Universe Creation Guide

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

Since universe creation seems to be a hot topic at the moment, I thought this might be constructive. These are some of the questions/potential issues you may want to give some thought to if you are or are even entertaining the notion of creating a new RPG universe.

Please note that these are simply guidelines, not rules! As long as your universe is in compliance with site and forum rules, feel free to disregard anything here, but as a tough but loving father once said “if you fall out of that tree and break both your legs, don't come running to me!”

• How “new” is your universe going to be? Is it going to be a complete “clean slate” (everything must be 100% new)? Can you port in existing characters/canon? If so, what (if any) adjustments do you need to make, or is this a multiverse situation where they can come in with everything they currently have (including memories of other universes) intact? Will it be an alternative reality that splits off an existing universe? If so, at what point are you splintering off?
  • How will you designate threads that are unique to your universe, to avoid confusion?
  • Who is the OOC governing body of your universe going to be? Is it going to be entirely under your authority, or will there be a CoE (or equivalent)? If the latter, how will they be picked: by you, by vote, by random drawing, etc? If one goes MIA, what will the process be for it to continue to function?
  • What, if any, specific rules will your universe have? Will you have rules governing empires, governments and elections, major world damage, religion/mythology, etc?
  • Is there an approval process for creating locations or other types of threads, or will it be free-for-all?
  • Are established “real world” locations (NYC, Tokyo, Mars, etc) assumed to already exist? Can anyone create a specific thread for one if it doesn’t already exist, or will there be an approval process?
  • What about “real life” people: world leaders, celebrities, etc? If they exist in your universe, what rules govern their use? Can they be used as NPCs? As PCs? If so, what rules (if any) govern this?

These are just the guidelines I came up with, based on my own observations and experience. If anyone else has insight they’d like to share, feel free to do so below.

Cesc_Bo_Vera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro-Active AF

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nordok  Moderator

@cesc_bo_vera:

Like I said, I'm not trying to come across as being negative with my criticisms. I really do want folks to get creative with ideas for getting the juices flowing again, and I want to see their ideas work!

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ParagonxXx

@nordok: I would also add this:

• Running a universe is hard work, so who is going to keep things running if you (the architect) takes a break? Any universe needs a backup plan.
Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

@nordok: I would also add this:

• Running a universe is hard work, so who is going to keep things running if you (the architect) takes a break? Any universe needs a backup plan.

Universe explodes; everyone dies.

Next!

;P

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nordok: *LOL* Okay, I've resolved never to play Chess with you. ~_^

Cesc_Bo_Vera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not gonna create a universe

I'm going to create....a Multi
I'm going to create....a Multi

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cesc_bo_vera: SOLD! I'd be down with that and would play in it. ^_^

Cesc_Bo_Vera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paragonxxx: LOL called my bluff. Now I'm might actually have to hold myself to it. Wanna help?

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Backstabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the idea of all these universes. All it means to me is that certain players can't play together!

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backstabber: Think of it this way. In every universe, there is always someone who needs a Backstabber! He's such an awesome guy, he exists everywhere! Hehe. ^_^

Backstabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paragonxxx: Well yes of course, the Backstabber is Awesomeness

But I hate every time I start to play a game, the first question asked is "What Universe are you in?"

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backstabber: Yes, I can see how that can be a bit bothersome. Not to worry, though, your awesomeness will overcome that. ^_^

Cesc_Bo_Vera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cesc_Bo_Vera

@backstabber: I believe this thread is more about helpful tips, observations, expectations, potential rules, guidelines, etc, users may encounter in the event they are considering starting a ‘successful’ and ‘sustainable’ new universe. CV2 is still the only new u

Unless you mean my earlier post in which case no worries. A true multi verse, like the what if series, would cross pollinate.

Backstabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cesc_bo_vera: Oh no, I completely understand the necessity of a thread like this. I was just saying last time there was a new universe, it got confusing for a while. Or at least for a newbie as I was back then.

Ivana_Mankhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm creating one

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By shanana

Just some advice. There's no rule that says you guys have to start your universe in the Common Era, you can start in literally any era. (Like we did with Earth-6). Also history doesn't need to flow in the same path that ours did.

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers