Did science make spiderman? or did magic?

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

Edited By DATNIGGA

in the original story they kept it scientific but as i read more into it there appears to be alot of mystical aspects of his ability as well

in grim hunt spiderman states that all of the spiders that you see were chosen by some big spider goddess.

at first i didnt really wanna by it cause spidermans orgin was heavily based on science & the fact that all the spider girls the clone & events in his life were predestined by some magic goddess... idk it feels like im reading docter strange

but when you take into account of madame web

No Caption Provided

the psychic that is connected to ''the web'' & Ezekiel

No Caption Provided

you get the feeling that spiderman's entire story is magical.

Its interesting but it seems to take away from the story in my opinion what happened to the regular teenaged boy who ACCIDENTALLY got bitten by a radio active spider? now it seems like were left with a warrior chosen by the gods... I believe that's Hercules's story line

what are your feelings on this?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

I really don't care for the magical stuff...I didn't like it in The Other and I haven't liked it since

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By fodigg

I don't mind the hand of fate taking part in Peter Parker's origins, but I would hate to get away from the scientific background of his origins. In fact, I'm even a little sad when they get too far away from straight "radiation" as the source of his power. I like that he's a post-birth radioactive mutant.

Thankfully, even when hip-deep in the mystical side of Spider-Man lore, this fact isn't always forgotten. For example, Parker ultimately defeated Morlun:

--by embracing the sci-fi aspects of his origins and irradiating himself to high heaven, thereby turning himself into a lethal poison Morlun couldn't feed on.
Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Strider1992

Well all this began when Ezekiel turned up and then the attack from Shathra. In my opinion they should have kept to the science aspect of it and never introduced the magical side. If they had to give Peter his "Other" powers (which to be honest I quite liked) they should have used science.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RedK

the mystical nature is also dealt with in Spider-man Fever, personally i like like both aspects of it, i'm not a big fan of magic in comics or alot of magic characters, but i like the idea that spider-man was chosen to receive his abilitys but that science was used as the method to give him his powers, sort of adding to some great heroic mission that he's destined for

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By mewmdude77

I don't care for the magic portion, just keep going with science

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

Neither.

Spider-Man was a product of funk.

Amanthine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Amanthine

That's Chameleon or Mysterio, can't remember... but that don't matter.

My personal take on the matter is that Peter was irradiated by the the spider and, due to comic book rules, became Spider-Man. As Spider-Man, he became the perfect "totem" for Anansi and... related mystical spider things. So it wasn't predetermined by magical wazoo that he would become Spider-Man, but because he was already Spider-Man that all that The Other and Ezekiel stuff seemed to congregate around him.

Then again I also don't care for his parents being super spies, and that whole business that Peter's blood was already special before he was bitten, and that's why the spider bite gave him powers instead of cancer, or whatever.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By SpidermanWins

The idea of him being like Hercules is cool but he was made of science, not magic. Until it is confirmed that the mystical realm played a part in his creation, it is science that directly gave him his abilities. Perhaps his choosing was destiny but I'm not sure about magically linked. Doctor Strange would know.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mystical approach was really just a lazy way to augment his abilities.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By zombietag

i hated the other, i try to ignore it

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Hazlenaut

I like the idea of him being an avatar of chaos since it goes with him being unexpected. He did give birth to himself when he died. He is an Ouroboros so magic is part a factor Spiderman. He made friends with Loki when he saved one of his children. The embodiment of chaos designated him the avatar of chaos as he has no plans with his power and he seem foils everyone's plans good or bad.

Avatar image for top_flight_security
Top Flight Security

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

During the Dark Ages, science was considered to be magic so in a sense, one can actually conclude that it was both science and magic that created Spiderman.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@RedK: Well said. Sweet combination!

Kiddevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Kiddevil

Hmm I think hes created by science but the "accident" that gave him his powers was created by magic. Sooooooo... half and half.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

I really do not care for the mystical aspect of his origin. The characters associated with it are cool, but I really prefer the more scientific approach.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Deranged Midget

Wasn't a huge fan but science was a reasonable outcome to lean upon 50 years ago but they I didn't mind the way they went about explaining it in Grim Hunt.

EpicSpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Spider-Man is magic, does that mean he can beat up Superman? lol

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to think it is mixture of both.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He was created from science. "The other" was a stupid story.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@kcomicfan: Better than anything that's being written now.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^^^^^SO TRUE^^^^^

Although I do favor the science angle myself more than the mystic stuff. A radioactive induced spider producing a venom that changed the genetics of a humble high school bookworm is a pretty cool concept.

AdamAnouer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoiler Alert for the entire Spider-Verse according to Ezekiel and The Inheritors yes every single Spider-Man was destined to get bitten by the Spider and join the Web of Life (Master Weaver Ex-Machina) and while each Spider Was created under different circumstances they were all lead to their targets.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle said:

^^^^^SO TRUE^^^^^

Although I do favor the science angle myself more than the mystic stuff. A radioactive induced spider producing a venom that changed the genetics of a humble high school bookworm is a pretty cool concept.

Yeah, I agree :)

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The other" is in no way better then the start of Slotts spider-man run. And it is equally as bad as the current storys after Amazing Spider-man #1.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Waffle

@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:

"The other" is in no way better then the start of Slotts spider-man run. And it is equally as bad as the current storys after Amazing Spider-man #1.

lol you're pretty funny :)

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kcomicfan

@the_waffle said:
@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:

It's true. The first few story arcs from Slott are way better then Stories like Sins Past, The other and OMD

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love the mystical element introduced. I also love the other.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved The Other.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

A mix of both.

Beata

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe the magical factor comes to play when Spidey uses his power at their highest but theres scitentific logic to them.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle said:
@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:

It's true. The first few story arcs from Slott are way better then Stories like Sins Past, The other and OMD

You are right, I think they are better, (barely) than Sins Past and OMD. But I still think they read better than Slotts stories in terms of dialogue no matter how horrendous the premise of Sins Past and OMD was.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Science. I believe Ezekiel said something along the lines of "science is the how, magic is the why." Good way to put it.

I like the addition to the mythos.

this works for me

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Both. Magic is the hand that made him and science is the tool that the hand used to make him.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Other is one of my favorites. I don't really care what made Pete Spidey, science or magic, he's still a great character.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingspiderman15 said:

The Other is one of my favorites. I don't really care what made Pete Spidey, science or magic, he's still a great character.

Agreed

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:
@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:

You are right, I think they are better, (barely) than Sins Past and OMD. But I still think they read better than Slotts stories in terms of dialogue no matter how horrendous the premise of Sins Past and OMD was.

I have the opposite opinion, in my opinion the storys written by Slott read better then Sins Past and OMD. Slott run is way better then sins past and OMD, one gets ok-great reviews and the other is seen as some of the worst storys in the history of comic books, it is not a fair comparison.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:
@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:
@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:

I have the opposite opinion, in my opinion the storys written by Slott read better then Sins Past and OMD. Slott run is way better then sins past and OMD, one gets ok-great reviews and the other is seen as some of the worst storys in the history of comic books, it is not a fair comparison.

Sins Past, despite it's flaws, reads better because the characters are being put through some very emotionally-stirring paces and forced to acknowledge a treasured time in their lives wasn't so innocent after all. It feels very mature. Maturity is something one does not associate with much of Slott's run.

Likewise The Other also has some very inspirational moments, with MJ and May coping with the inevitability of death in Peter's line of work and being strengthened by the experience.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. Magic is the hand that made him and science is the tool that the hand used to make him.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kcomicfan

@zarius said:
@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:
@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:
@kcomicfan said:
@the_waffle said:

Sins Past, despite it's flaws, reads better because the characters are being put through some very emotionally-stirring paces and forced to acknowledge a treasured time in their lives wasn't so innocent after all. It feels very mature. Maturity is something one does not associate with much of Slott's run.

Likewise The Other also has some very inspirational moments, with MJ and May coping with the inevitability of death in Peter's line of work and being strengthened by the experience.

Just because a book is more mature, does not necessarily mean it is better. Slott's book is fun and IMO that is why it reads well.

Slott has written something with similar themes like coping with death, life is not so innocent, and is it right to take a life in the story arc "No one dies".

Avatar image for amontheboneless
AmonTheBoneless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea that he was chosen to wield spider powers by the spider entities but GAINED those power via science. Like for example I imagine that if that radioactive spider had bitten anyone else they would have died from radiation poisoning or something else

FromAPOV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an entire story written about this concept, I posted it on this forum titled as ''Spider-Man:Reborn''. And to be honest I was really intrigued when it was proposed that Peter's powers might have come from Magic, and unlike others I actually really liked The Other story, I thought it was good, but hey that's just my personal opinion.