#1 Posted by shonuff33 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

At all, I'm not trying to be rude Spidey fans. But I don't see Spidey having any competance in a field of combat even with Spider powers. Peter isn't a fighter and I read once he beat the breaks off of all of the X-Men and clowned Nightcrawler who I thought was Spider-Man as a real acrobatic ninja(Kurt actually has Gymnist training to and sword skills). How does he beat anyone, he gets taken out by Kingpin sometimes and even Punisher.

Spidey sense that broken or something it makes Peter a master ninja or something? Even Deadpool is more believable and Peter has beaten him even though Wade is more unpredictable and lethal, something like ninja who actually fighting like Spider-Man better than Spider-Man.

#2 Edited by knightwriteri (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@shonuff33: Spider-Man can battle hulk level adversaries like Morlun for 12 hours straight and you question his ability to beat teleporters he could KO in five seconds with his spider-sense wow!

Kingpin has never come close to winning a fight against him to the contrary in most battles it looks like a draw in the early stages because Spiderman holds insanely back due to Fisk being a non-powered human which is amply demonstrated in Back in Black where Spiderman doesn't hold back and effortlessly humiliates him in front of dozens of criminals in prison.

#3 Edited by RabumAlal (4843 posts) - - Show Bio

nice bait

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#4 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6418 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL. He beats enemies by being stronger, faster, smarter, and more skilled than them.

#5 Posted by TrustNoOne22 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL. He beats enemies by being stronger, faster, smarter, and more skilled than them.

Logically Peter doesn't have THAT big of a gap with his superhuman abilites against characters that honed their physical battle skills. Peter has a keep away melee style of fighting that a competant skilled person near or at least near his super human feats can hurt or kill him Alomst everyone he's fought outside his rouges amounts to a clearly skilled fighter that can fight with a degree of knowledge in battle mentality or fighting disipline. Even Deadpool has disciplined fighting education. Spider-Man's foes are unskilled freaks and bank robbers, Spider-Man can't fight someone like Cap without making errors in hindsight about dodging and hitting back simultaneously. FOr instant, Spider-Man as long as he has been a superhero has beaten Iron Fist even though he has no chance of outfighting the guy as a equal in pure knowledge of martial arts mastery. That spidey sense has been something writers been making Spider-Man hold his own forever and it's literally an ass pull of super anime skills that it pulls out of Spidey's ass which again makes no GD sense. Spider-Man's fighting skills are poor at best, but having pre cog doesn't and shouldn't make you able to handle Ironman and Wolverine at once.

#6 Posted by kgb725 (18113 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by TrustNoOne22 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@trustnoone22: Spidey has his own martial art

Which he hasn't practiced using in a long time. Slott brings Golden Age cliches in a Superhero book than doesn't need them, Spider-Man gets to learn/do outlandish stuff that text book batman but fails to keep it around for the next arc or two going back to his loser status and everyman basics.

#8 Posted by redwingx (1359 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

@trustnoone22: Spidey has his own martial art

Which he hasn't practiced using in a long time. Slott brings Golden Age cliches in a Superhero book than doesn't need them, Spider-Man gets to learn/do outlandish stuff that text book batman but fails to keep it around for the next arc or two going back to his loser status and everyman basics.

#9 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6418 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099 said:

Logically Peter doesn't have THAT big of a gap with his superhuman abilites against characters that honed their physical battle skills. Peter has a keep away melee style of fighting that a competant skilled person near or at least near his super human feats can hurt or kill him Alomst everyone he's fought outside his rouges amounts to a clearly skilled fighter that can fight with a degree of knowledge in battle mentality or fighting disipline. Even Deadpool has disciplined fighting education. Spider-Man's foes are unskilled freaks and bank robbers, Spider-Man can't fight someone like Cap without making errors in hindsight about dodging and hitting back simultaneously. FOr instant, Spider-Man as long as he has been a superhero has beaten Iron Fist even though he has no chance of outfighting the guy as a equal in pure knowledge of martial arts mastery. That spidey sense has been something writers been making Spider-Man hold his own forever and it's literally an ass pull of super anime skills that it pulls out of Spidey's ass which again makes no GD sense. Spider-Man's fighting skills are poor at best, but having pre cog doesn't and shouldn't make you able to handle Ironman and Wolverine at once.

Umm... yeah he does. Spider-Sense plus super reflexes and speed basically enable him to be a perfect counter to ANY skilled fighters at all, and that is BEFORE considering his own martial art skills or other powers. Actual powers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> skill, and skilled fighters like Iron Fist would have no chance against Spidey's foes. Spider-Man should easily be able to defeat everyone you mentioned in your paragraph at the same time.

#10 Edited by ItsaWorld (2376 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man has been known to have lost battles in his day and has needed to fall back in battles in the past. He isn't immensely strong like Superman but he has strength. He isn't all knowledgeable like Batman or Ironman but he is smart. He isn't as bound by the pursuit of truth n justice like Wonder Woman or Captain America, but he understands great responsibility.

He is a mixture of some of the best things within a hero but is known to be very humble about them.

So yeah, up against Deadpool, the guy who is stronger, faster, hightened reflexes, smarter and has more experience will win. Thus Peter kinda tops Deadpool in that regard. The only reasons Peter has ever been killed by Deadpool is because he lets his guard down with him.

One reason he can beat many of his opponents is because he is so experienced at this. He has been doing this gig for about 15 years already while many have been just doing it for 5-8. He has seen so many heroes and villains and experienced so many scenarios that it's really no question why he can fight some big contenders. Still, the guy cannot fight certain big baddies alone and nor does he over excel in a certain category against other heroes. He is a jack of all trades in some way.

Like Batman, he has admitted he has a backup plan against other heroes and villains if the situation arises and even has figured out ways to beat certain opponents. In a comic, he admits to MJ he has figured out a way he can beat the Hulk, but the only way seems to be actually killing the Hulk, something that Peter is very much against. So I guess also, he has contingency plans against his heroic allies, but makes sure they are non lethal. Like the MCU Tony Stark thought when he saw Spider-Man, Peter is the greatest non lethal weapon to exist presently.

#11 Posted by BJParks (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man has been known to have lost battles in his day and has needed to fall back in battles in the past. He isn't immensely strong like Superman but he has strength. He isn't all knowledgeable like Batman or Ironman but he is smart. He isn't as bound by the pursuit of truth n justice like Wonder Woman or Captain America, but he understands great responsibility.

He is a mixture of some of the best things within a hero but is known to be very humble about them.

So yeah, up against Deadpool, the guy who is stronger, faster, hightened reflexes, smarter and has more experience will win. Thus Peter kinda tops Deadpool in that regard. The only reasons Peter has ever been killed by Deadpool is because he lets his guard down with him.

One reason he can beat many of his opponents is because he is so experienced at this. He has been doing this gig for about 15 years already while many have been just doing it for 5-8. He has seen so many heroes and villains and experienced so many scenarios that it's really no question why he can fight some big contenders. Still, the guy cannot fight certain big baddies alone and nor does he over excel in a certain category against other heroes. He is a jack of all trades in some way.

Like Batman, he has admitted he has a backup plan against other heroes and villains if the situation arises and even has figured out ways to beat certain opponents. In a comic, he admits to MJ he has figured out a way he can beat the Hulk, but the only way seems to be actually killing the Hulk, something that Peter is very much against. So I guess also, he has contingency plans against his heroic allies, but makes sure they are non lethal. Like the MCU Tony Stark thought when he saw Spider-Man, Peter is the greatest non lethal weapon to exist presently.

This. But, I really, really would like to know what Peter's contingency plan against the Hulk is/was, and if it would still work. If any one could do it, it would either be Pym, Doom, or Parker due to their multi-disciplinary natures. I would also like to know if the writer had an idea at the time, or just threw that tidbit in there.

#12 Posted by ItsaWorld (2376 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks said:

This. But, I really, really would like to know what Peter's contingency plan against the Hulk is/was, and if it would still work. If any one could do it, it would either be Pym, Doom, or Parker due to their multi-disciplinary natures. I would also like to know if the writer had an idea at the time, or just threw that tidbit in there.

He never said. He was just really admitting to MJ most of the heroes and himself have contingency plans against eachother if they were ever corrupted or something occurred and he started listing people off. MJ stops him at the HULK and asks if he really had some maneuver against him. Peter admits he does, but the only way for him to incapacitate the HULK is to kill him. He pretty much admits to MJ he has figured out a way to do so, but he hopes he never has to do this.

There was a forum a while back where people were discussing Tony Stark and his apparent desire to be Peter's father. Someone went into big detail on this and mentioned way back, during the multiple times Peter either attempted to become an Avenger or was scouted, Tony pushed for him and gave Spidey one task, take down the Hulk. Apparently, something happened to Bruce Banner and he couldn't be controlled or somethin...anyway they sent Spiderman there to fight the Hulk, which he did.

Peter apparently did excellent against him, but when it came to 'finishing him off' he could not. Spidey turned and left with IronMan screaming at him. Peter apparently stated "he couldn't do that to the big fella" I think he said HULK looked like he was in pain. So apparently Spidey has done something like this in the past, but I'm unsure how far it went.

Speaking of power against the HULK, MCU does a great job at showcasing Peter's potential and ever growing power. Though he seems just a bit more advanced in strength and nowhere on the peg of Thor or Cap, he keeps a piece of aircraft transportation from crushing him. It seems to even impress Cap to an extent. Peter only had his powers for 6 months in this event and is still growing. It's hinting he will grow stronger and will surpass Cap and the other's in strength

#13 Edited by amazingfantasy (2497 posts) - - Show Bio

he punches a lot

#14 Posted by BJParks (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks said:

He never said. He was just really admitting to MJ most of the heroes and himself have contingency plans against eachother if they were ever corrupted or something occurred and he started listing people off. MJ stops him at the HULK and asks if he really had some maneuver against him. Peter admits he does, but the only way for him to incapacitate the HULK is to kill him. He pretty much admits to MJ he has figured out a way to do so, but he hopes he never has to do this.

There was a forum a while back where people were discussing Tony Stark and his apparent desire to be Peter's father. Someone went into big detail on this and mentioned way back, during the multiple times Peter either attempted to become an Avenger or was scouted, Tony pushed for him and gave Spidey one task, take down the Hulk. Apparently, something happened to Bruce Banner and he couldn't be controlled or somethin...anyway they sent Spiderman there to fight the Hulk, which he did.

Peter apparently did excellent against him, but when it came to 'finishing him off' he could not. Spidey turned and left with IronMan screaming at him. Peter apparently stated "he couldn't do that to the big fella" I think he said HULK looked like he was in pain. So apparently Spidey has done something like this in the past, but I'm unsure how far it went.

Speaking of power against the HULK, MCU does a great job at showcasing Peter's potential and ever growing power. Though he seems just a bit more advanced in strength and nowhere on the peg of Thor or Cap, he keeps a piece of aircraft transportation from crushing him. It seems to even impress Cap to an extent. Peter only had his powers for 6 months in this event and is still growing. It's hinting he will grow stronger and will surpass Cap and the other's in strength

WHAT???!!!! Can someone tell me an issue number for this?! The closest thing I found was Amazing Spider-Man Annual #3, where to join the Avengers he had to take down the Hulk. Is that it?

#15 Posted by ItsaWorld (2376 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks: yeah, that should be the one. Like i said, i didnt read it, this info was from someone else

#16 Edited by Royal_Warrior (5060 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsaworld: hoesntly he's already surpassed cap in physical abilities in the MCU, holding up that was better than anything cap has done and him catching bucky's metal arm (which is stronger than cap) without trying or effort shows he's well beyond even in MCU

#17 Posted by amazingfantasy (2497 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks: Yes I've read it, that's the one. Pretty cool issue too. :)

#18 Posted by BJParks (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks: yeah, that should be the one. Like i said, i didnt read it, this info was from someone else

@bjparks: Yes I've read it, that's the one. Pretty cool issue too. :)

Thanks! I will find it and read it as soon as possible!

No Caption Provided

#19 Posted by kiba (3530 posts) - - Show Bio

How does Peter win any fight?

By doing whatever a spider can. Duh! There's a song about it.

#20 Posted by oldwasher (1735 posts) - - Show Bio

against villains like sandman, hydroman, or electro? usually through his intelligence, resourcefulness and a little bit of pure luck. plenty of spiderman's villains could kill him easily if it weren't for many of them not using their powers intelligently. others he's pretty evenly matched with on some level and it really comes down to other factors.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
#21 Posted by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter wins a good portion of his battles, through intelligence, skill, adaptation, resiliency, ingenuity, determination and heart.

Combing all of those qualities with Peter's Spider powers, then it's no surprise or shock why Peter is such a good fighter. That no one should underestimate.

#22 Posted by PersiBoss (212 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks: @bjparks: @royal_warrior: @theheaven_guardian10: @oldwasher: Spider man is 95% PIS bro. the authors never explain, rather just have us believe in his almighty fast spider powers. ive yet to see one author explain anything. ........if im wrong show scans plz.

Notice how everybody above just mentioned vague words like "intelligence" "speed" "blah blah"

Spidey fans: there is a thing called explanation. try it once.

#23 Posted by BruceRogers (17080 posts) - - Show Bio

This is an idiotic thread

#25 Edited by KrleAvenger (26178 posts) - - Show Bio

The point of this thread may be flawed but the argument fans are trying to make on this thread to prove the OP wrong is even worse.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#26 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (6962 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightcrawler is very weak compared spiderman nightcrawleris like comparing batman with superman...superman just can keep up

#27 Posted by BJParks (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks: @bjparks: @royal_warrior: @theheaven_guardian10: @oldwasher: Spider man is 95% PIS bro. the authors never explain, rather just have us believe in his almighty fast spider powers. ive yet to see one author explain anything. ........if im wrong show scans plz.

Notice how everybody above just mentioned vague words like "intelligence" "speed" "blah blah"

Could you elaborate on what you would like explanations for? I'm sure I could find at least a couple scans (and provide at least a couple explanations), but I'd like to know what in particular you find incredulous.

#28 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6418 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, let's be less vague. He is one of the strongest, fastest, smartest, most durable, most agile people on the Earth-616 (top 10 for intelligence and agility, top 50-100 for the others). If anything, I'd be more interested in how he actually gets beaten....

#29 Posted by TrustNoOne22 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

@persiboss said:

Okay, let's be less vague. He is one of the strongest, fastest, smartest, most durable, most agile people on the Earth-616 (top 10 for intelligence and agility, top 50-100 for the others). If anything, I'd be more interested in how he actually gets beaten....

And yet he;s supposed to be a average joe street leveler who gets beat up by weaker foes and stumbles hard to battle peak humans with actual fighting training when he loses his spider sense. He automatically gets these outliers where he can stand his ground, outspeed, overpower and think tatically how to beat anyone way above his pay grade. He can also do Pym esqe stuff and make his own cosmic cube.

Is he a Mary Sue or something.

#30 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6418 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099 said:
@persiboss said:

And yet he;s supposed to be a average joe street leveler who gets beat up by weaker foes and stumbles hard to battle peak humans with actual fighting training when he loses his spider sense.

It's called PIS - a bunch of incompetent writers have decided Peter must be a street level character even though it makes no sense given his capabilities.

He automatically gets these outliers where he can stand his ground, outspeed, overpower and think tatically how to beat anyone way above his pay grade. He can also do Pym esqe stuff and make his own cosmic cube.

These aren't outliers, these are his normal capabilities. Outliers would be when he punched out FIrelord or lifted a skyscraper.

No, not really. I mean, to a certain extent he is, like all comic book characters, but he is far less of a Mary Sue than, say, Captain America.

#31 Posted by BJParks (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@trustnoone22 said:
@blackspidey2099 said:
@persiboss said:

And yet he;s supposed to be a average joe street leveler who gets beat up by weaker foes and stumbles hard to battle peak humans with actual fighting training when he loses his spider sense.

It's called PIS - a bunch of incompetent writers have decided Peter must be a street level character even though it makes no sense given his capabilities.

He automatically gets these outliers where he can stand his ground, outspeed, overpower and think tatically how to beat anyone way above his pay grade. He can also do Pym esqe stuff and make his own cosmic cube.

These aren't outliers, these are his normal capabilities. Outliers would be when he punched out FIrelord or lifted a skyscraper.

No, not really. I mean, to a certain extent he is, like all comic book characters, but he is far less of a Mary Sue than, say, Captain America.

It is not PIS, rather it is consistent with his character depicted over his 50-60 year history thus far.

A little precision is in order: to date, Spider-Man has never lifted a skyscraper. Supported yes, but it is difficult to know exactly how much weight he supported (although not impossible).

I would argue the same for @trustnoone22. Beyond the obvious hyperbole of being able to beat "anyone," doing Pym-esque stuff and most of the so-called 'outliers' are consistent with his depiction.

#32 Edited by TrustNoOne22 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Outliers are him making enough time to solve something not even Reed can. And have the durability to withstand a blow from two phoenix force user beating down on him.

He's capable of this science junk that he can build his own stuff to make Reed proud, yet he's still has trouble getting bills on time and failing basic tasks.

Yet his story narrative has him dumb enough to jump to join the side Tony has when he actually has Captain America as a freakin idol.

Peter lost his marriage because he's back to not learn from his past battles with supernatural dark forces and basically giving them the finger.

Peter is basically a pis self insert avatar, he's as consistent as the story wants him to be.

#33 Edited by BJParks (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@trustnoone22 said:

Outliers are him making enough time to solve something not even Reed can. And have the durability to withstand a blow from two phoenix force user beating down on him.

He's capable of this science junk that he can build his own stuff to make Reed proud, yet he's still has trouble getting bills on time and failing basic tasks.

Yet his story narrative has him dumb enough to jump to join the side Tony has when he actually has Captain America as a freakin idol.

Peter lost his marriage because he's back to not learn from his past battles with supernatural dark forces and basically giving them the finger.

Peter is basically a pis self insert avatar, he's as consistent as the story wants him to be.

You misunderstand. The time explosive solution was not an outlier because a) it was not because Reed was not smart enough, but was looking for too complicated a solution for the task at hand, and b) was a situation specifically engineered by a Spider-Man nemesis, who knew how Spider-Man thinks.

Similarly, the Phoenix Force beatdown was not an outlier becasue a) Spider-Man is known to have very high durability, not in the sense of invulnerability, but how much punishment he can take, b) the Phoenix Force users were both holding back considerably (Colossus especially), and c) he outsmarted them by playing them against each other (although I'll admit it was weak).

That's part of his character. He's a genius-level intellect with the potential to be on the level of Reed or Pym, but he also prizes his responsibility more than his intellect.

The Civil War thing was super dumb. I agree. (Although there were slightly justifiable reasons given recent history at the time.)

Editorial decision. But on the other hand, yes, incredibly stupid.

I disagree. He kind of has a scaled down "World of Cardboard" viewpoint, which makes him often hold back. But when he cuts loose, it is AWESOME. :)

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
#34 Posted by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

@persiboss: What you're saying makes no type of sense.

#35 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6418 posts) - - Show Bio

Outliers are him making enough time to solve something not even Reed can.

Nope - he's done this on at least 2 occasions. (ASM 648 and ASM 694)

And have the durability to withstand a blow from two phoenix force user beating down on him.

He's taken hits from Hulk, Hercules, Thor, etc. so he should be fine.

This is complete PIS, I agree. Thankfully Marvel seems to be noticing this too! :)

Bad writing is bad writing. Not sure how this relates to the original topic though.

OMD was extremely stupid too, no disagreements here either.

Aren't all comic characters? In fact, the problem with Peter is that writers always like to underplay him so much.

#36 Edited by sazuke2497 (125 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099: I completely agree with you here tbh also he never lifted a skyscrapper the daily bugle skyscrapper thing he supported a portion of it holding up the whole thing weighs 365,000tons that building was crumbling peter only held it up due to his adrenaline boost due to being stressed he's not weak he does have PIS but not nearly as much as captain america or squirrel girl. Peter is definately strong enough to hold up 100tons possibly more if he's angry/bloodlusted/stressed, he's far stronger than people give him credit for however without being bloodlusted,stressed or angry without the adrenaline boost he's a 65tonner at his peak/prime at his best basically but aside from that i agree with everything you say bud.

Avatar image for silveragereader
#37 Edited by SilverAgeReader (77 posts) - - Show Bio

This is sort of an odd question to be posing, since screenshots of references to his strength levels and feats of strength have already been posted on another thread on this same site:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/master-chief-vs-spiderman-1590841/?page=2

Marvel also has a Wiki where you can look up his specific powers and abilities:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Parker_(Earth-616)

And the Marvel strength scale is here:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Strength_Scale

Among other things, he can lift at least 10 and perhaps as many as 25 tons over his head, jump three stories vertically, move faster than the eye can follow, balance perfectly in any orientation, and perform gymnastic maneuvers impossible for a non-enhanced human. His reflexes are 40 times faster than an ordinary human's. He has superhuman stamina, endurance, agility, and healing. His spider sense is linked to his reflexes, giving him instantaneous response to its signal. There's more, but you can see the details in the URLs above. His fighting method and skills have evolved around his unique abilities, which he has used for at least 13 years in MU time. He is a highly skilled fighter in a method that only he can employ, since he is really the only superhuman in the MU with his combination of strength, speed, agility, reflexes, a spider sense, and the abilities to stick to walls and shoot webs. He is also an intellectual genius whose early career was spent mostly defeating more powerful foes using his wits and his inventiveness. It allows him to operate above his weight class fairly routinely.

I'll only add a couple more points. First, writers have been all over the place about the extents of his abilities (In fact, all the characters' abilities.) That is more an editor problem than a writer problem, and it has been much worse over the last 10 years because the editors have just been letting the writers run wild. Power sets for a single character go from nearly street-level to virtually god-like depending on the writer. Editors are supposed to rein this in. The Marvel editors used to be much better at this. Right now they don't even bother. Second, there is a limit to "fighting skills" when someone with no powers takes on a superhuman. Being a ninja is not a superpower. Put a martial arts champion in a cage with a tiger and he will still be lunch. There is no amount of training that will allow a man to take on someone who can dead-lift 10 tons and has reflexes 40 times faster than his.

#38 Edited by chuckwolf (921 posts) - - Show Bio

Current 616 Spider-man is a 40~50 tonner with reflexes faster than any other being in the marvel universe, he is also by far the most agile, that topped off with having precognition that works on an instinctive level. meaning he knows exactly how and where an enemy is going to attack before the enemy even thinks about attacking. how do you fight someone who can counter/avoid your every attack, on top of that Peter perceives time as if it is slowed down hundreds of times, think about those ultra high speed camera videos on youtube, etc. the 100,000 fps ones... that's how he perceives the world while in combat. Bullets moving at supersonic speeds are nearly motionless to him, Electricty and light based attacks are slowed in a similar way Normal human speed attacks are literally in frame by frame slow motion to him, and this is without factoring in the precog. only lightspeed level speedsters have a chance of outmaneuvering him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab39f2267ace
#39 Posted by deactivated-5ab39f2267ace (170 posts) - - Show Bio

lmao.