gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

At first it might seem a little odd that S.H.I.E.L.D. might try to infiltrate a high school. They’re a government agency and wouldn’t they have bigger things to do and worry about? The more you think about it, it makes sense. In the Marvel, superpowers and deadly threats are almost everywhere. If a suspected dangerous situation arouse, even in a school, it makes sense to send in qualified people to investigate.

That’s where the idea of a S.H.I.E.L.D. comic could work. Someone needs to investigate and police dangerous situations. Local authorities won’t necessarily be suitable for the possible dangers that could erupt. In the old days, a S.H.I.E.L.D. comic may have had a more spy/cold war feel to it. Those days are behind us. We could still have stealth and subterfuge missions. I'd be curious to see how S.H.I.E.L.D. might go about investigating different areas and developments. We've seen some of this in SECRET AVENGERS and this could open up different areas of the Marvel Universe. Having Mark Waid write/lead these investigation would be great to see.

Where this issue differs from the first is the action is scaled back a little. As fantastic as it was to see all the characters involved in the battle last issue, here, we get more of a focus on Coulson and (new to the Marvel Universe but familiar to TV viewers) Jemma Simmons. We need to get to know the "new" characters if we're to grow attached to them. Also, rather than cram in a deluge of Marvel superheroes, we get to see Ms. Marvel get some time in the spotlight. It’s a great way to give her a firmer place in the Marvel Universe. We’ve seen her interact with the likes of Wolverine and Spider-Man in the past and now we have S.H.I.E.L.D. acknowledging what she’s capable of.

Humberto Ramos' art captures the big action as well as the high school setting. There's a nice mix between the calm moments and when the chaos is unleashed. His style really works with Ms. Marvel as well.

The Bad

This comic will have a different mission in each issue. That makes it great for people to jump right in but also means things will, most likely, be tied up neatly within the same issue. That isn't necessarily a overly bad thing but hopefully we'll see some thread carry across issues in the background. With the conversation Jemma has in the intro, perhaps we're already seeing that. The adventure we get here is a fun one. There's just the question of will this impact future events in the series? Will we see Ms. Marvel again?

I really dig Humberto Ramos' art but there are a couple moments some scenes feel a tiny bit over exaggerated.

As a former high school teacher, I was distracted by some little things like S.H.I.E.L.D. inserting an undercover agent into the substitute teacher system. They are the government and could pull strings but I would question how the school would feel about armed agents being on the school campus and what parent reaction would be after they found out. All that fun school politics stuff. Also, are we really to believe a school cafeteria would actually make FRESH pizza from scratch?

I'm still unsure how this series fits in with Coulson's depiction in SECRET AVENGERS.

The Verdict

Mark Waid's second issue of S.H.I.E.L.D. is here and there is an interesting change in formula and feel from the first issue. This type of mixed up variation could keep readers on their toes and keep them engage. The first issue had some pretty big action while this issue tones its focus down a little to Agents Coulson and Simmons along with just one superhero, Ms. Marvel. Having this change shows the type of variation we could expect and we won't have to worry about the book following a strict pattern. On the other hand, having the story nicely wrapped up within the issue could be a deterrent to others. Humberto Ramos' art works well with the action scenes and in showcasing Ms. Marvel's abilities. If you're looking for a different view of the Marvel Universe, this book is the answer. We're seeing a good integration of the Cinematic Universe characters and expecting the unexpected gives me something to look forward to.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By Cap10nate

I liked this issue.

I loved the references that were put in there. Jemma using the name Ms. Steranko and Coulson saying that he used to sell Grit magazine to make money. I have been reading through the entire run of the Fantastic Four, and all the old ones have advertisements in them trying to get boys to sell Grit for extra money. Looking through the ads and fan letters are almost as good as reading the stories themselves.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: I agree. I was hesitant to mention parts were "fun" since some people seem to not like that in their comics.

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By iDude

@g_man: The comic is $3.99, right? The $4.99 was just a mistake?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@g_man: Everybody likes fun. It's just very subjective of what "fun" actually is.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jonny_anonymous: Apparently to some if a comic is not 100% dark and gritty, and actually contains a few laughs and have a balance, it is "For Kids" lol.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@illmatic4177: Not necessarily true, some people just like more serious comics.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I like serious comics, I also like funny comics. I really like comics that can do both. I never understood only liking one kind. Vertigo titles are great, but so is Deadpool lol.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious, is there going to be a different artist on each issue?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla: That's the plan so far. The original solicit said:

a rotating crew of mission-specific top flight Marvel artists make you one promise: Every issue: Twenty pages. One mission. Unlimited budget. Unlimited imagination. Six periods.

But maybe if they decide to make a 'mission' longer than one issue, the artist will do more than one. I'm curious what others think about the rotating artist angle.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

Avatar image for moonknightrunner
MoonKnightRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the relationship between Ms.Marvel and Cheese :D I hope there's more of this in her series!

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

usually im not much of a sucker, but i saw ms marvel on the cover and bought it for that reason alone. Haven't brought myself to read it yet tho, maybe tonight