Do You See Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy Becoming The "Nightwing" and "Batgirl" To Peter's "Batman"?

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do You See Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy Becoming The "Nightwing" and "Batgirl" To Peter's "Batman"? (42 votes)

Yes 31%
No 69%

Why or why not?

• 
Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No. Contrary to what Marvel wants, Peter isn't a Batman type of character and really shouldn't have such a large legacy. It should just be Peter, any future child from him (fat chance of Marvel ever doing that), and maybe a clone or two. No more.

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't that kind of self evident?

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miles existence does make him a Robin since we already have the original Spider-Man romping around, yet Spider-Gwen is from another universe altogether. She is pretty much her own superhero and not a sidekick. They are no other spiderpeople within her world and thus she is unique and her own persona.

Spidergirl would be the batgirl equivalent and they are a few that pop up here and there within the 616.

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MeanAndGreen

I guess there's not enough interaction among them yet, but I could see Marvel building up to that, especially after Robbie Rodriguez leaves the Spider-Gwen book and she appears on the upcoming cartoon.

Bendis already announced that he's further integrating Miles into 616 and developing his relationship with Peter over the next year and a half.

Miles and Gwen are already appearing alongside Peter in adaptations and merchandise.
Miles and Gwen are already appearing alongside Peter in adaptations and merchandise.

I think it's really only a matter of time before Gwen/Earth-65 is merged into Marvel's prime universe like Miles/1610 was.

@tvc-15 said:

No. Contrary to what Marvel wants, Peter isn't a Batman type of character and really shouldn't have such a large legacy. It should just be Peter, any future child from him (fat chance of Marvel ever doing that), and maybe a clone or two. No more.

I only see Miles and Gwen as proper legacies. The other Spiders don't seem to have the same following or staying power. And many of them wouldn't be as easily adapted to other mediums as Miles and Gwen are because they're too different from Peter or have really complex or convoluted backstories.

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of people think Batman should be a loner, but he's still frequently written alongside other heroes.

That said, I don't see Miles or Gwen being "Robin"-like characters. I think that even if they are tied closer to 616 Peter, they'll operate about as independently as Nightwing or Batgirl.

Just trying to get other peoples' opinions though.

-Edit: Heck, Miles is getting his own film, not too unlike the Nightwing announcement. Wouldn't surprise me if Gwen got some sort of film as well down the line.

Ibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ibe

No, for several reasons, some petty, some not.

1. Gwen is older than Miles.
  2. They are in two different Earths/Worlds
  3. I don't like Gwen being in a relationship so early in her character, in contrast to how long others have been around
  4. I don't like Gwen being in a relationship at all other than her friendship with The Mary Janes band (which they need to get her back to...)
  5. I don't like Gwen being out of Earth-65 as often as Marvel pushes her out to be somewhere else
  6. I want her to meet new people in/from Earth-65 that can have a deeper connection to her, if she has to be in a relationship. This way, they can build Earth-65 more, since 616 is a such a God-damned mess.
  7. They barely interacted to form a relationship (Thank God...)
  8. It'd probably blue-balls Bendis if he couldn't hamfist them together, and I like that
  9. I fucking hate Miles
  10. Miles is lame
  11. Miles is a stupid, cheap Spider-Man
  12. I don't like MIles
  13. I fucking hate Miles
ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess there's not enough interaction among them yet, but I could see Marvel building up to that, especially after Robbie Rodriguez leaves the Spider-Gwen book and she appears on the upcoming cartoon.

Bendis already announced that he's further integrating Miles into 616 and developing his relationship with Peter over the next year and a half.

I think it's really only a matter of time before Gwen/Earth-65 is merged into Marvel's prime universe like Miles/1610 was.

@tvc-15 said:

I only see Miles and Gwen as proper legacies. The other Spiders don't seem to have the same following or staying power. And many of them wouldn't be as easily adapted to other mediums as Miles and Gwen are because they're too different from Peter or have really complex or convoluted backstories.

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of people think Batman should be a loner, but he's still frequently written alongside other heroes.

That said, I don't see Miles or Gwen being "Robin"-like characters. I think that even if they are tied closer to 616 Peter, they'll operate about as independently as Nightwing or Batgirl.

Robbie Rodriguez is the artist for Spider-Gwen, not the writer. The series will continue but a new artist will take over the book. The series does too well not to.

Merchandise showcasing the 3 together are part of the new cartoon that is coming up. Problem is, I worked with kids, and most that watched Ultimate Spiderman said they didn't like it during the Web Warriors thing because they were "TOO MANY SPIDER-MENS" I worry that their new cartoon is just going to be the same thing, specially when Dan Slott will be taking heavy charge in it.

Spider-Gwen does strongly because she is an independent entity and her value diminishes when she is presented into the 616.

The legacy is more attuned with cult classics such as Miguel Ohara and perhaps to a large extent Spider-Girl, specifically Mayday Parker which is historically the longest running Solo Heroine comic series in Marvel. The reason we didn't see a lot of Marketing for her was because past corporate kinda hated her but they couldn't get rid of the books cause they apparently did really well. They hated her because she symbolized 2 things, clone saga and Peter as a dad. Her whole books were about continuing the legacy that he was and in fact was hinted at within the 616 in a single comic about people from the future talking about Spider-Man's legacy and those who followed after him.

Miles Morales, though nice and interesting, after the creation of Riri, I feel that Bendis just made him to be a meal ticket. I say this because Riri is introduced the same way, meaning he has no clue how real diversity works or how to make a character very original. Miles remains stunted as we see he has yet to gain his own memorable villains that make him unique to Peter.

Also, the picture you used seems to be from the Spider-Man Unlimited Game, which in fact not only showcases Miles and Gwen but a lot of Mayday, Annie-May, Symbiotes and every Spider-Man created. The Mysterio run had probably alot more to do with Miles and Gwen, thus they showcase them there. Right now, they currently are doing a whole Symbiote storyline and thus have heavily used April Parker, the clone of Mayday who is a symbiote hybrid. She is really interesting. The game is fantastic as it takes some storylines wich were lacking and remasters them to make them more fun. Not to mention making their own. Like...KRAVEN! The new storyline is about Kraven hunting Symbiotes.....THATS AWESOME!!!! There was also a family based event and even a family based pack to collect wich is Uncle Ben, Peter, MJ, Aunt May, Mayday and Annie May. I also recall there being a future storyline that just soleley focused on Miguel and Morlun, so much that he got his own level pack, something that hasn't been done in any other event...

...now that I think about it, only Miguel has ever been fully implemented into the videogames. Miles has been more of a DLC character in things and I've never seen Spider-Gwen or the others placed.

theredhood44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk but its stupid

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Gwen and Miles if inly for Charlotte and Max. I see Gwen being the batgirl for spider men, but I don't see her as a sidekick for Miles.

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't about a relationship between Miles and Gwen, so much as the nature of the relationship between each character and Peter...

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BJParks
@itsaworld said:

Miles existence does make him a Robin since we already have the original Spider-Man romping around, yet Spider-Gwen is from another universe altogether. She is pretty much her own superhero and not a sidekick. They are no other spiderpeople within her world and thus she is unique and her own persona.

Spidergirl would be the batgirl equivalent and they are a few that pop up here and there within the 616.

@meanandgreen said:

@tvc-15 said:

Robbie Rodriguez is the artist for Spider-Gwen, not the writer. The series will continue but a new artist will take over the book. The series does too well not to.

Merchandise showcasing the 3 together are part of the new cartoon that is coming up. Problem is, I worked with kids, and most that watched Ultimate Spiderman said they didn't like it during the Web Warriors thing because they were "TOO MANY SPIDER-MENS" I worry that their new cartoon is just going to be the same thing, specially when Dan Slott will be taking heavy charge in it.

Spider-Gwen does strongly because she is an independent entity and her value diminishes when she is presented into the 616.

The legacy is more attuned with cult classics such as Miguel Ohara and perhaps to a large extent Spider-Girl, specifically Mayday Parker which is historically the longest running Solo Heroine comic series in Marvel. The reason we didn't see a lot of Marketing for her was because past corporate kinda hated her but they couldn't get rid of the books cause they apparently did really well. They hated her because she symbolized 2 things, clone saga and Peter as a dad. Her whole books were about continuing the legacy that he was and in fact was hinted at within the 616 in a single comic about people from the future talking about Spider-Man's legacy and those who followed after him.

Miles Morales, though nice and interesting, after the creation of Riri, I feel that Bendis just made him to be a meal ticket. I say this because Riri is introduced the same way, meaning he has no clue how real diversity works or how to make a character very original. Miles remains stunted as we see he has yet to gain his own memorable villains that make him unique to Peter.

Also, the picture you used seems to be from the Spider-Man Unlimited Game, which in fact not only showcases Miles and Gwen but a lot of Mayday, Annie-May, Symbiotes and every Spider-Man created. The Mysterio run had probably alot more to do with Miles and Gwen, thus they showcase them there. Right now, they currently are doing a whole Symbiote storyline and thus have heavily used April Parker, the clone of Mayday who is a symbiote hybrid. She is really interesting. The game is fantastic as it takes some storylines wich were lacking and remasters them to make them more fun. Not to mention making their own. Like...KRAVEN! The new storyline is about Kraven hunting Symbiotes.....THATS AWESOME!!!! There was also a family based event and even a family based pack to collect wich is Uncle Ben, Peter, MJ, Aunt May, Mayday and Annie May. I also recall there being a future storyline that just soleley focused on Miguel and Morlun, so much that he got his own level pack, something that hasn't been done in any other event...

...now that I think about it, only Miguel has ever been fully implemented into the videogames. Miles has been more of a DLC character in things and I've never seen Spider-Gwen or the others placed.

Partially agreed. The "I don't want to be Black Spider-Man, I want to be Spider-Man" line in particular was so cringe.

Nice Mysterio pic.

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mizerous: Not about romance between Miles and Gwen but about friendship level between Miles/Peter and Gwen/Peter.

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MeanAndGreen

@bjparks: I know Rodriguez is the artist, but I can see Marvel renumbering once he leaves, and he's been talking about leaving for a while now due to declining eyesight. And I wouldn't be surprised if renumbering were used as an opportunity to take the book in a new direction that takes inspiration from outside sources. I could see Latour staying on like Bending to at least make such a transition a smooth one. It's all speculation of course.

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BJParks

@meanandgreen said:

@bjparks: I know Rodriguez is the artist, but I can see Marvel renumbering once he leaves, and he's been talking about leaving for a while now due to declining eyesight. And I wouldn't be surprised if renumbering were used as an opportunity to take the book in a new direction that takes inspiration from outside sources. I could see Latour staying on like Bending to at least make such a transition a smooth one. It's all speculation of course.

Heh. Sorry, except for the last two lines, that was initially posted by @ItsAWorld, but some of the formatting got removed when I reposted.

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meanandgreen: Back to #1? That could be a bad thing if sales drop below the 60 range.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjparks said:
@meanandgreen said:

Heh. Sorry, except for the last two lines, that was initially posted by @ItsAWorld, but some of the formatting got removed when I reposted.

Marvel has promised to stop all the renumbering stuff. If they were to do this now, it would cause problems. As of right now, SpiderGwen has a great and expansive world within her own realm and should remain there. Suggesting her to integrate within the current 616 is like suggesting Mayday Parker, 1600s Spiderman or even Japan Spiderman to enter the main world. They have their own universes to explore and it only destroys it if you force them into the main universe. Not to mention you make them and the original spiderman less special.

This is why i have problems with Miguel Ohara being in the present timeline and far away from his own universe. It just ruins the story. No one wants to see him in the present, we want to see him in the future fighting the evil baddies that are there and see what different foes he has to take on.

Spider-Man was interesting because he tends to be the only one of his kind, yet nowadays we have 6 of him running around in the same universe. It makes him and the others less interesting. Gwen would enter the 616 only to be like the 4th Spider-Woman. Yep, we actually have several in the main cannon realm. Spider-Gwen is known as Spider-Woman of her universe. Spider-Gwen is the title to indicate who the hero is to the readers.

johanshieh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xXRedTokyoXx: Batgirl is also older than Nightwing, so age is not a problem. The problem is can Miles be a manwhore like Dick?

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheWatcherKing

No, Gwen is her own person and isn't the type of person to play side kick.

As for Miles I would say no but marvel will probably do that to him.

nx74205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that is a novel idea and would show some growth for Peter, moving him into a mentorship role.

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightwing and Batgirl are less "sidekick" and more "partner" these days, aren't they? I wouldn't say Steel is superman's sidekick either, even though he's a spin off.

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nx74205 said:

I think that is a novel idea and would show some growth for Peter, moving him into a mentorship role.

I like that idea.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NEVER!

Miles should have his own original codename and costume in 616 or be booted out into an alternate universe from whence he came.

I don't care one iota for Spider-Gwen. Keep her out of 616 and in her own alternate universe. What a silly premise and name for a superhero.

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: Have you read her title? She goes by Spider-woman in the book.

Ibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xXRedTokyoXx: Batgirl is also older than Nightwing, so age is not a problem. The problem is can Miles be a manwhore like Dick?

It's a problem for me. Oh, and the huge glaring issue I always forget about; they're in two different worlds.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I have read a few copies at my LCS, it's just not for me. I know Spider-Gwen is set in (Earth 65), but for me Jessica Drew is Spider-Woman in 616. The new quirky (super-hero) Spider-Gwen may be fine for a new generation of fans, but I generally don't like alternate universes or different takes on a character, especially Gwen whom IMO, was once an integral supporting cast member in (616 ASM), and of course Pete's first love.

Also ASM #121–122 is a finality with me. "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" is such a classic story that had a profound effect many fans and I'm happy for the original Gwen Stacy to rest in peace. Therefore I don't have any empathy or interest for alternate universe versions or 616 clones.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xXRedTokyoXx: but how do you feel about Miles? I don't think you covered that. ;)

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meanandgreen said:

Yes, I have read a few copies at my LCS, it's just not for me. I know Spider-Gwen is set in (Earth 65), but for me Jessica Drew is Spider-Woman in 616. The new quirky (super-hero) Spider-Gwen may be fine for a new generation of fans, but I generally don't like alternate universes or different takes on a character, especially Gwen whom IMO, was once an integral supporting cast member in (616 ASM), and of course Pete's first love.

Also ASM #121–122 is a finality with me. "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" is such a classic story that had a profound effect many fans and I'm happy for the original Gwen Stacy to rest in peace. Therefore I don't have any empathy or interest for alternate universe versions or 616 clones.

Why does it matter that she is an alternate version of 616 Gwen? You're acting like 616 Gwen is such an amazing character.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye said:
@meanandgreen said:

Why does it matter that she is an alternate version of 616 Gwen? You're acting like 616 Gwen is such an amazing character.

As long as she stays in (Earth 65) it doesn't matter, I don't care for the character.

No, Gwen was never an amazing character, she was an integral supporting cast member until the night she died. Like I said, I'm happy for the original Gwen Stacy to rest in peace.

Ibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@xXRedTokyoXx: but how do you feel about Miles? I don't think you covered that. ;)

I think he's alrightTHE WORST CHARACTER EVER.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Loading Video...

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer for 616 is No, No, and no. They will never, in the 616, allow for Peter Parker to be replaced truly by Spider-Gwen and/or Miles Morales. Plus both of those characters sell significantly less than any series with Peter Parker as Spider-Man. I don't see Miles and Spider-Gwen having long term staying power as characters nowadays, like Nightwing and Batgirl have.

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer for 616 is No, No, and no. They will never, in the 616, allow for Peter Parker to be replaced truly by Spider-Gwen and/or Miles Morales. Plus both of those characters sell significantly less than any series with Peter Parker as Spider-Man. I don't see Miles and Spider-Gwen having long term staying power as characters nowadays, like Nightwing and Batgirl have.

Time will tell if you're right about this or not.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mizerous: Time may tell, but considering the two series with Peter Parker, possibly three with Spectactular Spider-Man outselling Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen? They are likely at least going to be reduced to occasional supporting characters, followed by being put in limbo as an even worse type of fate. With Miles, I can already see him getting reduced to a supporting character without his own title, Marvel can only bail him out so much.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@mizerous: Time may tell, but considering the two series with Peter Parker, possibly three with Spectactular Spider-Man outselling Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen? They are likely at least going to be reduced to occasional supporting characters, followed by being put in limbo as an even worse type of fate. With Miles, I can already see him getting reduced to a supporting character without his own title, Marvel can only bail him out so much.

Sadly, Miles will continue to star in his own solo book no matter what. He's protected much like the new Ironheart as one of the more successful racially diverse legacy characters Marvel has been shoving into our throats.

ASM is underwhelming thanks to Slott's writing but it still remains the best selling solo superhero comic Marvel has and that's just because its called Amazing Spider Man and is promoted as the main title. RYV is excellent in every way but being an AU title it suffers for it yet its still a critical success and maintains stellar sales.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DieHard200904

@ursaber: The reason why ASM is the best selling because people find what they want in it. Not neccessarily what you or I are looking for, but it is entertaining to some people out there. If someone thinks something sucks enough, they don't spend money on it. But the Peter Parker series outsell Miles, and like I said, he may not go away, just be a supporting character that shows up in team issues. Spider-Gwen, I see limbo as likely for that character.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@ursaber: The reason why ASM is the best selling because people find what they want in it. Not neccessarily what you or I are looking for, but it is entertaining. But the Peter Parker series outsell Miles, and like I said, he may not go away, just be a supporting character that shows up in team issues. Spider-Gwen, I see limbo as likely for that character.

I have no personal beef with Miles. If he was handled better I would read his comic but he's just taking on Peter's villains and doesn't have a good personal life to get into. But Miles Morales' Spider Man won't be cancelled. Its specially protected by Marvel. Spider Gwen is the one that's probably in more danger but at least that book has some better creative minds than Miles does.

Best spider book is Renew Your Vows. Wished that was the canon Spider Man.

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I would rather Gwen be in Miles series in a minor or supporting role than limbo.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
@diehard200904 said:

@ursaber: The reason why ASM is the best selling because people find what they want in it. Not neccessarily what you or I are looking for, but it is entertaining to some people, like the Simpsons somehow still are, or how the Transformers movies still are (editing the left out parts. But all the Peter Parker series outsell Miles, and like I said, he may not go away, just be a supporting character that shows up in team issues. Spider-Gwen, I see limbo as likely for that character.

I have no personal beef with Miles. If he was handled better I would read his comic but he's just taking on Peter's villains and doesn't have a good personal life to get into. But Miles Morales' Spider Man won't be cancelled. Its specially protected by Marvel. Spider Gwen is the one that's probably in more danger but at least that book has some better creative minds than Miles does.

Are we posting past each other then? I see Miles existing for the foreseeable as a character, but if they money isn't being brought in sufficiently, he may be a supporting character.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I voted nay cause handling of the whole thing. It might have worked If Peter, was at least mentor/teacher to one of them. So I don't see Peter having that bond, Bruce has with Dick and Barbara.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the problem is that Miles and Peter's "bond" is nowhere even close to that of Batman and Nightwing's. The latter fought together way back since the beginning when Dick was only 10 years old and we see how their relationship evolves. With Pete and Miles it's just a couple of moments together where one of them makes a typical joke about crime fighting, nothing deep.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By comicace3

Please never use that in a sentence again.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Verse