• 108 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Our month-long celebration of Spider-Man continues! If you're wondering why Peter Parker's getting so much love on the homepage, it's because he's our first character of the month. This week, we wanted you to reflect on the web-slinger's live-action movies. After a 2 day voting period, 375 Viners voted and they've picked 2004's Spider-Man 2 as the winner! It took a fair lead, too. Way to go, Sam Raimi. Now, do yourself a favor and click here for mandatory background music.

No Caption Provided

Remember that time Alfred Molina played Doc Ock and he fought Spider-Man across the city on a train?! Of course you do, and that's because it was an awesome scene and Otto was a very memorable villain. Sure, it's a little odd seeing Octavius get punched in the face by Spidey a bunch of times, but who cares when it's so entertaining? We can just assume Parker's holding back a lot as well, right? Having a compelling foe is reason enough to give this movie praise, but on top of that, it also heavily addressed the sense of responsibility -- with great power and all that -- that Peter has. Can he simply stop being Spider-Man and let the world go back to the way it was? It sure would be easier for him since being a hero is taking a huge toll on his life. This movie shines the spotlight on that, but instead of being a total downer and building-up to something uplifting and inspiring, it has a great sense of fun throughout and even a comic book-ish vibe at times. Plus, the score is unforgettable and fits the movie's atmosphere so well. So yeah, it's fair to understand why so many love this movie, especially since it was such a huge hit at the time.

The Comic Viner JonSmith explains why they believe the movie is, well, awesome.

"Oh, I wish I could vote twice. If so, I'd vote for Spider-Man 2 AND Amazing Spider-Man 2. Instead, I have to give it to the good ol' Spider-Man 2. It was just the better movie, in my opinion. Better villain, better acting, Peter Parker was getting his butt kicked from every possible angle, in suit and out. Fantastic. Ock was awesome, Alfred Molina nailed the role, the arms looked awesome, and the whole 'tragic villain' thing was great in all respects. Peter losing his powers and having to relearn what it means to be a hero to return to being Spider-Man was... I'm running out of positive words to describe all the awesome parts of this movie. Maybe it's the nostalgia goggles talking, but this was the best movie out of all the Spider-Man films."

No Caption Provided

The Comic Viner DaltonMunnal says why they think the second place movie, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, is the best one.

"TASM2 > TASM > SM2 > SM > SM3.

Best acting by far. Most emotionally invested story. Feels the most like a comic book on screen I've ever seen (possibly more so than The Avengers). I have mixed feelings on the soundtrack. I'll have to reserve that for a second viewing. Others have complaints that it spends too much time setting up the future instead of being it's own movie, but from my perspective it doesn't get any more comic book than that. Until recently I had recalled SM1&2 still being great movies despite my preferring TASM and hating Tobey and Dunst, but I just rewatched them last week and realized that it was nostalgia talking and SM was awful, and SM2 was a good deal better but still loaded with problems and has reached the point of not quite holding up anymore."

Here's the complete poll results. Kind of funny that Spider-Man 3received 3%, no?

No Caption Provided

What's YOUR favorite scene from Spider-Man 2? Don't be shy, tell us below! Also, keep your eyes on the homepage for more Spidey content throughout the month of May. Be well, true believers!

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

DAMN STRAIGHT!

Dstick88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Yea i voted 2, wish i voted 3 so i could gave emo spidey a better chance :/

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Sounds good to me. So long as ASM 3 doesn't follow in SM 3's footsteps..

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm partial to a good origin story, so for me it's Spider-Man at the top. In fact, you could pretty much put them in order of.. appearance, and you have my list.

Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The way people talk so much crap about TASM series, I'm surprised they snagged 2nd and 3rd place.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

Background music activated!! Ahh… I love that theme, so much nostalgia.

And I'm so happy for Spider-Man 2, totally deserved it. One of the best superhero movies ever.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

huh......i guess there is a bit of hope in the world.

Avatar image for ultimastarkiller
UltimaStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UltimaStarkiller

I am the 3%. #occupyspiderman

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman 3 was entertaining but a farcry from the second movie.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, it's a little odd seeing Octavius get punched in the face by Spidey a bunch of times, but who cares when it's so entertaining?

Why is that odd? I don't read Spider-man as an ongoing so curious as to why he wouldn't fight him with fists. Didn't they fight with fists when they were in each others bodies before Superior?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

The way people talk so much crap about TASM series, I'm surprised they snagged 2nd and 3rd place.

Indeed. Glad to know some people have good taste :p

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Although I'm 11%, I wish I were 3%. Oh, come on. You don't choose TASM run when there's Spider Man 3! :D

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Although I like TASM as a series better than Raimi's trilogy, I did vote for Spider-Man 2. That was an excellent movie in several ways. It is nice to see other enjoy TASM much as I do though, it seems like it has so many haters out there.

I know everyone has there own tastes but...I really hope the 3% that voted for Spider-Man 3 were trolling.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

@kleo_94 said:
No Caption Provided

Although I'm 11%, I wish I were 3%. Oh, come on. You don't choose TASM run when there's Spider Man 3! :D

Oh please. No.

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kleo_94

@granitesoldier: SM3 was nice. Why, of course SM and SM2 were waaay better, but still, I won't lie: I loved SM3 no matter what. And I'm gonna skip TASM, because I'm the only person in the whole universe who didn't like it.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I picked ASM2, I actually liked Electro, I felt kinda sad for him. I also thought Green Goblin was handled perfectly, he was only in the film for 5 minutes, but damn that's all it took for me to like him. That whole scene with Green Goblin was just great, can't wait to see more of him. Norman Osborn was a great side character as well.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ascended

Dunno how Spider-man is under The Amazing Spider-man. I thought the ASM was just purely one of the worst Spider-man movies out there. People have to be trolling just like voting for Spider-man 3.

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, Spider-Man 3 is rushed, overstuffed, and subsequently has to essentially hack the script to jump to the plot points it needs to get to. EVEN SO, I get more feels from something like the Sandman "birth" than the entirety of Amazing and Amazing 2 combined. The sensibilities of Raimi's trilogy and how they are conveyed are simply more compatible with me. I totally understand that "emo parker" and the dancing is an extension of the already pseudo 60s style that those movies apply to everything, and it's a Grease/John Travolta-esque interpretation of "bad boy". It simply doesn't bother me at all. Is it a bit too Raimi and too out there to apply to a blockbuster movie? Probably.

Forcing Venom on the movie ripples through the entire thing, cutting short plot threads that should've been elaborated on - introducing plot points that never quite gel or make sense. It's crippled, compromised - but there's still a coherent message in the movie that shines through if you let it, and that has value to me.

It sure looks comic booky when Amazing Spidey punches a thing, though. And he quips! I just never really put as much stock into that as a lot of people do, I suppose.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I couldn't have begged for better results

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kleo_94 said:

@granitesoldier: SM3 was nice. Why, of course SM and SM2 were waaay better, but still, I won't lie: I loved SM3 no matter what. And I'm gonna skip TASM, because I'm the only person in the whole universe who didn't like it.

You're not alone lol TASM was a forgettable, lazy, mediocre movie. Say what you want about SM3, whether you think it was good or bad, it still left it's mark. And i'm actually of the opinion that it wasn't that bad. As for TASM2, it was actually decent and better than SM3 imo.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Captain13
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Loading Video...

clayscarface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: In case no one else responded, it's because of Spidey's super strength, I believe. Doc Ock doesn't really have superpowers, just the arms really. So for Spidey to actually be punching him straight in the face would result in some serious injuries.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spiderman 2, spiderman, spiderman 3, asm2, asm

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kriminal said:

spiderman 2, spiderman, spiderman 3, asm2, asm

Yup. Give this man a prize!

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: In case no one else responded, it's because of Spidey's super strength, I believe. Doc Ock doesn't really have superpowers, just the arms really. So for Spidey to actually be punching him straight in the face would result in some serious injuries.

Ahh. But, I mean, why?

Like all superheroes, nay like all humans, he is capable of holding back and exercising only as much strength as he needs/wants to.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Wow, I'm surprised with the results.

Billy_Cobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: I always thought that kid in the middle gif danced for just a little too long for my personal comfort. Now he can dance in an infinite loop! Perhaps my new favorite gif.

Sighburr_Punk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sighburr_Punk
No Caption Provided

I didn't like any of the Sam Raimi Spidey films. The new ones are a little edgier than I'm used to, but at least the acting is pretty good. And Spidey actually looks like a teenager.

No Caption Provided

Unlike this gentleman.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_stegman  Moderator

I voted for ASM2

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ascended

No Caption Provided

I didn't like any of the Sam Raimi Spidey films. The new ones are a little edgier than I'm used to, but at least the acting is pretty good. And Spidey actually looks like a teenager.

No Caption Provided

Unlike this gentleman.

No Caption Provided

I'm not the one to go around posting pictures of everybody's stupid faces, but here's one person you like, and he actually has no teeth at all. Spider-man in the comic book even has a teeth when he at least smiles.

Sighburr_Punk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended Oh, believe me, I'm not a big fan of Garfield either. I just think he looks slightly more youthful than Maguire.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BappyRonChantin

Fair result imo. By the way i haven't watched ASM2 yet and even though i kind of liked ASM at the 2nd view i would rate the first one of Raimi over it simply because of it's overall inspiration over the superhero movie genre, having a simplistic yet mesmerizing story coupled with Raimi's imagination despite being aged horribly.
Another note, just clicked on the youtube link on the article and saw a huge debate concerning the flaws of Raimi and Webb's versions from the haters of both sides! C'mon!! They are freaking movies dude! They were supposed to be enjoyed, not debunked! People are emotionally connected to their favorite ones and emotions are fairly illogical. Arguing over which movie is better is inconsequential at this point. Unless they are trashing things you like let people enjoy what they do.

daltonmunnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah. Never even occurred to me that I could be quoted in an article. I would have been a little more detailed had I realized, but at this point I was kind of sick of defending the movie. Very cool though. 5 seconds of fame while people read the quote. :)

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

over rated what a surprise.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't believe 2 won. That was my least favorite of all of them.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RustyRoy

Glad SM 2 won, one of my favorite movies of all time.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Wow, I never knew Spider-Man was into that kind of stuff

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ascended

There are a couple of pictures of Peter Parker from the comic book that looks like Tobey Maguire. I'm still not going to give a shit about what the haters think in the end.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

Dunno how Spider-man is under The Amazing Spider-man. I thought the ASM was just purely one of the worst Spider-man movies out there. People have to be trolling just like voting for Spider-man 3.

Agreed.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@simonm7 said:

I'm partial to a good origin story, so for me it's Spider-Man at the top.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Spider-Man 2 was a horrible movie

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Aunt Mays "I believe theres a hero in all of us" speech

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Why would you call it a horrible movie?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Because it was, the only good thing about it was the Doc Ock casting.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Because it was, the only good thing about it was the Doc Ock casting.

How so? The movie represented what a great hero Spider-Man is and what he represents and what people think of him. There were some bad things but mostly it was the best Spider-Man movie ever.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ascended

@jonny_anonymous: Are you serious? There were much more than just Doc Ock in that movie that was good.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: @ascended: In my opinion it was god awful, Toby Maguire is a terrible actor as is Rosemary Harris. Kirsten Dunst was completely miscast as MJ. The script was goofy as hell and the cgi was bad.

manlybanister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: @ascended: totally agreed Jonny. Even when I was young I hated them. Do you know how hard it is to make a 13 year old boy hate a spider-man movie!?