The RPG Hall Of Fame

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@joe_locke: I don't understand what you are trying to say with your first paragraph.

Five months is a better resolve for this year than waiting for an entirely new year.

I don't see how this is true. Its possible that five months might not even be enough time (though I hope that won't be the case.)

Secondly, a delay until August might very well turn into a delay until January because of how frequently we miss dates and are late on things. (Which is normal in a volunteer organization.) A delay until August doesn't really do anything except re-creating the same problem next year and shifting the date to August does nothing but move the date around (and may end up causing the real date of the HoF to be around December/January lol).

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@lady_liberty: But if we wait five months...it'll still fall closer into this year, and be considered more of a special circumstance delay with the HoF next year being around it's usual time.

@lady_liberty said:

@joe_locke:

Also how is it pointless to switch the HoF date if that's basically what you're suggesting?

Changing the HoF date doesn't resolve the problem, just moves an arbitrary number around. Its change for the sake of change rather than directed change to resolve a specific issue.

But again, your basically arguing for me against yourself here. Five months is a better resolve for this year than waiting for an entirely new year. We don't need to skip an entire year.

I am still of the same mind. I think its completely asinine to skip a year.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#903  Edited By Joe_Locke

@lady_liberty: I'm saying a five-month wait makes it the circumstantially delayed HoF of 2016 rather than the year the HoF was skipped. Even if by equivalence the HoF of one year doesn't compare to the HoF of another doesn't mean that class doesn't deserve to be recognized. Maybe we don't have shining all-stars doing the same calibur or type of work as a previous class but they still may have earned their spot in this year in other ways. So why skip it? Better still an HoF done again in March of 2017 means we get some inactives in there who deserve it as well this year, leaving more room for actives players to be on the 2017 class, and only two months out from January.

If missing the date is a problem my phone is the truth. I say 'ok google remind me to bring up HoF on August 1st' and we'll be gtg lol

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: I'm saying a five-month wait makes it the circumstantially delayed HoF of 2016 rather than the year the HoF was skipped. Even if by equivalence the HoF of one year doesn't compare to the HoF of another doesn't mean that class doesn't deserve to be recognized. Maybe we don't have shining all-stars doing the same calibur or type of work as a previous class but they still may have earned their spot in this year in other ways. So why skip it? Better still an HoF done again in March of 2017 means we get some inactives in there who deserve it as well this year, leaving more room for actives players to be on the 2017 class, and only two months out from January.

If missing the date is a problem my phone is the truth. I say 'ok google remind me to bring up HoF on August 1st' and we'll be gtg lol

I agree 100%

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke:

Maybe we don't have shining all-stars doing the same calibur or type of work as a previous class but they still may have earned their spot in this year in other ways.

Well, no lol. Content, writing skill and impact are the measurements for HoF inclusion. It isn't suppose to be a participation trophy with a "Well, maybe you weren't all that but we've gotta have four inductees every year so welcome to the HoF!". Right now.. that's kinda what it would be.

And the reason is they haven't had enough time. But because they haven't had enough time to reach that point we can't say 'Oh, well Bob and Joe will probably get there someday but I don't think Frank will so I'll vote for Bob and Joe'. The only way to have a fair vote is to vote on things people have already done. Maybe Bob will never log in again and Joe won't pan out and Frank is the guy. We won't know until it happens and it hasn't happened yet.

Right now it isn't possible to have a legitimate vote. Any vote would be a participation trophy at worst and a shot in the dark at best. Give them time to show what they can do, time to earn their place in the HoF and time to prove they are the ones on their own.

Every year for the rest of the CVnU and the rest of whatever universe comes after that? Its not going to happen lol. Things will always be delayed and take longer than they should and that's okay; nobody is making a paycheck here.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#906  Edited By Joe_Locke

@lady_liberty: Nah not like that at all. I'm saying maybe they don't operate on grand scales, but they make impacts in smaller doses. No different than having one big meal or six small ones, yet both being the same amount of food. The writing quality is great, the content of the writing is equal. They just don't blow your mind away with a single big thing. Metaphorically if this were the heroes hall of fame- while we don't have a lot of Supermen here right now we've got a lot of cops and firefighters (think about it before you clown me I promise it makes sense lol). They don't work on the same scale of impact but their actions have had impact. I think they should be recognized.

@lady_liberty said:

@joe_locke:

Every year for the rest of the CVnU and the rest of whatever universe comes after that? Its not going to happen lol. Things will always be delayed and take longer than they should and that's okay; nobody is making a paycheck here.

It's a pretty dope phone.

But nah I didn't say anything like being the guy who calls the round forever, just that if it being prolonged to not kicking off until September is your issue I'll make sure personally that it's not one.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke: If the quality and level of impact and everything were the same, just divided into smaller chunks, I'd agree. That's basically what Longshot was. But that hasn't happened.

That isn't my issue. Setting the HoF vote in August would result in it happening around December/January most of the time, being the same thing as simply skipping a year.

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

I'll set the thread up tonight unless somebody from the last class wants to (cc: @arquitenens, who I believe is the only fully active inductee from last year).

^_^

I appreciate the care-able mention; but honestly I'm of mostly the same mind as LL. We have many of the same premises, although perhaps some different bases, but our conclusions are basically the same and I haven't disagreed with a point she's made (thus far; still catching up, but I kinda see the general pattern).

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

@arquitenens: Yeah, I was gonna delete that and then forgot lol. This was prior to the ongoing conversation, but regardless it wouldn't be getting started tonight anyways.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke: If the quality and level of impact and everything were the same, just divided into smaller chunks, I'd agree. That's basically what Longshot was. But that hasn't happened.

That isn't my issue. Setting the HoF vote in August would result in it happening around December/January most of the time, being the same thing as simply skipping a year.

What makes you say that?

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke: Because we're usually very late. People talk about it a couple of times like 'Hey, wasn't the HoF suppose to happen?' and then a couple weeks later we sort out who should do it this year, then they eventually get the thread going, then a month or so after that the voting is done. Not every time, but most of the time.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: Nah I don't think it would take that long. It's such a simple thing to setup. I can see early to mid september being when all votes are in and locked.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke: I don't know where you get that idea. Notice we're talking about maybe doing a HoF in April lol.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: Yeah but that's because we didn't have anybody to say it's that time again. After this whole debate I don't have a problem taking responsibility for the one in August starting on time.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#915  Edited By lady_liberty

@joe_locke: And you might do that once, or maybe twice. But not for the rest of the lifetime of the CVnU and then the next universe.

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: He suggests as if we do the voting 5 months from now. It maybe April now, but five months from now would be September.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Are you saying we just stop doing HoF because someone's not always going to be there to call for it to start? I don't get what future years have to do with it.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke: I said that an August start time would be more like December/January most of the time.

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has been mentioned a couple times, in the way of (last year) "hey, we should be coming up on HoF season soon," and passing remarks this year about it being that time (or past that time), but as far as I could tell (what it seemed) no one wanted to be the one to take it (or the ones who did want got busy/forgot/decided against/whatever).

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has been mentioned a couple times, in the way of (last year) "hey, we should be coming up on HoF season soon," and passing remarks this year about it being that time (or past that time), but as far as I could tell (what it seemed) no one wanted to be the one to take it (or the ones who did want got busy/forgot/decided against/whatever).

I have my votes prepared. I honestly don't care when the HoF season takes place, but I do feel that it is ridiculous to skip an entire year. Unless activity was completely dead, otherwise I see no reason that things should not carry on as usual.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#921  Edited By Joe_Locke

@lady_liberty:I get what your point was there but I don't get what

@lady_liberty said:

But not for the rest of the lifetime of the CVnU and then the next universe.

this has to do with anything.

@arquitenens said:

I'm going off of my weak memory but doesn't it usually end up being around this time, Spring? I mean we definitely forget, no question. But I think it always ends up around march to May, more or less. Might as well just make the first day of spring the official date from August and out, which I think is march 21st.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke: I'm confused about your confusion lol. You want to push the HoF back to a date that would mean it would be held in December/January most of the time. This effectively skips a year (the first time it happens), which is what you have been arguing against.

If we push it back to August/September and it happens in December/January, then we end up skipping a year anyway which is what you don't want to do. Pushing it back to August just means we slowly skip a year over a longer period of time and pretend we didn't, rather than deliberately skipping a year now when there is a good reason to skip a year.

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke: To be honest I dunno because I don't really care too much about the HoF, but I think it usually starts around January...and delays until a bit later for some reason or another. But I think January is the official season when people start going "hey, shouldn't we have...?"

Someone could probably do the math for the previous years but I'm too lazy to even do RP-things, let alone work math for this thing that I just said I don't care a whole lot about.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: Again nah. I figure if the date for 2016's s delayed until August 15th, by September 30th (MAX) we'll have our final four. I don't know where the extra months come in.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#925  Edited By lady_liberty

@lady_liberty: Again nah. I figure if the date for 2016's s delayed until August 15th, by September 30th (MAX) we'll have our final four. I don't know where the extra months come in.

This year, maybe. Then next year.. maybe.. then the year after that and the year after that? No way. Eventually it gets pushed back to December or January and a year is lost, but inadvertently.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: Well nah I was just saying to Zaubs it'd make sense to just keep it around this time, Spring, moving forward. August will just be the one odd time it was done later.

@joe_locke:

Someone could probably do the math for the previous years but I'm too lazy to even do RP-things, let alone work math for this thing that I just said I don't care a whole lot about.

lol I hear you.

Orion_Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#927  Edited By Orion_Savage

Surely we'll have members of the forum competent enough not to push it back that far?

Shit, I'm young enough so that I'll be on CV until cv is shutdown, so I myself can handle that lol

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke: We already went over this. If you do one in August, then you do one in the spring you end up compressing the time period so small that we have this same problem again because we have two HoF's too close together.

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The snobbery is getting on my nerves, I'll tell you that much. Not a single one of my posts have been responded to, take note of that RP community.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: I hear you, six months is a short period of time... I guess we'll just have to make the new date August.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke: We have gone over both of these possibilities several times.

If we delay until August then we push the problem forward because we just have the same issue again next year when its time for a new HoF.

But if we set the date permanently at August then we end up skipping a year anyway the very first time there is a delay to December/January. There will eventually be such a delay. Guaranteed. When this happens we'll end up with an elongated wait in a period that doesn't necessarily need one, THEN a compressed period before the next HoF if it is on time.

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naamah_obyzouth: To be fair, most of your posts have consisted of (basically) "I agree" to Surkit's points, and "I know who I'm voting for. I don't think we should skip a year." Which [to me, just personally] (a) doesn't necessitate response, and/or (b) makes your thoughts "responded to" by proxy when Surkit's points are responded to.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: Yeah I suppose no matter how you slice it we should just have it now.

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naamah_obyzouth: To be fair, most of your posts have consisted of (basically) "I agree" to Surkit's points, and "I know who I'm voting for. I don't think we should skip a year." Which [to me, just personally] (a) doesn't necessitate response, and/or (b) makes your thoughts "responded to" by proxy when Surkit's points are responded to.

True enough. It is common curiosity to respond when someone responds directly to another user however. I put in the effort of direct commenting with specific individuals, in order to open a pathway to communication...

Why wait a year, when there are users ready to vote?

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_locke: We have been over that as well, but sure we can go over it again.

Arquitenens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naamah_obyzouth: Is that rhetorical?

No. I am basically saying we should take poll. If there are many users ready to vote, and only a select few that feel we should wait. Then we should carry on with the voting, if the majority feels we should wait than we wait.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lady_liberty: I've just been messing with you the last two posts. I see your points and almost lean your way. But Naamah's got one too.

@arquitenens said:

No. I am basically saying we should take poll. If there are many users ready to vote, and only a select few that feel we should wait. Then we should carry on with the voting, if the majority feels we should wait than we wait.

Throw one up.

Orion_Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arquitenens said:

I made a poll.

Most of the forum so far agrees it should be delayed but not skipped.

Poll

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess that's that.

Renn_Kelen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#941  Edited By Renn_Kelen

Liberty does have a point.

If we delay; do we do it in January next year and have this talk all over again?

I think skipping the year and waiting wouldn't hurt.

If anything it'll give those who haven't had enough time now to prove they are HOF worthy to prove it. There are a couple of people active right now I can say will most likely be HOF worthy if the year was skipped. Potentially if it was delayed. Not right now, though.

Just remember however, what would delaying achieve? Do we skip it next year? You just can't have two HOF classes that close to each other. It's either skip this year or cause trouble for the next. Delaying just delays the issue.

Ultimately it's up to the community at large to vote. But I think the wrong decision will devalue that Hall of Fame class.

Joe_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm cool either way honestly. Just think it's a shame if nobody gets a shot this year.

Kineticist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My two cents on the matter.

• There are loads of older writers who are worthy of an induction who are no longer active, just look at Longshot getting in on class 8 when he has been inactive since around class 6. Can think of a good few just from that pool but a legends class doesnt really work as most newer users won't have seen or read any volume of the work.
  • The current RPG climate has plenty of POTENTIAL HOF's in it but there isnt a wealth of inductee material just yet. There are people on the cusp and people who are hitting their stride and will certainly hit the HOF with the extra momentum gathered by a delay.
  • In short i see the delay as a good option for the new blood, the others being a class of legends/ older writers who we could essentially put in on a buy a class 8.5 as mentioned above ( Mercury, Cly etc), exclusively for people who where/are deserving but aren't around now.
Ishmael_Strix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#944  Edited By Ishmael_Strix

I wanna see someone get in having only ever used the default av ;)

#SoHood

Aoife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Delaying it just looks like an unnecessary complication to me.

Not really invested in it enough to bother arguing about it, though.

Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care, one way or the other. I just don't get the point of skipping a year, just because there was a delay. We would still be looking at the year in question. Unless of course, there was no activity, in which case it would be unavoidable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Why don’t we bring this back?

Avatar image for deactivated-6030536d76c91
deactivated-6030536d76c91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points