

i agree with all of these

#7 Posted by SpideyJJ (128 posts) - - Show Bio

I never liked Harry Osborn as a character

I don't consider Peter an 'everyman', he just winds up in relatable problems (a good looking super genius who attracts hot girls, even being married to a model at some point, with super powers is NOT the description of an everyman, he's actually a bit of a Mary Sue)

Peter as a scientist>>photographer & teacher

Aunt May should die and stay dead (should have happened years ago tbh)

I don't think the marriage is as important to the mythos as others do *ducks and hides behind couch*

I prefer Doc Ock to Venom and GG

#8 Posted by Dedonus (125 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish that they did more with the Peter Parker / Carol Danvers, even if it had to be in an "What If" style of comic.

#9 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Parker should still be married to Mary Jane.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
#10 Posted by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

@dedonus: I agree fully with this, good post.

#11 Edited by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

I dislike Mary Jane Watson

Spider-Man should not be married

At times, Steve Ditko's art was extremely sloppy

#12 Edited by knightwriteri (741 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the best Spider-Man film.

I liked Sins Past and feel the twist was good for Gwen's character and the pregnancy was very consistent with most of her characterizarion in the 60's-70's.

MC2's the true canon.

MJ's relatives were grossly underutilized in the marriage era.

Roger Stern's overated. (still pretty good)

I'd like to see an all female sinister six.

#13 Posted by frogdog (5557 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-man was stupid and pointless. If Slott wasn't a Doc Ock fanboy, he would have stop the story at issue 9

Avatar image for deactivated-59848080e4380
#14 Posted by deactivated-59848080e4380 (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@dedonus said:

I wish that they did more with the Peter Parker / Carol Danvers, even if it had to be in a "What If" style of comic.

I'm with you. Love this two together.

#15 Posted by muhabba (405 posts) - - Show Bio

1. "Even though I DON'T like it, I will say the current Parker Industries era of stories is a fair and valid interpretation of Batman, I mean Iron Man, I mean Blue Beetle, I mean Ted Cord, I mean the Peter Parker character" You forgot Tony Stark. Tony Stark was ran a company and hid his secret identity as Iron Man by saying Iron Man was his body guard. Can Marvel sue itself for plagurisim?

2. "I prefer organic webs to web-shooters (even though I think organic webs should run out like web-shooters)" I don't care either way really but I would have loved to see some stories where Spidey has to stop in the middle of a fight and rehydrate to keep his web levels up.

3. "Even though I love Spidey's villains, outside of Eddie Brock's Venom, Norman and Harry Osborn's Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Ezekiel and Carnage, the Web Head's rogues gallery isn't very interesting (Kingpin became truly interesting as Daredevil villain and Doc Ock is just a fun but standard 1960's Mad Scientist)" I agree with the present day villiains but back in the day they used to be compared to Batman's rogue gallery all the time.

4. "I actually always thought Kraven was a cool villain even before Kraven's Last Hunt" Ditto.

5. "Steve Ditko was a good artist and creator but I far prefer John Romita Sr." The artist's styles that moved Peter from a young teen to a young adult.

6. "I think half of Black Cat's character works because she didn't end up with Peter" Ditto.

7. "I think that Gwen Stacy was a character only defined by other characters and has NEVER been interesting" Ditto.

8. "I think that Norman should have stayed dead Harry should have stayed the Green Goblin" Ditto.

9. "I liked most of Dan Slott's run up until after Ends of the Earth" Cannot stand Slott. He just seems to be rehashing old stories from when he grew up to me. Most everything I've read of his I remember reading from the late 70's to 80's.

10. "I always thought Peter Parker was more interesting than Spider-Man" I think that's pretty much the core of the comic which is why I can't read and recent Spidey stuff from the last few years.

11. "I liked the Spider-Totem stuff" I liked how it ended. The magician saying that he believes the sun will rise tomorrow due to magic and that Spidey thinks the sun will rise because of science but either way it will rise so what does it matter who's right?

12. "I think the greatest Spider-Man game of all time is Persona 3" Yeah, I don't game much.

13. "I think married Spider-Man is more interesting than an unmarried one" Way more interesting. I already read about Single Peter and there's really not much you can do with it. Relationship, drama, will they/won't they, break-up, get back together, wash rinse repeat. As opposed to marriage: Where are they going to live, who's the bread winner, how can we afford what we need, will our families get along, should we have children... Single is just for the first part of your life, marriage is for the rest of your life.

14. "I like Spider-Man on a team (though preferably a more street level team)" Loved him on the New Avengers where he was just playing everything as old hat. "We probably won't survive the crash. Nobody goes to the Savage Land without crashing."

15. "I don't think Sins Past is as bad as everyone says (it's still bad but not that bad)" I liked it but I wish they had played up the creepiness of Norman taking advantage of his son's friend.

16." I like Maximum Carnage the comic" Ditto, and the song by Green Jelly.

17. "I like Spider-Man 3" It was o.k. but agree with most that it was bloated and needlessly tied into Ben's death.

18. "I don't like Peter as a 250 IQ mega genius and prefer it when the genius aspect of Peter is there but down played in favor of his everyman status" I liked some old scenes from back in the day where there was a big team-up, Reed and Tony were figuring it out, then Spidey would chime in and surprise everybody with his intelligance.

19. "I think Peter should never have left the Daily Bugle" Genius came easy to him but he had to struggle with being a photographer which made it a better read.

20. "I think that Spider-Man is a TERRIBLE escapist character" He's an angest ridden drama queen and should be written as so.

21. "I think the Eddie Brock Venom is THE Spider-Man villain, even more so than the Green Goblin" Ditto. I miss Eddie Brock Venom.

22. "I think Spider-Man is the most Japanese of the normally non-Japanese western superheroes even disregarding all the Japanese Spider-Man interpretations" It's the impossible poses.

23. "I think the order of importance of Spider-Man major cast members is ideally; Peter, Mary Jane, Aunt May, Eddie Brock, Flash Thompson and J. Jonah Jameson" Thank you for remembering Flash.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#16 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6734 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Spider-Man never was, and never should be an "everyman" character.

2. Peter as a scientist >> businessman > teacher >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> photographer/reporter.

3. Grown up Peter >>>>>> Teen/kid Peter.

4. Married Peter > Single Peter.

5. Peter shouldn't have a child.

6. Horizon Labs/Parker Industries is one of the best things to happen to Peter (other events in the list include the origin, death of Gwen, and the marriage).

6. As love interests go, Captain Marvel > Black Cat > Mary Jane >>>>>>>>>>>> Gwen.

7. Peter is one of the smartest people in the world, and it made no sense for him not to be a scientist and/or highly successful as that means he is not responsibly using his greatest power at all. His IQ is over 250.

8. Spider-Man should not be considered street level and we should see him fight larger threats more often. He should still fight street crime (since it would be OOC for him to not help everyone he can) but it should never be a challenge and should rarely be a big focus of stories. No more Spider-Man stories involving gang wars and stuff, please.

9. I like Spider-Man being on the premier Avengers line up, but I hate how he was written as just comic relief. With his unique set of skills, he should easily be one of the most important and necessary characters on basically ANY team that isn't filled with like cosmic entities. I'd like him to be an important cog on a team such as the Ultimates.

10. It was complete PIS for Peter to be anything but a scientist/inventor/engineer for so long after he graduated.

11. Peter should be rich since that enables him to help the most people as both himself and Spider-Man.

12. Spider-Man should use more tech made by Peter in addition to his superpowers. One of my favourite aspects of Spider-Man stories is how he uses his brain to beat characters who would otherwise be much more powerful.

13. I liked Flash Thompson as Agent Venom (before Bendis ruined everything) more than Eddie Brock as Venom.

14. TASM2 is my favourite Spidey movie.

15. I have liked all of Slott's ideas, no matter how badly he failed on the execution.

16. As far as alternate Spidey's go, Miguel > Kaine >>>>> Superior >>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else > Spider-Gwen.

17. Aunt May should die.

18. Superior Spider-Man is the best version of Doc Ock.

19. Parker Industries is the best status quo for Peter if we saw him doing more super science.

20. Miles Morales (or any other alternate Spidey) will never eclipse Peter Parker as the one true Spider-Man, and the flagship of Marvel Comics.

#17 Posted by Dedonus (125 posts) - - Show Bio

@muhabba: You said that the OP forgot Tony Stark when he clearly stated Iron Man. ;) Just FYI.

#18 Edited by Immolation (1955 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Spider-Man peaked in the 70's and 80's. Nothing in the last 26 years has been as good as those two decades.
  • JMS was average at best and a few of his stories were straight up terrible.
  • Todd McFarlane is overrated.