#100401 Posted by Sequitur_Crix (150 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso: U should join me in the rap thread tomorrow

#100402 Posted by Hawkshade (4947 posts) - - Show Bio

As for the Sith, I just prefer their ideology over the Jedi's.

All The Empire Did Nothing Wrong memes aside I would be a Sith instead of a Jedi as well. The Jedi are an ideal, something to strive for but they're an impossible goal for most people including me. I would fail as a Jedi. But I could succeed as a Sith.

#100403 Posted by ParagonxXx (3998 posts) - - Show Bio

Jedi all the way for me.

#100404 Edited by Sequitur_Crix (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Jedi, Sith

I'm jus in it for myself
I'm jus in it for myself
#100405 Posted by Jungala (698 posts) - - Show Bio

@sequitur_crix: I'm still disappointed that film didn't do well. I liked it.

#100406 Posted by Tessa_Callahan (1665 posts) - - Show Bio

Grey Jedi.

#100407 Posted by ParagonxXx (3998 posts) - - Show Bio
#100408 Edited by Grimmwald (3329 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade said:
@grimmwald said:

All The Empire Did Nothing Wrong memes aside I would be a Sith instead of a Jedi as well. The Jedi are an ideal, something to strive for but they're an impossible goal for most people including me. I would fail as a Jedi. But I could succeed as a Sith.

My thoughts exactly. The Sith philosophy of personal empowerment, of using passion as a driving force to achieve greatness, that resonates with me a lot more than the Jedi philosophy of rejecting attachment, never confronting one's emotions, and contentment/lack of ambition. The Sith's ideological focus on survival, being decisive and taking the initiative is something I value. Their values of confronting one's emotions are also values I embrace. You can better understand the emotions of others once you understand your own. And once you can better understand the emotions of others, you can perceive their motivations and make better judgments to succeed in whatever social environment you find yourself in. And shit, I won't lie, dominance, ambition and the pursuit of personal power are appealing to me on a primal level, LOL.

#100409 Posted by Animus_ (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of these team ups in BF2 can be so dissapointing. Like I am NICE at this game, but I will get matched with terrible or stupid players as teammates. I thought they paired people in games like this with people of equal stats?

#100410 Posted by Hawkshade (4947 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade said:
@grimmwald said:

My thoughts exactly. The Sith philosophy of personal empowerment, of using passion as a driving force to achieve greatness, that resonates with me a lot more than the Jedi philosophy of rejecting attachment, never confronting one's emotions, and contentment/lack of ambition. The Sith's ideological focus on survival, being decisive and taking the initiative is something I value. Their values of confronting one's emotions are also values I embrace. You can better understand the emotions of others once you understand your own. And once you can better understand the emotions of others, you can perceive their motivations and make better judgments to succeed in whatever social environment you find yourself in. And shit, I won't lie, dominance, ambition and the pursuit of personal power are appealing to me on a primal level, LOL.

Yep. The Jedi remove themselves from the dominance hierarchy and embrace the tyranny of compassion. In modern parlance they are 'cucks.'

We know what traits are most likely to make a person socially, romantically and financially successful but we created a generation of heroes that rejected those traits and raised children to idolize them. Today the badguys are more popular because the badguys are usually right about how to be a human being even if they are wrong in their ultimate goals. We really sabotaged our own children and as much as I love the Star Wars mythology and enjoy the Jedi on a creative level the Jedi were a part of that cultural sabotage.

#100411 Posted by Rosso (5404 posts) - - Show Bio
#100412 Posted by Sequitur_Crix (150 posts) - - Show Bio
#100413 Posted by Jungala (698 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade said:
@grimmwald said:

Their real sin is convincing everyone you need Jedi training to do this, when bourbon works just fine.

#100414 Posted by Sequitur_Crix (150 posts) - - Show Bio
#100415 Posted by Grimmwald (3329 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade: What's also interesting is that the writers for a lot of the series', books etc. where the antagonists have some kind of legitimate point usually end up trying cover up the ethical nuances they gave their antagonists by resorting to bad writing. One of the easiest examples I can think of are Amon (to a certain extent. He was a charlatan but he raised some real points about the inequality between benders and non-benders) and Kuvira in Avatar: The Legend of Korra. Of course they're the antagonists and the plot requires them to lose, but Kuvira was successful in every meaningful way that the heroes should have been, including essentially doing their jobs for them in stabilizing a bandit-ridden kingdom torn apart by the power vacuum Zaheer created when he killed the Earth Queen. She had her morally ambiguous moments, even a few morally questionable ones, but she understood the greater need that the Earth Kingdom had.

#100416 Posted by Grimmwald (3329 posts) - - Show Bio

@jungala: LMAO. That'd actually be a pretty cool IC quote.

#100417 Posted by Jungala (698 posts) - - Show Bio

@grimmwald: Probably something Cosmosis would say.

#100418 Posted by Hawkshade (4947 posts) - - Show Bio

@grimmwald: That is an interesting trend in modern genre fiction; the heroes tend to be defending a small group or minor section of society against actions that the villain took to benefit all of society. The villains also have a tendency to use the most effective methods to reach their goals, while the heroes often reject those methods out of morality.

#100419 Posted by Hawkshade (4947 posts) - - Show Bio

@jungala said:
@grimmwald said:
@hawkshade said:
@grimmwald said:

Their real sin is convincing everyone you need Jedi training to do this, when bourbon works just fine.

Yeah maybe if your philosophy imitates the effects of a chemical depressant, there is a problem lol.

#100420 Edited by ParagonxXx (3998 posts) - - Show Bio

When people think that villains actually perform actions that "benefit" society or a certain villainous group actually does anything remotely "good" when they don't, when villains carefully manipulate, lie, cheat and kill their way to achieving their goals to "benefit" society and people praise them for doing what is "right" or doing what is best for society, the writers behind those stories have obviously failed the audience in more ways than one since it should be obvious what the intent is, but that intent has failed if the villains are thought of as anything other than being VILLAINS. When the good guys are thought of as the true villains of the story simply by their moral system or what they fail to do, that the villain is perceived as doing "better", the writers have obviously failed the audience. When the audience cannot tell the difference between a hero and a villain, the writer has failed. When the audience believes a villain is better at "being human" when they kill innocent people, lie, cheat, rape, murder and steal while the hero is thought of as a lousy role model, the writer has failed their audience. When heroes are accused of cultural sabotage, when it's the villains doing it, the writers have failed their audience. When murderous psychos like the Punisher is thought of as morally superior to the likes of Daredevil, when he's the furthest from being morally superior, the writer has failed the audience. When the villains are praised more than the heroes themselves, the writers have failed their audience. When villains perform actions that are lying, cheating, stealing, raping, murdering, or any number of bad deeds, in order to "benefit" society as a whole and he's praised for doing a better job than the hero, the writer has failed the audience and the audience has completely failed to SEE THE OBVIOUS.

Things need to change. I mean...wow. The writers really, really, need to work on erasing these misconceptions. BADLY.

Okay, rant over. I think it's best that I stay away from Writing Confessions for a while. I don't want to be tempted to correct these misconceptions that are flying around.

#100421 Posted by Shield-Maiden (2060 posts) - - Show Bio

Very productive day, Staff Sergeant made sure of that.

Avatar image for emperor_von_doom
#100423 Posted by Emperor_von_Doom (3995 posts) - - Show Bio

I think... I think I'm going to retcon a lot of things with the Symaarians.

That whole blog might just sit there forever. Gonna limit them to one planet.

#100424 Posted by Sequitur_Crix (150 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonxxx: You shouldnt be taking it personally. SW does have some interesting layers when you really get into it. Alternate perspectives can be jarring but also educational.

#100425 Edited by Grimmwald (3329 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonxxx: When a villain (really the antagonist because they're not the same thing) is actually written as more beneficial to society than a hero, either the writer intended to introduce ethical nuance to the narrative by complicating the traditional black and white dichotomy of good and evil to force the audience to reflect on their own ethical standards, or the writer didn't intend to do so but ended up doing so anyway (albeit unintentionally) because they tackled an issue they weren't well informed enough to tackle. A typical example of this is Avatar: The Legend of Korra. The writers clearly intended to tackle more mature themes but were not well informed enough on the issues they were trying to tackle as writers. As a result, they wrote several antagonists that raised issues that were never addressed nor resolved by the protagonist(s).

Especially in Kuvira's case. She was beneficial to the Earth Kingdom, however morally questionable her means could become. She did everything Korra was supposed to do as the Avatar with respect to the Earth Kingdom, and she addressed long lingering political issues caused by the incompetence and decisions of past governments. And while Amon was a charlatan, he did raise the ethical issue of non-bender inequality, however radical his methods were. He was more in touch with the sociopolitical climate of the world than any of the protagonists/heroes were, he understood them better. So much so that the writers backed themselves into a corner with him and were forced to completely ignore all those issues by having Korra never address those within the narrative.

#100426 Posted by Rosso (5404 posts) - - Show Bio

Little Zauby would be awed by the Jedi and wanna do anything and everything to be like them. This ideal of perfect people...that easily shatters as I got older and learned about the world.

I'd be Sith as well. Similar to reasons LL and Impero stated, I could never succeed as a Jedi, but I could be great Sith. Plus I've adopted some kinds of theories about the Force and its true nature, and I mean well but I know I've got pride, and I know I'd feel like I was that one person who could tame it better than the rest.

#100427 Edited by ParagonxXx (3998 posts) - - Show Bio

@sequitur_crix: I'm not taking it personally, I just strongly disagree with this misconception that is going around. Someone who believes differently had to say something and I didn't see anyone else attempting to take the heroes side in this whole thing.

#100428 Posted by Hawkshade (4947 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonxxx: I hope the conversation doesn't upset you. I find it intellectually interesting and I'm open to considering things from many different angles. Feel free to argue against me and my positions, anytime, I enjoy it :-)

#100429 Posted by Jungala (698 posts) - - Show Bio

Pfft. Smuggler all the way. Outlaw with a heart of gold and a liver of durasteel.

#100430 Posted by Rosso (5404 posts) - - Show Bio

@jungala: You can be a Sith and all of those things.

#100431 Posted by Animus_ (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Yall ever wonder what actual basic speak in Star Wars actually sounds like? It's not actually English right so what does it sound like untranslated?

#100432 Posted by Emperor_von_Doom (3995 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm. Maybe it's not worth it in the long run. I'll save it, I suppose. Then delete all evidence of an 'Imperium'. Seems the best thing to do.

#100433 Posted by Rosso (5404 posts) - - Show Bio

@animus_: I mean...it could be. Maybe not "English" in name, but like...like how they still have "humans" being called humans in official lore sources and everything, maybe the same language happened to develop. [I know, "lack of creativity," right?]

Although I see what you mean and it could be considered that. Like how DnD works. Of course you play the game in whatever language you speak in [and for me/us it happens to be largely English], and that language is called "common," then you have other languages like Infernal, Abyssal, Undercommon, etc. And a lot of DMs will (at times at least) make an attempt to finesse some sentences and words in these languages to differentiate them. And still mostly speak English/whatever, but whatever the actual language that the most characters speak tends to be referred to as "Common" in the individual play sessions.

#100434 Posted by Jungala (698 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso: Its not the same! You can't be the plucky underdog when you can kill someone with your mind from across the room! You need to defeat them honorably, by blasting them from under the table!

#100435 Posted by Animus_ (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@rosso: Not even a protocol droid could calculate the odds on that one.

But yeah that's the same concept. It's a way to say there's another language but not go through the trouble of making one,

#100436 Posted by Feral Nova (58210 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to be a Jedi... but realistically I’m a Latina with a short fuse... so I would end up being a sith.

#100437 Posted by Hawkshade (4947 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to be a Jedi... but realistically I’m a Latina with a short fuse... so I would end up being a sith.

#100438 Posted by Grimmwald (3329 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to do a Star Wars RP but they usually die really quickly.

#100439 Posted by Jungala (698 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I'd be the one who loses patience with both extremes and eventually wrecks them both, lol.

#100440 Posted by The_Catalyst (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I mean the Jedi aren't prescribing their way of life to everyone in the galaxy. They're concerned with Force users in a galaxy full of people who have little or bio access to the Force.

Their philosophy is meant, in my opinion, to temper the way a person with power is meant to act. We wouldn't hand a man an AK-47 and say "Let your passions drive you."

It's an unfortunate truth of life in the SW universe, but a connection to the force starts at birth (I think). This means that if children do grow up with this connection, chances are their emotions are going to overtake them and then BAM, playground full of dead kids cuz somebody rolled a 1 on a Dex save.

I'm not saying the Jedi are perfect, but the force is a powerful weapon. If we were force sensitive of course we'd want to use that to pursue our passions and such, but I'm pretty sure everyone else who couldn't lift a couple metric tons worth of boulders would rather we joined the cult where we meditate til we're so relaxed we don't really care whether we die or not cuz we'd just come back blue and shimmery.

#100441 Posted by Hawkshade (4947 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_catalyst: Interesting argument, eventually gun control but for force powers. Clever angle to come at it from, I like it.

#100442 Posted by The_Catalyst (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade: Thank you! But as long as we're in the confessionals I'd like to say that I miss your mother. Was kinda hoping she could whip McClain back into shape.

#100443 Posted by Emperor_von_Doom (3995 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna do a complete overhaul on all this lore.

#100444 Posted by Hawkshade (4947 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_catalyst: She was the best. And the worst. But also the best.

#100445 Posted by The_Catalyst (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkshade: She's not dead, right? I've been outta the loop, but she can't be dead. Nah. Couldn't be.

Can I pm you? I'm just gonna go ahead and pm you. I have too many questions and gushing fanboyisms to dole out to do it in public.

#100446 Posted by Rosso (5404 posts) - - Show Bio

I also have a low-key messiah complex that aligns more with the Sith.

#100447 Posted by Hawkshade (4947 posts) - - Show Bio
#100448 Edited by Grimmwald (3329 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'm going to create a Sith-inspired character for the nU. Morally justified and a wielder of the forbidden/dark side of my own version of the Force. I just need a look, LOL.

#100449 Posted by Rosso (5404 posts) - - Show Bio

Vanilla incense is making me crave sweets.

#100450 Posted by Jungala (698 posts) - - Show Bio