• 54 results
Rock_Hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Rock_Hard

Poll Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man vs JMS' Spider-Man (64 votes)

Brian Micheal Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man 67%
J. Michael Straczynski's Amazing Spider-Man 31%

These are usually the two most critically acclaimed Spider-Man runs of the 2000's. Which one did you think was better?

Note: This is only meant to include Bendis' first run on Ultimate Spider-Man from 2000 to 2009, so none of the Miles Morales stuff counts.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
BlindingLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ultimate Spider-Man by far. It was good from the beginning to the ending. JMS was only decent in the beginning and at his end he was giving us awful stories like Skin Deep, Sins Past, and One More Day.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate is much better imo but I also really like JMS' run. JMS did an amazing job at introducing new concepts to a story which has been running for about 40 years by the time he started writing Spider-Man. He story-telling was amazing and he made Aunt May and MJ much more interesting & important characters. It's sad to me that his entire run was pretty much wiped out and is ignored by other writers.

However, in Ultimate, Bendis managed to built a complete story, with a clear beginning and a clear end (at least until he decided to undo it), in 160 issues. He built the entire Spider-mythos from the ground up, excelling remarkably. Bagley's work alongside Bendis was just an amazing.

To me, while JMS' run gave us a daring reinvention of a character which existed for over 40 years and was great at it (still one of my favorite ASM runs to date), Bendis' run gave us the ultimate (pun intended) Spider-Man story. It's basically a 160 issues long love letter to the character.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By amazingfantasy

Tough choice, I think I can't choose. Truly two of the best Spider-Man runs ever...

I think JMS separated arcs/issues are stronger than Bendis', but when you put USM it all together... It all works beautifully. It's basically quality vs quantity. They both wrote their Peter (Teen and Adult) very well, made good use of supporting cast and enemies, amazing art, etc, you name it. I'm gonna focus on their weakness here instead of strength.

But again, I think the strength of USM is the mega-arc thing, but if you take an issue or an arc separately, it doesn't work as well. There are exceptions, there are some awesome USM standalone issues, but I'm talking the rule here not the exception. I also include in this point that in a single JMS issue a lot more happens then in a Bendis issue, which goes by too fast. That is definitely a weakness and as I said, it works better in the arc/trade format. Overall JMS issues/arcs seems more accessible/enjoyable.

Bendis also has the advantage of not having a Sins Past or One More Day on his run, not only two bad stories, but pretty much considered the two worst Spider-Man stories. And while they are not JMS fault (Editorial messing with stuff up lol, Brian kinda got that advantage too but it's nothing writing quality wise soo...) sadly it's still part of his run and will be taken into account by the fans. JMS also has a considerable lack of supporting cast, despite using the ones he actually wrote beautifully. All around, Bendis has the advantage on the overall work I'd say.

Of course post-Ultimatum I think Bendis fell to a level that JMS never did, and let's not even get into Miles Morales stuff. I'm aware that it said only 2000-2009 on the OP buut It's hard to discuss it without addressing it as a whole, especially since we're considering JMS whole run (including things like OMD and Sins Past) here. Anyways, just to say that if you take this stuff and consider it all around, it kinda evens out I'd say.

So yeah but I'm back to the beginning... I just can't choose. They both have their weakness but for me it's quality vs quantity and idk which I prefer.
But all in all, JMS/JRJR and Bendis/Bagley are easily two of the best runs in comics ever for me.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

JMS. I just really liked it better and I really don't like Teen Peter at all.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I didn't mind what they did with USM only up until Peter's death. For me it was just another alternate universe and prefer 616 adult Peter Parker / Spider-Man, even if if I'm not currently supporting the abomination ASM has become.

PoundYourAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JMS was awful.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ursaber

@poundyourass said:

JMS was awful.

For you. Not in general. Even with its editorial interference, it still managed to stand out on solid writing, characterization and the art of John Romita and Mike Deodato.

PoundYourAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well, Ultimate IS of course on a different universe, like come on captain obvious.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
@poundyourass said:

JMS was awful.

For you.

No. In general.

For you. Not in general. Even with its editorial interference, it still managed to stand out on solid writing, characterization and the art of John Romita and Mike Deodato.

MsSelene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MsSelene

Ultimate Spider-Man. It is annoying how often they make Peter a high school student now days, but the only reason they do is because Ultimate Spider-Man was that good.

_Reynard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate Spider-Man by far. It was good from the beginning to the ending. JMS was only decent in the beginning and at his end he was giving us awful stories like Skin Deep, Sins Past, and One More Day.

It was all editorial bullshit.

Rock_Hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy said:

Of course post-Ultimatum I think Bendis fell to a level that JMS never did, and let's not even get into Miles Morales stuff. I'm aware that it said only 2000-2009 on the OP buut It's hard to discuss it without addressing it as a whole, especially since we're considering JMS whole run (including things like OMD and Sins Past) here. Anyways, just to say that if you take this stuff and consider it all around, it kinda evens out I'd say.

I was trying to focus on the 2000's period. Miles Moralas didn't come along until the 2010's.

You say that you think that Bendis was worse than JMS ever was post-Ultimatum on the run with Peter? I didn't see that at all. I thought it was a step down from his earlier work, but it didn't actually seem bad. I actually liked how he paid homage to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends with Iceman and Human Torch, and I felt like the Death of Spider-Man was some of his best writing during the last decade. I have heard bad things about the Miles Moralas runs, but I never read those runs. Death of Spider-Man just seemed like a perfect ending to the Ultimate universe for me, especially since Spider-Man was the only thing that kept me coming back to it post-Ultimatum.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By amazingfantasy

@rock_hard: Yes, and I acknowledged that. And since we're analysing JMS whole work I threw Bendis in there too... Especially given the title that is not "JMS run vs a specific part of Bendis' run". Also seems a bit unfair considering the loss of quality in Bendis' work, but I'll assume you didn't have any bad intentions there.

Everything you said is simply your opinion so I'm not really sure what you expected me to say here. But before anything else, the homage to Amazing Friends was in the Amazing Friends (lol) arc, in which Iceman Spidey and Firestar team-up, not Iceman and Human Torch, that was just a coincidence. Bendis even said so in an interview. And eh, for me, a little easter egg from one of the many cartoons doesn't really win any points.
From what I've seen, seems to be pretty much a general consensus on thinking that post-Ultimatum Bendis work did have a drop in quality (This is not even just a USM thing, there are constant views that Bendis as a whole started doing so on the 2010s). And I'm positive the Lafuente area is easily considered the weakest of the Peter USM era. I just re-read and you said that while it was a step down it didn't seem that way to you, well did JMS have this drop in quality to you? Because I'm positive many people feel and can say the same thing about his run.
And as for my personal opinion I do not disagree, aside from DoSM which as a gem, not a single arc post-Ultimatum stood out to me.

Rock_Hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rock_Hard

@amazingfantasy: I don't think the Miles Moralas stuff counts as the same run since it's a different character.

I was talking about the stuff with Human Torch, not with Human Torch. They all lived together post-Ultimatum. It has been speculated that the team up of the three characters was inspired by the 80's cartoon.
I agree that nothing stood out, with the exception of Death of Spider-Man, but I didn't think it seemed terrible. The reason I tagged you was because you said he fell to a lower point than JMS ever did, and I was curious of which parts of the post-Ultimatum run did you consider to be worse than One More Day and Sins Past.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By amazingfantasy

@rock_hard: Um, I thought it was a typo but It's 'Morales' not Moralas. LOL Well you can do that if you want, and I won't include Miles for the sake of the argument, but don't expect other people to just cause of reasons. But overall, his Miles' work is still very much part of Bendis USM run, it's still considered a volume of it, it's literally a book with the same name, continues the story, the staff seems to consider it so, it's mentioned in trades, interviews, etc you name it. It wouldn't really be wrong to include it. Especially since again, the title of the topic and after reading this post, it seems you want to include Sins Past and OMD on JMS but not this on Bendis. :/

I know, trust me, I've read USM a lot... It's been speculated wrong then. Bendis literally said in an interview that homage to the Amazing Friends was in the arc called Amazing Friends... <.< I mean... And as I said, this thing is just a coincidence. It's not like she didn't exist and he put Torch there as a spiritual replacement. If he wanted to homage that way it he would just put Ult.Firestar instead of Johnny. And again, he literally made an arc about it. <.< But either way, once more, I don't see what's so special about a single little easter egg about one of the numerous spidey cartoons.

Well, the stories were boring, simple as that for me. Didn't have the fun, building the mythos in fun new ways, etc all from the previous run that made it good in the first place. Also, bad art IMO. Positive that Bagley would make these stories more enjoyable or at least tolerable.
Sins Past and OMD were editorial rather than JMS himself... I said that in my post and others users have said so. I won't really blame JMS for this one, so he didn't 'fell' to that level. Also, these are two separated stories in his whole run against a whole era of boring stories... Even if they were on JMS, I'd say overall he was still a competent writer while Bendis pretty much fell and never recovered to classic USM point.
And there's even people who say that Sins Past was good storytelling wise, just the main plot that was so ridiculous that ruins the whole story no matter how well told it is.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy: I don't think the Miles Moralas stuff counts as the same run since it's a different character.

I was talking about the stuff with Human Torch, not with Human Torch. They all lived together post-Ultimatum. It has been speculated that the team up of the three characters was inspired by the 80's cartoon.

I agree that nothing stood out, with the exception of Death of Spider-Man, but I didn't think it seemed terrible. The reason I tagged you was because you said he fell to a lower point than JMS ever did, and I was curious of which parts of the post-Ultimatum run did you consider to be worse than One More Day and Sins Past.

These two stories, especially OMD should not be solely blamed on JMS who did an extraordinary job on ASM with his excellent writing. Sins Past was worse than originally envisioned because editorial interfered, though the story itself should never have been made at all. And OMD was completely Joe Quesada, not JMS.

Loading Video...

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Yeah, sad that poor JMS sometimes get the blame for OMD when it was pretty much just Quesada and JMS himself openly dislikes it. Good thing that overall it is indeed Quesada that seems to get the blame. lol But sadly not as many are aware of Sins Past, which yes despite JMS playing a bigger part on it is not entirely his fault either (and he doesn't seem to consider it so).

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy: Its unfair to JMS, my favorite Spidey writer. He had more hands on Sins Past but even the writing was technically sound for like you said its the story itself and the Gwen sleeps with Norman part that is messed up. He knew from the star that his run was going to be rendered irrelevant but despite disliking OMD the reason he didn't want to be accredited (he didn't want his name listed in the issues) was because his words were changed to a degree that they weren't his own anymore. Another act of disrespect (and ironically a mercy).

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By amazingfantasy

@ursaber: Yeah we can clearly see JMS' hand on Sins Past, which was a 'better' story, storytelling wise. OMD has none of that. And haha, that last sentence... :p But yeah, Marvel did kinda screw him over and I think he has every reason to be unsatisfied, to say the least. Which is a shame because he's likely never coming back, I'd love to see what he'd bring to the table on a 'second' run, even if it was in a sister title. JMS gets mixed opinions from what I hear but his work on Spidey was solid.

SaviorSorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SaviorSorrow

The first 70 issues or so of Ultimate Spider-Man were better than anything that happened in Amazing Spider-Man during the 2000's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

USM used to be my life... Best thing Bendis ever wrote.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Invain

Ultimate Spider-Man was very good in the beginning, but as it went on, I became very annoyed that it never aged Peter. Saying that the events of Ultimates 1 to Ultimatum all happened when Spider-Man was 15 just seems silly. Bendis' writing also became worse as the series went on, but I enjoyed it up to the death of Peter, and dropped the series afterwards.

JMS was also pretty good when he started. He made Spider-Man feel like Spider-Man again, but I didn't care for the second half of his run. I wouldn't put him on the same level as the classic writers.

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do prefer Spider-Man as an adult, but Ultimate Spider-Man was a better run imo.

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate Spider-Man in my opinion. I'm definitely not a fan of a younger Peter Parker but Ultimate Spider-Man was consistently good all around-- even going into Miles Morales the story flowed well and was still high quality work. Despite my appreciation for Miles I would've loved to see Peter Parker actually age more as oppose to being Spider-Man for a little over a year. There was so much potential for Peter in the Ultimate Universe and I feel like Ultimate Spider-Man starring a young adult Peter Parker would've outsold The Amazing Spider-Man.

I do feel like the reason I appreciate Ultimate Spider-Man more though is primarily because Bendis may have had more creative freedom than JMS did. The Ultimate Universe was literally Bendis', as opposed to the 616-Universe.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with JMS. Bendis was given and entire playground to build and toy around in while JMS had to work within a structure built by hundreds of different writers before him. Yes, there are of course bad runs with JMS but there have always been bad runs and future writers would have undone them meanwhile Bendis got to do anything he wanted because he was the first for USM. JMS had a much more difficult job in my opinion. Oh, and before I forget, f**k One More Day.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like both runs very much, but the JMS run for me personally took Spider-Man from being one of my favorite superheroes to my absolute favorite. I liked that Peter was an adult. I liked that he had a better handle one what he was doing and was competent. I liked that Aunt May knew his secret identity and became a much stronger character because of how she dealt with it. I absolutely loved Peter and MJ's relationship and how much it grew before JMS was forced to write One More Day.

I still like Ultimate Spider-Man, but for me the difference is that I slightly blame it for why we get nothing but teenage Peter Parker in High School movies and TV shows these days. The series was a good retelling but the JMS run was a way of moving the character forward, which I'd rather see.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

I like both runs very much, but the JMS run for me personally took Spider-Man from being one of my favorite superheroes to my absolute favorite. I liked that Peter was an adult. I liked that he had a better handle one what he was doing and was competent. I liked that Aunt May knew his secret identity and became a much stronger character because of how she dealt with it. I absolutely loved Peter and MJ's relationship and how much it grew before JMS was forced to write One More Day.

I still like Ultimate Spider-Man, but for me the difference is that I slightly blame it for why we get nothing but teenage Peter Parker in High School movies and TV shows these days. The series was a good retelling but the JMS run was a way of moving the character forward, which I'd rather see.

I like the JMS run precisely because of the points you made about it. Adult Peter, better Aunt May, better MJ, better Peter x MJ, better character development and driven stories.

And I also share your thoughts in the matter of Teen Spider Man. Teen Spidey is featured everywhere outside comics and its tiring. Only times I really liked teen spider man was in the Spectacular cartoon.

O__O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis easily. It seems like even half of the people here saying JMS are essentially saying "Bendis was better but JMS had a harder job." Lmao.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ultimate is much more fun to read. JMS' run is still pretty damn good, though. Both are among my favorite Spidey runs.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to go with Bendis. I'm really not a fan of him as a writer, but I liked that run when I got read it on Marvel Unlimited. There's no way I'm paying so much for talking heads! lol

I didn't read the whole run, but I thought it was clever how he condensed the mythos. Plus his Peter died a hero instead of living long enough to see himself become the villain. I didn't like Bendis' Venom, but besides him, I think I liked every character. I didn't have a problem with the Hulk Goblin either. I prefer the original with everything, so I just enjoyed it for what it was. One thing that really stuck out to me is how Bendis wrote Kitty. I felt really bad for her. Peter has to be with MJ, but poor Kitty.

With JMS, I didn't really like a lot of his run, unfortunately. I wished Aunt May stayed dead in Amazing 400, so while I know a lot of fans like how she was characterized, I didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't like the Spider Totem, Loki (Don't like magic), Doc Ock (Don't like Doc Ock), the 911 tribute, Sins Past,...sorry. It wasn't for me.

BlindingLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With JMS, I didn't really like a lot of his run, unfortunately. I wished Aunt May stayed dead in Amazing 400, so while I know a lot of fans like how she was characterized, I didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't like the Spider Totem, Loki (Don't like magic), Doc Ock (Don't like Doc Ock), the 911 tribute, Sins Past,...sorry. It wasn't for me.

I kind of felt like this, too. I wasn't a fan of May, and while I did like the way JMS wrote a lot of the other characters, I wasn't a fan of a lot of his plots. I think his tie ins and the preludes to Civil War was probably the high point of his run for me. Everything else, from the stuff with Ezekiel to Back in Black, I was not a very big fan of.

Crazyspideyfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I thought Ultimate was a cool series, but I enjoyed this run of ASM much more. Have to stick with my boy 616 Pete.

HowlingWolves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate Spider-Man was a much better read.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The very best Spider-Man runs, though I have to pick Ultimate.

MacDio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate Spiderman.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they were far better Spidey writers than just these two guys....both were really good, but with over 50yrs of stories, it shouldn't just be a battle between these two

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they were far better Spidey writers than just these two guys....both were really good, but with over 50yrs of stories, it shouldn't just be a battle between these two

Well that's the case in this one. The reason they're matched up together is because they began around the same time in the early 2000's and both runs were renown.

BornToLose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JMS was not even that good. He was just good in comparison to what came before him.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#40  Edited By PunyParker

When i started reading Bendis' Spider-Man i was 15 years old, exact same age Peter was in the book, so it's a tough choice for me.
JMS created villians that were actually compelling and interesting, and wrote the best MJ and May i have ever witnessed.....he made Aunt May a likable character.

So yeah, it's extremely tough.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When i started reading Bendis' Spider-Man i was 15 years old, exact same age Peter was in the book, so it's a tough choice for me.

JMS created villians that were actually compelling and interesting, and wrote the best MJ and May i have ever witnessed.....he made Aunt May a likable character.

I think for you its Bendis. In fact he's even at the top of your favorite writers list. It resonates that USM was more impactful.

For me, JMS. His was the Spider Man I read in my youth years.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

@ursaber said:
@Elbarto17 said:

I think for you its Bendis. In fact he's even at the top of your favorite writers list. It resonates that USM was more impactful.

I think they were going side-by-side.
It's just that Ultimate Peter was my age.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
@Elbarto17 said:

I think they were going side-by-side.

It's just that Ultimate Peter was my age.

And that's why it stands out for you.

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Combo-Man

These are the two most critically acclaimed Spider-Man runs of the 2000's? .........................That's just so sad.

No Caption Provided

FFS91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FFS91

I'm going with JMS. Not a big fan of Ultimate Marvel.

@crazyspideyfan said:

I thought Ultimate was a cool series, but I enjoyed this run of ASM much more. Have to stick with my boy 616 Pete.

@ursaber said:

FFS91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Combo-Man

@ffs91: Yeah, they were both actually okay, nothing great but okay.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vishop_

Bendis. I am not a big fan of his run but JMS did arguably the worst retcon to Peter. It was unforgivable.

FFS91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FFS91
Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers