ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Whooooooo's ready??????!!!!

Whoooooo's excited?????

What do you guys want to see in this series that so many have wanted?

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Romance, Lots Of Moments Between Peter And MJ In Their Superhero Lives And As Civillians, Them Meeting Up And Hanging Out With Some Of Their Friends And Other Heroes, Some Insights On Their Daughter Annie, Them Having Some Family Dynamics, What This World's Felicia, Kaine Parker, Flash Thompson, Eddie Brock, Harry Osborn(If Alive In This Universe), And The Sinister Six Are Like.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@marvelman92: @itsaworld:

I'M SO EXCITED, I JUST CANT HIDE IT, I'M ABOUT TO LOSE CONTROL AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

I'm so looking forward to this book. FINALLY after ten loooong years. Hitler's OMD react was right about the ten year span of time. Spider Man, Spider Wife, ANNA MAY PARKER.

I also hope that this book answers me some very serious questions. How was OMD refused? How did Peter and MJ survive in the aftermath of Aunt May's death? When was Annie born? Did Pete and MJ's entire twenty year long marriage history carry over exactly as it was published? Peter and MJ in the Civil War aftermath and all subsequent events?

I also hope that all the awesome development of JMS's run was carried over. The guy was disrespected in OMD as much as anyone, perhaps even more. All his work all his effort swept aside by an evil man.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By magnetic_eye

I've ordered 3 copies of RYV. Can't wait! ?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ZariusII

Good luck everyone, especially Peter and MJ

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks shit, Spider-Man is heading down to some bad territory in all his books.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZariusII

@rabumalal said:

Looks shit

Such riveting, mature, thought-provoking commentary with sound reason and judgement...not.

What the hell do you want from these books?

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: I don't want Mary Jane with spider-powers for a starter. Good art would also be nice.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ursaber

RYV Vol 2 1

It was ok. I wasn't blown away or anything. I guess I had astronomical expectations for the first issue. Personally I found Annie to be a little annoying but truth be told their family interaction was pretty realistic. Great (sarcastically), Peter's still a photographer :I

I prepared for this story for the last few weeks. I read the entirety of Peter and MJ's marriage from ASM 257-543 and every companion title in between except for Clone Saga which I dropped after Peter's trial and the Mackie era.

Man, after all they've been through and after the shitstorm that was Civil War, the way they were ripped apart by OMD was even more devastating. I just couldnt accept it. It left me hollowed inside. I guess I wanted RYV to be the remedy for my heartache following me catching up with over hundreds of Spider Man issues. But this is only the beginning.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ZariusII

Having had my own "heartache" remedied pretty easily over the last decade by Spider-Girl and the ASM newspaper strip, I wasn't really expecting the first issue of this to be mind-blowing, which helped temper my expectations. I just wanted a Peter and MJ I recognised, and I got it. Also, kids are supposed to be annoying.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

Having had my own "heartache" remedied pretty easily over the last decade by Spider-Girl and the ASM newspaper strip, I wasn't really expecting the first issue of this to be mind-blowing, which helped temper my expectations. I just wanted a Peter and MJ I recognized, and I got it. Also, kids are supposed to be annoying.

Truth be told, while I've always been a Spider Man fan and I've read the occasional comic book, I was never an avid reader until this year. Then I joined comicvine and I started to learn from you guys and thanks to that I began reading loads and loads of comics online. Because of this, my "heartache" is still fresh considering I finally finished reading Spider Man last night just before OMD in preparation for RYV.

True, kids are annoying. Maybe I just need to read it a couple of times to sink in. Its just that I instantly became attached to RYV1 Annie because I found her very endearing.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MarvelMan92

Okay So I Was Gonna Buy This Issue Today But Sadly I've Been Having A Fight With My Mom And As Usual It's Been Wild. I Would Ask My Mom To Give Me Some Money Like 10 or $20 But Sadly I Can't Because She's Been In A Furious Mood With Me(And It's Not Something I Did. She Always Been Upset With Me For The Smallest Reasons And No Reason At All). So I Decided To Look Up The Issue Online First Before I Buy It And Man Oh Man Was This Issue Really Not Only Brilliant But Incredibly Refreshing! The Issue Tries To Take A Step At Introducing Peter In This New World By Just Giving Us A Nice Normal Everyday Life. And It Actually Does Feel Alot More Refreshing With Peter Having a Nice Day To Day Life With His Family Coming Home Giving His Wife , Mary Jane, A Sweet Romance And Having A Nice , Normal, Great Time With His Daughter And Wife And The Best Thing About It Is That They Act Like A Family. It's Actually Really Refreshing Seeing Peter Not Only As A Married Man But To See Them Both Act Like A Normal, Responsible, Loving Family And Seeing Peter Being A Father Just Puts A Smile In My Face Seeing This Fresh New Take On The Character. We Also See Peter Back At The Daily Bugle Taking Pictures Of Spider-Man With His Phone And Greatly Enough His Boss Raises His Salary And Has Been Confirmed That Peter Is Doing Really Well With His Job Earning Him A Nice Reputation. As For His Superhero Life, Well It's Actually Alot More Refreshing Seeing Spidey In Action That actually Alot Better Than How It Was Handled In Slott's Recent Run . And It Actually Starts Us Off With An Incredibly Solid Action Sequences With His Long Time Enemy The Scorpion Who BTW Is Still Mac Gargan . With The Fantastic Artwork Of Ryan Stegman The Action Sequences And Movements Feel Alot More Fluid And Breathtaking. I've Never Seen An Action Sequence This Spectacularly And Amazingly Breathtaking Since Well, Maybe Todd Mcfarlane And Mark Bagley's Work On The Character. With Seeing How Fluid The Action Sequences Are I Hope That Ryan Stegman Does Do Alot More Work With The Character Both In ASM And The Spider-Family And In Any Spider-man Works. He Also Does A Brilliant Job With The Normal Everyday Life Style Of Peter Parker . Now For The Spider-Family. Like I Said They Act Like A More Normal Family. Relatable, Responsible, Loving, And Caring And It's Really Refreshing To See Them Like This. It's Actually Alot Different Than The Married Spider-Man We've Been Seeing And It's Really Nice And (Again) Refreshing To See. As For Annie. Well She's Just A Kid And It's Only The First Issue. She's Like What? 8? She Just Wants To Prove To Herself That She Can Prove To Her Parents That She Can Live Up To Their Status And Heroics And Of Course She'll Act Pretty Stubborn About It. You Can't Expect Her To Be A Bit More Mature Like Her Parents. It's Like Expecting A 6 Year Old To Be A High Ranking Businessman. As For The People Expecting Alot More Things Out Of This Book , Well, It's Just The Firsy Issue Of This Series And It's Trying To Be A Bit More Refreshing And Fun After All These Years And Conway Said Multiple Times That This Series Is Suppose To Be That. But We Will Expect Some Drama, Family Dynamics, And How Else This World Is Different Compared To The Ones In 616. But I Will Say If You Have Read This Issue You'll Notice Or See A Couple Of Differences Between This World And 616:

-Scorpion's Gotten A New Look Compared To His Other Suits And This One Is Even Bigger And Possibly More Stronger Than The One Alystair Smythe Gave Him

-Normie Osborn Is A Bit Older Than Annie(Obviously) (Possibly like 12 or 14) And Is Running Oscorp. And From The Looks Of It Both Norman And Harry Osborn Are Dead. As For His Mother Liz Allen, Well I Don't Know About Her But She Could Be Dead Too Or At Least Sent To A Mental Hospital Or Worse. And That's Not All, It Seems That Normie Could Be A Bit More Twisted And Cynical . He Could Be Even Worse Than His Father And Grandfather If Issue Go By .

-Peter Is Still Working For The Bugle But Is Getting Extra Payment And Has Garnered Such A Great Reputation With His Job.

-J Jonah Jameson Uses Candy As A Stress Reliever Than Smoking And It Seems That He Has A Sweet Tooth as Well .

Overall I Give This Issue A 9.1/10 . Great And Refreshing Take On The Spider-Family After So Long With A Brilliant New Dynamic And A Nice Glimpse Of The World With Solid Fluid And Refreshing Action Sequences And Artstyle. I Highly Recommend You Guys Pick Up This Issue. Buy The Variant Covers As Well .

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot wait for this series.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By izamanaick

ITS GREAT! The Spider-Dad mini is awesome.

but that may be due to how mediocre ASM has been for the past few years.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kiba

So I just read it and after 10 freaking years I'm so happy. My favorite hero is back.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay! Just read my own copy today and here's what I think.

It was a good first issue.

We open up with a fight scene against Scorpion looking MIGHTY SCARY. He looks big, tough, and way more frightening than I ever saw him in the videogames or cartoons. I loved the design on his tail.

Annie to me, isn't that annoying. She is only in like 3 pages overall of this issue so we can't expect much. What I see here is a kid that wants to find a way to fit in with her parents. She wants her father to be proud of her and so tries to tweak with his tech. She wants to live to her full potential but is restrained from doing so because she isn't allowed to use her abilities. I believe it's said that Anna is 10 and thus it makes sense for her to be acting like this. She is also trying not to lash out or react badly to what her parents ask. We see she wants to help others but is told to call for help. What we know from this issue that she screws up...but she is a kid.I teach kids for a living, and some can be total chaotic messes and others peaceful treasures. Both can never get the task done on the first try and some flip a table in hatred. Anna's greatest fear it would seem is for her parents to be disappointing in her. She says in the beginning and the end of the issue 'please don't be mad' and in the first pages we see her tearing up. This shows she idolizes her father and fears what Peter will think of her if she messes up.

The Osborn in the comic...definitely Normie. He's too small to be Norman or Harry as we can see he is a good foot shorter than Ms January (month names...could it be foreshadowing to something?...nah) The picture is absolutely of his grandfather and father, depicting how their relationship and life went. Even faintly, you can see Norman with a malicious smile and confident while Harry is slumped looking away and giving a pained look It probably symbolizes the yin and yang that will go on inside Normie. Not to mention he owns all of what's left of Regent's tech and notes, its setting up for a big story arc already. He looks to be 10-12, I'm guessing this because of they will probably be granting Normie and Anna a relationship as their MC2 counterparts did.

Peter's job may not be what I want but they put a nice change to it. He still works at the Bugle but we are introduced to other new characters working there and some old favorites. Not to mention showing a change in some character's lives such as Jonah quitting smoking. I had to go back to those panels after Gloria mentions this because I'm so used to Jonah having a cigar in his mouth, I didn't notice it was a peppermint stick. I also like that Peter admits he could probably work in a lab and MJ pushes for this. Gloria also states that Peter if very talented with photography and should go to other place. Thankfully, he grants a reason to why he doesn't do a change. Probably not our favorite reason but it feels rather 'Peter like'. Peter wants to have fun and be more free finding being in a lab does not grant this. He has had lab jobs before in the past and maybe he feels that he will be restrained from being spiderman if doing something like this. As we all know from Slott, Peter isn't always Spider-Man, he makes Prowler pose as him because he is too busy being some corporate head or lead scientist. During MJ's pregnancy, he took a job at a lab and ended up getting fired because he kept coming in late. Now he COULD consider IronMan...if this wasn't the world where Civil War happened. He's probably still spooked to death of Tony Stark, as we are kinda hinted he isn't an avenger anymore.

Buzzbee, Peter's camera companion, will probably be of use farther along in the future as they have given it a name and its a friggin drone that tracks Peter. This is useful!

The mini stories are super fun! I like how every tale has a different design to Anna's hair and wardrobe. In Spider Dad (omfg! You have no idea how much I love Anthony Holden and his work! This is the kinda art style I wish to wield one day!) we have a very spunky unkept hairstyle that shows her to be very playful. Her outfit is a shirt and shorts kinda showing she likes to be active and always moving. In Make It Work, we see her having long well groomed and perfectly styled hair. Her outfit is what looks like a private school's uniform.

To me, these two stories show how Anna-May is like her mother and father.

Peter likes to be lax and hasn't been always the best at keeping up with fashion. He would rather wear something comfortable than something annoying that's pretty. MJ likes to look stunning no matter where she is. Her outfits are always carefully selected and she always make sure her face and hair are at their best. Thus when Anna hangs with one parent she tends to shine as their image....at least thats what I get.

Also, Oh hey! If what these minishorts tell us, Sandman, Cap Marvel and IronMan and probably still alive meaning other heroes still exist and are big parts of the stories. The discussion between Anna and MJ about Tony makes me wonder if this will come up later. Anna suggests MJ gets IronMan to fix the regent suit, perhaps meaning that Tony Stark knows Peter is Spider-Man and he has interactions with them and that Anna knows Tony Stark in some way. But when MJ says "Ha! That'll be the day" this maaaay hint they are not on good terms. Perhaps this is hinting to the events of Civil War where Tony was a constant nightmare for the Parkers and that maybe MJ has yet to forgive him. Orrr maybe she knows Tony will do too much tweaking and would rather ask her own husband than some other hero for assistance.

All together: REALLY FUN! The first issue let us know a bit more about the world they live in, the people, their own lives, their personalities and villains. We don't get to see much of Anna but this was focusing on mostly Spider-Man, letting us learn how he is doing and what his life is like. I don't really care for cliffhangers but I'll let this pass. Seems that the next issue will start off earlier that day with Anna being our main character. We will see what happened leading up to her kidnapping and let us learn a bit more as to why she does the things she does.

I am so glad we got more than one short too!!! I WANT LIKE 3 IN THE NEXT ONE! These were fun and it seems the creators involved were having a blast.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I liked it, can't be any worse than clone conspiracy, c'mon.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...does anyone know when the next issue will be released?

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MarvelMan92

@itsaworld said:

Next Month On The 14th

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awwww! I can't wait that long!!! I'm going to have to start posting fanart to you guys!

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awwww! I can't wait that long!!! I'm going to have to start posting fanart to you guys!

I Hope It's Really Romantic :)

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld said:

Yeah, you asked for some romantic peices...and we have waiting almost a decade for some romance. I should definitley do one of those!

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92 said:
@itsaworld said:

Yeah, you asked for some romantic peices...and we have waiting almost a decade for some romance. I should definitley do one of those!

Great :) ! I'll Also Put Your Works On Facebook Making Sure This Series Gets Some Attention .

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZariusII

@marvelman92 said:
@itsaworld said:

Next Month On The 14th

I quite like that it has the old-school monthly formula. Having a Spider-Man comic every few weeks gets really tiresome and a writer can wear himself out keeping to that schedule, hence why Slott has to rely on Gage a lot of times and why his ideas, even his good ones, are forced in and left unfocused because he has virtually no time to spread them out evenly. His Silver Surfer book is monthly and the difference in consistency is astronomical (though, to be fair, Surfer mainly just recycles Doctor Who plots)

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do some upside spider kissing with MJ being upside down in spider wear and Peter standing straight in civvies. And then have Annie doing a "disgusted" expression at what she's seeing. Maybe she walked in on "Code Green".

Or do one where Annie is born and Peter and MJ are holding her for the first time.

Alias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am confused. I thought after Secret Wars III there was only one Earth 616. So is the idea that there are now TWO peter parkers living on 616? Do they both live in NYC? I'm confused.

I would also like to get the old Peter back. I'm not feeling Peter as yet another Marvel globe-trotting/billionaire/corporate tycon. I might be stuck in my old ways, but I liked it better when he was juggling spidey duties while being three months behind on his rent.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZariusII

@alias99 said:

I am confused. I thought after Secret Wars III there was only one Earth 616. So is the idea that there are now TWO peter parkers living on 616? Do they both live in NYC? I'm confused.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. It's been made fairly clear in several Marvel publications (including ones that are related to Spidey like the Web Warriors, the ASM newspaper strip, and Spider-Gwen) that the Multiverse still exists, in fact, rebuilding the multiverse is the in-story reason why the Richards and the Future Foundation have not returned to 616 yet.

Renew Your Vows is set on another Earth entirely, a reality where Peter and MJ never accepted Mephisto's deal. Events from 616 occurred, but the outcomes were different. The RYV reality has a link to 616 (as indicated in the Power Play event), but they're being vague as to what that connection is. Fans speculate the universe is a splinter of the original reality and that they could be "merged" later on in the coming year(s). The Maker, the doppleganger of Reed from the Ultimate Universe, is attempting to reconnect the realities of the multiverse so as to prepare reality for an upcoming war.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alias99 said:

We have Spider Man Boy which is the one who's become a crappy billionaire and we have SPIDER MAN from Renew Your Vows who is the true version of the character. RYV is an alternate reality but if you like classic Spidey with a twist and some extra spice then feel free to see it as the definitive Spider Man status quo. That's how I see it. RYV is the true Spider Man universe while ASM is just an alternate to me.

I would also like to get the old Peter back. I'm not feeling Peter as yet another Marvel globe-trotting/billionaire/corporate tycon. I might be stuck in my old ways, but I liked it better when he was juggling spidey duties while being three months behind on his rent.

Yeah, Peter's appeal as an everyman was shattered when he was forced into the Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark archetype ripoff. However seeing Peter struggle through financial troubles and taking selfies for a living is not the good way to go. We shouldn't regress Spider Man, we should evolve him. The majority of his run Peter has been financially challenged way too much and failing to balance his double life. He should already know how to achieve a double life balance and his financial trouble theme should take a massive backseat. Solution: make Peter into a successful pro photographer who doesn't just take selfies for a living but also takes pictures of other superheroes as well as other themes such as crimes, runway shows, art, cultural events, etc. I don't know about you but taking selfies for a living forever is downright depressing.

The REAL Spider Man is the one from Renew Your Vows Vol 2. If you like classic Spidey then read that series and ignore the main title.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked up my 3 physical copies of RYV today, gave one to my 13 year old daughter and she loves it.

I just finished reading it, I may read it again later tonight. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a Spider-Man tale and RYV - Brawl In The Family: Part 1 hit all the right spots.

The family dynamics and interactions were certainly relatable, from trying to remember grocery items without a shopping list to the realistic family banter. Gerry Conway certainly writes from experience and with a higher caliber of story craftsmanship.

I'm certainly going to continue buying this series even if it is an alternate universe. It's an authentic representation of the original 616 ASM characters and that is what has been sorely missing for nearly a decade.

My little nit picks include the implausible Scorpion suit, way over the top, how would you even maneuver in such a bulky outfit?

Now I know it's all light hearted super heroics, and I am pro the marriage and Pete and MJ having a kid, but the premise of the Parker family as a crime fighting unit just doesn't sit right with me. I would much rather see the Fantastic Four doing that.

I'm also not exactly sure how I feel about MJ as a super hero and besides her costume doesn't conceal her identity. Plus my duty of care as a parent would make sure I wouldn't negligently put my child at risk.

Having said all this I enjoyed the story very much thanks to Conway, Stegman, Oback and Caramagna - great team. I miss the high drama and quality of work JMS brought to the table before getting screwed over by Quesada. I still long for the ASM bordello to be cleared of all the diseased polluted mindsets still occupying that office.

In the meantime I'm very much looking forward to the next issue of RYV.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I well be getting some RYV material soon.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fun factoid of the day:

I went to my comic shop to pick up ANOTHER copy of RYV. I wanted the Variant they had but those were gone. I decided to pick up a regular copy to share and noticed they had only 4 left...well now 3 cause that's why I came. So yeah, seems that this comic is doing pretty well!

Along with that, right by the cash register were free double sided posters of two marvel Now series. The inside had the Captain Nazi America (who the heck wants that?!) and the outside was RYV. I like took 4 to hand to some kiddos at work.

I am happy that this series is doing really well. I want it to excel and beat that OTHER Amazing Spider-Man

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Second Print Of Issue # 1 Is Coming Out This December And With Issue # 2 Coming Out The Day Before Which Is The 14th To The 28th.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: Wow! That's smart marketing. Guess the books are doing really well then like everyone said!

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: The Crawl-Space podcast interview with Conway revealed RYV occurs in a world where the entirety of Civil War never occurred, meaning Peter never unmasked and brought upon the cataclysmic events of OMD.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: yeah. I listened to the whole podcast, but he also said before that everything before BND happened so I suspect he is still developing the world and will then write the lore. That or he is testing what works and what doesnt....or editors told him no

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: yeah. I listened to the whole podcast, but he also said before that everything before BND happened so I suspect he is still developing the world and will then write the lore. That or he is testing what works and what doesnt....or editors told him no

then screw the editors. Damn Quesada is still tampering with everything. He has a Gwen fetish right? No wonder Gwen has risen to prominence in recent years. Spider Gwen, another Gwen clone, the Jackal (though I like this Jackal). Gwen is DEAD. Let her RIP.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ursaber

Uh, Guys and Gals, quick RYV Discussion, about Annie crimefighting

Its about the family aspect of the series. We know its modeled very similar to the Incredibles and that its more a more lighthearted family superhero dynamic. However we also know that Spider Man's world is very dangerous and dare i say hazardous. Would Peter and MJ actually condone their 8 year old daughter fighting crime alongside them even if she has powers?

If it weren't for the books theme, it would be very irresponsible. The same goes for MJ because she's never shown much inclination to be a superhero though she wants to help Spider Man if she can. We can defend this scenario by taking a page from Batman's book who has Damien a ten something year old boy as a trained assassin and Jon Kent though he's invulnerable. But Spider Man is a different story. Mayday was a teenager when she began superheroing but she was advised and trained by her parents because they couldn't really stop her since Peter was retired and MJ was not powered.

Because of RYV1 we know the circumstances regarding the entirety of the Parker family becoming crime fighters but that was in a situation beyond their control. But now all is good and Peter and MJ, despite their over protectiveness, are condoning Annie's involvement in crimefighting operations at such a young age. Is that really what Peter and MJ would do? Would you guys allow your child to fight against dangerous and ruthless criminals? (keep in mind that I still very much enjoy that angle of the story, but I've read some reviews where that issue about Annie crimefighting is a highlight)

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ursaber: I've been saying that forever and whenever I bring it up, all you guys ignore me since you can't bear any criticism at all about RYV. That's the main reason why I feel RYV is extremely OOC for Peter and MJ. (Along with Peter not thinking science is fun anymore, and him being too irresponsible to use his talents properly in order to provide for his family while he instead goes around snapping selfies) despite the fact it was fun.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Checck Out This Latest Fan Art Of Spider-Jane (And Friends) by Ricardo Sales :

No Caption Provided

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I've been saying that forever and whenever I bring it up, all you guys ignore me since you can't bear any criticism at all about RYV. That's the main reason why I feel RYV is extremely OOC for Peter and MJ. (Along with Peter not thinking science is fun anymore, and him being too irresponsible to use his talents properly in order to provide for his family while he instead goes around snapping selfies) despite the fact it was fun.

Indeed, and I'm not ignoring it anymore. Regardless of this I still love and enjoy RYV for what it is, a work of fiction about a superpowered family and a superior book to all other Spider books out there. But if this was a real life situation I would never allow my kid to do this even if she threw me the power and responsibility speech back at me. At least not until she was a teenager or young adult or at least until she reached the same age Spider Man did when he started crimefighting. If Peter prohibited Annie from doing so she would probably go behind their backs and its better to keep an eye on her and limit her than having a rebellious spider powered kid going at it behind her parents backs. A powered kid like that, impatient and smart, would not stand still and she would certainly disobey her parents. Powers grant people a sense of ascension, like you can do anything and get away with it and I believe Annie would do this.

You also have to remember that in the eighties Peter decided to be a full time photographer because it was the only job that would allow him to work and operate as Spider Man better. So long as he was Spider Man he would never be able to hold down a stationary job during that time or unless he was his own boss. That all changed with Big Time.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Gorgeous!

But oh, so many spider people. Too many. And were not even counting the men.

HEY! Where's Mayday?

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
@blackspidey2099 said:

Indeed, and I'm not ignoring it anymore. Regardless of this I still love and enjoy RYV for what it is, a work of fiction about a superpowered family and a superior book to all other Spider books out there. But if this was a real life situation I would never allow my kid to do this even if she threw me the power and responsibility speech back at me. At least not until she was a teenager or young adult or at least until she reached the same age Spider Man did when he started crimefighting. If Peter prohibited Annie from doing so she would probably go behind their backs and its better to keep an eye on her and limit her than having a rebellious spider powered kid going at it behind her parents backs. A powered kid like that, impatient and smart, would not stand still and she would certainly disobey her parents. Powers grant people a sense of ascension, like you can do anything and get away with it and I believe Annie would do this.

You also have to remember that in the eighties Peter decided to be a full time photographer because it was the only job that would allow him to work and operate as Spider Man better. So long as he was Spider Man he would never be able to hold down a stationary job during that time or unless he was his own boss. That all changed with Big Time.

You do bring up valid points about Annie crime fighting. Perhaps Gerry will address it later on in the stories. Cause it's true, why the heck is Peter allowing his daughter to do this? Maybe it has to do with the aftermath of regent we have yet to see. Maybe its because Peter needs to train Annie but has no other way than when they go crime fighting?

Though another thing to note is that we actually don't know WHEN she is allowed to fight crime. What we know is that Peter and MJ seem to take a very harsh stance on powers in all situations within this universe. Peter has given Annie a way of calling him and MJ if a situation arises telling her she should never use her powers. Maybe the super suit is only for emergencies, like if a cataclysm happens and she has to act immediatley. She used it against her parent's wishes so it seems. Maybe she has yet to actually even be allowed to crime fight and these first issues are to establish an acceptance of her doing so...I dunno.

But I am goanna say, I really do like the idea of her fighting crime alongside her good old Spider-Dad. It sounds fun, not realistic but fun.

I'm going to agree with Ursa's thoughts on all these matters.

Annie probably acts like Mayday and goes against her parent's wishes. I guess it's like Ness' mom in Earthbound, terribly bad parenting but at least she got him to get dressed before going outside. It's hard to keep your daughter out of the battles when she has been raised by a father who states that when you have the power to stop something bad but you don't use it, you are responsible for the aftermath. She knows she is powerful, she knows she can take more punches than even an average man could, she is super strong and fast, and in an 8 year old's mind, she probably feels like she could take on a ton of baddies and should. I think I said this before, but this series may teach Annie what 'great power and great responsibility' really means and how she is a responsibility for her Father.

Peter takes the photography work since it means he can make his own hours, move where he wanted to, less noticeable when missing and makes somewhat a profit from his own heroics. In the 90s, Peter did take on a job at a lab but was fired because he kept coming to work late and too many absences thanks to his Spider-Man Escapades. Though this doesn't mean Peter should just work at the daily bugle. I'm glad other characters in the comic bring this up too and Peter answers it...even though his reply is meh. Then again I do know how hard it is to find another job in today's economy and New York is a tough place to find good work for many professions. If Jonah is finally giving him a stable income, there's not many reasons to leave.

They are many jobs with photography peter could do that could even proove beneficial for his crime fighting. A police photographer not only would take photographs of crime scenes, but also attempts to take photo proof of illegal activity. Think of a saga where Peter took a job like that and has to take pictures of an illegal trade going on, only to find out the people worked for Wilson Fisk and the Kingpin now was after Peter Parker. Peter then would have to find a way to beat some baddies without them knowing he was Spider-Man. I dunno, but that sounds like fun to me!

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ursaber said:
@blackspidey2099 said:

You do bring up valid points about Annie crime fighting. Perhaps Gerry will address it later on in the stories. Cause it's true, why the heck is Peter allowing his daughter to do this? Maybe it has to do with the aftermath of regent we have yet to see. Maybe its because Peter needs to train Annie but has no other way than when they go crime fighting?

Though another thing to note is that we actually don't know WHEN she is allowed to fight crime. What we know is that Peter and MJ seem to take a very harsh stance on powers in all situations within this universe. Peter has given Annie a way of calling him and MJ if a situation arises telling her she should never use her powers. Maybe the super suit is only for emergencies, like if a cataclysm happens and she has to act immediatley. She used it against her parent's wishes so it seems. Maybe she has yet to actually even be allowed to crime fight and these first issues are to establish an acceptance of her doing so...I dunno.

But I am goanna say, I really do like the idea of her fighting crime alongside her good old Spider-Dad. It sounds fun, not realistic but fun.

I'm going to agree with Ursa's thoughts on all these matters.

Annie probably acts like Mayday and goes against her parent's wishes. I guess it's like Ness' mom in Earthbound, terribly bad parenting but at least she got him to get dressed before going outside. It's hard to keep your daughter out of the battles when she has been raised by a father who states that when you have the power to stop something bad but you don't use it, you are responsible for the aftermath. She knows she is powerful, she knows she can take more punches than even an average man could, she is super strong and fast, and in an 8 year old's mind, she probably feels like she could take on a ton of baddies and should. I think I said this before, but this series may teach Annie what 'great power and great responsibility' really means and how she is a responsibility for her Father.

Peter takes the photography work since it means he can make his own hours, move where he wanted to, less noticeable when missing and makes somewhat a profit from his own heroics. In the 90s, Peter did take on a job at a lab but was fired because he kept coming to work late and too many absences thanks to his Spider-Man Escapades. Though this doesn't mean Peter should just work at the daily bugle. I'm glad other characters in the comic bring this up too and Peter answers it...even though his reply is meh. Then again I do know how hard it is to find another job in today's economy and New York is a tough place to find good work for many professions. If Jonah is finally giving him a stable income, there's not many reasons to leave.

They are many jobs with photography peter could do that could even proove beneficial for his crime fighting. A police photographer not only would take photographs of crime scenes, but also attempts to take photo proof of illegal activity. Think of a saga where Peter took a job like that and has to take pictures of an illegal trade going on, only to find out the people worked for Wilson Fisk and the Kingpin now was after Peter Parker. Peter then would have to find a way to beat some baddies without them knowing he was Spider-Man. I dunno, but that sounds like fun to me!

Exactly - like I said, I enjoyed the book for being fun, but that is why I'd never want the main Peter to be RYV Peter since he is so OOC by letting Annie run around fighting crime with him. I do hope they at least address Peter's reasoning behind it.

As for the lab things, Peter can just patent and sell that drone he made, or software he created to fund his own research. I know what happened at TriCorp, but that whole saga was one of the worst in Spidey history. He is one of the smartest people on Earth, so I find it irresponsible he isn't using that brain to provide his family a more comfortable life, and to help/protect people. He would easily qualify for a grant if he started working on one of his ideas in his spare time.

Dedonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dedonus

@ursaber said:

Uh, Guys and Gals, quick RYV Discussion, about Annie crimefighting

Its about the family aspect of the series. We know its modeled very similar to the Incredibles and that its more a more lighthearted family superhero dynamic. However we also know that Spider Man's world is very dangerous and dare i say hazardous. Would Peter and MJ actually condone their 8 year old daughter fighting crime alongside them even if she has powers?

If it weren't for the books theme, it would be very irresponsible. The same goes for MJ because she's never shown much inclination to be a superhero though she wants to help Spider Man if she can. We can defend this scenario by taking a page from Batman's book who has Damien a ten something year old boy as a trained assassin and Jon Kent though he's invulnerable. But Spider Man is a different story. Mayday was a teenager when she began superheroing but she was advised and trained by her parents because they couldn't really stop her since Peter was retired and MJ was not powered.

Because of RYV1 we know the circumstances regarding the entirety of the Parker family becoming crime fighters but that was in a situation beyond their control. But now all is good and Peter and MJ, despite their over protectiveness, are condoning Annie's involvement in crimefighting operations at such a young age. Is that really what Peter and MJ would do? Would you guys allow your child to fight against dangerous and ruthless criminals? (keep in mind that I still very much enjoy that angle of the story, but I've read some reviews where that issue about Annie crimefighting is a highlight)

@blackspidey2099 said:

This was addressed in issue #1. On page 20, on the bottom of the page, Peter says this bit of dialogue:

"The suit I adapted from Regent's tech lets you tap into my spider-powers. / I built it to protect you, not help you protect me."

As this dialogue shows, the technology that Peter adapted for MJ was originally for self-defense. Let's also look at the little intro on the first page.

"Although resistant to the idea of his wife and daughter following in his crime-fighting footsteps, Peter realizes it's two against one in that argument..."

Now, let's look at Annie. This issue actually has a very nice parallel structure that I feel is supposed to explain Peter and MJ's opinion of Annie being a "superhero".

Let's look at pages 9-10. This is the scene where Annie was messing with Peter's web-shooters and accidentally made it explode (poor Speedy!). MJ tells Annie that she should not be messing with Peter's gadgets without his supervision. In response, Annie says "I was tyring to make it work better / *sniff* / Don't be mad." Two pages later, we see MJ and Peter telling Annie not to use her powers unless Peter or MJ tells her do so. Now flip to the final page of the main story. What does Annie say as she is being carried away by the moloids? "...I messed up. / *sniff* / Don't be mad...okay?"

Obviously here, Annie was NOT told by Peter or MJ to use her powers. The parallel structure of these two episodes, as I believe, does not show MJ and Peter explicitly approving of Annie helping them fighting villains. I think, in fact that it is the opposite. At the moment, we have yet to see any evidence that Peter and MJ are bringing their daughter along with them to fight crime. From what I read from the first issue, I assume that they are supervising her because it would be more responsible for them to monitor her than to not and allow her to sneak around behind their backs. So, yes @blackspidey2099, as of what we have been shown so far, this is not an issue.

As other have already mentioned, there are a variety of reasons why Peter isn't working at a lab. One, having a lab job would restrict his ability to actually be Spider-Man. Second, although we cannot quite make this conclusion as of yet, since Peter only has a bachelors of science degree, his application would probably go straight into the trashcan because he is not "qualified enough" for such a position. Third, this comic is trying to contrast itself from the "main title", where the Daily Bugle supporting cast is used poorly, if not at all. Plus, his reversed-engineered technology he devised for MJ and the "Buzzbee" drone still show Peter's intellectual finesse.

@marvelman92 said:

No Caption Provided

Scarlet-MJ is also in there, too, just to the right of RYV MJ (and surrounded by Spider-Gwen, Araña (Spider-Girl), and Jessica Drew.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure this will be addressed, Peter notes in the issue MJ is the one who nags him about making more out of his skills. Conway also confirmed in the podcast interview he can only really sustain the current RYV status quo for about "a year and a half" and then he'll have to change things up, which may upset people, but is necessary for creativity. Don't rule anything out just yet, this is just to ease us back into a nice place for the Parkers before the wild ride begins

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
@blackspidey2099 said:

I'm sure this will be addressed, Peter notes in the issue MJ is the one who nags him about making more out of his skills. Conway also confirmed in the podcast interview he can only really sustain the current RYV status quo for about "a year and a half" and then he'll have to change things up, which may upset people, but is necessary for creativity. Don't rule anything out just yet, this is just to ease us back into a nice place for the Parkers before the wild ride begins

So long as Peter remains married to MJ and Annie is not killed off, they can send them to another planet and fight crime with Rocket Raccoon for all I care. I don't really care about the Bugle and I am very used to Spider Man. The selling point to me for RYV was the Parker family and their day to day lives as powered people trying to be normal but having to deal with their amazing situation. Case in point all I want is Peter and MJ and now Annie.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly - like I said, I enjoyed the book for being fun, but that is why I'd never want the main Peter to be RYV Peter since he is so OOC by letting Annie run around fighting crime with him. I do hope they at least address Peter's reasoning behind it.

As for the lab things, Peter can just patent and sell that drone he made, or software he created to fund his own research. I know what happened at TriCorp, but that whole saga was one of the worst in Spidey history. He is one of the smartest people on Earth, so I find it irresponsible he isn't using that brain to provide his family a more comfortable life, and to help/protect people. He would easily qualify for a grant if he started working on one of his ideas in his spare time.

Its not unheard of for children to fight in the Earth 616 Universe. We have the Power Pack which was a team of super powered toddlers that went on adventures. We also have Franklin and Valeria. Granted Franklin is a god like being but he's still a child and he can't use his powers as well. Valeria on the other hand is younger than Annie but she's so smart she can use her father's inventions to go anywhere and do anything. She even travelled to Latveria and had an audience with Doctor Doom to kill the Council of Reeds and then she joined him to form a team of Avengers. And she's not as super powered as Annie. We also have the numerous Robins that Batman trains from a young age to take on the vilest criminals around.

Its not unheard of for superheroes to bring in child sidekicks or their very own children into the fray. Even if Peter prohibited Annie from doing so she would certainly go behind his back. Therefore its completely possible for Earth 616 Peter to at least on a limited capacity allow Annie to fight.

And BTW, his family life is fine. They're healthy, their home is good, they have food, clothes and maternity has made MJ much more domestic than her glamorous younger self. I agree that Peter should use that big brain of his but he shouldn't become obsessed with trying to make his family more materially wealthy when they're better then most people. They are fine and things will change.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
@blackspidey2099 said:

By That You Mean They'll Be Transferred To Earth 616 Or That The Drama Will Come In Vol 3 ?