Annie May or Mayday Parker?

Kojax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Kojax

Poll Annie May or Mayday Parker? (16 votes)

May "Mayday" Parker 81%
Annie May Parker 19%

Just what the title says. Which of his daughters do you prefer?

Annie May Parker from Renew Your Vows.

or

May "Mayday" Parker from MC2

• 
ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ItsaWorld
No Caption Provided

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I do like Mayday. I really do. But I have this distaste for teenager offsprings that make my favorite characters look older by comparison.

I like the kid stage much better and I was endeared to Annie the first time I saw her in RYV and still adore her very much under Conway's pen. She is also the spider daughter with the most chances of getting into Earth 616 once OMD is finally retconned.

The choice is also a little one sided as Spider Girl is Marvel's longest running female heroine with over 12 years of history whereas Annie was first conceived in Secret Wars and then late last year in the new volume of RYV. Still I prefer Annie. I like Peter and MJ as young parents rather than semi retired middle age people.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mayday all day, any day.
Annie is a great character with lots of potential, but still has long ways to go to compete with her big sister, both in and out of universe.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Annie's still got several issues to go before I'm totally sold on her...don't get me wrong, she's quirky, lively, and interesting, but she does come off as a tad annoying sometimes...but then most children that age tend to have that effect on me. I got into Mayday when I was in my 20s, so I know what teenagers are like, and I love the notion of Peter and MJ having grown old together.

Bumpaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mayday has always been my girl. Even when she's not being published anymore.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This contest is understandable but at the same time very one-sided.

Mayday is Marvel's longest running female superhero comic and has an abundance of history going for 12 years.

Annie has only appeared in a total of 9 issues counting the old RYV secret wars tie in. Her first five issues were written by Slott which is a taint.

In short, seeing as how these are the two most prominent daughters of Spider Man I can obviously see the need to compare them. But its all one sided either way. Though I'd probably be in the same line of thought as you if I'd read Spider Girl much earlier.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By amazingfantasy

@bumpaddle: @zariusii: You guys are cool.

@ursaber: Yup, pretty much what you said. It is very one sided but of course there's the inevitable comparison because of both being the most prominent daughters of Peter as you said. But yeah, It's no contest. (Although Annie is doing well in the poll!)

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy:

With my aid I might add.

I wonder who the other two voters of Annie are and why they haven't posted.

QuilSniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mayday through and through. She was the comic I read most frequently during my formative years besides ASM, and maybe part of me is biased, given that I just wanted Peter and MJ to be happy for once. I get that RYV is kind of doing the same thing, but I grew up on Mayday's stories and Annie still has a ways to go and grow to even come close to the level of development that Mayday has, so cognitive bias on my part.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quilsniv:

That's because this is one sided. Understandable to compare the two most prominent versions of the spider daughter but Annie only has 9 issues and 5 of them were written by Slott whereas Mayday had 12 long years, the longest running Marvel heroine, Tom DeFalco writing and it came first.

Actually I'm curious. If you liked Mayday more why didn't you use her instead of Annie in FNSM?, not that I'm complaining.

Unlike most of you I wasn't introduced to Spider Girl as early as you did. I was eleven when OMD came out and I was a die hard Spider Man fan, never even touching other comics. I got into Spider Man because of the 90's animated series and the following Spider Man trilogy. 2007 was a killer for me as in it was a terrible year, Spider Man 3 AND OMD. Forever scarred.

Now I'm reading RYV, newspaper your FNSM, the classic X-Men run from the 60's and I'm getting into Spider Girl, slowly but steadily.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By infantfinite128

Mayday! I much prefer the status quo for Spider-Girl to Renew Your Vows as well. At least, so far!

QuilSniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@quilsniv:

That's because this is one sided. Understandable to compare the two most prominent versions of the spider daughter but Annie only has 9 issues and 5 of them were written by Slott whereas Mayday had 12 long years, the longest running Marvel heroine, Tom DeFalco writing and it came first.

Actually I'm curious. If you liked Mayday more why didn't you use her instead of Annie in FNSM?, not that I'm complaining.

Unlike most of you I wasn't introduced to Spider Girl as early as you did. I was eleven when OMD came out and I was a die hard Spider Man fan, never even touching other comics. I got into Spider Man because of the 90's animated series and the following Spider Man trilogy. 2007 was a killer for me as in it was a terrible year, Spider Man 3 AND OMD. Forever scarred.

Now I'm reading RYV, newspaper your FNSM, the classic X-Men run from the 60's and I'm getting into Spider Girl, slowly but steadily.

Mostly, it a compromise between @animehunter and myself on an editorial level, but it was also more convenient for us to use Annie.

When I first drafted FNSM and pitched it, Mayday was the baby. But then part of me realized that Mayday, in order to fit within the continuity that Anime and I whipped up, the timeline split would have to be during the Clone Saga, one of the most continuity-flubbed arcs in Spider-Man history. Plus, Tom DeFalco already had his run with Mayday, and this was when I was at my most frustrated point with Slott; at that point, I was mainly focused on fixing what he alone wrote, since that was when Power Play had just come out. We considered making a completely new Spider-daughter for Peter and MJ, but also decided that it could be anybody so long as it wasn't Mayday, and we ran with Annie.

It's sort of like how we originally titled the series to be Peter Parker: Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but cut it down to the title you're reading now. Things just kind of get tossed around in the editorial process, including the Spider-daughter.

JarlBallin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mayday

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quilsniv said:

It's sort of like how we originally titled the series to be Peter Parker: Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but cut it down to the title you're reading now. Things just kind of get tossed around in the editorial process, including the Spider-daughter.

Thank you for cutting the title short. FNSM along with Peter Parker would have been a mouthful, similar to the new upcoming Spectacular. Other suggestions for your series could've been Magnificent, Marvelous, Astounding, etc. But Friendly Neighborhood evokes a more friendly feel. Personally I really like Sensational, it feels good to say that word.

I've always thought that Peter and MJ's daughter should be named Anna May Parker, a tribute to both Peter and MJ's aunts and favorite relatives/mother figures. Annie would be an obvious nickname to use considering Anna BUT she can technically also use Mayday because of her second name and if she gets into much trouble. But Mayday Parker herself has crafted a singular and unmistakable identity so Mayday will forever belong to the Spider Girl of the MC2.

Thing is I don't much like teenagers. I'm the kind of guy who likes the father-daughter relationship the most. The protective father who scares away any suitors for his beloved "daddy's girl" is something very endearing to me and that's why I prefer Annie, Valeria Richards etc. In most of the stories I right most of my protagonists have daughters with a few exceptions when they have twins and one is a boy.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a huge fan of Mayday but I have some stronger interest in Annie currently. Perhaps its because Mayday Spider-Girl series has ended that makes this so, but then again...could be something more.

I always have an interest in child characters. They are incredibly complex characters to write for. Make them too emotional and they come off whiny, make them speak too normal and they'll seem to be older than they are, make them too witty and they will seem more like child geniuses. You have to be on your toes to ensure you balance all traits of a kid. This is probably why Defalco decided to make Mayday be a teenager instead of a child. Kids are so hard to write for.

Thus, even during the Slott run on RYV, when I saw the page with Annie on the ceiling, I was moved. I was really excited. This is what spiderfans want. They want Peter with a family and we want to see how his family grows. It's fun to see a kid character gain powers and learn about them, yet its hard to do.

Conway has shown he can do this, and the world is filled with so many possibilities. What also entices me to Annie is the fact that this world takes place in the present. Peter isn't older or has retired from being spiderman. This is still 2017 but he has a kid with him. We get this chance to see a larger father daughter relationship happen with them than in Spider-Girl. It's going to be like the Superman and SuperSons comics that are coming out. A father teaching their child about their legacy and the powers they inherit from them.

Still, it's in my opinion that Mayday and Annie are one in the same. The only difference is WHEN they were born. She wouldn't be born after Clone saga since Peter would far older. Everyone is kinda confirmed to be the same age as the 616, as we know Normie of both universes are the same age. So everything is kinda the same, the only thing that has changed would be when MJ was pregnant and the outcome of it. We have yet to fully know about Annie's birth but we will learn more as Conway develops the world.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld:

Very well said about child characters. Aside from finding them more endearing they are also complex and interesting. The developmental process of a child Annie's age, what she learns and absorbs and how Peter and MJ raise her is something very important and dareisay a beautiful moment/period. Power and responsibility and all that. Its also a really emotional period because they see their daughter growing up before their eyes and that's always tearjerking.

I was also hooked when I saw Annie attached to the ceiling. It was something I got taken with and it was moving. We've never had this situation of a young kid with powers since birth. If she was born with powers, even if inherited from Peter, wouldn't that make her a mutant, kinda like Franklin Richards?

While writing children is very difficult, there are many writers in the comic book industry who have children and families of their own. Something that needs to be handled well above all things to write for children is to know how they behave at their ages and having kids, raising them and instructing them gives a writer an advantage in this department.

I actually don't think that Annie and Mayday are the same. Both Mayday and Annie differ in many physical traits. Annie is an unmistakable redhead and takes after her mother significantly. Her physique is MJ's but her powers are from Peter. Mayday on the other hand has brown hair and light eyes and takes more after her father in almost every way. What I see of MJ in Mayday aside from her sex is that her hair looks like MJ's and it has a reddish hue reminiscent of MJ. Her physical appearance is also reminiscent of MJ but you can see that its more a combination of physical traits of both Peter and MJ.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Annie's annoying, May all the way, any day.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Annie's annoying, May all the way, any day.

Understandable and one sided. Mayday is Marvel's longest running heroine with over 12 years active to perfect her character and make her super likable. Annie has only been featured in 9 issues and 5 of those were written by Slott. Annie is still underdeveloped and new but under Conway's pen she'll become an endearing and memorable character.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Waffle

@ursaber: When she grows up, sure, but it's way too early to jump on the Annie bandwagon rn and you're right, the Slott issues don't help either.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: When she grows up, sure, but it's way too early to jump on the Annie bandwagon rn and you're right, the Slott issues don't help either.

I'm already on the bandwagon. I like kids better than teenagers, not that Mayday wasn't likable because she is but, when I read Spider Man I've always put myself in Peter's place like I myself am Peter and of the two family possibilities I prefer RYV because it still has Spider Man active, he's still in his mid thirties given how Annie was born two years into the marriage and its an all around better scenario of my preference.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
@the_waffle said:

I'm already on the bandwagon. I like kids better than teenagers, not that Mayday wasn't likable because she is but, when I read Spider Man I've always put myself in Peter's place like I myself am Peter and of the two family possibilities I prefer RYV because it still has Spider Man active, he's still in his mid thirties given how Annie was born two years into the marriage and its an all around better scenario of my preference.

Yeah, fair enough, I liked when Peter came back as Spider-Man every now and then in Spider-Girl, it felt like a big deal and was cool to see.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
@the_waffle said:

Yeah, fair enough, I liked when Peter came back as Spider-Man every now and then in Spider-Girl, it felt like a big deal and was cool to see.

I heard the first time he put on the suit again in the MC2 that when he went to Avengers Mansion, he had a great reception with all the young heroes staring in awe at the legendary Spider Man!

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
@the_waffle said:
@ursaber said:
@the_waffle said:

I heard the first time he put on the suit again in the MC2 that when he went to Avengers Mansion, he had a great reception with all the young heroes staring in awe at the legendary Spider Man!

That was awesome to see, yeah :)

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ursaber
No Caption Provided