gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

The first issue delivered great battles and moments between the 616 universe and the Ultimate one. Despite the fight for survival, the outcome was inevitable as the incursion hit and we were left with a bit of a cliffhanger. Now, rather than continue the series (as a feared) with more battle after battle, we start to see the story fleshed out in a different direction. With the introduction of Battleworld, we're seeing it's time for a whole new game.

Jonathan Hickman could have taken the easy route with the set up of Battleworld. The idea seemed like it would just be a bunch of different timelines or versions of characters slapped together. Hickman gives it much more depth than that. He truly creates a world and sets up the 'god' that oversees it all. You get an immediate sense of history rather than the idea of this being something created moments ago. We do see several familiar faces but Hickman makes it something different. He takes full advantage of the opportunity to make some changes with the characters. The little glimpses we get makes you want to see more.

Once again we are treated to the gorgeous art by Esad Ribic and colors by Ive Svorcina. The visuals are a great mix of the familiar characters combined with the new themes Hickman is laying out. Even with the oversized issue, you'll feel yourself pulled in deeper hoping your visit to this comic book world can last even longer.

The Bad

There is a slight, "What's going on?" feeling at the beginning. Obviously something has happened between last issue and now. As the story moves forward and we see 'God Emperor Doom,' it starts to become clearer. This is something that will likely be further explored in coming issues.

The Verdict

There's so much to see here. It's not just hero fighting hero. The other areas of Battleworld are being set up but there's a deep story going on here as well. Hickman, like the 'god' character we see here is creating a fascinating story with the idea of Battleworld and how each area relates to one another. The more you see, the more you want to see. Hickman makes it hard not to be excited. Esad Ribic's art and Ive Svorcina's colors gives this a great vibe. If you are craving more big fights, it looks like you'll be getting some of that as well as Hickman continues to set the stage for big things.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

First issue was great, can't wait to pick this up.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maddpanda531

So excited to read this.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All Hail Doom!!! It was a great issue. This is going to surpass Infinity Gauntlet and Civil War, and if it keeps going like this it might knock COIE off the top.

tx12100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We'll See What Issue 2 has in store for us.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Really enjoyed the issue and the start to this event. It definitely makes me want to see more and delve into the different realms of Battleworld. Tgat ending was fantastic and it'll be really interesting to see how it impacts the story.

acekalama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hickman does love Doom! now I know what's Battleworld is about

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God Doom... Everything we need now is Bat-God.

Aurelian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a great issue.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sasquatch888

I just read it ,,,,the artwork was amazing the story was interesting ,,,another alternate reality type story familar heroes in a slightly unfamiliar way like house of m or age of apocolypse where a villian rules and the world is carved up controlled buy difderent factions but obviously on a greater scale ,,,,like wolverine in house of m was aware of the change here you have a few heroes and villians that escaped the old reality and while others are new incarnations of familiar heroes ,,,nothing mindblowing in my opinion but has potential If you are a longtime comic reader you seen it all before ,its a remix of the same

kubj31196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you play the game of worlds, you live or everything dies!!

Loading Video...
ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Read quite a few reviews of this and really want to jump on board with this event but there is no way I can fit this in my budget, so will have to wait to pick it up later, glad it seems to be going well hope the whole series ends up being great

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

I honestly don't know what the **** is going on. Can anybody please explain this to me?

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Can't afford it either. Besides hero fighting hero is standard for marvel. It's pretty much all they've done for years now.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

Can't afford it either. Besides hero fighting hero is standard for marvel. It's pretty much all they've done for years now.

From the review:

There's so much to see here. It's not just hero fighting hero.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
Diannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing left me curious about this issue: How much time has lapsed between #1 and #2? Everyone seemed just a little too comfortable in this reality for it to be "24 hours later", or even "several weeks later". It felt like at least several months later.

Overall, there are still too many loose ends for me to "love" the story so far. I would call it interesting, but forget rating it with stars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

@rocketraccoonthingy: I can, but you aren't going to like it. See, Disney has already run out of new ideas for how to make any money off of the Marvel characters in comics, but if they can tie the comics into the movies more clearly for toddlers and hipsters, they can sell t-shirts and movie tickets and market shares. So, IN Marvel, the writers, editors, artists fall into two camps: 1) "We're selling out because we want Disney $," or 2) "We are artists and are upset about this bull... hockey." In both camps, the bullpen has given up on trying to make sense and are just trying to muddle through this crap into their brave new crappy world of mediocrity and Mickey Mouse ice cream cones.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kubj31196:

No Caption Provided

@diannah: All we know is that some time has passed since the last incursion. Ultimate Reed mentioned to the Cabal that they had been in stasis.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sinikettu

@diannah: I was wondering the same thing...

"Umm, err, ahh, Did I miss an issue somewhere along the line?" and then I glossed it over and kept enjoying myself with what I was reading.

I think these 3 first issues will set the tone of the story and work as a 'tour de realms' and the remaining issues of SW are likely to hold the actual "meat" and deal with the consequences and spill-out from the other SW-titles.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adamTRMM

Game of Marvels. Or should it be closer to the original, A Song of Discovery and Doom? A Song of Secrets and Wars?

Seriously though, this issue was very strong. Much better than previous.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheTrollDance

I guess it's a fine issue as far as set-up issues go, but it's a part of the event so I expected things to, well, actually happen. The only plot development we had was in the first page and the last couple of pages, also no Beyonders so far but I still have hope that they will be the main focus of this event and it won't be an Age of Ultron case. As @diannah mentioned, there are too many open questions as of now and the transition from the end of issue 1 to the beginning of this issue felt a little awkward, I know that Hickman is going to address that as we get further into Secret Wars but I don't like this kind of "let's jump forward in time to give the story a mysterious vibe" thing.

Edit: Forgot to mention that so many things were copied/borrowed from/paid homage to (pick whatever works for you) Game of Thrones it isn't even funny.

I'd have given this issue a 7/10

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All hope lies in Doom.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@neghead said:

@rocketraccoonthingy: I can, but you aren't going to like it. See, Disney has already run out of new ideas for how to make any money off of the Marvel characters in comics, but if they can tie the comics into the movies more clearly for toddlers and hipsters, they can sell t-shirts and movie tickets and market shares. So, IN Marvel, the writers, editors, artists fall into two camps: 1) "We're selling out because we want Disney $," or 2) "We are artists and are upset about this bull... hockey." In both camps, the bullpen has given up on trying to make sense and are just trying to muddle through this crap into their brave new crappy world of mediocrity and Mickey Mouse ice cream cones.

Disney? What do they have to do with this? Do they like own Marvel or something?

Oh and thanks for the heads up. I also agree in everything that you said back there. :-D

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Crimz

I wonder if that is 616 Sue and Future Foundation, saved from the ark that was destroyed? I love that she is the Queen of Battleworld with Doom as the King/God. This will be a fun story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney? What do they have to do with this? Do they like own Marvel or something?

Disney bought Marvel in 2009. I'm not sure how you missed that.

ia0delond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EarthsMightiest

Hickman must be Dune fan, the way he set up the domains and Barons reminds me of the Landsraad (the "Great Houses"). Even at the end when Thanos was questioning the Mole Person the character said that Doom had created Battleworld to test the faithful in Dune the Freman have a saying "God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

Is Dooms Throne the World Tree?

No Caption Provided

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Great f@$king issue. I hate to admit this but it's way better than convergence.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That ending was soooooo GOOOOOOOOD!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@illmatic4177: Hmmm. Thanks! ...And then there's this guy.=new working title of my auto-biography

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was fantastic and the art of Ribic was amazing.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

This looks like a pretty fun story, the second issue did a great job setting up Battleworld, but now I'm really curious as to how this story is going to end. I can't see how things can just go back to normal after this, and with EVERY Marvel Universe literally mashed together into one over-sized world, I can see Marvel using this as their "Flashpoint" and when things revert back to "normal" things and character will be similar, but different... opening the door for Marvel to pave the way for a whole new Marvel Universe where they can start from scratch.

Avatar image for drunknleprechan
drunknleprechan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What/who was it the Future Foundation kids were standing on early in the issue after crossing through the portal to investigate the ship? They were clearly standing on a hand and at one point I thought it might be the remains of Galactus but since he was present later I guess it was something/someone else.

grinderkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM'S DAY IS NOW!!!

Ladyonora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great review

I read the issue first and I was kinda like "what the F am I missing" but then I read the review and everything is clearer. The setup is great and Hickman really paints a great picture of what this new universe is going to be all about, but leaves a lot to ponder which just leaves me excited.

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just when Doom was settled in as god, the cabal arrives.

Love it! And love this series :)

iSummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ultimate reed is back!fraklin with galactus pet?doom is good father

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God I love Hickman. If he can contiune this quality for the remainder of the series his Avengers run is easily going to be up there with the best.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to reading this tonighf or tommorrow.

Viking_Funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started to really like it by the end, but you're right about the opening just throwing you in the deep end. I'm glad they went with a 'show and don't tell' approach, and I suspect the hard transition is being used to show just how massive a finally the last issue is, and how different things currently are. It's a bold style, and it kinda worked.

@diannah: As far as I can tell, Doom was there at the beginning of time when all the universes collapsed, and he created a new universe. I could be wrong, but this place isn't new. Interestingly, the carbon dating of the Raft they found actually makes the Raft older than creation in this universe.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soo Doom Created his Game of Thrones fanfiction world as Battleworld. This should be interestin O.o

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fricking amazing. can't wait for next issue, I'm assuming we'll see what happened to the other raft

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@g_man: Yea, I got that part, but no matter how much more there is I can't afford it and at the core there is still hero fighting hero.